• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avadon: The Black Fortress |OT| Quality PC (including Steam for $9.99) and iPad CRPG

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
wKpJq.png

General Information
Avadon: The Black Fortress is the latest RPG from the independent studio Spiderweb Software, known for their previous franchises Avernum and Geneforge. Spiderweb has been developing and releasing shareware RPGs since 1994, over sixteen years of success in the buisness.

Release Dates
Mac OS X: Feb 28th, 2011
Windows: May 2nd, 2011
iPad: Forthcoming

Price
25 USD

DRM
Absolutly none!

Well, Is There a Demo?
Absolutely! Spiderweb is famous for their huge demos that offer three to five hours of the full game. Get it here: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html

How Can I Buy?
Any way you like!
-The online Spiderweb Store (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/ordering.html)
-By check
-By phone
-By Paypal

Story
You are a servant of Avadon. The Black Fortress. Your job is to protect the Pact, five nations that have banded together in a fragile alliance. The purpose of the Pact: To hold back the waves of invaders that seek to destroy you.

Outside the lands of the Pact, there are limitless threats. Barbarians. Fading, jealous empires. Titans and unspeakable horrors. The warriors and spies of Avadon are charged to keep them at bay, weak and divided. You fight in the shadows, rooting out small threats before they have the chance to grow. Your resources are unlimited, and your word is law.
Bm3Xj.jpg

Gameplay
Avadon largely adheres to the traditions of the classic isometric computer RPGs. Most of your time is spent engaging people in conversation, exploring huge maps, receiving quests and, naturally, killing things.

Spiderweb games are notorious for the freedoms they offer the player, and while Avadon is unabashedly more linear then their previous games, every NPC is killable in theory, and there are some sweeping choices that can be made as the game progresses.

Combat is entirely turn based and grid based and, in a marked change for Spiderweb games, skills operate on a turns-to-cooldown system instead of a mana points system. Each class now has a unique skill tree as well, with a variety of unique abilities.

You have four other members in your "party", but you can only take two of them with you on your missions outside of Avadon itself. Who you take with you changes how you approach combat (you control them completely) as well as what conversations you overhear and interactions you witness.
There will always be at lease one class redundancy, as you yourself will always be the same class as one of the other members.

The Classes
Blademaster - The Blademaster is the paragon of armed combat. Able to equip the strongest arms and armor in the game, his skills focus on dishing out damage from both near and far, and maintaining his own health so he can keep on fighting.

Shadowwalker
Masters of deceit in combat, the Shadowalker may not dish out as much damage, but his blows can cripple the enemy and he can backstab when the enemy is flanked. He can disappear in a cloud of smoke and reappear elsewhere, striking the disoriented foe with his razor disks from a safe distance.

Shaman
The Shaman does very little in direct combat. Instead her focus lies on healing her teammates, inflicting conditions on the enemy, and summoning and buffing her wolf companion, who gladly enters the fray on her behalf.

Sorceress
The Sorceress has a number of options available to her. She can call lightning and fire down from the heavens. Or perhaps she'll invest her skills in the mental magics, learning to daze and charm her foes. She also has the most potent buffs for herself and her allies.

Here is one of the skill trees, in this case for the Shadowalker class. As you can see, every invested point increases potency numerically, as well as unlocking new abilities and powers at certain levels.
bwmBZ.gif

Screens
Full Gallery Located Here
wDlUR.jpg

Reviews
RPGFan - 90%

Link
What I do know is this: despite the million dollar game budgets that have taken us to this age of gaming, we are still in a place where a studio like Spiderweb Software exists to give us Avadon: The Black Fortress. This game reminded me of some of the best games I've ever played. Perhaps most importantly, it made me want more. Despite the fact that it probably won't be for everybody, and despite the fact that the mainstream may have moved away from this type of game forever, I'm still giving it an Editor's Choice award.

Inside Mac Games - 8.25 - Link
Jeff Vogel, Spiderweb's creator, has had a long time to hone his skill at making them, and it shows in Avadon: The Black Fortress. It's Spiderwebs first new series in a decade, and I would venture to say it's his most finely crafted work to date.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5 -
Link
But the game is the sum of its parts, and the small irritations are completely forgivable. This is a big, chunky game that is retro RPG fans should absolutely adore. And, if you don’t care for playing it on PC or Mac… there is an iPad version coming in June, Spiderweb Software promise, and that will be awesome.

Basically, you’ll be able to tell if you will like this game from the screenshots. If you remember playing and enjoying these games as a youngster, then this score below is for you. Otherwise… well, you probably didn’t read far enough to get to this conclusion anyway.

Gear Diary - Link
I have been very vocal about my disappointment in recent ‘major’ RPG games and developers: Bioware has been moving towards story-based action games with little RPG content in Mass Effect series, and Dragon Age II also took a major step in that direction. Bethesda did a very similar thing with Oblivion compared to the much better RPG Morrowind – and I truly doubt that Skyrim will suddenly have robust RPG systems. Between Soldak, Basilisk and Spiderweb, RPG fans have three ‘indie’ game studios willing to do the hard work of developing worthwhile and robust games that fill the void left behind. I applaud them in general – but with things like Din’s Curse, Eschalon Book II and now Avadon … I can more specifically applaud their efforts.

The Technomancer

Personal impressions:
+Very well written
+A ton of stuff to do
+Characters and cultures are creative beneath their stereotypical shells
+Combat is fun

-New areas on the map are only given out by quest givers, so large-scale exploration is limited from previous Spiderweb offerings
-First few hours of the story are a lot of "I'm so important, you're so important, aren't we impressive now go do this for me"

Additional note: Health regenerates rapidly after combat, to the point that thirty seconds after a fight you'll be back at full. I hated this in the first hour of the game, because even on hard it meant there was no sense of challenge or danger. However very quickly the game ramped up, and I became extremely grateful for it because it meant that I didn't have to micromanage always bringing along enough damn potions for everyone, and could splurge on things like blessing crystals and magic scrolls and new weapons.

epmode

Screens aren't very good but man do I miss games like this. You're saying that this is actually well-written? I've been under the opposite impression.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh yeah, I forgot the Windows version would be out today! Thanks. Nice screens too, not like the tiny official ones.

The Technomancer

epmode said:
Screens aren't very good but man do I miss games like this. You're saying that this is actually well-written? I've been under the opposite impression.
What would give you that impression?

Also, the above screen looks horrible because I capped it myself because there aren't very many decent ones out there, and I had to drop the resolution about 20% to have it fit nicely in the thread.

EDIT: Replaced with a better one.

If I wasn't smack in the middle of playing Risen I would buy this. It's definitely on my list of games to play tho, I'll probably zombie bump this thread up when I do get around to buying and playing it.

bengraven

Is it better than Escalon?

Escalon 2 was fun, but the story and world was lacking creativity. I would have killed for an interesting character as well.

The Technomancer

bengraven said:

Escalon 2 was fun, but the story and world was lacking creativity. I would have killed for an interesting character as well.
Avadon is a bit by the books, especially the first few hours, but if you're looking for creativity in story and world I'd recommend the Geneforge series by the same developer. Very cool world ruled by biomancers.

Kubisa

Neo Member
Ah Spiderweb, how I love you. Been waiting for the windows version to be released, will promptly download the demo, but might have to take it easy as the exam period is coming up.

Heard good things though, and Vogel usually delivers with his world building and characters; looking forward to it.

dejan

I'm aware of previous Spiderweb games, but I've actually never played any of them. Is Avadon a good staring point to get into these games? I have absolutely no problem with the graphics (this is also true for their previous games). How do these games compare to something like Ultima IV/V/VI/VII?

The Technomancer

dejan said:
I'm aware of previous Spiderweb games, but I've actually never played any of them. Is Avadon a good staring point to get into these games? I have absolutely no problem with the graphics (this is also true for their previous games). How do these games compare to something like Ultima IV/V/VI/VII?

Avadon is as good a game as any to start with, but its very different from their previous games. If the idea of D&D style character advancement and lots of freedom appeals to you, then Avernum might be more your cup of tea. If you like a more focused experience with dedicated party characters and skill trees like above, then Avadon is great. Geneforge lies somewhere in between.

Alexios

bengraven said:

I've played both Eschalons, all they have going for them is their slick, for a retro indie CRPG, interface and engine style. Deeply flawed experiences with only glimpses of creativity. Past Spiderweb games are on a league of their own compared to Basilisk's output, if you don't let their visuals and such stop you from enjoying them.

The Technomancer

Alextended said:
I've played both Eschalons, all they have going for them is their slick, for a retro indie CRPG, interface and engine style. Deeply flawed experiences with only glimpses of creativity. Past Spiderweb games are on a league of their own compared to Basilisk's output, if you don't let their visuals and such stop you from enjoying them.
I've always been curious about the Eschalon games, but they've never looked like my cup of tea.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Nice to see some Spiderweb love. I'm waiting for the iPad version, though. This style of game seems perfect for the tablet medium.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've always meant to look into purchasing their back catalog. Do they offer a comprehensive and discounted mega-bundle?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm very interested in this for the combat. How well does the game get the fundamentals right? Like is it reasonably balanced, or is it a broken mess like 99% of RPG combat systems?

The Technomancer

Tempting, but I don't know if I can make myself jump onto this as a jumping in point given the "next game is better" slant that seems to be the case with all the Spiderweb stuff, save the oddballs where people think they were a step down.

Oddly enough, Eschalon stuff strikes with the same problem---will likely buy Book III due to it being the last of them, and probably the best, and that it will come with what should be a substantial player editor.

Maybe I've just fallen off the wagon in terms of sequels or things that seem ever so likely for sequels as opposed to being a self-contained and ever-polishing endeavor.

Alexios

The_Technomancer said:
I've always been curious about the Eschalon games, but they've never looked like my cup of tea.
It's a nice engine and they have some nice atmospheric moments, I just wish they'd get a writer on board and present an engaging world and story, or if they can't, at least flesh it out as a more combat based experience with an actual party and strategy, not this extremely simplistic one character system they have. Do try their demos though.

Mejilan

The_Technomancer said:
They sell physical CD collections of their older games, but if you place an order, download the demos, and shoot them an email they'll give you the reg keys right away: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/mm...TGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=collection_cds

All Geneforge games for $75, and the first and second Avernum trilogies for 45 and 55
A bit steep, but having the physical media is a pro, in my book. I'll probably jump in on the Spiderweb and Soldak stuff very soon. I think I'll pass on Basilisk's catalog for now.

Van Buren

I've been playing the game for for over a day now since its early release on the Amazon servers. I'm positively surprised at the interest being shown in an old-school, yet accessible, rpg.

Now, onto the game itself -

The initial few hours are disappointing when compared to the creativity of the Geneforge world. Once I pushed past the demo sections, however, the political intrigue gains momentum, and the game is genuinely interesting now.

Even though the game might not be as ambitious as Geneforge in the setting, the scenario is much more compelling than other fantasy stories like the Dragon Ages and Elder Scrolls. Being a member of an organization whose goal is to hold together various nations in a pact, and being given permission to act as one wishes to maintain the pact ( even committing atrocities is alright in the grand scheme of things) is a lot more interesting than being the chosen one out on a journey to save the world ( again ).

The combat options for a fighter has been overhauled to include more abilities, and this was a welcome change. I'm not far enough to have an opinion on skill trees and character builds yet though.

The autoregeneration of hp outside of combat seemed a bizarre choice at first, but the encounters are forcing me to be creative when played on torment. This is the classic Jeff Vogel combat that I know and love.

The party members and their conversations are another good addition, with good writing as expected.

Overall though, it seems to be a Jeff Vogel take on a Bioware rpg like Origins or BG2. It might not provide an experience similar to Geneforge 5, but it has certainly interested me more than Bioware's recent party-based rpg attempts.

(PS: The graphics are finally tolerable with the individual npc portraits, but Vogel needs to think about adding in a few music tracks in his next game. Eschalon does this, and Vogel's writing + memorable music will elevate the experience.)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The_Technomancer said:
Well, Is There a Demo?
Absolutely! Spiderweb is famous for their huge demos that offer three to five hours of the full game.

That's awesome, definitely going to try this.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm expecting to get lost and not really understand much, so we'll see how it goes.

The Technomancer

Van Buren said:
Overall though, it seems to be a Jeff Vogel take on a Bioware rpg like Origins or BG2. It might not provide an experience similar to Geneforge 5, but it has certainly interested me more than Bioware's recent party-based rpg attempts.
Thats definitely the vibe I got from the game as well. Can't say I blame him for wanting to change things up a bit after all these years.

matmanx1

The game DOES favor Ultima Online in the graphics department and I have no problem with that.

Although now that you guys are talking about these games I am curious about Geneforge. How are those games as a series? Do they play like this one (turn/grid based)?

Xena

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of the game. Looks very neat and interesting, will definitely check it out!

The Technomancer

matmanx1 said:
The game DOES favor Ultima Online in the graphics department and I have no problem with that.

Although now that you guys are talking about these games I am curious about Geneforge. How are those games as a series? Do they play like this one (turn/grid based)?
Turn based yes, grid based no. Geneforge 1 resolutely remains my top RPG of all time, 2-4 range from mediocre to good, and 5 is great.

I downloaded the demo for this last night and really enjoyed it. Feels kinda like Arcanum or Temple of Elemental Evil. Real time that goes seamlessly to turn based when combat starts. Didn't expect to play it long but I got sucked into it for several hours. The interface is pretty minimal and extremely easy to use. Pretty sure you can play entirely with the mouse so I think the upcoming ipad version might work out pretty well.

I will probably buy it once I get all the way through the demo. I noticed it is on the Mac App Store for $19.99 which is $5 less than what they are selling it for on their website.

Really like the story, too. The setting seems slightly generic at first but there is a lot brewing underneath the surface. I'm enjoying the way they tell the story even early on... there's a lot of things being set up, the "good guys" are doing some pretty terrible things to defend themselves against the threat from the frontier lands. One thing I really like is that dialog boxes aren't just straight up back and forth conversation but also contain narration about what is going on, they can also pop up as you enter an area sometimes giving you options on what to do.

I've played some spiderweb software demos before (two or maybe three of the Avernum series I think?) but never seriously thought about buying them, and I'm pretty impressed by this one.

does this game have a ultima 7 style world where people have schedules and do stuff, like go to bed at night?

not that it matters, I like idea of supporting indi CRPG developers...

Munin

I love Geneforge but the walking animation in this game pisses me off to no end. I mean, I guess we should be grateful already that Vogel at least finally bothered to not have a 13 year old Dragonball fan draw his portraits and user interfaces, but his presentation is still lacking compared to Eschalon. His writing is better, though, obviously.

Mejilan

Yikes. I spent way more than I thought I would last night in picking up the Sliderweb catalog of games. I think I might have accidentally included some redundancies. Oh well.

Now to reconsider, for the 11th time this month, researching and building my new PC.

Alexios

Posted more screens here and here.
Alextended said:
I'm getting the hang of the demo, I levelled up once and saw how the core stuff works. The game is quickly drawing me in and I can already see the sinister potential the story holds under the introductory fluff I have to go through. It might not look it, but it's been a joy to play after I got over the initial annoyances and disappointment with certain details. It's basically fun like Infinity Engine games used to be, though not as ambitious. It's trying to be more accessible too, so don't expect the same depth in every way (such as combat, it's neat but it's no d&d). That Lexrem fellow was more interesting than he looks in that screenshot, too...
I totally want to buy it but it's a bit souring that Mac dudes can get it $5 cheaper via the Mac App Store instead of the official website. So racist!

The Technomancer

Alextended said:
here.I totally want to buy it but it's a bit souring that Mac dudes can get it $5 cheaper via the Mac App Store instead of the official website. So racist!
Think of it as reparations for the fact that in general we get almost nothing else :p

The Technomancer

Alright, I've been given an additional key for the game from Vogel himself. If there's anyone who wanted to play this game but couldn't afford it right now, I'm offering the key.

I really would prefer if it went to someone who a.)was genuinely interested in the game and b.)not able to buy it right now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The_Technomancer said:
Alright, I've been given an additional key for the game from Vogel himself. If there's anyone who wanted to play this game but couldn't afford it right now, I'm offering the key.

I really would prefer if it went to someone who a.)was genuinely interested in the game and b.)not able to buy it right now.
PM sent.

not only could I afford it, but I got the disc version and the physical hint book as well. you deserve it Jeff!

at least if he makes any money off that stuff at all he deserves it. if not, oops. hehe

Clydefrog

I played Eschalon: Book I and really enjoyed it. That said, I felt like I was done with that specific style of gameplay after I beat it. I was still looking forward to Book II, but when it finally came out, I just didn't feel like playing it :(

I do truly love isometric RPGs though (Ultima in its heyday was my favorite)

Alexios

Clydefrog said:
I played Eschalon: Book I and really enjoyed it. That said, I felt like I was done with that specific style of gameplay after I beat it. I was still looking forward to Book II, but when it finally came out, I just didn't feel like playing it :(

I do truly love isometric RPGs though (Ultima in its heyday was my favorite)
Spiderweb is different, more structured story based thing with choices & consequences vs the open roaming approach. Imo Spiderweb is far more successful in their approach than Basilisk has been so far in theirs (but I do have high hopes for their future games, there's potential there and I did at least finish both Books, unlike other games).

Radogol

Joseph Merrick said:
not only could I afford it, but I got the disc version and the physical hint book as well. you deserve it Jeff!

I was about to do the same and even throw in Nethergate for good measure, but found no PayPal option on checkout :(

Alextended said:
Spiderweb is different, it's as if Spiderweb is indie Black Isle and Basilisk is indie Interplay.

Was there supposed to be BioWare somewhere in there or...? I'm not sure I understand the analogy. Surely you're not suggesting Spiderweb is a division of Basilisk? ;)

Top Bottom