• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avadon: The Black Fortress |OT| Quality PC (including Steam for $9.99) and iPad CRPG

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cool. Maybe a little bit of hyperbolic praise. But when no mainstream sites are even mentioning it, whatever, go hyperbole! I advanced more and it's getting more and more challenging, I hope I won't have to town down the difficulty or anything. I probably just need to man up and play better. I've not played any other games since the demo!

Techno, Avadon sound extremely interesting. I really want to try it...but, I am quite frighten by it. I've only played one CRPG, Dragon Age, in my life, and I'm worried Avadon will beat me down and strip me of my pride.

I'll probably try the demo relatively soon, but any tips you can give me would be very much appreciated. :)

Alexios

I think it's easier to grasp than Dragon Age. There are no weird inventory systems or whatever convoluted mechanics. It's all pretty damn intuitive and streamlined in most all the right ways. If combat grows to be too hard for you (well, it's not exactly a strategy RPG or something, just a very nice turn based combat system, don't worry) there are difficulty settings you can switch to at any time, but I'm sure you'll stick to at the very least Normal if not Hard. It also eases new players into it very well, introducing new things as you play and gradually ramping up the difficulty and how much of your surroundings you can explore or what choices you're capable of making.

Just try it (it does keep getting a lot better past the demo parts though). Old school doesn't mean incomprehensible. Maybe this will be your stepping stone to older Spiderweb titles or the classics that do have some things that may be hard to get for a first timer (such as the combat rules in d&d based games for example). After seeing what this style of RPG can offer via Avadon maybe you'll be more willing to try and actually stick with them for their engaging storylines and challenging battles.

Alexios

A couple more screens here. The first one spoils a sort of joke in a side quest's dialogue so don't read it if you care about that. Been through some awesome battles, so fun.

Alexios

Man this game keeps getting better. I progressed some more, I did the Blademaster companion's side story, now I'm about to do the same for the Sorceress, she's super crazy and I'm like oh shit with what she's dragging me into. There may not be too many dialogues and choices outside smaller or bigger decisions within missions you're tasked with, letting you choose your own path according to your morals, interest, play the hero, or whatever, but what is there is done very effectively. I really like how people react to you as a Hand of Avadon depending on the situation. And I do like how the encounters are done, it has the old school isometric RPG equivalent of FPS scriped sequences very often and rarely allows things to get dull and predictable for too long, in how you progress and what challenges are met.

Edit: ops, is triple posting OK? It's been a while since my last :S

Wanace

I'm about 2 hours into the demo and I'm loving it so far. When I get the cash in my account I'm definitely going to pick this one up. I bought Eschalon Book 1 a while ago and couldn't get into it at all, but this has the exact opposite effect. It's well written, the interface and graphics are what you might have expected from Interplay or Bioware back in the day, or even better.

Looking forward to more of Avadon.

Alexios

After a brief Witcher 2 interruption I'm back into its sweet turn based shenanigans. So good. Has anyone finished it yet? I should be pretty close, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I still have quite a bit to go, I guess. I finally got to the third country/area now, with the contested woods. I'm really enjoying it (playing on hard). I use a shaman myself, with the blademaster and assassin as my support. Never had the sorceress with me. I'm enjoying it so much that I'm thinking of trying some of Spiderweb's other RPGs (well, I actually considered it before), but I still need to finish this one first.

By the way, I still haven't had a reply yet (Gamersgate version woes), but I discovered that I can play the whole game by using the demo version. The only problem is that I can't travel to many regions as they have a demo lock, but I use my original copy to travel to those areas, save and revert to the demo version. Since most areas are large with each containing a few hours of initial content and loading times are short, it's not that much of a bother.

Van Buren

Primate Ryan said:
I still have quite a bit to go, I guess. I finally got to the third country/area now, with the contested woods. I'm really enjoying it (playing on hard). I use a shaman myself, with the blademaster and assassin as my support. Never had the sorceress with me. I'm enjoying it so much that I'm thinking of trying some of Spiderweb's other RPGs (well, I actually considered it before), but I still need to finish this one first.

In many ways, his Geneforge series offer more choices with regards to diplomacy and non-violent means of getting through the entire game. More than anything else, that is what disappointed me the most with Avadon. Thankfully, that was balanced by the game constantly dangling the notion of taking control of Avadon, resulting in me constantly questioning what I intended to do.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Van Buren said:
In many ways, his Geneforge series offer more choices with regards to diplomacy and non-violent means of getting through the entire game. More than anything else, that is what disappointed me the most with Avadon. Thankfully, that was balanced by the game constantly dangling the notion of taking control of Avadon, resulting in me constantly questioning what I intended to do.
Yeah, I had to mentally re-adjust to the fact that even when the game was giving me "diplomatic" conversation paths, it was always going to end up fighting in the end.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
sh4mike said:
Released for ipad -- $9.99.

FINALLY. I was waiting for this to get on iPad. Anyone played it? How are the controls?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
vehn said:
No impressions even on the app store. I wonder if it's the exact same game as the $25 one

From what ive read, it is the same game, only with optimizations for the new interface. But games like these can be a bit of a pain in the ass if you cant control your characters precisely.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm sad to admit I forgot I was even playing this game. I didn't get real far, but I was having fun. I may start it back up again once I finish the new Wizardry. Been kinda ignoring that too the past few days.

Tobor

I'm playing this on iPad and so far I'm loving it. Interface works great on the touch screen.

I'd been wanting to play one of Vogel's games for quite a while, so this is perfect for me. Hopefully porting to iPad will bring him lots of new customers.

The Technomancer

Tobor said:
I'm playing this on iPad and so far I'm loving it. Interface works great on the touch screen.

I'd been wanting to play one of Vogel's games for quite a while, so this is perfect for me. Hopefully porting to iPad will bring him lots of new customers.
How has he tweaked it to work on iPad, out of curiosity? The original interface is a bit dense.

Tobor

The_Technomancer said:
How has he tweaked it to work on iPad, out of curiosity? The original interface is a bit dense.

The interface looks identical to the screenshots in the OP, you just tap instead of click. Instead of mousing over an item(I assume that's how it would work as I haven't played the PC game), you hold your finger on it to see the description then slide off of it if you don't want to grab it/select it. Pretty simple.

I haven't had any problems with the interface yet, but I'm still really early into the game. Using the inventory, using abilities, combat, all of that works well.

The only weird thing I've noticed is that you can't tap on items on the ground, you have to open the inventory, but after reading a review of the PC/Mac version, it's the same.

EDIT: One thing. He made a rookie iOS mistake, the orientation can't be changed by flipping the iPad around. I assume he'll get an earful from Users and fix that in a patch.

eznark

Banned
Tobor said:
EDIT: One thing. He made a rookie iOS mistake, the orientation can't be changed by flipping the iPad around. I assume he'll get an earful from Users and fix that in a patch.

Not only that but it is locked in the "wrong" position! I know it shouldn't, but it annoys me to no end.

Tobor

eznark said:
Not only that but it is locked in the "wrong" position! I know it shouldn't, but it annoys me to no end.

Well, that's just it, it's "wrong" to you and me, but I assume there are people who like it that way, and the other way is "wrong". Easy enough for him to fix, I have to imagine it's a simple oversight.

eznark

Banned
Tobor said:
Well, that's just it, it's "wrong" to you and me, but I assume there are people who like it that way, and the other way is "wrong". Easy enough for him to fix, I have to imagine it's a simple oversight.

I don't get how someone could hold the ipad in that way without covering up the speaker.

The Technomancer

Skilletor said:
This will be my first CRPG ever. I don't even know what the C stands for. Computer, I'm guessing.
Yup. I'll be curious to hear your impressions from someone new to the genre. Avadon is a decent introduction: its more linear and a bit more guided then most of the classics.

Zzoram

Are those screenshots iPad screenshots? How is the framerate?

Can you have multiple save files? How long is the game?

Skilletor

The_Technomancer said:
Yup. I'll be curious to hear your impressions from someone new to the genre. Avadon is a decent introduction: its more linear and a bit more guided then most of the classics.

One of the things I love about iOS is the low prices make me more apt to try new things. I wouldn't have bought this at 25, but 10 bucks isn't even a second thought.

I'm going to split my time between this and Zelda tonight.

The Technomancer

Zzoram said:
Are those screenshots iPad screenshots? How is the framerate?

Can you have multiple save files? How long is the game?
Those screens aren't from the iPad, but according to Tobor they look identical. Estimates from reviews clock it at 25-30 hours, although I still haven't beaten it T_T
I don't know the answer to the other questions on the iPad, but the PC version allows multiple saves.

Fusebox

Banned
Framerate on the iPad 2 is great, however the graphics aren't exactly working the system. And you can have multiple saves too.

And yay, an OT!

Like I mentioned in the iOS thread I'm so hooked on this game, the pacing is so old-school its actually refreshing. I can't remember the last game where it took me so long to level my character with such little loot drops and make such little physical progress on the map, yet I just keep picking it up and jumping back in. Easily my fave iPad game of the moment.

I do wish the character model would update to reflect equipment changes, and I think they could have done secondary character models for the NPCs so you don't ever have to party with an identical twin. Also if I open my inventory, I'd like to have it close automatically if I open my quest log (for example), and some of the quests could do with a "quest complete return to whatshisface" notification but apart from some small quibbles this game is a game.

Tobor

Here are two screenshots from the iPad version:

3e0bcbe5.png

65abcb18.png

Is this worth playing on anything other than an Ipad? I'm hoping it is decent enough with a smaller screen. I could care less about graphical differences.

Tobor

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is this worth playing on anything other than an Ipad? I'm hoping it is decent enough with a smaller screen. I could care less about graphical differences.

It doesn't run on anything smaller. PC/Mac/iPad.

Played a few hours, in iPad version (but already played a little the demo, and the experience is the same).

The game is ok, and it has a very good old-school flavour. Is a interesting game, specially because there aren't too many traditional approach to the genre.

But, man, the lack of production values is huge. I understand that are only a few guys, they do that for fun and they don't have the resources to do anything better on the technical or art part, but they really need some basic design advises.

If you can only afford a graphical template for each class, at least use a different palette for the main character than the companions, to avoid bringing a clone with you all time.

When you show the name of an enemy when you touch it, don't put the name so close of the enemy that you cover it with the finger. That's a lazy port approach.

If you have to press an icon that opens a popup (for example, inventory), allow to press the icon again to close it. Don't force me to press another icon that is in the inventory.

Press the item and press the slot is ok, but allow dragging, specially if you made an iPad port.

Clearer distinction of what is the active character in the fight, and is ok not to show the enemies range, but at least show your character range.

And tons and tons of other small things that, even if they make the game more user-friendly, don't make it "more casual". Is simply that after 30 years of gaming, there are some conventions that has been used so extensively that the player feels that is the "natural" behaviour. Specially on the interface part.

But, except for some weird rules in the character progression (and a too much simplistic combat approach), the game is quite solid. Interesting story, seems to have good characters, complex dialogs and, overall, a good game. But even if they cannot afford better graphics, they should improve a lot the user interface and the details.

Fusebox

Banned
What's the best way to drop unwanted items? I usually just wait until I come across a chest and dump all my rubbish in it. Is there a better way?

Picked this up for the iPad. I've only played a bit and I can see where some of the annoyances others have mentioned are coming from, but buying it was a no brainer because I want to support the developer for porting the game to iOS. I definitely want more CRPGs on the iPad.

Fusebox

Banned
I think I stuffed up a quest. I was supposed to
find the missing soldier in the wretch prisons. I got the Ogre guy to tell me he was in a cell but I can't get back to the cells because of the cave-in! Is there another entrance back into the lower level of the wretch caverns?

The Technomancer

Fusebox said:
I think I stuffed up a quest. I was supposed to
find the missing soldier in the wretch prisons. I got the Ogre guy to tell me he was in a cell but I can't get back to the cells because of the cave-in! Is there another entrance back into the lower level of the wretch caverns?
I'm pretty sure the cave-in doesn't keep you from the area.
The soldier should be near the area where the walls disappear on both sides and you get ambushed

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Still haven't started up the PC version I ordered back when this thread was first spawned.
I'd kill for an iPhone version, but I'm guessing the screen real estate is just too much of not enough.

Top Bottom