• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

sol_bad

I really hope the 1st and 2nd film get released in 3D in Oz. We haven't had 3D releases in years now. YEEEEAAAARS.

Avatar is on the release schedule for September, just no idea if it's 3D or not.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
How are they going to handle the UHD BD release? Can players even read a movie that has a variable frame rate ? Will the 2D version also have 24-48p frame rates ?

Man this could become THE reference disc. Im almost more pumped about that release than just seeing it in theaters.

ManaByte

How are they going to handle the UHD BD release? Can players even read a movie that has a variable frame rate ? Will the 2D version also have 24-48p frame rates ?

Man this could become THE reference disc. Im almost more pumped about that release than just seeing it in theaters.

UHD BD can only do 24fps or 60fps. Doesn't support 48fps. That's why the Hobbit movies were only released in 24fps, but both of Ang Le's movies were released in 60fps on disc. So we won't get the HFR version on disc.

sankt-Antonio

UHD BD can only do 24fps or 60fps. Doesn't support 48fps. That's why the Hobbit movies were only released in 24fps, but both of Ang Le's movies were released in 60fps on disc. So we won't get the HFR version on disc.
Mhhh... couldn't they encode the movie in a 60fps encoder, but have frame doubling for 24p etc? Man that sucks major balls otherwise. Would love to have judder/stutter free pans and detailed action scenes.

Stuart360

Mhhh... couldn't they encode the movie in a 60fps encoder, but have frame doubling for 24p etc? Man that sucks major balls otherwise. Would love to have judder/stutter free pans and detailed action scenes.
The last i read was he was aiming for 60fps with A2, thats was a few years ago now though.

Stuart360

Cameron confirmed it's 48fps in 2020.
Ah that sucks a bit then for me as we wont get a home version.

The Hobbit at 48fps doesnt look great for me -

60fps looks almost real though, like you are actually there and seeing it through your own eyes -

Chiggs

It's practically been abandoned since the last explosion of 3D films. 2D showings are always more popular for every movie in my country

"Frankly, I don't care if it kicks off a new revolution in 3d or if it doesn't, as long as people associate Avatar with the best possible cinema experience...and Avatar 2 and Avatar 3, then I'm fine. Everybody else can just do what they want."

Last edited:

ManaByte

Ah that sucks a bit then for me as we wont get a home version.

The Hobbit at 48fps doesnt look great for me -

60fps looks almost real though, like you are actually there and seeing it through your own eyes -

Yea I bought the Gemini Man disc just to see it in 60fps. Looks amazing.

Stuart360

That's it, I'm going to Dr. Strangelove to see this in IMAX :messenger_hushed:
A gif just for you.

0ed775e82a76abd48ad044a494aaf7b9724358af.gifv

Shubh_C63

Yeah I am not in the doubting James Cameron profession. Time and time again the guy has redefined standards.

I haven't even seen the first Avatar but all these will be day 1 for me.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Enough with this Dances with Cats crap.

What a waste for someone so talented as Cameron. I find him a phenomenal visionary, he’s one of my favorite directors, and he insists on pouring all his effort into this wholly generic and, IMO, largely uninteresting universe. I wouldn’t mind if it were only one film, but the man’s not getting any younger. Do we really need four films in this? The original was decent, but honestly not all that captivating, and certainly not enough to warrant such creative expenditure.

I would like to see what else he’s to pull out of that creative hat of his before he takes a final bow out. I fear this is his final curtain call, which would be an unfortunate punctuation on such a career.

Vick

Looks like they're touching up the effects and remastered audio. I'll be there on day one, and of course watching it in 3D.

https://screenrant.com/avatar-theatrical-re-release-before-sequel-september-2022/
They are remastering "picture", doens't mean they are touching up VFX as far as we know. The term "Remaster", before getting misinterpreted by videogames, had a completely different meaning for movies.
Avatar was completed with a 2K DI and the live action digital shot didn't even reach 2K, this means the new 4K release necessarily needs some work from a picture point of view. I'm personally very curious, excluding resolution and definition (necessary to blend the low res live action to CG), the final Avatar master done by Reliance had basically perfect image, in terms of gamma, contrast, color gamut etc. it was so perfect it looked three dimensional even in 2D on Panasonic plasmas.
Hope they won't fuck that look too much, but on the other hand this new Way of Water teaser looks infinitely superior from a resolution point of view, a whole different planet in this regard.

Pretty sure he's looking at how Jackson remastered LOTR and Hobbit and going in that direction. Those are perfect in 4K.
I wouldn't call LOTR 4K perfect to be honest.

Last edited:
This was a teaser and that is how it should have been marketed and discussed. This is not a trailer.

Movie will look amazing.will make more than 2 bil if china is on board.

I still do not like it but wjo knows.

ManaByte

They are remastering "picture", doens't mean they are touching up VFX as far as we know. The term "Remaster", before getting misinterpreted by videogames, had a completely different meaning for movies.
Avatar was completed with a 2K DI and the live action digital shot didn't even reach 2K, this means the new 4K release necessarily needs some work from a picture point of view. I'm personally very curious, excluding resolution and definition (necessary to blend the low res live action to CG), the final Avatar master done by Reliance had basically perfect image, in terms of gamma, contrast, color gamut etc. it was so perfect it looked three dimensional even in 2D on Panasonic plasmas.
Hope they won't fuck that look too much, but on the other hand this new Way of the Water teaser looks infinitely superior from a resolution point of view, a whole different planet in this regard.

Pretty sure he's looking at how Jackson remastered LOTR and Hobbit and going in that direction. Those are perfect in 4K.

ManaByte

What a waste for someone so talented as Cameron. I find him a phenomenal visionary, he’s one of my favorite directors, and he insists on pouring all his effort into this wholly generic and, IMO, largely uninteresting universe. I wouldn’t mind if it were only one film, but the man’s not getting any younger. Do we really need four films in this? The original was decent, but honestly not all that captivating, and certainly not enough to warrant such creative expenditure.

I would like to see what else he’s to pull out of that creative hat of his before he takes a final bow out. I fear this is his final curtain call, which would be an unfortunate punctuation on such a career.

He's only going to be 72 when these end. It's not like he's in his 90s.

Aggelos

I also have a feeling that creating/building the Avatar Saga would be Cameron's last contribution to the film industry. Life expectancy is around 75 years in this modern world that we're living. Sure here's hoping that Cameron is gonna reach ripe old age, but you never know...
But let the man be. Obviously, he wanted (and craved for) this fully digital world inhabited by humanoid creatures since the '90s, although his then visual effects company, Digital Domain, couldn't pull it off. Eventually, he made it, and Avatar became the highest-grossing film of all time. So, he went all-in in building the Avatar Saga. Perhaps he dabbed a little bit at other films such as Alita Battle Angel and Terminator Dark Fate, but his sole focus is the Avatar Saga. So just let the man be.

"In 1994, Cameron finished the screenplay of Project 880, his next planned film. The script was about a man named Josh Sully traveling to the planet Pandora and falling in love with the native alien Zuleika. In August 1996, Cameron stated that he would direct Project 880 after finishing the filming of Titanic, and that the film would be released in 1999. However, Cameron felt that the technology of that time was not enough and realistic for the project, putting it on hold. Finally, in October 2005, 20th Century Fox greenlit the production of the project. Jon Landau was to produce the film. However, Cameron made many changes to the Project 880 script, and it was finally released in 2009 as Avatar."

Last edited:
Industry wisdom says never bet against Cameron. They said titanic would be shit. Became the highest grossing film. They said avatar would be a flop. Same story. Now Avatar 2... Yeah, I wanna say nobody cares but when they start marketing the shit out of it everyone will remember it was quite the cute novel experience at the cinema.

That, and the first one made big money when it re-released in China last year.
Titanic was shit.

But it sure was a success. As was avatar

sankt-Antonio

Let me take you to our most sacred spot on our planet......lets have sex there. That is pretty cringe.
Why? You apply American value systems on an alien species from another planet.

Sex, and location of said fucking is not a valid point for critic and supports Cameron’s claims above.

AJUMP23

Why? You apply American value systems on an alien species from another planet.

Sex, and location of said fucking is not a valid point for critic and supports Cameron’s claims above.
I guess I could apply the Vestal Virgin moral code. I don't think it was an American moral code....maybe a western society, although I don't know of many eastern societies that consider sexual activity in holy sites to be normal.

Like the first movie it's designed around 3D and that's how it's meant to be seen. Cameron doesn't do stupid 3D conversions with software, he films the live action stuff with a 3D camera.

I know that but it's nothing special is all. One of the best implementations of 3D for sure but none are mind-blowing in anyway.

Stuart360

Holy shit i'm going to have to go to Disney World at some point, this Pandora ride looks incrediblle -

Has anyone here actually tried it?

PanzerAzel

I understand, but it's around the time people retire. I have a suspicion Cameron will probably spend most of his later years on the ocean, which I think is his true calling.
I also have a feeling that creating/building the Avatar Saga would be Cameron's last contribution to the film industry. Life expectancy is around 75 years in this modern world that we're living. Sure here's hoping that Cameron is gonna reach ripe old age, but you never know...
But let the man be. Obviously, he wanted (and craved for) this fully digital world inhabited by humanoid creatures since the '90s, although his then visual effects company, Digital Domain, couldn't pull it off. Eventually, he made it, and Avatar became the highest-grossing film of all time. So, he went all-in in building the Avatar Saga. Perhaps he dabbed a little bit at other films such as Alita Battle Angel and Terminator Dark Fate, but his sole focus is the Avatar Saga. So just let the man be.
That's fair enough, I'm not entitled to anything from him. Just strikes me a shame to commit so much to one vision with such a visionary.

Top Bottom