• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Thanks everybody!

I took her out for the first spirited drive last night, and man, this sucker handles like nothing I've ever driven. Such an amazing car!

Just gotta wait for my Pilot 4S tires and this little project will be complete

Crayon

I wondering...is there any difference between the red top and black top SR20DETs? Do they both suffer from the same rocker arm issues?

I'm no expert on Nissan's but if I recall correctly, there are only tiny differences between redtops and blacktops. And some of those actually appear on late redtops. They are near identical.

The issue with rocker arms is from hi rpm running and is often remedied with stoppers or guides installed in the head. A bandaid, but it works.

KRaZyAmmo

I'm no expert on Nissan's but if I recall correctly, there are only tiny differences between redtops and blacktops. And some of those actually appear on late redtops. They are near identical.

The issue with rocker arms is from hi rpm running and is often remedied with stoppers or guides installed in the head. A bandaid, but it works.

Okay. I'm just currently trying to make a 3d model of my "dream" PS13 atm. This is like my 5th or 6th attempt

ameratsu

Anyone have tips for pricing an older car?

I have a 99 DC2 GSR that I'm about to list, but I'm struggling with a good asking price. Very few GSRs are left period, let alone examples that are in similar condition to my car. I found a few examples on ebay motors, but they're all American cars and i'm unsure if Canadian prices are similar.

Anyone have tips for pricing an older car?

I have a 99 DC2 GSR that I'm about to list, but I'm struggling with a good asking price. Very few GSRs are left period, let alone examples that are in similar condition to my car. I found a few examples on ebay motors, but they're all American cars and i'm unsure if Canadian prices are similar.

Price it double what you think it's worth and see if anyone buys it

KRaZyAmmo

That's interesting. Questions: do you have an s13 yet? And for what kind of driving is the dream car?

Unfortunately I don't have an S13 yet. For my dream S13, it'd make a conservative power (around 340-350 hp) with an Sr20det. For the setup of the PS13, I'd like it to be a good all arounder. So grip wanna go fast, drifting, and spirited driving. I know the car is gonna very impossible once I get out of school. But I'm willing to get it no matter what. Exterior wise....it's gonna be quite different lol

edit: video of a Garage Mak S15 time attacking
Garage Mak S15 - Tsukuba Time Attack

matmanx1

OK, so I have a hypothetical question for you all. If you aren't super rich (not rich enough to not worry about a car breaking down), but had about $75K to spend on a fun car for yourself, which would you choose?

Alfa Romeo 4C vs. Lotus Evora

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

I put way too much thought into stuff like this but if I had $75k to spend on a fun/cool car these cars would be on my not so short list (and in no particular order):

1) the best late model 911 I could find for the money
2) Lotus Evora
3) Alfa Romeo 4C
4) Audi TT RS and/or RS4
5) Mercedes AMG GLA 45 (the best "hot hatch"??)
6) 718 Cayman S
7) Mustang GT350R
8) Corvette Grand Sport
9) Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe (pre-owned)
10) Jaguar F-Type coupe

Some are more pure sports cars while others are more practical. But all of them have character and would turn heads (with the exception of the RS4, which is a sleeper) and, more importantly, would feel special to drive and own.

I didn't list the Macan GTS on here but it is a very known quantity to me and I already know that it is brilliant. Feel free to consider it number 11 if you like.

Huh. I'm looking back at this list now and thinking "is it a thing to have a bucket list of cars to drive?" Because most of those would be on mine.

Crayon

I want more space and it hit 100k miles a few weeks ago.

It's my only car and is my daily driver and trunk space is there with creative planning lol.

And you're right, I do love it and I'd drive this thing until it turns into dust. But at the same time I'm also wanting some new experiences(thanks Microsoft for ruining this word for me lol) so that's why I'm looking to replace it.

That said, all this is a want not a need so I'll keep driving it until I find that perfect replacement or until it does turn into dust.

I've been thinking about this and all I can think is that there is no real replacemnt for a Miata. Do you want more seats or or cargo room or more front seat room?

If I had 75k for a reliable car? Oh um... I guess the cleanest nsx I could find.

I put way too much thought into stuff like this but if I had $75k to spend on a fun/cool car these cars would be on my not so short list (and in no particular order):

1) the best late model 911 I could find for the money
2) Lotus Evora
3) Alfa Romeo 4C
4) Audi TT RS and/or RS4
5) Mercedes AMG GLA 45 (the best "hot hatch"??)
6) 718 Cayman S
7) Mustang GT350R
8) Corvette Grand Sport
9) Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe (pre-owned)
10) Jaguar F-Type coupe

Some are more pure sports cars while others are more practical. But all of them have character and would turn heads (with the exception of the RS4, which is a sleeper) and, more importantly, would feel special to drive and own.

I didn't list the Macan GTS on here but it is a very known quantity to me and I already know that it is brilliant. Feel free to consider it number 11 if you like.

Huh. I'm looking back at this list now and thinking "is it a thing to have a bucket list of cars to drive?" Because most of those would be on mine.

OK, I know you're not in California, but if you're ever in the Bay Area, let me know. We can grab drinks and rant about cars. Your list is awesome and mine would have some overlap with yours, too. I have a list of "Cars I'd Like to Drive", "Cars I'd Like to Own (Realistically)" and "Cars I'd Like to Own (Wildly Unrealistic)"...

If you have anything like the Club Sportiva we have in the Bay Area and Los Angeles then you can actually do a special tour package for like $700 and drive some of the cars you have on that list, maybe all of them depending on what's on rotation.

I've been thinking about this and all I can think is that there is no real replacemnt for a Miata. Do you want more seats or or cargo room or more front seat room?

If I had 75k for a reliable car? Oh um... I guess the cleanest nsx I could find.

It's pretty hard to beat a MX-5 for pure fun, shifting action, and open air driving... And a NSX would be awesome, are the original NSX pretty reliable? I assume yes because it's Japanese built, but I actually don't know what it's like to own one.

jamsy

OK, so I have a hypothetical question for you all. If you aren't super rich (not rich enough to not worry about a car breaking down), but had about $75K to spend on a fun car for yourself, which would you choose?

Alfa Romeo 4C vs. Lotus Evora

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.
So just wanted to point out that you really don't need to spend $75k to buy either car. Both can be found easily in the $50-55k range with low miles. As an Evora owner, I may be slightly biased but I did consider the 4C briefly. Never did drive it but I've been up close with several of them.

Both are mid-engined European exotics that are genuinely rare to find on the road. I live in SF, and 911s and such are a dime a dozen, while you almost never see a Lotus or an Alfa. Both will attract attention (sadly, this is not always a good thing). Looks are obviously highly subjective, but I think the Evora is way prettier than the 4C.

Something to consider - the 4C is tiny! Like really, really small. So if being practical at all is something that you want your future vehicle to be, that's something to consider. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the Evora is actually not too bad to live with. You have a backseat (which is super useful to store stuff). And a trunk for..well, not too much honestly, the trunk is tiny, but it's nearly twice the size of the 4C's!

Also worth mentioning - the 4C has no backup camera option. Rear visibility is pretty atrocious in both of these cars, so having the backup camera is super useful in the Evora (not only for parking, but just reversing out of places).

The 4C will be a little faster/quicker. The 4C also has no manual option (which may or may not be important for you). Both have questionable interiors. The Evora's engine is a lot less likely to give you headaches (but you already knew that). Both are hand built exotics so maintenance will be a bigger (and more expensive) hassle than more "normal" cars. If you're in the Bay Area, Lotus has 2 places you can get your car serviced (that I'm aware of) - one in SF and one in Redwood City. I believe Alfa has dealerships in Berkeley and Burlingame.

I guess there's no wrong choice here, so it all depends on what you're looking for. If you just want a fun weekend car, then the 4C might be an awesome choice. The best way to decide would be to drive both (which I know isn't easy with these kinda cars) and decide for yourself.

Pinewood

OK, which Alfa do you drive? I live in the US and I haven't seen an Alfa since...ever actually. I've only seen a couple 4C's recently and like one Giula on the streets.

Its a Giulietta with the 1.4 Multiair engine (same as the Fiat Abarths). Its probably the most "reasonable" Alfa with it being as reliable as the VAG etc counterparts (the reliability is more of a meme now anyways)

I got it basically because after driving it seemed more special than the German counterparts
and I really wanted an Alfa tbh

KrisB

I wondering...is there any difference between the red top and black top SR20DETs? Do they both suffer from the same rocker arm issues?

They both suffer from it.

And there's also differences between which car the blacktop came in as the S14 and S15 came with T28 turbos whereas the S13 Silvia and 180SX had the T25.

Mine only seemed to rattle when it was a cold morning, otherwise it was fine.

1990-1994 SR20DET Redtop (S13 silvia and 180sx T25 turbo 210hp 7psi boost)

1995-1999-SR20DET Blacktop (180sx T25 turbo 210hp 7psi boost)

1995-1998-SR20DET Blacktop (S14 200SX T28 turbo VVT intake cam 232hp 7psi boost)

1999-2002 SR20DET Blacktop (S15 200SX T28 turbo VVT intake & exhaust 252hp 10psi boost)

matmanx1

OK, I know you're not in California, but if you're ever in the Bay Area, let me know. We can grab drinks and rant about cars. Your list is awesome and mine would have some overlap with yours, too. I have a list of "Cars I'd Like to Drive", "Cars I'd Like to Own (Realistically)" and "Cars I'd Like to Own (Wildly Unrealistic)"...

If you have anything like the Club Sportiva we have in the Bay Area and Los Angeles then you can actually do a special tour package for like $700 and drive some of the cars you have on that list, maybe all of them depending on what's on rotation.

It's pretty hard to beat a MX-5 for pure fun, shifting action, and open air driving... And a NSX would be awesome, are the original NSX pretty reliable? I assume yes because it's Japanese built, but I actually don't know what it's like to own one.

One of the best things about being a "car guy/gal" is dreaming about which ones would provide the most thrills and provide the most fun mile after mile. This forum is my outlet for my car craze because none of my friends or family are really in to them like I am. I appreciate being able to come here and geek out a bit among like minded folks but for sure if I ever find myself out in Cali I will look you up.

I believe Atlanta has some opportunities like Club Sportiva but I am a good hour and a half from downtown. Still, that's not so far a distance that it is insurmountable if I really wanted to check out a cool car for a weekend.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Followed around a RC F around town a bit the other day. Nice looking car. I'm totally unfamiliar with this model, and stand out pros and cons? Anyone driven one?

2015-Lexus-RC-F-Ultra-White-Premium-Package-27-1200x520.jpg

Crayon

I've never even driven an nsx. I really don't know much about them. From the looks of the engine, it would be reliable. It looks like any old honda v6 from the era. Hold on wiki to the rescue.... Honda c30a and c32a. Yep. They all appear to be closely related.

In fact, if I killed one, it would get one of the other v6s as a replacement. I'm looking at the prices of these nsx longblocks right now and I wouldn't buy that even if I could afford it.

In fact, I change my answer. Give me the rattiest highest mileage nsx you can find with a spun bearing or something. Get me a 4000 dollar set of volks for it and an h22a and trans. I still have money left over right?

Unfortunately I don't have an S13 yet. For my dream S13, it'd make a conservative power (around 340-350 hp) with an Sr20det. For the setup of the PS13, I'd like it to be a good all arounder. So grip wanna go fast, drifting, and spirited driving. I know the car is gonna very impossible once I get out of school. But I'm willing to get it no matter what. Exterior wise....it's gonna be quite different lol

edit: video of a Garage Mak S15 time attacking
Garage Mak S15 - Tsukuba Time Attack

I don't know if I'd consider 340-350hp as conservative. I'm building an sr20det and I'll probably be making in the 220-240hp range, which is what I'd consider conservative.

They both suffer from it.

And there's also differences between which car the blacktop came in as the S14 and S15 came with T28 turbos whereas the S13 Silvia and 180SX had the T25.

Mine only seemed to rattle when it was a cold morning, otherwise it was fine.

1990-1994 SR20DET Redtop (S13 silvia and 180sx T25 turbo 210hp 7psi boost)

1995-1999-SR20DET Blacktop (180sx T25 turbo 210hp 7psi boost)

1995-1998-SR20DET Blacktop (S14 200SX T28 turbo VVT intake cam 232hp 7psi boost)

1999-2002 SR20DET Blacktop (S15 200SX T28 turbo VVT intake & exhaust 252hp 10psi boost)

The S14 and S15 engines are also called notchtops because the valve cover has a bump. There is literally no difference between redtop and blacktop other than build date, which means blacktops are more expensive usually because lower mileage. I don't think that really matters, so I just bought a cheap redtop.

About the rocker arms, its really not that big of a problem. I currently have an S14 SR20DE in my s13, with some pretty agressive cams. Because of that I rev the hell out of it to make any power, and I didn't bother with rocker arm stoppers. Just do a good job shimming the rocker arms.

Also, if doing a turbo build, you shouldn't overlook the KA24. When build up properly, they make great power, are reliable, and have the advantage of being able to easily get parts.

Crayon

I don't know if I'd consider 340-350hp as conservative. I'm building an sr20det and I'll probably be making in the 220-240hp range, which is what I'd consider conservative.
Also, if doing a turbo build, you shouldn't overlook the KA24. When build up properly, they make great power, are reliable, and have the advantage of being able to easily get parts.

+1 on both points. Especially on that ka. The extra 400cc is nothing to sneeze at. With the prices of the sr20s I see right now, I personally would run the ka.

Just pulled up my pictures to my hard drive so I'll post them later, but here's a quick teaser... probably one of my favorites in the show:

If you can't see what's cool about it, zoom in to the engine bay lol.

Do you ever have days where you just hate work or life and just want to step into a car and drive around while leaving everything else behind?

Today is one of those days. I'm at work right now and it feels soul crushing. For all of you who have free days this weekend and want to sit inside and do nothing, then either go play some games, hang out with people, or just take your car out for a ride. Enjoy your rides while you can.

golem

Just pulled up my pictures to my hard drive so I'll post them later, but here's a quick teaser... probably one of my favorites in the show:

If you can't see what's cool about it, zoom in to the engine bay lol.

Damn nice.. swap and a flip front!

Do you ever have days where you just hate work or life and just want to step into a car and drive around while leaving everything else behind?

Today is one of those days. I'm at work right now and it feels soul crushing. For all of you who have free days this weekend and want to sit inside and do nothing, then either go play some games, hang out with people, or just take your car out for a ride. Enjoy your rides while you can.

Definitely, driving is great therapy for me. Maybe time to change jobs?

Definitely, driving is great therapy for me. Maybe time to change jobs?

Definitely strongly considering it. I'm only staying because I like my team. I thought about just doing something crazy and moving over to Atlanta, Georgia to work for Porsche. But even though the living expenses are way less there than California...$30K less than what I'm paid now is a lot to swallow.

But yes, it's great therapy. It's about the only thing nowadays that makes me feel OK is just stepping into a car and driving around to explore places around my home I've never been to before. So I hope people in this thread aren't taking their rides for granted. Drive.

Just barely in there. Wow.

Damn nice.. swap and a flip front!

Yeah, it's one of the cleanest swaps I've seen.

What's crazier is that the car looks immaculate considering that this is a 60's Austin Mini... according to the chassis tag I saw.

This is exactly one of the reasons why I enjoy my long ass commute to work. 2 sessions of 40+ minutes of me time where the only thing I'm worried about in the world is what gear I'm in and what the next song is going be. Stop and go traffic isn't that bad either coz I usually just put some jams on and bop to it or belt it out haha.

If I'm having a shitty morning, I intentionally grab lunch from a farther spot so I can drive around or if I brought lunch, I'll get out and drive then eat later while I'm working.

Granted I'm very laid back so that might also help as to why I'm stress free most of the time. For example, I've been putting off filing the claim from the fender bender a few days ago. Why? Well the car drives perfectly fine, it still looks good on almost all views and I think of it as a battle scar in one way... should I file it asap? Yeah probably, but I'm in no rush.

Seats and cargo is what I'm really after. Naturally the obvious option is a 3 series since they're the only RWD cars that come with a manual(I know the Q50 does too but I've never seen one when I worked for a few weks at an Infiniti dealer, and when I asked sales, it's practically a special order these days) but they ain't cheap to run so that's where the problem lies lol.

But yeah you're right. There is no replacement for a Miata... the natural progression is a Cayman/911 of course, but they're not cheap to run either. The Toyobaru is probably the closest replacement but if you already have a Miata, it doesn't really make sense to get a Toyobaru unless you desperately need the backseats and storage. It's more of a lateral than an upgrade if you ask me.

v1lla21

Yup, driving is a great stress reliever. Love the fact that I live in the industrial part of San Jose so there's not a lot of cars here on weekends and especially in the evening.

One of my favorite thing with manual cars is that you can start them by pushing em.

Crayon

Seats and cargo is what I'm really after. Naturally the obvious option is a 3 series since they're the only RWD cars that come with a manual(I know the Q50 does too but I've never seen one when I worked for a few weks at an Infiniti dealer, and when I asked sales, it's practically a special order these days) but they ain't cheap to run so that's where the problem lies lol.

But yeah you're right. There is no replacement for a Miata... the natural progression is a Cayman/911 of course, but they're not cheap to run either. The Toyobaru is probably the closest replacement but if you already have a Miata, it doesn't really make sense to get a Toyobaru unless you desperately need the backseats and storage. It's more of a lateral than an upgrade if you ask me.

Yeah you just cant have extra space in a car for it to be anything like a miata. Backseat/big trunk/gross capacity = not compatible. If you are willing to try 4wd or ff, there are more options for a sensible, late model small fun car. Like a mini for example.

rokkerkory

Just did this today to my new to me 3 week old s2k! 2006 with 39k miles thanks to TrackSpec in bay area!

- New oe brake pads, centric rotors F&R
- SoS stainless lines, motul rbf 600 with full flush
- new oe plugs
- transmission, diff and engine oil changed
- compression tested: 237, 224, 226, 237
- valve adjustment - they said was slightly tight but not too bad

Car running good with noticeable smoother shifts and brakes feel good! Woot!

Yeah you just cant have extra space in a car for it to be anything like a miata. Backseat/big trunk/gross capacity = not compatible. If you are willing to try 4wd or ff, there are more options for a sensible, late model small fun car. Like a mini for example.

Tbh the Toyobaru is probably the perfect car in terms of size, storage, seats and all that but I just can't spend $18k+ for something that's not any faster than my Miata. Now if only there was a BRZ STI...

The Camaro and Mustang are interesting as well but they've got too much power for 10/10 driving in the streets which is where I do most, if not all of my driving. I still want to be able to have fun on little side streets and not kill people and curbs lol. Besides, if I'm picking up a muscle car, I'm getting a Challenger instead... that thing may handle like a boat but it's one of the coolest looking muscle cars today.

On the other hand, I sometimes feel like BMW is the way to go but I don't want to be like Janet in sales. There's a 2014 320i near me for $18K and the temptation is real... if my fender bender didn't happen at all, I may have been at that dealership after C&C today lol.

Speaking of C&C, get your 56k modems ready... I'm gonna drop the best of the best lol.

This Viper isn't really special other than being an ACR lol.

This one's for Alpha.

Finally seen one in the wild and I'm not lying to y'all when I say this... but it actually looks a ton better in real life.

This is definitely one of personal favorites... the Holden badge just makes me swoon haha.

I've seen the 1st gen NSX's a lot but goddamn it still looks fncking good. This and the FD RX-7 are truly the best looking 90's JDM cars.

Now this is how a Lambo should look like... ridiculously ostentatious.

*froths in mouth like Homer*

Never thought I'd be able to say that a Ferrari looks good in blue... but this looks fncking good!

What the fnck is this thing?? In fact, there was another crazy ass race car in another part of the lot but I couldn't get to it in time.

And finally, Godzilla himself.

Now for the bonus round!

A close up of the Honda Cooper.

This one is a Factory Five 818s... apparently it's a kit car based off a 2nd gen WRX turned into a mid-engined coupe.

Looks like a regular Ford GT right? Look closer... specifically at the pamphlet above the taillight. This GT supposedly makes 2000hp... you read that right. Two-thousand horsepower.

Apparently this is the future of bicycles? No thanks if this is true. I'll stick with my Trek Madone thank you very much.

I was laughing my ass off at the plate lol.

Kept this last coz... uh... yeah.
"My peen is as big as my spoiler!"

Here's a link to the album if anybody wants to see everything: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27432612@N04/albums/72157684646564573/with/35557359304/

Yep, those are some great pics right there. That mini mod is insane. Somebody put a lot of work into that SOB.

Plus, the red color with the black top is the best color combo on the NSX. They had one just like it for sale up in Seattle a few weeks ago that I had to bite my lip and not buy. Such a gorgeous car...

matmanx1

All the time, man. I even like my job pretty well but sometimes I have such a good ride to work in the Miata that I just want to keep on driving. Especially if it's a beautiful morning and the top is down. The urge to keep on going is very strong.

Tbh the Toyobaru is probably the perfect car in terms of size, storage, seats and all that but I just can't spend $18k+ for something that's not any faster than my Miata. Now if only there was a BRZ STI...

The Camaro and Mustang are interesting as well but they've got too much power for 10/10 driving in the streets which is where I do most, if not all of my driving. I still want to be able to have fun on little side streets and not kill people and curbs lol. Besides, if I'm picking up a muscle car, I'm getting a Challenger instead... that thing may handle like a boat but it's one of the coolest looking muscle cars today.

On the other hand, I sometimes feel like BMW is the way to go but I don't want to be like Janet in sales. There's a 2014 320i near me for $18K and the temptation is real... if my fender bender didn't happen at all, I may have been at that dealership after C&C today lol.

Speaking of C&C, get your 56k modems ready... I'm gonna drop the best of the best lol.

This Viper isn't really special other than being an ACR lol.

This one's for Alpha.

Finally seen one in the wild and I'm not lying to y'all when I say this... but it actually looks a ton better in real life.

This is definitely one of personal favorites... the Holden badge just makes me swoon haha.

I've seen the 1st gen NSX's a lot but goddamn it still looks fncking good. This and the FD RX-7 are truly the best looking 90's JDM cars.

Now this is how a Lambo should look like... ridiculously ostentatious.

*froths in mouth like Homer*

Never thought I'd be able to say that a Ferrari looks good in blue... but this looks fncking good!

What the fnck is this thing?? In fact, there was another crazy ass race car in another part of the lot but I couldn't get to it in time.

And finally, Godzilla himself.

Now for the bonus round!

A close up of the Honda Cooper.

This one is a Factory Five 818s... apparently it's a kit car based off a 2nd gen WRX turned into a mid-engined coupe.

Looks like a regular Ford GT right? Look closer... specifically at the pamphlet above the taillight. This GT supposedly makes 2000hp... you read that right. Two-thousand horsepower.

Apparently this is the future of bicycles? No thanks if this is true. I'll stick with my Trek Madone thank you very much.

I was laughing my ass off at the plate lol.

Kept this last coz... uh... yeah.
"My peen is as big as my spoiler!"

Here's a link to the album if anybody wants to see everything: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27432612@N04/albums/72157684646564573/with/35557359304/

Great pics. I love em all but the NSX is probably my favorite. That is one gorgeous example.

As far as the BMW goes, I'm a fan of the current gen 3 series. I think it's a car that does a lot right and, with the right wheels, looks very smart. 50/50 weight distribution, rwd, mid 5's to 60 and gets over 30 mpg. My dad loves his and says it is his favorite car, ever. Like most sedans I think it's a bit too compromised to be a proper sports car replacement but it beats most other sedans on the market for fun and involvement by a large margin.

Hesemonni

Banned
uTEfCzH.png

Whee! Traded my BMW 5-series Touring into a bit more interesting Audi A7. Really enjoying the car so far. The 20" wheels are about as comfortable as wooden cart wheels though.

Blitzhex

3rd CEL at 3k km on my brand new rs3, lol.
It's just minor errors that don't affect the drive, but I've already got the full audi experience at such low mileage.

Last edited:

golem

Definitely strongly considering it. I'm only staying because I like my team. I thought about just doing something crazy and moving over to Atlanta, Georgia to work for Porsche. But even though the living expenses are way less there than California...$30K less than what I'm paid now is a lot to swallow.

Think of all the discounts though!

Sharp looking ride!

It's just minor errors that don't affect the drive, but I've already got the full audi experience at such low mileage.

But yeah I'm not about to buy another Audi anytime soon.

matmanx1

uTEfCzH.png

Whee! Traded my BMW 5-series Touring into a bit more interesting Audi A7. Really enjoying the car so far. The 20" wheels are about as comfortable as wooden cart wheels though.

A7's are nice cars. What tires are on it? To some degree the ride quality can be improved with different tires.

It seems like more and more problems with cars these days are computer related software glitches. Mechanical breakdowns do happen but they are far outnumbered by the former. Auto companies are going to live or die on the quality of their software engineers and their ability to bug test their equipment, mark my words.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Here we stand....
World's apart car's broken in two!
Two! Two...

Sleepless nights,
Losing ground
I'm reaching for you...you...
You

:p

Intentional typo there for a mild troll

matmanx1

I don't know how I feel about this new civic type r. Seems like a fwd sti/evo with insecure styling.

It's more than a little bit overdone but I could say the same thing about the entire Civic line-up. Too many weird lines and angles.

I will say the Type R looks better in person and especially in black. Black seems to integrate all the disparate elements of the design a little bit better.

Akim

Banned
Just a general question for everyone. What percentage of your income do you put toward a car payment (not including insurance, gas, maintenance)?

How much is too much? I know this isn't a personal finance community, so I expect the answer here to be higher than in other places. According to /r/personalfinance you should take the bus, unless you make 100k a year, then you are allowed to buy a used Civic.

Just a general question for everyone. What percentage of your income do you put toward a car payment (not including insurance, gas, maintenance)?

How much is too much? I know this isn't a personal finance community, so I expect the answer here to be higher than in other places. According to /r/personalfinance you should take the bus, unless you make 100k a year, then you are allowed to buy a used Civic.

r/personalfinance will be buried in its coffin with its 401k plan and bonds.

I guess it depends on other monthly expenses. Personally, I would be comfortable with 8-10% of post tax monthly income on a car payment. (finance not lease + <3% interest + <3yr loan).

Crayon

It's more than a little bit overdone but I could say the same thing about the entire Civic line-up. Too many weird lines and angles.

I will say the Type R looks better in person and especially in black. Black seems to integrate all the disparate elements of the design a little bit better.

I don't hate the looks, but it doesn't square with how I think about the classic type r series. Like, a civic type r back in the day was not so similar to a WRX sti. But this one is. On the other hand, I realize that was a long time ago. So hence the mixed feeling. On one hand, it feels like ctr is all grown up, and on the other hand, maybe it's just bloated out with 20 inch wheels and edgy bodywork all over.

It depends on your age and what your debt to savings ratio is.

To plan this out, first determine what percentage of your current monthly income is already spoken for, with reasonable amounts set aside to actually pay down your debt. AKA don't be paying minimums on your credit card. Once you have that, calculate how much of your remaining positive cash flow you need to be saving to be able to reasonably retire. Also be putting back 1-2% as an "emergency fund" space buffer. Whatever is left over is your car payment.

In my case, I pay about 11% and I consider that on the high end of the spectrum but YMMV for sure. I'm definitely on the better off side so I can get away with it easily.

Back on topic, the CTR is overwrought but supposedly drives very well. Not worth a wait list and a dealer mark up for sure though - Honda needs to just make more of these.

dohdough

Apparently, the Honda dealer, where that guy that crashed his car got his, has another one coming this week and selling at close to msrp. I have no idea why my wife is on the wait list for it, but I'm more than ok with her getting one even though she has no idea to drive a manual.

Crayon

I have to admit, all the civics in the line are looking pretty crazy these days. I'm just barely warming up to the basic 5 door. At first I thought it was garish.

I don't hate the looks, but it doesn't square with how I think about the classic type r series. Like, a civic type r back in the day was not so similar to a WRX sti. But this one is. On the other hand, I realize that was a long time ago. So hence the mixed feeling. On one hand, it feels like ctr is all grown up, and on the other hand, maybe it's just bloated out with 20 inch wheels and edgy bodywork all over.

I don't hate the looks either. I think the bombast adds to the personality.

Also helps that it's fast as hell and apparently drives quite well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I was in NYC all of last week, visiting family and such.

I went to Williamsburg late night and if you've never been, it's basically the mecca of hipsters. And I guess only in Williamsburg is it apt that you'd find a vintage Morgan...parallel parked outside. And around the corner? A red 1st gen Mustang. I don't know why, but it triggered me. It just felt like those folks bought the cars for the sake of their vintage appeal, and don't care enough to preserve them by garaging them or something. I guess it's the general pretentiousness of the area that made it all worse to witness hahaha

Pinewood

So I was in NYC all of last week, visiting family and such.

I went to Williamsburg late night and if you've never been, it's basically the mecca of hipsters. And I guess only in Williamsburg is it apt that you'd find a vintage Morgan...parallel parked outside. And around the corner? A red 1st gen Mustang. I don't know why, but it triggered me. It just felt like those folks bought the cars for the sake of their vintage appeal, and don't care enough to preserve them by garaging them or something. I guess it's the general pretentiousness of the area that made it all worse to witness hahaha

Cars are meant to be driven.

Top Bottom