• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

SliChillax

I imagine the intersection of people who remove their muffler and people who drive normally is not very large.
Umm I see more people driving quiet diesel Fiat Puntos like assholes than people without mufflers, does that make people with diesel cars with mufflers more assholes?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1404753&page=1

Didn't realize Gaf was 90% old people. Apparently removing mufflers makes you worse than a fucking nazi. People are so ignorant, removing mufflers doesn't make the glass shatter if you're driving normally.

Wow. One guy hopes for death to those.

This cracked me up:
am strongly in favor of max vehicle noise limits. Even most unmodified gas vehicles are way too loud and we shouldn't accept it. Too bad that's not what happened.

LMAO. A Corolla is too loud, you guys.

Anion

Damn I'm missing out on a huge huge huge car show week long event in Pittsburgh. Thankfully I'll be in later during the week but damn this show is huge. I love how the whole city is covered in it too.
Last C&C we had the show and then everyone drove to the kickoff rally racetrack.
Then they had this Gala where the high rollers brought their cars to as a formal event.
Next they had a cruise to the waterfront.
Today they are having everyone bring their cars downtown where they have shut down a bridge for showing off cars and then a parade to some other location downtown.
Tomorrow everyone is headed to a private airport to see cars and classic jets. Some planes will be taking off and landing.
And then...the weekend is the Vintage Race with the largest car and coffee show I've been to. Last year there were 2,500 cars...

Here is the map for the weekend
2017-PVGP-Golf-Course-Map.jpg

Momentary

Banned

Didn't realize Gaf was 90% old people. Apparently removing mufflers makes you worse than a fucking nazi. People are so ignorant, removing mufflers doesn't make the glass shatter if you're driving normally.

I'm pretty quiet in my car. The only time it makes noise in my neighborhood is during startup/warming up. After that, it's pretty quiet. I kind of feel bad though.

Edit: Deleting the muffler on most cars doesn't sound too bad. But there is something else that people do to their cars around here that make them so loud that it actually causes my pitbull to look at me like a vacuum cleaner is about to eat him. What else do people do to make their cars annoyingly loud?... like 2 miles down the road loud

I think it's when they cut the pipe short. Deleting the muffler and shortening the pipe.

I learned a lot about how terrible GAF actually is last year during the elections. It was an illusion-shattering experience. I used to think GAF was populated by intelligent, generally cool individuals. Now however I am cynical about the whole place so this doesn't even register on my meter anymore.

I learned a lot about how terrible GAF actually is last year during the elections. It was an illusion-shattering experience. I used to think GAF was populated by intelligent, generally cool individuals. Now however I am cynical about the whole place so this doesn't even register on my meter anymore.

Sames.

I only venture the gaming side for news and hot taeks.

Camera/Photo-GAF, you guys and K-Pop GAF are really the only places I really hang out.

I pop up in random OT threads but only for the spectacle(Lionel Mandrake summaries, blame space trolling, etc.) and anything that won't involve me shaking my head at the comments.

ameratsu

Stopped by a Honda dealer to check if they had any new SIs... and they had a Type-R in CW in the showroom that had just arrived and sold for MSRP. Salesman was super nice and let me have a look around the car and sit inside (sorry new owner). It looks better in person than in pictures. The red accents, especially on the exterior, are still a bit much.

Before anyone asks about this selling for MSRP, I'm in Canada, and dealer markups are illegal. Some shady dealers get around it, but they can't just stick ADM on a new car like some American dealerships do.

Thank you man... I am in the Bay Area... I had to put about 300 miles to drive it back home but that's okay! It's currently sleeping in the garage and waiting for some parts (maintenance) to come. Where are you?

Time to do a good tune up!

Sweet, I'm in the Bay Area too. Lots of good shops in the South Bay if you don't feel like doing any work yourself.

GHG

It's the same old shit as any other car thread on GAF.

I'll probably get banned if I state the real reasons I think it happens so I will refrain. Keying somebody's car because it happens to be louder than you would like? Really? If a loud car happens to drive past you once a day for literally 1 second and it somehow manages to ruin your day then I don't even know what to say.

I pretty much quit GAF when it became a politic forum.

It's like GAF is stuck in its own bubble, cause I've never met anyone in real life that are hive oriented sensitive self-congratulating smugs...

boltz

Damn I'm missing out on a huge huge huge car show week long event in Pittsburgh. Thankfully I'll be in later during the week but damn this show is huge. I love how the whole city is covered in it too.
Last C&C we had the show and then everyone drove to the kickoff rally racetrack.
Then they had this Gala where the high rollers brought their cars to as a formal event.
Next they had a cruise to the waterfront.
Today they are having everyone bring their cars downtown where they have shut down a bridge for showing off cars and then a parade to some other location downtown.
Tomorrow everyone is headed to a private airport to see cars and classic jets. Some planes will be taking off and landing.
And then...the weekend is the Vintage Race with the largest car and coffee show I've been to. Last year there were 2,500 cars...

Damn, looks pretty awesome.

I'm pretty quiet in my car. The only time it makes noise in my neighborhood is during startup/warming up. After that, it's pretty quiet. I kind of feel bad though.

Edit: Deleting the muffler on most cars doesn't sound too bad. But there is something else that people do to their cars around here that make them so loud that it actually causes my pitbull to look at me like a vacuum cleaner is about to eat him. What else do people do to make their cars annoyingly loud?... like 2 miles down the road loud

I think it's when they cut the pipe short. Deleting the muffler and shortening the pipe.

Typically, you have three components in your exhaust system that affect the sound - the muffler, resonator, and catalytic converter. Remove all of those things and you've got what people call a straight pipe, and I can imagine that is what you are hearing.

Where would you recommend? I heard trackspec is good?

Blacktrax (Milpitas)
Trackspec (Fremont)
Joey @ 76 Gas Station on Tuesday nights (Westborough)

Blacktrax's specialty are Hondas and S2000's. Full service and track prep. I've taken my car there for almost anything major (valve retainers, ball joint/knuckle assembly, PPI, alignments)
Trackspec services a wide range of cars from Lotus, NSX, S200, GTR, Ferrari's.
Joey is awesome and does S2000 work after hours at his gas station. Book with him and he'll finish what you need while you wait.

Honda Milpitas parts dept used to let you order online and pick up from there for free at discounted prices. Not sure if they have a pickup fee now...

Stopped by a Honda dealer to check if they had any new SIs... and they had a Type-R in CW in the showroom that had just arrived and sold for MSRP. Salesman was super nice and let me have a look around the car and sit inside (sorry new owner). It looks better in person than in pictures. The red accents, especially on the exterior, are still a bit much.

Before anyone asks about this selling for MSRP, I'm in Canada, and dealer markups are illegal. Some shady dealers get around it, but they can't just stick ADM on a new car like some American dealerships do.

Jealous... Damn you capitalism

hwalker84

Think I settled on a 2018 WRX Base model for the winter car. Sent an email to every Subaru sales manager stating what I'm looking for and made sure they were all on the email so they know they're competing against other dealers. Two came back with really good pricing.

More in-depth tire question for my 335;

It has stock ContiProContact SSRs on it... which seem to have kinda ehh opinions? (I need to look around some more and see if it's just people being too picky or not) Would it be a big deal to only replace two of them if I go with a different brand (but same size of course)?

As a bay area resident, I also assume summer tires are fine.

v1lla21

I've ran summers all year round without a problem despite the rain we got earlier on. You should be good. As for replacing, I just do all four at once.

matmanx1

Think I settled on a 2018 WRX Base model for the winter car. Sent an email to every Subaru sales manager stating what I'm looking for and made sure they were all on the email so they know they're competing against other dealers. Two came back with really good pricing.

I'm hearing great things about the 2018 WRX. Thicker front door glass and windshield glass for reduced wind noise, improved infotainment, re-tuned suspension that is supposed to be nicer / smoother for daily driving and an updated clutch and shifter for improved feel. If I needed one car to do it all my local Subaru dealer would be my first stop and the 2018 WRX would be my first test drive.

I've ran summers all year round without a problem despite the rain we got earlier on. You should be good. As for replacing, I just do all four at once.

Yep.

I've had summers year round here in Texas and I've never had a problem with them even when the temps dropped below 40. And thankfully the entire area shuts down even if one snowflake falls from the sky so I've been saved by those haha.

AlphaSnake

Hahaha wow. Love the email idea. That's pretty raw having them compete in front of each other.

SuperPoncho

Neo Member
Hmm question for the Subaru gaffers. Looking at either a 2008 Impreza WRX with about 100000km for 15000$ cad or a 2011 impreza 2.5i with convenience package and 77k for 14000$. Is the WRX package worth the difference in model year and mileage for a daily driver? Keep in mind those are both asking prices.

boltz

Most summer tires (ie the ones that aren't near-race slicks) have superior wet grip compared to all seasons, so rain shouldn't be a concern.

Hmm question for the Subaru gaffers. Looking at either a 2008 Impreza WRX with about 100000km for 15000$ cad or a 2011 impreza 2.5i with convenience package and 77k for 14000$. Is the WRX package worth the difference in model year and mileage for a daily driver? Keep in mind those are both asking prices.

Keep in mind that WRXs are the type of cars people like to beat on and mod. If you have to ask the question of going with a base Impreza or a WRX model, then I imagine you are not the type of person who might not appreciate the extra performance compared to the potential maintenance issues.

Is No Love still banned?

If so... I'll take over for now and tell you that the EJ engines are a piece of junk. Just look up "ringland failure" and you'll see why you need to avoid them... especially with high mileage cars.

If you really want a WRX or Impreza then you need to get the current generation with the FA engines. Those engines are a little more reliable than the junky EJ's.

Lol I think the ContiProContacts on it are summers to begin with, so seems like I could have answered my own question there. I guess my big concern is if it's that big of a deal if I change two to a different brand than the other two (with the same 225/45/R18 sizing as my current ones)?

People seem to be saying that the wear on the ContiProContacts is ass, which I'm inclined to agree with considering how extraordinarily quickly I went through the rears (and damn quickly I've gone through the fronts). If this was a year ago, I would have said fuck it and replaced all 4, but my general expenses have gone up recently and my wedding's coming up in a few months so I'm feeling a lot more broke than usual atm.

rokkerkory

Blacktrax (Milpitas)
Trackspec (Fremont)
Joey @ 76 Gas Station on Tuesday nights (Westborough)

Blacktrax's specialty are Hondas and S2000's. Full service and track prep. I've taken my car there for almost anything major (valve retainers, ball joint/knuckle assembly, PPI, alignments)
Trackspec services a wide range of cars from Lotus, NSX, S200, GTR, Ferrari's.
Joey is awesome and does S2000 work after hours at his gas station. Book with him and he'll finish what you need while you wait.

Honda Milpitas parts dept used to let you order online and pick up from there for free at discounted prices. Not sure if they have a pickup fee now...

GREAT INFO thanks! +100

AlphaSnake

The all new 2018 Accord comes with the Type-R motor AND can be had with a 6MT.

Wtf. I'm proud of you, Honda.

TylerD

Man, this Takata thing is such a shit-show. The recalls now have recalls.

Holy shit. I finally got my driver side airbag replaced last month. Took BMW 1.5 years to get the replacement part for it but the passenger side was quicker. I do have a shiny new BMW symbol on my steering wheel though and an airbag that probably won't explode and blow shrapnel in my face. It's the little things, ya know?

boltz

Not so hot in the looks department though. Looks like an Impala 🤤

And it's 50+ hp less. Based on but heavily revised, with even the turbo being different.

Yeah, the exterior just makes me go "meh," and I don't like the fastback styling on it anymore than I like it on the Civic. Happy to see that they have a stick option for the 2.0L, although I've heard that it's dang near impossible to find any Civic Sport hatchbacks in stick, so I imagine these will be just as rare.

h1nch

Lol I think the ContiProContacts on it are summers to begin with, so seems like I could have answered my own question there. I guess my big concern is if it's that big of a deal if I change two to a different brand than the other two (with the same 225/45/R18 sizing as my current ones)?

People seem to be saying that the wear on the ContiProContacts is ass, which I'm inclined to agree with considering how extraordinarily quickly I went through the rears (and damn quickly I've gone through the fronts). If this was a year ago, I would have said fuck it and replaced all 4, but my general expenses have gone up recently and my wedding's coming up in a few months so I'm feeling a lot more broke than usual atm.

I have the ContiSportContacts on my 2014 F30 335i and I had to replace all 4 at 35k miles. The wear was bad and was uneven to the point of producing a very annoying tire noise in the cabin. I thought about replacing them with non-runflats but ended up just going with the same tires after the dealer lowered the price.

Not sure about only replacing two with a diff brand. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's more because of my OCD-ish nature. The mismatch would just bug me :p

I have the ContiSportContacts on my 2014 F30 335i and I had to replace all 4 at 35k miles. The wear was bad and was uneven to the point of producing a very annoying tire noise in the cabin. I thought about replacing them with non-runflats but ended up just going with the same tires after the dealer lowered the price.

Not sure about only replacing two with a diff brand. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's more because of my OCD-ish nature. The mismatch would just bug me :p

I bought my 2012 F30 335i with about 37k miles on it... I *think* with new tires on it, or at least pretty new. Haven't had uneven wear issues, but did run through the rears in 10k miles... I was hit in the rear quarter panel and they put new rears on while being repaired (so I was just paying for one tire and a percentage of the other), so it was just gonna be stocks in that sitaution.

Fronts have lasted about 18k now... fuck guess I may as well check to see if the treads on the rears are starting to get low again >_>

But yeah, aside from some hard acceleration from a stop, I by no means drive the car hard, so needing new rears every year is pretty ridiculous.

The new Accord is interesting. Looks like they did the same thing they did with the Civic where it looks kind of garbage without the DRLs on, which is annoying. I'll need to see it in person to know for sure.

I appreciate the manual but no 2 door is weird, as is not just making the damn thing a fastback with that roofline. Wondering if they're planning a separate model for that. Personally I'd love a new Prelude but that's probably a long shot at best.

I'll be curious to see how that new 4 cylinder does against the old 6. Guessing it's just as fast, lighter and gets better gas mileage around town but we won't know for a few months.

The Audi dig in the livestream was both funny and interesting as well. But you know, providing the car this loaded out of the box I suppose that was bound to happen.

Hm just very unscientifically measured my remaining tread depth with a nickel... fronts are indeed pretty low, but still a good deal of tread left on the rears. Out of curiosity I'll have to look back and see if there are any mentions on the paperwork I have, maybe the tires were replaced in the 25-30k miles range as opposed to the 35-37k range just before I bought it. Still would mean the old rears lasted no more than 20k, at least the 25-30k miles on the fronts is more tolerable.

Maybe I'll just get another two of the ContiProContacts, rotate the new ones onto the rear, and then just replace all four together when needed in ~2+ years. Unless I'm about to trade it in at that point lol... but eh, they just refreshed the F30... almost two model years ago? Ideally I guess I'll want to wait 2 years after the successor's introduced and buy a lease return again.

AlphaSnake

I like the new Accord. Just black out the chrome bits up front and elsewhere, and it'll look great.

Yeah. Though like many modern sedans, I'm wondering why they don't go ahead and make it a hatchback/liftback.
I'm also curious how the stickshift console looks. Seems they'd have to change things to fit a shifter in there.

They can do it. The shifter on my 14 Si is ridiculously compact. Feels great though. From the middle or passenger side it doesn't even visually look like you're in 3rd until you're in 5th.

Top Bottom