• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australians.

Call me a cranky old bastard. But has anyone else in Australia noticed a lot more common use of American language in Australia recently? I see hear people referring to diapers instead of nappies, now fall instead of autumn, fries instead of chips. I used to hear it a bit, but it seems like I hear it everywhere now.

I feel like ringing up Alan Jones or something.

The really shit part of this is that photo and one event from recent years of improvements and diversification are cherry picked by the donating organisation and our media from a day where 4 others didn't attend the ceremony. Three women and an indigenous man were not present so the 6 white men are left in the photo making for some pretty shit optics these clowns picked up on and took away $90Mil in donations based on what appears to be bullshit fitting a narrative all to common these days.

“This list includes three women and an Indigenous man who were recognised for outstanding achievements in their fields of endeavour,” it said. “These honorary doctorates will be conferred at a later date.”

Here's some quotes from other news sources -

Since 2019, five of the six most recent senior leadership appointments within the university's executive team were women.

Their fellowship committee is chaired by a woman, with the remaining positions filled by one more woman and three men. None are people of colour.

Seems pretty fucking average to me, unless I'm missing something but half the articles out there omit these details. Shit journalism or biased journalism? You decide for yourself.

Call me a cranky old bastard. But has anyone else in Australia noticed a lot more common use of American language in Australia recently? I see hear people referring to diapers instead of nappies, now fall instead of autumn, fries instead of chips. I used to hear it a bit, but it seems like I hear it everywhere now.

Most of this comes from streaming shows, socials and YouTube shite. Aussies watch too much of it and gain those colloquialisms and accents even. Kids around my son and daughter's ages have such accents and terms. It's shite.

Most of this comes from streaming shows, socials and YouTube shite. Aussies watch too much of it and gain those colloquialisms and accents even. Kids around my son and daughter's ages have such accents and terms. It's shite.
Colloquialisms are one thing but there will be stern words coming if any kids in my family start speaking with an American accents.

Colloquialisms are one thing but there will be stern words coming if any kids in my family start speaking with an American accents.
Funny thing is I used to live in LA and NY for years. I've dropped my small accent gains over the years but I still say things like gas station instead of servo etc. My daughter has picked that up as well and my wife corrects her on it all the time. It's a never ending battle as I still chat with my sister living in USA and raised her yankee born there too. I sort of fall back into a mild accent here and there when I chat with her. We're all Aussie but I have some things from living abroad still, at least my/our claim isn't "I watched YouTube and now I'm a parrot kid". Wifey just wants to hold on to and perpetuate Aussie culture within our own family. Fair enough too.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Way too much American shit infiltrating Australia. The TV has a lot to do with it. Worst in the world, aside from the US - with exactly the same crap on it.

Maybe this CANZUK shit will bring it back to where it should be a bit, now the UK has decided it actually gives a fuck about Australia again after Brexit.

Bullet Club

I see hear people referring to diapers instead of nappies

Not really, but it wouldn't surprise me if it becomes more popular.

now fall instead of autumn

Never heard anyone in Australia call it fall.

fries instead of chips

Yes. A lot of non-Maccas restaurants are calling them that.

"Yo Dad, where's Mom? She was going to take me to the mall to buy some flip flops."

"They are called fuckin' thongs, ya little cunt!"

Not really, but it wouldn't surprise me if it becomes more popular.

Never heard anyone in Australia call it fall.

Yes. A lot of non-Maccas restaurants are calling them that.

"Yo Dad, where's Mom? She was going to take me to the mall to buy some flip flops."

"They are called fuckin' thongs, ya little cunt!"

Forgot another one I heard the other day. Faucet ... fucking faucet!

What about cookie vs biscuit? I think it's like a fries vs chips thing. not quite the same thing so ok to use

What about cookie vs biscuit? I think it's like a fries vs chips thing. not quite the same thing so ok to use
I think there’s a legitimate difference between a cookie and a biscuit. I’ll allow it haha

Although you reminded me of another couple of US terms that bug me for some reason. ‘Pizza pie’ and ‘Sandwich’ instead of hamburger.

Rockondevil

My child uses some that I'm not a fan of. Crosswalk and sidewalk are some I've noticed him using the last couple of weeks.
But he also uses Motocycle and bicycle which just get that nerve twinge too.

I think supermarkets are no longer selling Cobs Pop'd chips. Don't usually care when products, especially junk food, disappear but thought these were pretty good, especially the chili and sour cream. Their popcorn is still available and decent.

Ash Barty has retired from tennis, well for the second time. Here's what she had to say -

“But to be able to win Wimbledon, which was my dream — the one, true dream I wanted in tennis — that really changed my perspective. I just had that gut feeling after Wimbledon and had spoken to my team quite a lot about it.

“There was just a little part of me that wasn’t quite satisfied, wasn’t quite fulfilled. And then came the challenge of the Australian Open.

“That for me just feels like the perfect way — my perfect way — to celebrate what an amazing journey my tennis career has been.

“As a person, this is what I want. I want to chase after some other dreams that I’ve always wanted to do, and always had that really healthy balance, but I’m really, really excited.”

Barty added said she no loner has “the physical drive, the emotional want and everything it takes to challenge yourself at the very top level anymore”.

“I am spent. I just know physically I have nothing more to give and that, for me, is success,” she said.

“I’ve given absolutely everything I can to this beautiful sport of tennis and I’m really happy with that.”

Respect. Penultimate athletes work for so many years in terms of training, coaching, diet, physicality, travel and more that I'd totally want to retire and try something else while I'm young too. While I respect Fed and Nadal and Joker I do wonder to myself why do they keep pushing so hard for so long?

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It was always a constant source of embarrassment in the past when I Facetime'd people back in the UK from here in Cairns. The internet here was fucking appalling for so many years. Ten to fifteen years behind, easily. Now I'm on 100mb NBN and its not too bad (with dips in the evening sometimes), but we're still waaaaaaaaay behind most other developed countries. I'll be back in the UK in a few weeks, and can't say I'll be unhappy to get back to a constant 250mb.

Gotta love the vision of our prime minister taking a kid out. This is my dad on ski trips when I was kid, fucker would run down kids by accident all the time. Shit was hilarious. As a dad myself I've taken out my sons friends in footy a number of times, difference being my tackles were on purpose.

Typical media and asshats pushing a dangerous sentiment to this. FFS just have a laugh like a normal person, dad level event.

Also this parody account post was too good.

Last edited:
No idea where to put this, searched community forums, tried searching Australians/AusGAF etc. Whatever, posted here.

Domino’s Pizza in $1.5b sharemarket wipe-out amid cost of living pressures.

Its CEO admitted that an “embarrassing” move backfired for the company as it hiked up prices to cover inflation, which ultimately scared away customers.

Just more proof the RBA don't have a fucking clue and are just shifting people's money to banks again during hard times. The twat in charge of the RBA believes raising interest rates will combat inflation and stop businesses raising prices to keep customers. What a fucking tool with no idea how business and consumerism works. Less customers = businesses raising prices. Inflation increases = businesses raising prices. Cost of transport and key services such as power/water/gas all rising = businesses raising prices.

Well done cunt, all you're doing is taking money away from individuals, families and putting undue pressure on businesses as households reduce their spending to afford rent, mortgage and food/utilities.

Meanwhile we have our banks reporting record revenues/profits once again, even in these fucked up economic times.

CBA half year record profit of $5.5Billion
Westpac half year profit up 63% YoY, $3.3Billion
ANZ half year profit up 20% YoY, $3.4Billion

The sad part is all the banks are reporting record half year profits. Go fuck yourself RBA, this clown is out of job thank fuck in September when his 9 year terms concludes, fucking finally and what governing body has job security for a 9 year term. Fuck me. Post that we'll see a new boss at the helm and the RBA voting down interest rates finally late this year and next year. At least my fixed mortgages hold up for another 2 years so I'll likely miss the worst of it. I cannot say the same for renters and most mortgage holders, apparently some 800,000 mortgages come off fixed rates this year alone. I cannot imagine how many of the 6,000,000+ Aussie mortgages were sitting on variable. FUBAR I tell you. There needs to be a class action against the RBA/boss statements back in 2020/21 that they will not raise interest rates until at least 2024. We've had 9 rate increases already.

It's fucking disgusting our shit governments and the regulatory bodies are at their jobs. We need massive incentives to bring commercial/private talent/expertise into governing bodies.

The really shit part? And this will get your goat...some countries in Europe the governments provide every citizen with interest free loans as a right. If you want to spend over the statutory limit then you got to a bank with interest etc. The other part of this crap Australian system is many countries for their fixed home loans offer fixed rates for the life of the loan at the time it is taken. Here in Australia that ain't the case, we/banks/gov bodies cap fixed loan terms at 1-5 years max generally. What a shit show.

Last edited:

Lasha

No idea where to put this, searched community forums, tried searching Australians/AusGAF etc. Whatever, posted here.

Just more proof the RBA don't have a fucking clue and are just shifting people's money to banks again during hard times. The twat in charge of the RBA believes raising interest rates will combat inflation and stop businesses raising prices to keep customers. What a fucking tool with no idea how business and consumerism works. Less customers = businesses raising prices. Inflation increases = businesses raising prices. Cost of transport and key services such as power/water/gas all rising = businesses raising prices.

Well done cunt, all you're doing is taking money away from individuals, families and putting undue pressure on businesses as households reduce their spending to afford rent, mortgage and food/utilities.

Meanwhile we have our banks reporting record revenues/profits once again, even in these fucked up economic times.

CBA half year record profit of $5.5Billion
Westpac half year profit up 63% YoY, $3.3Billion
ANZ half year profit up 20% YoY, $3.4Billion

The sad part is all the banks are reporting record half year profits. Go fuck yourself RBA, this clown is out of job thank fuck in September when his 9 year terms concludes, fucking finally and what governing body has job security for a 9 year term. Fuck me. Post that we'll see a new boss at the helm and the RBA voting down interest rates finally late this year and next year. At least my fixed mortgages hold up for another 2 years so I'll likely miss the worst of it. I cannot say the same for renters and most mortgage holders, apparently some 800,000 mortgages come off fixed rates this year alone. I cannot imagine how many of the 6,000,000+ Aussie mortgages were sitting on variable. FUBAR I tell you. There needs to be a class action against the RBA/boss statements back in 2020/21 that they will not raise interest rates until at least 2024. We've had 9 rate increases already.

It's fucking disgusting our shit governments and the regulatory bodies are at their jobs. We need massive incentives to bring commercial/private talent/expertise into governing bodies.

The really shit part? And this will get your goat...some countries in Europe the governments provide every citizen with interest free loans as a right. If you want to spend over the statutory limit then you got to a bank with interest etc. The other part of this crap Australian system is many countries for their fixed home loans offer fixed rates for the life of the loan at the time it is taken. Here in Australia that ain't the case, we/banks/gov bodies cap fixed loan terms at 1-5 years max generally. What a shit show.

Your real estate system baffles me. Singapore prices with adjustable mortgages with euro tier taxes is right weird.

Jrecard

Man I don't know about all the rest of that rant but dominos deserve the downfall. Their quality and pizza sizes have been on a consistent downward trend while their prices increase in sneaky ways like additional service and delivery fees. Just tell me what the feckin pizza costs. The vouchers used to be a good way to get an average pizza at a decent price but now they add additional fees to the order that you don't see until checkout. They deserve it all and more.

I hate fast food pizza, might as well eat cardboard with toppings.

A proper wood fired pizza is a thing of culinary beauty to be shared.

If you're feeling the pinch with utility bills and in Victoria, Australia then hit the government up for their offer of $250 savings again. Just upload a PDF bill and fill out a form. It's opt in for the comparison stuff, you don't have to do that part.

Millions of households across Victoria will be eligible for a $250 cash payment to go towards their energy bills in a government bid to help beat rising living costs.

From March 24, all households in the state will be able to apply for a $250 Power Saving Bonus, the second round of the government scheme that encourages residents to compare energy offers and save money.

Telasoo

Neo Member
Why is your country giving me a massive run around trying to get a Visa? Let me come spend my hard earned USD in your country!

Why is your country giving me a massive run around trying to get a Visa? Let me come spend my hard earned USD in your country!
Depends on what you declare on your Visa application -

What do you call NFL? Football - wrong, application denied.

What do you call soccer? Football - wrong, application denied.

What do you call Aussie Rules or Rugby? Football - correct, application granted.

Man I don't know about all the rest of that rant but dominos deserve the downfall. Their quality and pizza sizes have been on a consistent downward trend while their prices increase in sneaky ways like additional service and delivery fees. Just tell me what the feckin pizza costs. The vouchers used to be a good way to get an average pizza at a decent price but now they add additional fees to the order that you don't see until checkout. They deserve it all and more.
Dominos is absolutely terrible. I don’t recall it being this bad before.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Don't know what you're talking about. Our visa system is piss easy.

Are you a cunt? That might be the issue.

jk its a fucking nightmare

Lasha

Don't know what you're talking about. Our visa system is piss easy.

Are you a cunt? That might be the issue.

jk its a fucking nightmare

I was super weirded out when I travelled visa free. Nobody checked that I was actually supposed to be in Australia. I just kind of stood in a line, quick passport check by a guy standing around, then Australia. My bags faced more scrutiny because of the agricultural security checks.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I was super weirded out when I travelled visa free. Nobody checked that I was actually supposed to be in Australia. I just kind of stood in a line, quick passport check by a guy standing around, then Australia. My bags faced more scrutiny because of the agricultural security checks.

How did you travel visa free? Because these days your visa is attached electronically to your passport. That's why they don't check it, because nobody even gets on the plane these days unless the passport and visa requirements check out. It should already be in the system.

Top Bottom