• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

JDSN

Banned
Damn, this manga can nail the feeling of shit being hopeless in ways that only Berserk was possible before magic was introduced.

Eren's Dad's monkey?

The ape Titan wasnt sure that humans spoke japanese until he talked with the guy that loved smelling people.

Soma

imRl7jCl21Yjx.png

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
?
As we've seen these past few episodes and back during the female titan arc, going outside the walls certainly isn't safe, and the basement is even farther than where they are now, so...

Basement's not far at all. It's right in the walls. One gate was breeched and the titans have no real reason to chiil out there with no people there.

ElFly

This is kind of a dumb power. Let's see where it goes.

Momeater Titan has the best trollface ever.

Monkey Titan is probably another "coordinate" (fucking japanese authors and their loose use of english words) who can create titans, and control them. The humans having a guy like that too is a biggie. Doubt that Monkey Titan is Eren's dad. Chances are that Eren ate his dad after being injected with the serum the first time.

Dunno why Ymir didn't go back with Historia. That made no sense to me.

Getting to the basement got easier, but it is still freaking far away, and the monkey titan or reiner and berthold may be waiting. At the point they are right now they are still super far away from the basement. IIRC Wall Maria covers an area more or less equivalent to Texas.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is kind of a dumb power. Let's see where it goes.

Momeater Titan has the best trollface ever.

Monkey Titan is probably another "coordinate" (fucking japanese authors and their loose use of english words) who can create titans, and control them. The humans having a guy like that too is a biggie. Doubt that Monkey Titan is Eren's dad. Chances are that Eren ate his dad after being injected with the serum the first time.
They showed his dad riding away after pinning Eren down in the woods.

LogicStep

Apparently he has that ability, yes.
One would argue Annie did as well in a way, right?

Cue 20 chapters of him have no freaking clue how to use it...
Nah, her scream made them go for her, Eren can make a target apparently.

That is super useful because as you can see by what's happening to Reiner, the power is in the numbers.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Speculation

The way they showed Eren doing something that flash compelled the other titans seemed reminiscent of when Mikasa snapped as a child and went berserk on the kidnappers. This could have been Eren triggering the shift in mental states. If correct, this has a bunch of implications:

Eren has had this power dormant in him before the injection
Eren can control humans as well as titans.
Or alternatively, Mikasa may be a titan too unknowingly
Or lastly, this power affects the brain to act upon baser desires and may actually be responsible for humans turning titan.

It's far-fetched and doesn't really have much story support, but I do think there might be a link.

Erigu

Basement's not far at all. It's right in the walls.
Wall Maria. That's far enough, considering there's a whole bunch of titans between here and there.

One gate was breeched and the titans have no real reason to chiil out there with no people there.
? They do anyway. We know they do. If titans were only found near the largest intact wall, the survey corps wouldn't be having such a hard time.

"coordinate" (fucking japanese authors and their loose use of english words)
The author isn't using the English word in the original Japanese.

They showed his dad riding away after pinning Eren down in the woods.
I don't believe that's true.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Oh I don't remember that.

Only remember that dad said he was going to get memory loss (which hasn't happened I think?)

He suffered memory loss right after the injection. That's why his dad left him that cryptic note. There is also no supporting evidence that an injection instantly transforms one into a titan anyway. There is nothing to suggest he ate his dad at all.

? They do anyway. We know they do. If titans were only found near the largest intact wall, the survey corps wouldn't be having such a hard time.

No, the evidence shown in the comic is that the area Eren went into to toss that boulder was relatively empty. Titans are attracted to humans, but without humans, they have no reason to hang around. (Yes they don't need to eat, but they still seem to aimlessly wander around when they're not trying to chew on humans.) They only started coming through the hole again once Eren and crew started working near the hole.

Erigu

No, the evidence shown in the comic is that the area Eren went into to toss that boulder was relatively empty. Titans are attracted to humans, but without humans, they have no reason to hang around.
That was just something the characters bet on during the Trost battle, for a small area and over a short period of time. You can't apply that to what goes on outside the walls. Or, again, the survey corps could just do whatever the fuck they want, out there.

ElFly

The author isn't using the English word in the original Japanese.

Fucking translators! I guess it's the best they can do until the meaning is revealed, but I bet they get attached to it like they do with nakama or other weird stuff.

Fucking translators! I guess it's the best they can do until the meaning is revealed, but I bet they get attached to it like they do with nakama or other weird stuff.

Yeah I hate that shit, so annoying.

Cue the Just according to plan...I mean just according to Keikaku!!

ElFly

Speculation

The way they showed Eren doing something that flash compelled the other titans seemed reminiscent of when Mikasa snapped as a child and went berserk on the kidnappers. This could have been Eren triggering the shift in mental states. If correct, this has a bunch of implications:

Eren has had this power dormant in him before the injection
Eren can control humans as well as titans.
Or alternatively, Mikasa may be a titan too unknowingly
Or lastly, this power affects the brain to act upon baser desires and may actually be responsible for humans turning titan.

It's far-fetched and doesn't really have much story support, but I do think there might be a link.

If that was true
Trollface titan wouldn't have eaten Eren's mom. He even yells "don't do thiiiiiis", unlike with Hannes this week.

Erigu

What does that have to do with translators who keep using a Japanese word like "nakama" though?
Here, they translated the Japanese word "zahyô". "Coordinate" is an accurate English translation. I'm not sure what you're blaming them for.

ElFly

What does that have to do with translators who keep using a Japanese word like "nakama" though?
Here, they translated the Japanese word "zahyô". "Coordinate" is an accurate English translation. I'm not sure what you're blaming them for.

Maybe it will make sense when it is more clear what this coordinate is. Because it doesn't sound like a coordinate right now.

It will probably be quite a bit more chapters before Eren can actually control his new ability. He is just starting to be able to master turning into a Titan. With Hannes dying this is by far the saddest episodes. The one time he tries to make up for not fighting the Titan those many years ago and he dies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That was just something the characters bet on during the Trost battle, for a small area and over a short period of time. You can't apply that to what goes on outside the walls. Or, again, the survey corps could just do whatever the fuck they want, out there.
Still not an area outside the walls.

fallagin

So then it turns out that eren is a
Titan commander basically?

OMG then this could mean that
The titans are already working off of orders previously given like "Kill all humans and titans inhabited by humans."

wonzo

Banned
I wonder if Ymir has the same ability considering that one titan that mistakenly started worshipping someone that looked like her.

fallagin

Anyone else's eyes just sort of glaze over whenever Historia/Ymir interactions are happening? I have a hard time caring.

It could have pretty important impact later on in the story.
Since it looks like some people are going to want to kill historia. Basically it will help us see what role human leaders have to do with all this shit.

Erigu

Still not an area outside the walls.
Yes, it is.
Remember that bit with the female titan? That was an expedition "outside the walls". And yet they were just going in the area between Wall Rose and Wall Maria.
Wall Maria has fallen. The whole area between Wall Rose and Wall Maria has been taken over by titans and is now considered to be "outside the walls". Eren's town is now considered to be "outside the walls".
Getting to the basement? Not that easy.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yes, it is.
Remember that bit with the female titan? That was an expedition "outside the walls". And yet they were just going in the area between Wall Rose and Wall Maria.
Wall Maria has fallen. The whole area between Wall Rose and Wall Maria has been taken over by titans and is now considered to be "outside the walls". Eren's town is now considered to be "outside the walls".

It's no harder than going anywhere else outside the walls.

cLOUDo

Yes, it is.

why not use this..

http://i.minus.com/icWVj6kiFxkv7.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
And they never get all that far nor come back without heavy casualties.
C'mon, man.

This "area beyond the wall" is currently enclosed by a wall save for one hole. They have the run of the entire perimeter thanks to that wall. There's no risk in moving towards Eren's house until they descend proper.

Momeater is outside those walls. It stands to reason the walled area has become rather deserted.

Them avoiding going is is plot convenience rather than an actual serious impossible problem.

Erigu

This "area beyond the wall" is currently enclosed by a wall save for one hole.
It's been overran for years, now. That wall might as well not exist, at this point.

There's no risk in moving towards Eren's house
Except for, y'know, a whole lot of titans.
The series has made it quite clear that the survey corps are taking huge risks and losing a whole bunch of people whenever they attempt such an expedition.

Momeater is outside those walls. It stands to reason the walled area has become rather deserted.
I really don't know what you're talking about. Momeater currently is in the area between Wall Rose and Wall Maria. That's the area you think is "safe".

Top Bottom