• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar’ Starts Production Today; $1 Billion Budget

Wait, why is Avatar getting credit for performance capture when I saw it first with Heavenly Sword and Uncharted???

This is not a "thanks to Avatar" situation. It's just simply "thanks to new tech".

Erm, Avatar invented the perf-cap tech. Not to be confused with mocap. The rig with the camera attached to the subject's head is what we're talking about.

Sec0nd

I'm sad Cameron decided to put all this time and effort in the Avatar universe. I mean, the first film was fun. Largely in part of the then novel 3D and the amazing CGI. Every thing else was fine, but nothing special. I'm honestly not excited at all for new Avatar movies.

I hope Cameron proves us all wrong though.

Erm, Avatar invented the perf-cap tech. Not to be confused with mocap. The rig with the camera attached to the subject's head is what we're talking about.
It's an evolution of the same tech.

Andy Serkis would still make the Apes movies after LotR, King Kong and Heavenly Sword if Avatar never existed.

It's an evolution of the same tech.

Andy Serkis would still make the Apes movies after LotR, King Kong and Heavenly Sword.
Nobody said Avatar invented motion capture. It was said Avatar very specifically invented the performance capture tech.

There's no problem here.

It's not even the biggest tech advancement that Avatar spearheaded - which would be the Simulcam.

I, for one, welcome our new Avatar overlords. Enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to discovering where Cameron takes the sequels. I only wish there was an IMAX within reasonable distance of where I live.

Dude Abides

Banned
The first one will be a huge pop-cultural event I'm sure, but the story and characters will have to improve a lot to hold people's interest over four movies.

nubbe

a billion dollar for 4 movies that are based on one of the most profitable movies of all time seem rather weak

Nobody said Avatar invented motion capture. It was said Avatar very specifically invented the performance capture tech.

There's no problem here.

It's not even the biggest tech advancement that Avatar spearheaded - which would be the Simulcam.
I'm just replying to the idea that The Apes movies wouldn't be a thing without Avatar which I find untrue.

SpaceWolf

Banned
a billion dollar for 4 movies that are based on one of the most profitable movies of all time seem rather weak

Considering they won't be able to comfortably rely on 3D sales this time around, if anything, it seems excessive at this stage.

Considering they won't be able to comfortably rely on 3D sales this time around, if anything, it seems excessive at this stage.
Here we go again with the revisionist history. Avatar owes the 3D surcharge for its success! 2.8billion dollars wasn't all due to 3D surcharge.

The 2D blu was the highest selling home release until Frozen hit.

Busty

Banned
If Cameron can stay on budget, which he definitely won't, this will prove a smart investment by Fox.

But it won't.

But it would be, if Cameron stayed on budget.

Which he won't.

But imagine he does...., which of course will never happen.

*cough*

If Cameron can stay on budget, which he definitely won't, this will prove a smart investment by Fox.

But it won't.

But it would be, if Cameron stayed on budget.

Which he won't.

But imagine he does...., which of course will never happen.

*cough*
You saying you don't think this will prove a smart investment by Fox?

Even if he goes $300m over budget, it would be more than a safe bet.

Busty

Banned
Given how Fox executives we so worried about Avatar's spiralling budget they sold off half the equity in the film to co-financing partners and now here they are making four of these things back to back I'm saying that if Fox can keep Cameron on a financial leash, which no on has managed before, it could be massive for them.

But they won't keep him on a financial leash.

At all.

So we shall see.

eh, he'll definitely go over budget. they'll worry as they always do, he'll deliver them their money back in spades like he tends to do. etc. etc.

Glass Rebel

Regardless of how I feel about the first Avatar, this is going to be amazing. I'm afraid it's gonna make Aquabro look dated in no time.

Koriandrr

What a fucking clickbait.

Can you stop with this bullshit journalism please?

that's 250M per film which is average AAA hollywood production.

World of Pandora at Disney's Animal Kingdom is look like a smart move now, after many people questioned what the hell Disney were doing committing to the Avatar franchise longterm.

I doubt Fox will end up regretting spending this money.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
What a fucking clickbait.

Can you stop with this bullshit journalism please?

that's 250M per film which is average AAA hollywood production.

That's not average at all. Only a few films like Star Wars FA, Avengers, BvS, Dark Knight Rises were 250 million. Most other movies are 150-200 million

cantona222

The issue is that Avatar has no fans. It was a fun 3D movie but nothing else is memorable about the characters or the story in general.

Titanic

Seeing a pattern here?

He's the only director in history to have not one but two billion+ dollar grossing movies.

Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, and Joss Whedon have two movies each that grossed over $1b as well.

Cameron was the sole director to have a film over $2b, but JJ Abrams joined that with Force Awakens.

Cameron is the only director to have a film over $2.5b though.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, and Joss Whedon have two movies each that grossed over $1b as well.

Cameron was the sole director to have a film over $2b, but JJ Abrams joined that with Force Awakens.

Cameron is the only director to have a film over $2.5b though.

That wasn't due to Abrams though but rather the popularity of Star Wars.

That wasn't due to Abrams though but more the brand of Star Wars.

He still directed a film that people wanted to go see enough times that it made $2b worldwide, and close to $1b domestic.

The post I was referring to was just that Cameron was the sole director to hit two $1b+ films, not two $1b films that were not part of a franchise or based on another property.

antispin

I haven't completed my viewing of the first movie yet, found it too boring, but this project sounds amazing in ambition. I hope the team succeeds, wish them the best. I'd love a behind-the-scenes on this project.

CassSept

He still directed a film that people wanted to go see enough times that it made $2b worldwide, and close to $1b domestic.

The post I was referring to was just that Cameron was the sole director to hit two $1b+ films, not two $1b films that were not part of a franchise or based on another property.

Yeah, none of the prequel trilogy hit $1b in their original run despite Star Wars run. You would have thought TPM hitting $1b would be a done deal given the popularity of the franchise.

The first movie was insanely spectacular, both in 3D and 2D. Story-wise it wasn't anything special, but it managed to draw an interesting starting point. We'll see if Cameron can continue well from here. The movies will clearly look insanely good, we'll see how the story goes though. I echo the people who'd rather have him chase different directions as well because from a narrative standpoint Avatar was one of his weakest offerings, but if he sets up Avatar 2 right it could lead to something like Star Wars in scope.

jett

D-Member
Wait, why is Avatar getting credit for performance capture when I saw it first with Heavenly Sword and Uncharted???

This is not a "thanks to Avatar" situation. It's just simply "thanks to new tech".

p.s. Naughty Dog exclusively hand animated facial animation until Uncharted 4.

I can't be the only one thinking the only real appeal of Avatar was the 3D right? I seen it in theatres and anyone I've talked to said the same thing.

I don't think the sequels will be anywhere near as successful as the first one. The movie was very average, again, outside the novelty of 3d

llien

That's not average at all. Only a few films like Star Wars FA, Avengers, BvS, Dark Knight Rises were 250 million. Most other movies are 150-200 million

Welp, 150-200 is not that far from 250 to be news worthy, in my opinion.
Anyhow:

wlf29f0.png

Top Bottom