• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avadon: The Black Fortress |OT| Quality PC (including Steam for $9.99) and iPad CRPG

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DaBuddaDa said:
Not sure if this is new thread worthy, but Avernum: Escape From the Pit is announced as the next Spiderweb game.

It sounds like a remake of a remake (Exile 1 > Avernum 1 > this). Is Vogel losing his creativity? How many times are people going to be willing to play the same story?
Well how many times have people played it in the first place? :p

Tobor

Avadon was my first Spiderweb game, so Avernum is new to me.

I still need to beat Avadon, I need to get on that.

DaBuddaDa

The_Technomancer said:
Well how many times have people played it in the first place? :p
But there's nothing stopping anyone from playing Exile or Avernum. I just think a remake of a remake is a little silly. Why not Avadon 2?

The Technomancer

DaBuddaDa said:
But there's nothing stopping anyone from playing Exile or Avernum. I just think a remake of a remake is a little silly. Why not Avadon 2?
Actually, Avernum doesn't run on Macs at all anymore, and I think it has problems with Windows. Plus those graphics are pretty dated, I think he's likened it to an HD remake

*shrug* If it was all he's doing, I might complain, but he's still making new games as well.

Tobor

The_Technomancer said:
Actually, Avernum doesn't run on Macs at all anymore, and I think it has problems with Windows. Plus those graphics are pretty dated, I think he's likened it to an HD remake

*shrug* If it was all he's doing, I might complain, but he's still making new games as well.

He also has an entire new audience on iPad, like myself, who have never played any of his games.

Maybe he just needs a break from writing new stories and want's to revisit his earlier work. Nothing wrong with that.

Tobor

Therealbeatris said:
I have this on ipad waiting until Christmas break, has anyone given this game a shot on ipad yet?

Yeah, I'm about 5 hours in. Runs great, looks great. I just need to find some time to finish it.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
The game is one of today's Daily Deals on Steam, you can grab it for only $2.49

I've put a few hours into the iPad version. Any fan of the old Infinity engine RPGs like Baldur's Gate will enjoy the game for its straightforward design and accessible play. I don't think I'll double-dip because there's a certain convenience and intuitiveness to the iPad version that will likely lead me to prefer playing it on that, but anyone without a iPad who likes this style of CRPG is very likely to enjoy it, imo. Plus the developer seems to really put his heart and soul into his games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Avernum 1 remake is out on Mac App store(and on Spiderweb site). Should be arriving on Windows/iPad in the next few months.

Just tried the Mac demo(get it off Spiderweb's site) and am more impressed with the slight interface improvements made over Avadon. Debating on waiting for the Steam release to have a copy on both my PC and Macbook, but wanted to let many of you know it is out.

The Technomancer

Avernum 1 remake is out on Mac App store(and on Spiderweb site). Should be arriving on Windows/iPad in the next few months.

Just tried the Mac demo(get it off Spiderweb's site) and am more impressed with the slight interface improvements made over Avadon. Debating on waiting for the Steam release to have a copy on both my PC and Macbook, but wanted to let many of you know it is out.

Yeah, I'm putting together an OT for when the PC release hits. Looking forward to this one.

RedSwirl

Honestly, I got bored before getting very far into the Steam demo. This is the first time I've tried to play an isometric CRPG unless you count the PC version of Dragon Age Origins (in which I only zoomed out during battles). I might be a bit more interested if I could play this demo on my iPad - I'm not sure if I'd be interested in playing it on my computer when I have more high-end CRPGs on the same device.

I now that sound shallow of me, and it also doesn't speak well for Baldur's Gate and the other Infinity Engine games whenever I get around to playing them. The way I see it my level of interest in these games will probably depend almost entirely on the quality of the writing (in which more recent CRPGs still excel). It's almost like playing a fantasy novel with rudimentary graphics. The world of what I saw in Avadon didn't grab me right away, but can anyone give me an indication of how the story improves later on?

Even then, if I got the iOS version it would have to compete for my time with Final Fantasy Tactics - a game that has equally simple graphics held up by an addictive battle system and a really interesting story.

Hopefully this doesn't mean I won't enjoy BG and the other BioWare/Black Isle classics. I've really enjoyed the writing in their recent games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Fallout New Vegas, and people tell me all that stuff is a step DOWN from their classics. If one of those developers actually took the time to release an isometric iOS version of one of their games that would be awesome.

Just got this in the Steam sale. As a first time player I just wanna chime in and say it's great.

Of course the presentation is lacking, graphics and sound are basic. At least it has a decent page turning-sound and some atmospheric wind effects. Never underestimate the importance of the page turning sound.

The story is very good so far, and I absolutely love all the reading. Descriptive tabletop-ish text will pop up whenever you enter a important area, and it adds greatly to the atmosphere and immersion.

Combat is fully turn based. It feels like party based old school Fallout. Classes have unique skills that are easy to grasp but with some sense of depth. It's too early to say (5 hours played), but combat seems a lot more accessible than say Baldurs Gate (which I adore). I play as a sorceress with a tank and thief team. I'll gear Blademaster with some heavy armor, thief with backstab and myself for healing and murdering.

This game is great if you're the type of player who likes to do things in his own pace, chill and drink coffee. I love it.

syllogism

Can't wait for Exile 3/Avernum 3 remake, the overworld is gigantic

yHmoH.gif

and here is a more detailed image of one area http://www.nat20s.com/Avernum/Avernum 3 Maps/krizsan_files/Krizsan1.jpg

The Technomancer

Can't wait for Exile 3/Avernum 3 remake, the overworld is gigantic

http://i.imgur.com/yHmoH.gif[img]

and here is a more detailed image of one area [url]http://www.nat20s.com/Avernum/Avernum%203%20Maps/krizsan_files/Krizsan1.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think we get that one in 2015 :P

I've never actually owned Avernum 3, I just put about thirty hours into the demo when I was younger. I was able to squeeze so much fun out of that massive demo.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yo, so the skill point system is really weird with the branches and making you level up stuff below before you level up stuff above. My prior experience with CRPGs is causing me to stress the fuck out over whether or not they will actually end up giving me enough points to actually carry out my plans.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am still concerned about skill points.

Then again, I'm getting bored with the game. It seems like an endless series of little bitches making uncompelling cases for why Avadon sucks and the Pact should be disbanded. There seems to be little reward for loyalty except "good job, pawn of justice" and some people around the world a bit pissed at you.

The Technomancer

I am still concerned about skill points.

Then again, I'm getting bored with the game. It seems like an endless series of little bitches making uncompelling cases for why Avadon sucks and the Pact should be disbanded. There seems to be little reward for loyalty except "good job, pawn of justice" and some people around the world a bit pissed at you.

Yeah, Avernum is much better in that regard. That is my biggest problem with Avadon in all honesty: even if it does open up somewhat after the first few hours it does feel like a bunch of stupid missions.

dream

"Bunch of stupid missions" or no, the iPad version is on sale for $4.99 right now and there are worse things to spend 5 bucks on.

Top Bottom