• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If that was true
Trollface titan wouldn't have eaten Eren's mom. He even yells "don't do thiiiiiis", unlike with Hannes this week.

Not if it's a subconscious thing he can hardly control.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I really don't know what you're talking about. Momeater currently is in the area between Wall Rose and Wall Maria. That's the area you think is "safe".

Not safe. Just not any more dangerous than any other area outside the wall. In some ways it'd be better since they have loads of places to use 3d manuver gear in the city proper.

Tenrius

Some random thoughts and speculation here.

Ymir spending 60 years inside of a Titan without ageing suggests that we will possibly see people from the more distant past, possibly from before the walls were built. It's reasonable to assume that the Titans in the walls serve as gigantic stasis pods for the human builders.

I also have a feeling that Eren's dad might actually be one of those people from the past or is somehow in contact with them. His knowledge seems to be just too advanced in comparison to literally any other character in the series.

On an unrelated note, was this confirmed to be true? I wonder why it is important that humans have originally come from another continent. It's highly unlikely, but might these continents actually be different planets? It's also unclear how did the titans get to this new sacred continent (or if they have been living on both continents all along).

It might sound strange, but the premise of this series somehow reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. However, unlike Battlestar Galactica, the only thing that really interests me is the world, while the characters and the actual story are not that great. The action scenes are nice in the anime though.

Kaizer

Banned
Just got caught up on every chapter last night, what an exhilarating ride that was! Man, the monkey titan has by far been my biggest "WTF" moment of the series thus far. I'm really interested in knowing just what the hell is the deal with the titans. Ymir remarking she was "roaming around for 60 years" was another WTF.

My gut is telling me they're all humans and its pretty obvious the villagers were absent from Connie's village because they were the titans roaming around in the area, hence no breach in the wall. But what or who caused their transformation and why now? I'm glad we finally got an answer to why Reiner and Bertholdt want Eren so bad - he got dat HAKI.

Speculation: Eren is "the worst person in the world" to get the ability to play Titan Pikmin because of his constant unthinking anger. The reason why feral Titans attempt to eat humans by default is because a previous "Coordinate" over a century ago managed to give all Titans the command to devour humans in sight for whatever reason, and for some reason was unable to rescind the order.

If Eren makes some similarly undiscriminating command out of anger to a mass group of Titans and is unable to call them off, then the Titans will rampage without thought against whatever target he picks (like Reiner and Berthold's faction).

Speculation: Eren is "the worst person in the world" to get the ability to play Titan Pikmin because of his constant unthinking anger. The reason why feral Titans attempt to eat humans by default is because a previous "Coordinate" over a century ago managed to give all Titans the command to devour humans in sight for whatever reason, and for some reason was unable to rescind the order.

If Eren makes some similarly undiscriminating command out of anger to a mass group of Titans and is unable to call them off, then the Titans will rampage without thought against whatever target he picks (like Reiner and Berthold's faction).

Makes sense. I wonder how he has that ability though. Maybe something to do with what his Dad injected him with. Perhaps he's a special type of titan that is capable of commanding the inferior versions.

JulianImp

Perhaps Rainer said that because Eren's way too quick to direct his anger at whoever he thinks is "the bad guy", when the show keeps showing us that there're many things going on in the shadows that neither the main cast not the audience are yet aware off. His black-and-white morality could lead to him murdering lots of people simply because he thinks they're his enemies, and he mostly relies on having some good thinker behind him that points where his anger should be directed towards (luckily for him, Armin fits that role perfectly).

People were arguing that Eren's dad was a madman because he injected his mentally unstable and rage-filled son with titan serum, but he's slowly becoming even more powerful and deadly. It seems like one of the show's subthemes could be how giving excessive power and responsibility to an unstable kid could end up backfiring at any moment, and how much he relies on the ones around him to ground him in reality and make sure he doesn't just go on a rampage.

Branduil

This chapter really wasn't Isayama's best work. The art quality is all over the place, and the editing is wack; it just cuts to Hannes' dying suddenly, which kind of ruins the impact.

Feels like he spent all his time drawing Mikasa smiling and then had to finish the rest of the chapter in 3 days.

Reiner and Bertholdt are pretty nuts as well. Those two were sent to exterminate everybody in the walls as children. The trauma was so bad that Reiner developed a split personality. I'm guessing those two were sent there to grab the power for their village's gain, screwing over the people in the walls. Which shouldn't matter since their orders were to exterminate everybody within the walls.

Sinfamy

So I just finished the anime, I loved it completely.
As I am not a fan of reading manga, is there a list of all major events that have happened so far since the end of episode 25? Bullet point preferred.

As I am not a fan of reading manga, is there a list of all major events that have happened so far since the end of episode 25? Bullet point preferred.

Might as well just wiki it if you aren't going to read the manga, though I wouldn't really recommend it. Where's the fun in that?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't know if there's a bullet point version anywhere but the SnK Wikia has summaries of all chapters. Here if you want to ruin it for yourself, you can start at the end of chapter 33:

http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Chapters

There isn't a lot of manga to read after the point where the anime stopped though, and it's also a fun read. Unless you really hate reading manga I'd suggest powering through the chapters.

LogicStep

Some random thoughts and speculation here.

Ymir spending 60 years inside of a Titan without ageing suggests that we will possibly see people from the more distant past, possibly from before the walls were built. It's reasonable to assume that the Titans in the walls serve as gigantic stasis pods for the human builders.

I also have a feeling that Eren's dad might actually be one of those people from the past or is somehow in contact with them. His knowledge seems to be just too advanced in comparison to literally any other character in the series.

On an unrelated note, was this confirmed to be true? I wonder why it is important that humans have originally come from another continent. It's highly unlikely, but might these continents actually be different planets? It's also unclear how did the titans get to this new sacred continent (or if they have been living on both continents all along).

It might sound strange, but the premise of this series somehow reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. However, unlike Battlestar Galactica, the only thing that really interests me is the world, while the characters and the actual story are not that great. The action scenes are nice in the anime though.

I'm guessing the monkey titan is someone from way back when. Someone in a high position of power.

ElFly

Maybe the previous "Coordinate" ordered thousands or millions of titans to line themselves in the three walls, basically committing Titan genocide. Maybe they want to revert the wall, or prevent something similar from happening again.

Since the wall titan looked like the Colossal one, chances are they are shifters, so the previous Coordinate was powerful enough to order around sentient Titans (Bert, Reiner and Ymir hear Eren but are able to resist). Also makes sense if the Titans were living weapons, to have some way to control them all.

Maybe that's why they infiltrated; simply killing all the humans isn't enough, if they kill the humans that know how to revert the titan walls too.

I think I must have missed something about Mikasa's unseen tattoo? When was it mentioned? I keep seeing it referenced and I just don't even know what it is.

Also I had a bad feeling about (ch 50)
Hannes - I had a feeling he was on his way out last chapter
. At least we finally got some idea as to why Eren is so important. Also thank god
Erwin wasn't chomped.

Zoe

I think I must have missed something about Mikasa's unseen tattoo? When was it mentioned? I keep seeing it referenced and I just don't even know what it is.

Her mother had just finished putting it on her right before the thugs busted in.

That tattoo thing is pretty interesting. Doesn't really stand out as being important but I guess that's the way this manga seems to work. Anyone have any examples of when she gets those headaches? I must have skipped right over them because I sure didn't notice anything.

LogicStep

You guys say that Eren's power is the reason Reiner and co. are so insistent on getting him but how did they know about it if we just found out about it this last chapter? Did they sense it before or something? What am I missing?

ElFly

You guys say that Eren's power is the reason Reiner and co. are so insistent on getting him but how did they know about it if we just found out about it this last chapter? Did they sense it before or something? What am I missing?

Nah, it makes sense that they would want to take away the one titan shifter that wasn't on their side.

Nah, it makes sense that they would want to take away the one titan shifter that wasn't on their side.

But before Bertholdt and Reiner knew he could control Titans, Reiner mentions they don't need to wipe out humanity if Eren will go with them. How could kidnapping one titan shifter who wasn't aligned with them remove the need to destroy humanity? They've got to know a lot more about Eren than just his titan controlling abilities if they were able to come to that conclusion.

They knew that Eren wasn't on their side, and suspected/knew that his Titan powers had a different source than their own. It's possible that they also suspected that he was the "Coordinate" because of this but were hoping that they could have gotten him home to confirm it somehow (or possibly steal the power in some way) before it awoke.

Erigu

Odd you'd edit my post to reflect what you keep saying.
Uh-huh.
Anyway, I'm glad I could help you understand the geography a bit better, even if that didn't change your own position one bit. This discussion might not have been quite as fruitless as it looked!

Observations:

- The people who Reiner/Bert/Annie work for seem to have/create specialized Titan shifters (Colossal/Armored/Female) and are otherwise experts at utilizing the ability.

- Ape Titan it can be assumed created abnormal or malformed Titans (Connie's mom was too misproportioned to move from the house).

- Ymir stole her shifting ability from Reiner's group, and has a group of talking Titans that are her people and worship her.

- All of the Titans that share similar characteristics as Eren/Ymir/Ape can command respect from Titans.

In short: I don't know what the hell is going on.

Goddamn Hannes, what horrible demise =(

One think that keeps me wondering every time that happens: How come someone just can't notice a giant mofo running towards you to get you from behind, or to get someone who is just in front of you?

FlipWilson

Neo Member
HOLY SHIT!!! no wonder why those hybrid Titans want Eren!!!

he's more useful as a mind-controlling human than is is a Titan!!!!

ElFly

But before Bertholdt and Reiner knew he could control Titans, Reiner mentions they don't need to wipe out humanity if Eren will go with them. How could kidnapping one titan shifter who wasn't aligned with them remove the need to destroy humanity? They've got to know a lot more about Eren than just his titan controlling abilities if they were able to come to that conclusion.

Them not destroying humanity because of Eren only makes sense depending on Reiner and Berthold objectives, that we don't know.

I think this affirmation doesn't gel well with my theory of them wanting to revert the Titan Walls (which would destroy the last refuge of mankind in the process).

Maybe they wanted whatever was that Eren got injected that allowed him to become a Titan, which they may have learned of after Eren transformed and shared his story of his dad injecting him with stuff. Yet somehow Bert and Reiner don't seem to give any fucks about the basement.

Peco

Pretty incredible that Hannes survived for 50 chapters. RIP Drunko.

So I was thinking, with this new power, could Eren sort of communicate with the Titans in the wall? I don't think Historia will say much about this shit.

kirblar

Them not destroying humanity because of Eren only makes sense depending on Reiner and Berthold objectives, that we don't know.

I think this affirmation doesn't gel well with my theory of them wanting to revert the Titan Walls (which would destroy the last refuge of mankind in the process).

Maybe they wanted whatever was that Eren got injected that allowed him to become a Titan, which they may have learned of after Eren transformed and shared his story of his dad injecting him with stuff. Yet somehow Bert and Reiner don't seem to give any fucks about the basement.
They specifically avoided the walls in the two assaults, though. They didn't want to unleash the titans inside.

really thought misaka was
gonna die there

Plot armor is way too strong. Plus her buff from fans is astronomical.

ElFly said:

I wish more people gave a fuck about the basement. I was surprised back when Erwin announced it to the graduate troops like that because, at least in the anime, I think Reiner did briefly react. But it never seemed to pop up as important later when they kidnap Eren (maybe the manga shows something different). I think it was criminal not to reveal more of Bertholdt and Reiner's motives when they were up in the trees with Eren and Ymir though. That would have been prime time to clear up some old plot lines and lay the tracks with something new instead of just raining new questions from the sky while Eren went all out KFC on Reiner.

JulianImp

Yeah I thought everyone
except Eren
was doomed before I finished.

I'll never forget how much my perception of the show changed after episode five of the anime (when Eren gets eaten, only to come back with his newfound titan powers). Now, I think the more important characters won't be killed until the author needs to shove dramatism down our throats (not that I'm particularily against that).

I agree that it's kind of vexing when the series keeps weaving more and more new plot threads without answering any of them, but hopefully the payoff will be worth it.

Tizoc

So I decided to read the manga after the end of the anime and am now at Vol. 10
...WHAT THE FUCKING HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS THING?!!?
THEY'RE THE TWO TITANS FROM 5 YEARS AGO?! BUT WHAT ABOUT YMIR!? SHE DEVOURED THEIR FRIEND AS KIDS!?
WHAT IS FUCKING GOING ON AROUND HERE?!!?

Subitai

So I decided to read the manga after the end of the anime and am now at Vol. 10
...WHAT THE FUCKING HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS THING?!!?
THEY'RE THE TWO TITANS FROM 5 YEARS AGO?! BUT WHAT ABOUT YMIR!? SHE DEVOURED THEIR FRIEND AS KIDS!?
WHAT IS FUCKING GOING ON AROUND HERE?!!?
Again:

Total
Spoiler
Pandemonium

Total

Keep reading =)

Tizoc

OK read up til Chapter 50, this had better be the half way point of the series, lol.
Here's my theory
Eren has the ability to 'telepathically' command or impose his will so it effects other Titans, which explains why the one that killed his mother was assaulted by the other Titans, and then how he directed his rage towards Reiner and the Titans went after him. Whoever Annie and the others are allied to wants this ability for some reason.

Truth be told, once every mystery is answered I just want Eren to give them the middle finger and slaughter these idiots, because of how they ruined his life. Fuckers should've known better.
In the end either he and Mikasa die and Armin chronicles their exploits passing it on to the next generation...or we could just get a Happy Ending to this Horror Story and the 3 live happily ever after til the end of their days~

Top Bottom