• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

RP912

Banned
GODDAMMIT! Another wrestler :(!

RIP Piper

Even though he got trashed on here, there's no denying he was one of the best heels of all time.

He'll always be a cool motherfucker because of They Live.
they-live.jpg

Yep, this is where i'll remember him most from. RIP

GODDAMMIT! Another wrestler :(!

RIP Piper

Even though he got trashed on here, there's no denying he was one of the best heels of all time.

Personal views on his wrestling and promos aside though, wasn't he kind of a fairly open racist..? Or am I remembering him wrong?

klonere

Banned
I haven't watched in months. Is the WWE still jobbing out Ambrose and Cesaro?

Ambrose is Reigns' cheerleader at best. Cesaro might be getting a concerted push but probably going to end in nothing.

RIP Roddy, another legend who I don't know jack about :( I have seen They Live but not a single match by the Hot Rod.

The Attitude Era was trash.

Yep. When there wasn't homophobia or racism from the talent/commentary team, it was ALLLLL over the crowd. It's kinda hard to watch sometimes, honestly.

Ambrose is Reigns' cheerleader at best. Cesaro might be getting a concerted push but probably going to end in nothing.

RIP Roddy, another legend who I don't know jack about :( I have seen They Live but not a single match by the Hot Rod.

Bret Vs. Roddy is probably my favorite match with him. A really great story told in the ring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was this before or after the DX / Nation locker room angle? If after, could be a fan reacting to that.

Not sure what the timeline was between the invasion night of WCW and DX/Nation feud

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FYI those using WrassleGAF IRC it is being phased out. Inquire via PM if you're interested in keeping up, we will post about it later once the house is in order.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Time to re-watch Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper from Wrestlemania 8. The last time I think I enjoyed him.

Sad news for his kids. He was really into being a family man and being a part of their lives.

As much as it sucks, I'm glad it was from natural causes as opposed to some of the crazier stuff a lot of wrestlers ended up dying from. 61 is still damn young though :/

Gonna need a Put On These Glasses Match at SummerSlam, WWE. Tie it in with Green Arrow vs. Stardust. Arrow forces Stardust to put on the glasses, and he sees through his paint to Cody Rhodes underneath. And that's how the Stardust gimmick is put to rest.

RIP, Piper.

Zach

Yep. When there wasn't homophobia or racism from the talent/commentary team, it was ALLLLL over the crowd. It's kinda hard to watch sometimes, honestly.
I have this girl who is now a casual fan that sometimes watches with me and it blows her mind. I feel like I'm always saying in a clumsy half-explanation "...1998!"

Dude....that fucking roster man.

That era also did a great job of passing the torch to younger guys, and letting them share the spotlight with established talent.

Attitude era sticks out a lot due to nostalgia, but it's generally pretty trashy, and honestly, good matches aren't as common as a lot of people think they were. But when Ruthless Aggression came around, we got some damn good wrestling.

Something I loved so much about that era and the brand split back then, is that RAW and Smackdown almost felt like two completely different shows. Smackdown obviously being the better of the two, but when Evolution wasn't dominating RAW, it was pretty good too.

That era also did a great job of passing the torch to younger guys, and letting them share the spotlight with established talent.

Attitude era sticks out a lot due to nostalgia, but it's generally pretty trashy, and honestly, good matches aren't as common as a lot of people think they were. But when Ruthless Aggression came around, we got some damn good wrestling.

Something I loved so much about that era and the brand split back then, is that RAW and Smackdown almost felt like two completely different shows. Smackdown obviously being the better of the two, but when Evolution wasn't dominating RAW, it was pretty good too.

It's kind of a shame how Brock leaving around WM XX dismantled the whole brand though. JBL was thrust into the world title picture out of nowhere and Smackdown was filled with lame feuds and never really recovered. It was that time period that put the final nails in the coffin for the cruiserweight and women's divisions in WWE.

Entropia

No One Remembers
FYI those using WrassleGAF IRC it is being phased out. Inquire via PM if you're interested in keeping up, we will post about it later once the house is in order.

I keep forgetting we have that, I usually only joined when we had PPVs.

Are we moving to Discord?!?!

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe we should have the title changed to something like: "We're all out of bubble gum..."

It's kind of a shame how Brock leaving around WM XX dismantled the whole brand though. JBL was thrust into the world title picture out of nowhere and Smackdown was filled with lame feuds and never really recovered. It was that time period that put the final nails in the coffin for the cruiserweight and women's divisions in WWE.

Yep, Brock leaving seriously fucked everything up. They gave that man EVERYTHING. Off the top of my head, The Rock, Taker, Credible Big Show and of course Kurt. Who knows where Cena would even be if Lesnar just stuck around.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Damn sad way to end July. Piper is among my favorite heels of all time. Wrestling doesn't have heels like him anymore. I'm going to miss him. He was great in It's Always Sunny, too.

Fox318

Yep, Brock leaving seriously fucked everything up. They gave that man EVERYTHING. Off the top of my head, The Rock, Taker, Credible Big Show and of course Kurt. Who knows where Cena would even be if Lesnar just stuck around.
Cena was over as shit at XX

He would be in the same spot.

Top Bottom