• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

This seems way, way, way worse then what you'd expect

Why?

I cannot look at "my sister's freshly hatched eggs and squeezed milk" as anything other than a double entendre (it turns out this really wasn't a double entendre)

EDIT: Even after seeing this, the first 30 minutes threw me off the rails immediately. Jesus christ it's shameless as fuck

DLp3BLRUIAEI4V0.jpg:large

Jesus. The first two minutes would kill anyone

Like, not that I think it's wrong to find the comedy in A Sister's offensive (It's clearly that brand of comedy) what's wrong with what's in that particular screenshot?

The way it was presented was that he wasn't shocked that a dead girl just happens to be in his kitchen.

The way it was presented was that he wasn't shocked that a dead girl just happens to be in his kitchen.

Well, I think that's part of the joke though. The idea that our author MC, who wrote that portion of the show, is so obsessed with the Siscon stuff in his writing he absolutely botched that beat. Least that's what I took from it, or are you more 'jesusing' at how it initially comes across before the reveal?

Well, I think that's part of the joke though. The idea that our author MC, who wrote that portion of the show, is so obsessed with the Siscon stuff in his writing he absolutely botched that beat. Least that's what I took from it, or are you more 'jesusing' at how it initially comes across before the reveal?

Pre-reveal

I mean why worry about siscon stuff if you have someone casually offering you to have sex?

So you're telling me that's why it's airing in October, since it shares the same attributes as horror movies?

Sure!

The reaction to it has really fascinated me. Neogaf freaked, MyAnimeList was split, and the few forum commenters on ANN liked it a lot. Reddit also seemed split, but got way more hung up on making lolicon/fanservice jokes.

Quasar

Damn it, why is Girls Last Tour only available on this Hi-Dive thing? Literally the only one I was super looking forward to. It doesn't even have a PS4 app.

Does the site work in the PS4 browser? HiDive has yet to have any apps, its browser only.

I've just been using my phone browser and casting it to my TV.

Garo: Vanishing Line - 01

I wasn't sure how I felt about it taking place in modern world at first reveal, but I thought this was pretty dope overall. The amount of shakiness with the camera needs to stop though.

Zaruba being a motorbike and summoning the armor by doing donuts with the sword in the ground is 10/10. I like me some disturbing Horror design like the first one that was shown, I do hope the pattern will resemble more of the first show with the creativeness.
Funny how the MC in this one is voiced by the main bad guy from the previous Garo show (the one that shall not be named). I'm still somewhat scarred from that one, so I'll be cautiously excited for this one.

Tuck

Garo: Vanishing Line - 1
First, what the fuck is up with these bouncing tits? The original Garo had tits, but it was at least kind of classy about it, and they never did a full zoom in on them like "HEY TITS, DID YOU SEE THE TITS? TITS!" Fuck off.

Second, I thought the action was pretty good for the first half of the episode, but my god that ending action scene was horse shit. You couldn't tell what was going on, the camera was so out of control.

I'll keep watching - it left a stronger impression than that second Garo anime did, but I'm not optimistic about it living up to Garo: The Animation.

duckroll

I don't think I ever posted my GARO Vanishing Line impressions. Well, I don't really want to write much about it. I guess it mostly reminded me of classic GONZO shows. A lot. Stuff like Blassreiter and Speedgrapher and whatnot. Edgy, tryhard, big bold designs, gaudy colors, "crazy" action, big muscled men, big boobs women, tacky fanserservice, incomprehensible action. Hope it elevates itself from that. Not holding my breath.

BlastCore

Banned
Kekkai Sensen 12

You know in my excitement for the new season of Kekkai Sensen I totally forgot that they delayed the final episode of season 1 for months, and I never got around to actually watching it. Watching it now, it's apparent that I totally forgot what the story was about. But the cool animation and gut punch ending made that not so important.

I don't think I ever posted my GARO Vanishing Line impressions. Well, I don't really want to write much about it. I guess it mostly reminded me of classic GONZO shows. A lot. Stuff like Blassreiter and Speedgrapher and whatnot. Edgy, tryhard, big bold designs, gaudy colors, "crazy" action, big muscled men, big boobs women, tacky fanserservice, incomprehensible action. Hope it elevates itself from that. Not holding my breath.

That's pretty much the impression Vanishing Line gave off from the moment it was revealed, and it's unfortunate that it didn't manage to surprise in any way. (Well, except that it was surprising how poorly shot the action was.) Maybe that one guy here who waxes nostalgic for 2000s Gonzo will like it.

Narag

That's pretty much the impression Vanishing Line gave off from the moment it was revealed, and it's unfortunate that it didn't manage to surprise in any way. (Well, except that it was surprising how poorly shot the action was.) Maybe that one guy here who waxes nostalgic for 2000s Gonzo will like it.

I have a name.

BlastCore

Banned
Kekkai Sensen and Beyond 01

When they announced that the new season would have a different director, I was incredibly worried. One of the greatest strengths of KS was it's lavish backgrounds and gonzo storytelling, and any change of hands could mean that those strengths will get lost in transition. After this episode, my fears have been mitigated. The backgrounds are still detailed to ludicrous degrees and the story is still gonzo as fuck. It even had a couple of cool sakuga moments. The loss of the original credits is still too much to bear though.

More anime should have Hip Hop as part of the ost.

Syrinx

Scum's Wish 11

I don't buy Akane's development here. This woman isn't just a cold and manipulative woman hiding behind a pretty mask; she is an actual sociopath who enjoys sleeping with dudes and then rubbing it in the faces of the girls who had crushes on them, girls she oftentimes barely even knows if she knows them at all. She enjoys hurting people for basically no reason. So to see her develop,feelings for and agree to marry I don't even remember his name is...no. Not working for me.

sonicmj1

I have actually watched shows from this season, though I don't have a lot of anime motivation these days.

Juuni Taisen 1

Feels like it's done about as well as you could hope for a show about a bunch of crazy killers put in a building and told to kill each other. I thought the action here was well-executed, for sure. I'm just not sure how much I care about any of it. The character designs are really garish, and it's not really my sort of premise.

GARO Vanishing Line 1

I had a good time with it. It's shameless and straightforward in a way I appreciate more. Something about the protagonist being just all about eating steak, riding a cool bike, beating up monsters, and getting laid worked for me. The action (particularly in the first half) was cool, but would have been better if the camera wasn't shaking so much. I could still follow what was happening until the final fight on the bike, which was too messy.

I enjoy Sword now, but I probably won't like him if he doesn't show more dimension when dealing with other people going forward.

I found the visual design of the city kind of weird. There are parts that are clearly trying to ape New York, and other parts (like the raised highways) that made me think more of Tokyo. And then that side street where the girl meets Moon Wizard felt a lot more European. You'd think they'd have a clearer central idea of their setting.

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond 1

Not quite as nice as season 1 in terms of directing, but the backgrounds are still good and the plot is still nuts. Might be a good time?

In terms of caring about settings too much again, having been to Federal Hall in NYC fairly recently, it really bothered me that in this episode it somehow wound up facing uptown with a gigantic plaza in front of it, considering that actually the George Washington statue is directly across from the New York Stock Exchange.

duckroll

Is there an order I should be watching Ancient Magus’ Bride?

CR has two episode 1s listed so I’m a little confused.

I asked on Twitter and everyone told him not to watch the OVAs first because they actually take place later on in the story. Or something.

zulux21

I asked on Twitter and everyone told him not to watch the OVAs first because they actually take place later on in the story. Or something.

that is what was said in here.

like watch the first 5 eps of the anime, and then the ovas is what this thread said.

To be clear: the OVAs tell a self-contained prequel story that occurs before the events of the manga adapted in the TV series proper. (On Crunchyroll the OVAs are listed under the subtitle "Those Awaiting A Star".) But they have a framing device which occurs somewhere in the middle of the manga material.

I would recommend skipping the OVAs and instead starting with the TV series.

Anime-Gataris, Episode 1 - So with a premise of a bunch of weirdos starting an Anime Club at their school, I was expecting the first episode to be funnier. It was pretty straightforward. I got a little chuckle on a meta level over how obsessive people deep in anime can come off to casual watchers.

Since the
talking cat
said not to drop it after only one episode, I guess I'll give it another week.

I cannot stress this enough: read the manga. The anime covers only what's basically the prologue, which served to establish Tomoko's character. The direction the manga goes in around the midpoint of year two (the anime only covers her first year of high school) is unexpected and superb. It goes from being a funny parody of slice of life manga into one of the actual best slice of life style works ever made.

I'm going to have to check it out. I heard the manga actually keeps progressing forward and actually follows her throughout high school rather than be stuck in a limbo, so it sounds interesting.

But speaking of Cringe-Factor with the anime, I'm not sure which scene gave me the most second-hand embarrassment; the train scene or both times her parents walked in on her....yeah.

jonjonaug

Made in Abyss 1 - 13 - People on my twitter TL were calling this a "prestige anime" but it's kind of hard to call it that when the endings is pretty much just "thanks for watching go read the manga". Still a great show though, and I did pick up the scanlations from where the anime ended through the most recent translated chapter while also preordering the official release.

Code Realize 1 - As a fan of the game I rather liked it. They did a good job moving stuff around and condensing things without really damaging any of it. I was worried that they wouldn't include the scene where
the dog's head melted after biting the protagonist
, and ended up pleasantly surprised when they slotted it in at the end of the episode.

Top Bottom