• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I specified Jiro Hitoyoshi as Hero of the Year. He's a real hero.

6aRBX8Z.png

Lol at Mumei being one of the nominees.

I wonder if Crunchy's Awards will evolve at all next year, or will this be a one off, or always be more about a handful of shows that hit 'mainstream' appeal and act essentially as advertising for them? Oh well, none of it really matters anyway.

Line_HTX

Ahh shit, I should've written in 91 Days instead of Kiznaiver for "Best Drama."

Oh, well. This awards voting thing was pretty meh from the beginning anyway. They should've waited a couple of more weeks before starting just to let people watch the Fall stuff.

Also is it just me or does it feel like we're later than usual on Anime simulcast announcements? That new Edogawa Ranpo short-form anime has already premiered yesterday, Akiba's Trip is tomorrow (got it wrong before) Another 3 are the day after, etc. I know it's all last minute as I've been really following seasonally for years now and especially close this last year, but I feel like we know far less shows that are simulcasting than normal.

There's only eight shows as of now that have been announced for Simulcast (I didn't count the 1 episode specials) out of a total of 40+ this season. I feel like normally we know around a third to half by this point, especially concerning the handful of shows at the start of the month.

Qurupeke

I wonder if Crunchy's Awards will evolve at all next year, or will this be a one off, or always be more about a handful of shows that hit 'mainstream' appeal and act essentially as advertising for them? Oh well, none of it really matters anyway.

Yes, it will evolve. Be prepared for even more categories, like "Best imouto", "Best bath scene" and "Best hair".

Also is it just me or does it feel like we're later than usual on Anime simulcast announcements? That new Edogawa Ranpo short-form anime has already premiered yesterday, Akiba's Trip is tomorrow (got it wrong before) Another 3 are the day after, etc. I know it's all last minute as I've been really following seasonally for years now and especially close this last year, but I feel like we know far less shows that are simulcasting than normal.

There's only eight shows as of now that have been announced for Simulcast (I didn't count the 1 episode specials) out of a total of 40+ this season. I feel like normally we know around a third to half by this point, especially concerning the handful of shows at the start of the month.

The anime streaming market in the US at this point (I don't know enough about other countries to talk about them) has contracted to just Netflix, which doesn't simulcast, Amazon, which doesn't cast in the US period, and Crunchyroll, which typically announces simulcasts a day before or the day of their first airing. Crunchyroll did experiment with revealing a number of shows earlier than that for the summer and fall seasons, but for whatever reason they decided that wasn't worth doing for this current season.

kewlmyc

The anime streaming market in the US at this point (I don't know enough about other countries to talk about them) has contracted to just Netflix, which doesn't simulcast, Amazon, which doesn't cast in the US period, and Crunchyroll, which typically announces simulcasts a day before or the day of their first airing. Crunchyroll did experiment with revealing a number of shows earlier than that for the summer and fall seasons, but for whatever reason they decided that wasn't worth doing for this current season.

Amazon simucasted Kabaneri in the US though. Unless, I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Line_HTX

I don't think Amazon Prime Video in the US has done anything in the simulcast department since Kabaneri.

I'm still waiting on The Great Passage so I can have a fucking legal avenue to watch. I'm getting really tired of waiting.

Amazon simucasted Kabaneri in the US though. Unless, I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Right, at the beginning of Amazon's partnership with Fuji TV they did simulcast Kabaneri and Battery in the US. But since the fall season Amazon has not put up any of its anime licenses in the US - specifically The Great Passage, Vivid Strike and all previous Nanoha anime, and Chi's Sweet Adventure - despite having them available in Japan, the UK and, when they expanded Prime Video to numerous other countries, every single country other than the US.

I suppose that could be it, I just got use to the early announcements for summer and fall that. Still, huge step back though.

kewlmyc

I think he means after that since the great passage went uncast.

Right, at the beginning of Amazon's partnership with Fuji TV they did simulcast Kabaneri and Battery in the US. But since the fall season Amazon has not put up any of its anime licenses in the US - specifically The Great Passage, Vivid Strike and all previous Nanoha anime, and Chi's Sweet Adventure - despite having them available in Japan, the UK and, when they expanded Prime Video to numerous other countries, every single country other than the US.

So there's no way to watch The Great Passage legally in the US right now?

phaze

Short Peace

Movie that consists of 4 shorts from 2013:

Posessions
Oscar nominated short and more importantly; from the director of Tokyo Ghoul. Stars a traveler who in search of refuge from rain gets entangled with ghosts in some shrine. Bit reminiscent of Mononoke with its closed off traditional Japanese rooms done in CG and the resultant freedom of camera as well as the focus on Yokai. An okay thing but not something that will stick with me.

Combustible

A story of great fire in Edo. Really uniquely looking as a result of grounded chara designs and an effort to make it look in the vein of traditional paintings. From the Akira mangaka.

Gambo

Uhhhh Polar Bear vs Red Ogre wrestling ? Brutal one ? + Some cringy dialogue ? That's all I got.

A Farewell to Weapons

This was probably my favourite of the bunch, 4 guys in futuristic suits enter the remains of what I think was Tokyo and duke it out with a robot that guards it. It's a pretty grounded and interesting take on what future warfare may look like. + A pretty bizzare ending, both humorous and depressing.

Cornbread78

It does feel much later than usual, but hosanna put a much more complete answer out there for ya.

Not sure what they are waiting for,

Stuff starting this week:

Mon:
Chou Shounen Tanteidan Neo: 1/2

Wed:
Nanbaka S2 (ONA) 1/4
Akiba's Trip 1/4

Thurs:
Masamune-kun's Revenge: 1/5

Fri:
Seiren 1/6
Urara Meirochou: 1/6

Sat:
Blue Exorcist: 1/7
Saga of Tanya the Evil: 1/7
Rakugo S2 1/7
Fuuko 1/7

Sun:
Tales of Zestiria 1/8
Chain Chronicle 1/8

Mon:
Little Witch Academia: 1/9
Gintama 1/9

Scum's Wish: 1/13
Konosuba: 1/12

Paltheos

Also was fairly confused when Lancer was a Caster here and Rider Lancer. I thought heroic spirits had a class based on what's most fitting and not that they can be summoned into different classes and suddenly have a different moveset despite being the same heroic spirit.

This bit's in Fate/Zero and Stay Night although it's not explicit.
Both Berserker-class servants summoned there are forced into the class by the summoner by adding a line in the incantation.
The same artifact is used so the same servant is summoned.

That is a pretty straightforward example though, and I wonder how the Grail decides in other circumstances. Like, say, you're trying to summon Arturia into the Saber-class, a hero predisposed to the class, and you have Avalon, the strongest artifact tied to her. At this point however say a Saber-class servant has already been summoned. Maybe further only Caster-class is left, which Arturia has no real natural alignment with. Does the Grail force her into a Caster or does it seek the nearest artifact related to a hero with some Caster disposition and summon him instead?

blurr

Short Peace

Movie that consists of 4 shorts from 2013:

Posessions

Oscar nominated short and clearly, more importantly; from the director of Tokyo Ghoul. Stars a traveler who in search of refuge from rain gets entangled with ghosts in some shrine. Bit reminiscent of Mononoke with its closed off traditional Japanese rooms done in CG and the resultant freedom of camera as well as the focus on Yokai. An okay thing but not something that will stick with me.

Combustible

A story of great fire in Edo. Really uniquely looking as a result of grounded chara designs and an effort to make it look in the vein of traditional paintings. From the Akira mangaka.

Gambo

Uhhhh Polar Bear vs Red Ogre wrestling ? Brutal one ? + Some cringy dialogue ? That's all I got.

A Farewell to Weapons

This was probably my favourite of the bunch, 4 guys in futuristic suits enter the remains of what I think was Tokyo and duke it out with a robot that guards it. It's a pretty grounded and interesting take on what future warfare may look like. + A pretty bizzare ending, both humorous and depressing.

whoa whoa whoa, that art, I must watch this

Didn't even watch Yuri on Ice but voted them for best couple lol

laughing at the Erased nominations, yare yare

Both Berserker-class servants summoned there are forced into the class by the summoner by adding a line in the incantation.

That is a pretty straightforward example though, and I wonder how the Grail decides in other circumstances. Like, say, you're trying to summon Arturia into the Saber-class, a hero predisposed to the class, and you have Avalon, the strongest artifact tied to her. At this point however say a Saber-class servant has already been summoned. Maybe further only Caster-class is left, which Arturia has no real natural alignment with. Does the Grail force her into a Caster or does it seek the nearest artifact related to a hero with some Caster disposition and summon him instead?

I feel like in this case it might summon someone else with ties to the artifact who could qualify even if the ties are looser (In this instance probably someone like Merlin)

Szadek

I specified Jiro Hitoyoshi as Hero of the Year. He's a real hero.

6aRBX8Z.png
QFT

Arturia can never be caster, so the grail will probably either summon someone else related the the avalon (Merlin, Lady of the Lake) or it will just summon an unrealted caster ( kind of like caster from F/Z).

jonno394

I had no idea nanoha was available with my uk prime subscription. Always wanted to watch it! Thanks for the heads up

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa Specials 1-2

So the Blu-Ray specials for this tiddy anime end with faceless male MC-kun getting the Getsuyoubi no Tawawa Blu-Ray and being chastised by the tiddy girl for buying something so ecchi, and then her blouse's button pops off because it cannot contain her heaving chest as she says you can't watch something so ecchi.

Bold strategy, Cotton.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why wife started watching Girls und Panzer and immediately started asking questions after the first two episodes.

"Where are all the guys? Are their schools on land? If the girls run the navy and drive tanks, do the guys fly planes then?"

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa Specials 1-2

So the Blu-Ray specials for this tiddy anime end with faceless male MC-kun getting the Getsuyoubi no Tawawa Blu-Ray and being chastised by the tiddy girl for buying something so ecchi, and then her blouse's button pops off because it cannot contain her heaving chest as she says you can't watch something so ecchi.

Bold strategy, Cotton.
Excuse me her name is Ai-chan not tiddy girl!

jett

D-Member
Does anyone know what's going on with the Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake they announced ages ago? Any news on that front?

Line_HTX

My wife started watching Girls und Panzer and immediately started asking questions after the first two episodes.

"Where are all the guys? Are their schools on land? If the girls run the navy and drive tanks, do the guys fly planes then?"

First step until she watches some yuri, lol

jett

D-Member
naw

Not sure its an actual remake though? I think its a re-adaptation. The one promo image seemed to show Reinhard and Yang in their younger days, Reinhard as a soldier and Yang around the time of el facil

Oh I hadn't seen that. *googles*

u1LCMOo-460x482.jpg

Is this real? Is this what the new anime is going to look like?

I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom