• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar’ Starts Production Today; $1 Billion Budget

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
How can anyone doubt that these 4 upcoming movies will be the biggest thing cinema/entertainment has ever seen?

And before you start laughing at this sentiment remember what Star Wars was when it first started....

It has to make $1billion just to break even. How many movies have made that much money in the history of film?

Also, I'm assuming that means they are definitely going to shoot some scenes in China, to get that Chinese market

snap

Banned
is this one of those ridiculous hot takes ive been hearing about lately.

gross

a hot take would be a quick kneejerk reaction to something before reading into it or understanding the background

this is a genuine informed opinion

No I was saying the pirates ride came before pirates movies. Avatar ride came like what, 7-8 years after the movie?

the pirates ride before pirates came out had nothing to do with the movie. it wasn't until like the third movie that they actually updated the ride to include jack sparrow.

and the avatar ride is hot now because it's a new attraction, in the same way the simpsons ride was ultra hot at universal (even though it came out years after "good simpsons" ended). if disney put out a ride and it wasn't the talk of the park in its first few weeks/months, something's gone wrong.

robotrock

Banned
... Yes, I know.

Badass. I had to pay 60k a year to learn that in my mechanical engineering school (we were on an Imagineering unit at the time).

If you were going to ask how school is going for me, well, the answer is it's not going so well. I've been out for a couple of years now with my shiny degree, and still can't find a job. It's really insane just how fucking tough life can be on you, even when you give it your all.

Haha well thanks for listening. Hope you have a good one ;)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It has to make $1billion just to break even. How many movies have made that much money in the history of film?

Also, I'm assuming that means they are definitely going to shoot some scenes in China, to get that Chinese market
This is the budget for all four sequels. He's shooting them back to back to back.

His last two movies have been $5 billion. His next four will easily clear $1 billion each.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Badass. I had to pay 60k a year to learn that in my mechanical engineering school (we were on an Imagineering unit at the time).

If you were going to ask how school is going for me, well, the answer is it's not going so well. I've been out for a couple of years now with my shiny degree, and still can't find a job. It's really insane just how fucking tough life can be on you, even when you give it your all.

Haha well thanks for listening. Hope you have a good one ;)

... Uh ...

snap

Banned
Why not... which movies are better action movies than T2?

Was mainly referring to the recent Apes trilogy. Despite a less notable first entry both of the latter entries have some really breathtaking action and really make you feel for the characters in a way I never did for anyone in T2.

On the merits of the action alone, both of the Raid movies and John Wick movies hit real hard in a way T2 doesn't. Genuinely feel that T2 is held back by its age, some of the special effects don't really hold up anymore. Snowpiercer is also a honorable mention in that it hits deeper themes and ideas than T2 did, even if I wasn't a huge fan of its third act.

I'm confused. Aren't 90s kids the very epitome of millennials?

no, 90s kids are generally kids who grew up in the 90s, as opposed to what i view as millenials (my age group), who were born in the 90s but grew up in the early 00s

The Matrix

Edit: Not The Raid of John Wick though.

the matrix has one great scene and a bunch of ok scenes.

robotrock

Banned
Was mainly referring to the recent Apes trilogy. Despite a less notable first entry both of the latter entries have some really breathtaking action and really make you feel for the characters in a way I never did for anyone in T2.

Hahahaha come on man. Trolling? I can't take those movies seriously.
no, 90s kids are generally kids who grew up in the 90s, as opposed to what i view as millenial (my age group), who was born in the 90s but grew up in the early 00s

That's not the right definition.

snap

Banned
Hahahaha come on man. Trolling? I can't take those movies seriously.

That's not the right definition.

you can't take the apes movies seriously in the same way i can't take an uninventive movie about stealing resources from a native peoples only for the native peoples to rise up with less advanced technology and with the help of "the good guys" win against the oppressive force who want them all dead seriously.

heck even The Last Samurai did more with that premise than Avatar did, and Avatar wasn't even limited by historical events.

yes?

We gonna let this thread derail into snap's bad movie opinions thread?

a. i thought you said "it's perfectly fine for you not to like these movies." but now my opinions are "bad?"

b. y'all are the ones who asked me, i didn't take this discussion here.

robotrock

Banned
you can't take the apes movies seriously in the same way i can't take an uninventive movie about stealing resources from a native peoples only for the native peoples to rise up with less advanced technology and with the help of "the good guys" win against the oppressive force who want them all dead seriously.

Forget about Avatar dude you're saying these movies are better than Terminator 2.

This thread went stupid a lot faster than I thought it would.

Just hope the first trailer doesn't spoil the entire movie like Avatar 1's did.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sorry, I was just a bit stunned. But of course, you're right. Matrix's cheap action scenes do not hold a candle against Keanu Reeves shooting hoards of dummies that openly run into his line of fire, covering the screen with CGI blood. I just saw John Wick 2 couple of weeks back and thought it was a work of art.

I'd like to think Cameron cares a bit more about his movies than how they do at the box office. I think the poster was talking about why the director wanted to do it so badly. It's a puzzle to me too.

Maybe he really wants to make a completely realistic alien world with CGI in his movies or something? That was definitely the part of Avatar that seemed like it had the most love poured into it.

He's an environmentalist.

robotrock

Banned
You can't take one of the most critically acclaimed action series of our generation "seriously?"

You make some interesting posts.

I'm looking at a picture of an ape riding a horse right now. This is the stupidest thing I've ever laid eyes on.

snap

Banned
Sorry, I was just a bit stunned. But of course, you're right. Matrix's cheap action scenes do not hold a candle against Keanu Reeves shooting hoards of dummies that openly run into his line of fire, covering the screen with CGI blood. I just saw John Wick 2 couple of weeks back and thought it was a work of art.

i'm sorry that the only scene i found super impressive in matrix was the lobby scene. and that the rest of the action seemed fine but didn't stun me in the same way that wick stabbing someone repeatedly with a pencil or having a gun battle with another assassin through a fountain did.

john wick 2's underground section was weaker than it should've been but it still hit hard while the rest of the movie was firing on all cylinders.

I'm looking at a picture of an ape riding a horse right now. This is the stupidest thing I've ever laid eyes on.

oh, so you've never even watched those movies. got it.

Stiler

Titanic

Seeing a pattern here?

He's the only director in history to have not one but two billion+ dollar grossing movies.

Dhx

The Apes movies are actually great. Phenomenal even. You should see them as soon as possible. They still aren't in the discussion with T2.

ZeoVGM

Banned

You could find scenes in most beloved fantasy films that are stupid out of context.

You're honestly kind of embarrassing yourself right now. Like, full ignorance on display.

Disagree with you immensely on your stance on the genre haha. Plus you failed to mention the only action movie this decade that even belongs in the conversation with stuff like T2, Mad Max Fury Road. Come on man

gfxtwin

Lighting already struck twice for Cameron, so it doesn't seem likely that any one upcoming Avatar sequel will make that billion back, but all of them combined? Probably that and some change.

Also, in the end, he's shooting as much or less at one time than Jackson did with LOTR. The shortest cuts of the trilogy still come in at over 9 hours, and Cameron suggested he will be shooting 8, so I'm not sure how it's unprecedented aside from maybe the 3D part.

snap

Banned
Disagree with you immensely on your stance on the genre haha. Plus you failed to mention the only action movie this decade that even belongs in the conversation with stuff like T2, Mad Max Fury Road

that's a real good movie too. it just slipped my mind, was mostly thinking of stuff that stuck with me recently and both apes and wick are up there.

jett

D-Member

On paper, the Apes movie should be the dumbest shit.

But watch the first movie, Rise of the Planet of the Apes. You'll be surprised.

robotrock

Banned
I have seen all of the reboot Planet of the Apes movies in theaters and enjoyed the first one at the time but I thought 2 and 3 were dumb. (War for the Planet of the Apes spoilers)
Every time there was a scene handling the subplot of that girl who didn't talk, it was handled in a really hokey way with this weird music. I could not take that seriously. I also could not take the comedic relief ape seriously, I thought his humor was bad and not funny.
Also the monkeys riding horses was stupid.

Something I really liked in the first movie was that moment where Caesar said "NO". I don't think either of the sequels handled any moments as well as that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
i'm sorry that the only scene i found super impressive in matrix was the lobby scene. and that the rest of the action seemed fine but didn't stun me in the same way that wick stabbing someone repeatedly with a pencil or having a gun battle with another assassin through a fountain did.
The whole opening sequence (for which the Wachowskie's reportedly burned their whole initial production budget) convinced Warner to finance the rest of the movie.... The helicopter crash? The iconic bullet time sequence?

I mean, I don't want to argue about taste but I am a bit confused by your statements.

Like, for all I care go ahead and say the Apes movie are better (saw War this year as well and thought it was an amazing movie) but saying Matrix has one good action scene and a bunch of ok ones when it's still groundbreaking to this day is stupid mate.

snap

Banned
I have seen all of the reboot Planet of the Apes movies in theaters and enjoyed the first one at the time but I thought 2 and 3 were dumb. (War for the Planet of the Apes spoilers)
Every time there was a scene handling the subplot of that girl who didn't talk, it was handled in a really hokey and corny way with this weird music. I could not take that seriously. I also could not take the comedic relief ape seriously, I thought his humor was bad and not funny.
Also the monkeys riding horses was stupid.

i don't know what to say to this other than if you watched all three movies and still think apes riding horses are stupid you might've misunderstood or just missed a good amount of what those movies were about

The whole opening sequence (for which the Wachowskie's reportedly burned their whole initial production budget) convinced Warner to finance the rest of the movie.... The helicopter crash? The iconic bullet time sequence?

I mean, I don't want to argue about taste but I am a bit confused by your statements.

Like, for all I care go ahead and say the Apes movie are better (saw War this year as well and thought it was an amazing movie) but saying Matrix has one good action scene and a bunch of ok ones when it's still groundbreaking to this day is stupid mate.

the opening sequence is cool and all but not memorable in a major way. i totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. i felt like the helicopter stuff had way too much slow mo and i think just the eternal parodying of the bullet time stuff destroyed any impact that scene has on me anymore.

robotrock

Banned
i don't know what to say to this other than if you watched all three movies and still think apes riding horses are stupid you might've misunderstood or just missed a good amount of what those movies were about

I got it, man. Those movies are not subtle at all.

Matt Reeves is the b movie Nolan

edit: more like B Nolan I guess. those movies sure have bigger budgets than most B movies

snap

Banned
I got it, man. Those movies are not subtle at all.

Matt Reeves is the b movie Nolan

how did this thread go from "snap saying T2 has been surpassed and that's absolutely mental" to "robotrock is shitting on the Apes trilogy and calling Reeves a b movie Nolan"

like it's not a competition to say the most controversial thing, man

Top Bottom