• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Time Bokan The Villain's Strike Back Episode 1
DLivOAWUEAArOxI.jpg:small

Both the OP and ED were great as well as all the new characters introduced.

And more of the villains getting screentime, this is going to be a great season.

Best Tokio.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Kind of expected after hearing how successful the movie was. Though it'll be so close to the manga at this point, so unless they plan some simultaneous ending, seems like it'll be an anime original.

I'm surprised the movie was a success, wasn't the arc it's based have almost none titular character but had extremely disgusting pedobait and switch marketing campaign.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou 01

Absolutely adored the scenery and the girls' interactions with each other. The season is saved.

Kino (2017) 01

A slightly different look but they absolutely nailed the feel of the original series.

Net-juu no Susume 01

30 year old female NEET MMO player is the MC. I don't care about anything else you've got me hooked with the MC alone.

Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- (2017) Episode 1

Never seen the original but I really liked this. The fact that there’s a talking bike and everyone just sort of roles with it is pretty funny lol.

GARO -VANISHING LINE- Episode 1

I see a lot of negativity for this but I thought it was pretty badass imo. The shaky cam weirdly enough didn’t bother me that much, and the shows presentation was great. FIrst exposure to Garo but my feelings are positve so far. Definitely gives me the urge to go watch the first one (heard the second ones garbage so maybe avoid that one lmao).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- (2017) Episode 1

Never seen the original but I really liked this. The fact that there’s a talking bike and everyone just sort of roles with it is pretty funny lol.

GARO -VANISHING LINE- Episode 1

I see a lot of negativity for this but I thought it was pretty badass imo. The shaky cam weirdly enough didn’t bother me that much, and the shows presentation was great. FIrst exposure to Garo but my feelings are positve so far. Definitely gives me the urge to go watch the first one (heard the second ones garbage so maybe avoid that one lmao).
First ones great but it's a slow build up. The "wild ride" starts from the mid point onwards and it's entirely character focused.

Code Realize Guardian of Rebirth Episode 1
DLi2thYVoAAMV2_.jpg:small
DLi3mr7UEAEdnYu.jpg:small

Good character designs and best Lupin in anime. I hope we see more. Impey was fun too.

I like the plot here since Cardia is unable to touch most things since she has some type of curse with poison. Glad they are letting here see the outside world.

Love Rice 2 Episode 1
DLi8B8gU8AM7Euc.jpg:small
DLi8B8fUQAE6crQ.jpg:small

Sho and his harvest shot Mendependence Day, boil me please.

I dont know whats wrong with Hinohikari, please get better.

I guess their Cook Pad TV deal fell through, I wanted it more than random rice trivia for an ed.

DNAbro

Kino's Journey 1

I absolutely loved this. Super interested to see what kind of stories this show tells. Kino seems like a really interesting character. So far my favorite opening episode this season.

MMO Junkie 1
It was okay, I'll give it a few more episodes to see how I feel.

Garo Vanishing Line 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKuivabiOns

This was really boring. Don't like it's sense of style either. Not going to watch anymore.

Lain

ID-0 1-3

I had no idea this show was so heavy on CG. Not that I mind, it looks pretty nice to me.
I gotta appreciate Netflix having dubs in my language for these new shows. It's even fine.

Maya feels a bit too much like a scared airhead at times.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- the Animated Series 01
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa how do people put up with hideous crap like this? Nonsensical editing that feels like it's jerking you around. Blown out color choices. Awful image composition, like some of the worst I've seen all year. Misaligned perspective because of flat character work and poorly executed background work. Horrible issues with scale. Insane levels of blur that only emphasize the sloppy planning. And the work with shadows is just maddening.
Tons of weird continuity stuff too. Maybe there are explanations for some of these things but they just seem....bad. How is the bike upstairs at the inn? Is it magical? Is it imaginary? Did it vroom up the stairs? There are landscape shots that cut in and people are positioned in different places, or people not drawn in the landscape suddenly appear. Even the dumb meeting with passing travelers seems like it takes place in almost exactly the same spot but small pieces of the environment are jumbled around. This is the kind of background work that makes you wonder if the artist has even been outside. The artistic incompetence is just wildly distracting and the story is poorly paced and lacking any substance or drama.

SideM Episode 1

Think I preferred Jupiter over this stuff with Dramatic Stars especially since we didnt have such an old lead there, 28 is pretty up there for an idol so it would be interesting to see what type of fans this group gets.

Want a bit more singing and dancing here.

Drive a Live ED was good, great version.

I'm surprised the movie was a success, wasn't the arc it's based have almost none titular character but had extremely disgusting pedobait and switch marketing campaign.

I wouldn't really say the marketing was too bait-and-switch, since almost every single trailer was pretty blatant about which arc was being covered, and which characters would be taking the main role.

phaze

Nichijou 04
Nice ep, think I'm warming up to this. Last skit was really good even without any mindblowing animation and Sakamoto even made the ProfessorxRobot Woman parts not excruciatingly dull.

Gurren Lagann 04

You know, back in the day I didn't even notice this famous art shift but that I'm here again, it's pretty damn obvious.

Love Live! Sunshine!!

So we're not having a SURPRISE! CHIKA IS NOW THE GOVERNER OF NUMAZU moment, just a train of "You fucked it up, son".

The crew so far has made sure they kept the best version of Riko in this media, and gave a more in-universe start for RikoxYoshiko fans because their parents are on speaking terms. But she plays many bases.

I honestly don't think You had a lot of lines this week. Like she probably has the least tied with or worst than Wooby.

There is some negative perspective of their goals considering "You fucked it up, son". I'm also not sure why I get the vibes of we might not get a movie considering the hill they're on to save their school.

That being said, I like the 2nd OP. It's better than the first one. It's the opposite for me with the first Love Live.

Catching up with Bahamut: Virgin Soul and man this show is freakin amazing. Up to episode 20 now. The CG people kind of throws me off but the stunning action and dancing set pieces make up for it. Really loving this show and how consistent it is.

Garo: Vanishing Line 1

HIhppxL.jpg

WHOA MAMA THOSE BOOBIES ARE OUTTA THIS WORLD. They call me Johnny, a Makai knight, UNH DO THE MONKEY WITH ME.

I love the lead character and his religious love for boobies, but the action looked like ass and I can only hope it was a direction the show will stop. It was a fun show, just needs to fix the action scenes by not doing digital zoom and having the Bourne guy do it.

Qurupeke

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter 1

It's kind of depressing to watch this when you know everything will be going to hell soon. Still, HanaKana is in, it's worth it. And Washio's attire is so much better here.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie 1

This was about as awkward as I expected, but this time, not only does the girl have a penis, but the boy has a vagina. And somehow she's meeting with her co-workers in an online game.

I don't know, I feel like going to Brown Jug now and just getting some booze.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
normally i would wait at least 3 weeks before watching any show, but this season i decided to try this and oh boy:

JUNI TAISEN:ZODIAC WAR Episode 1 - this is not my kind of show, but i read some speculation that might make this good for me, so i'll put on hold until it finishes.

KONOHANA KITAN Episode 1 - I just wish they wouldn't go overboard with the fanservice, considering the young ones involved, because it's pretty cute and could be the comfy show of the season.

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ Episode 1 - Adapting visual novels is hard. I see they're already taking liberties with the material and seeing that there will only 13 ep's max i can only pray that they make it good. Read the vn, it's pretty good.

The Ancient Magus Bride Episode 1

Glacially slow start, I wish Chise would have made a smart decision at the start, also the fairy was just way too obvious.

I do hope the rings under Chise's eyes can go away.

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ Episode 1 - Adapting visual novels is hard. I see they're already taking liberties with the material and seeing that there will only 13 ep's max i can only pray that they make it good. Read the vn, it's pretty good.

Personally I found the VN a slog. I much preferred the increase in speed here, but I could understand someone wanting the slow build over the more rushed adaptation I guess.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie 1
download.png

I feel like it's a bad sign when the best thing I can say about a show is it's kinda cute.

The main character is kinda cute. The obvious setup for the two leads to fall for each other is kinda cute. Some of the overly cheery group dynamics are kinda cute.

Chase17

The Ancient Magus' Bride Episode 1
Having the first scene be the main character selling herself off to auction is certainly an interesting start. Gives a good idea of how difficult her life had been without spending too much time dwelling on it (for now).

Music is pretty good. Never trust a fairy.

The reveal at the end caught me off guard, and somewhat flips the dynamic. But it is in the title, so I also felt dumb for expecting anything else lol.

Dragon Ball Super is apparently a double episode tonight, so it will probably be Jiren annihilating someone like Hit or Freeza in 5 seconds just to show how big of a badass he is like how Trunks killed Freeza in a minute when he showed up

Dragon Ball Super is apparently a double episode tonight, so it will probably be Jiren annihilating someone like Hit or Freeza in 5 seconds just to show how big of a badass he is like how Trunks killed Freeza in a minute when he showed up

And supposedly Goku's new ability.

Idolm@stars Side Moose 1

All my time with female idols certainly makes this one feel odd, but ultimately leads to breaking down that very wall that we have two sides to idols. Although strangely, I already feel like Side M has the benefits of not having to worry about if someone is a Christmas cake (not fair).

I think I'll keep tabs on this to see how it goes, but right now, it's pretty focused since there's only 4 characters atm.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
dimb is ruining my memories of Kino no Tabi 1 mods help.

BlastCore

Banned
Pingu in the City 01

Noot noot noot noot noot noot noot. Noot noot noot noot. Noot noot noot noot noot noot noot noot noot? Noot noot noot noot noot noot.

Girls' Last Tour 1

Wow, this is incredible. Not sure about the longevity of the premise, given that only two characters exist in this world, but it's a truly magical beginning.

daveo42

Banned
The Ancient Magus' Bride 1
Very interesting, yet slow start to the show. Starting with her willingly being sold into a kind of slavery hints at the kind of life she's led, along with an early flashback and why she's looking for a place to call home.

Outside of that, the art and music used were well done. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series and may end up reading the manga after the season concludes.

This is why dimb is invaluable to us.

I'm amazed at how madp did the same to me. I don't hold anything against him since his critiques made sense and it was an interesting way of looking at it.

But damn if it doesn't feel weird going back to that show that I used to call a favorite of mine now. It's like all the interest I had in watching the new one was sucked out.

Narag

I'm amazed at how madp did the same to me. I don't hold anything against him since his critiques made sense and it was an interesting way of looking at it.

But damn if it doesn't feel weird going back to that show that I used to call a favorite of mine now. It's like all the interest I had in watching the new one was sucked out.

mad who?

The Reflection End
download_1.png

Kairi... Kairi's inside me?

The Reflection was a show I guess. I have to wonder if Nagahama is satisfied with it, because if it was supposed to be a passion project, it doesn't really feel like it. It's hard to even call it a failure per se, because I never knew where it was going, what it was trying to sell me. Even now that it's over, I have no strong feelings for it one way or another.

It's a show that exists.

Top Bottom