• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Scores 2nd Highest-Opening - The Age of Marvel is Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aliens and Predator are not all a part of the same franchise, even if they've met a couple times to try and kill each other. MCU consists of multiple franchises that occaisionally do crossovers.

The MCU is a franchise that consists of other franchises. There's the Iron Man franchise, the Captain America franchise, the Thor franchise, all within the Marvel franchise

It's a megacorporation's wet dream

border

Wait, people seriously think Avengers 1 was better than 2? Whaaat?

Of course, yes.

It was fun seeing established characters come together to form a united team in Avengers 1. The Battle of New York was a great, memorable set piece.T he original film had the massive advantage of having all its characters and villains already established.

In Age of Ultron, the film's attention is so divided between returning characters and launching 4 new characters that I think a lot of fun got lost. The Battle of Some Craphole Town In Russia was mostly forgettable and full of cornball "Save the civillians" shenanigans.

Funny was at comic stores all weekend doing events for the 501st legion, and all weekend I hear negative or meh comments about AoU. There really seems to be a bit of negative word of mouth on this one. The party we went with for work to see it also had a lot of Luke warm reactions to it.

Wait, people seriously think Avengers 1 was better than 2? Whaaat?

No Marvel movie is going to bomb any time soon.

Avengers 1 was a better put together film. 2 was all kinds of sloppy, felt disjointed and all over the place.

And no one really expects a Marvel bomb, but a decline in their performance? Of course it can happen.

3N16MA

Banned
The jokes, banter, villain, progression, and final battle were all better in the first film. It felt less bloated and unsure of itself like AoU did.

Avengers 1 had Loki as the most non-threatening villain ever (he had just returned fresh off getting his ass whipped by one Avenger), pretty poor camera work and lame fights.

Ultron and Wanda felt dangerous, the camera work was far better, the fights were much better and all the characters got a chance to shine.

Oh, and the VISION.

Only thing Avengers was better at was feeling like a culmination of events instead of merely setting the stage for Civil War.

AoU will pass the first movie's gross on the strength of its international totals. $1.6 billion is likely. $1.7 billion will be a stretch. I don't think it'll make Titanic's first run of $1.8b any more.

3N16MA

Banned
Avengers 1 had Loki as the most non-threatening villain ever (he had just returned fresh off getting his ass whipped by one Avenger), pretty poor camera work and lame fights.

Ultron and Wanda felt dangerous, the camera work was far better, the fights were much better and all the characters got a chance to shine.

Oh, and the VISION.

Only thing Avengers was better at was feeling like a culmination of events instead of merely setting the stage for Civil War.

Spoiler:
Wanda pretty much thrashed the Avengers on her own. Ultron wasn't needed.

Some threads just become too confusing to read through due to the high rate of sarcastic posts. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see the second weekend's numbers.

CloudWolf

Age of Ultron making less than Avengers 1 doesn't really surprise me. Even though I liked it more than the first (mainly due to Ultron being a far more interesting villian than Loki), I think people are getting tired of Marvel at this point. The novelty has kinda worn off.

Oh, and the VISION.
I actually didn't really like Wanda or The Vision. Wanda is basically crazy OP since she can apparently do anything she wants to with her powers (seriously, she uses Jedi Mind Tricks, makes energy shields, has some form of superspeed/teleportation, shoots energy blasts, can levitate stuff, etc) and The Vision was underused.
Seriously, where the hell did he go after he wiped Ultron from 'the internet'?

Donos

in threads like this the sarcasm comments get mixed up and replied to with serious posts easily.
The fight surely had an influence and the numbers are still huge and a big win for marvel. Speaking of a superhero decline is really laughable. A few million $$$ less than the first one and people already speak of "everybody getting tired of these superhero movies"? (based on some of the serious comments here)

I won't get enough of superhero movies if they are made well. Not looking forward to another Thor but anything else? Feed me!

Age of Ultron making less than Avengers 1 doesn't really surprise me. Even though I liked it more than the first (mainly due to Ultron being a far more interesting villian than Loki), I think people are getting tired of Marvel at this point. The novelty has kinda worn off.

I actually didn't really like Wanda or The Vision. Wanda is basically crazy OP since she can apparently do anything she wants to with her powers (seriously, she uses Jedi Mind Tricks, makes energy shields, has some form of superspeed/teleportation, shoots energy blasts, can levitate stuff, etc) and The Vision was underused.
Seriously, where the hell did he go after he wiped Ultron from 'the internet'?

I'm guessing using the mind gem in such a fashion drained him and he blacked out.

DeathyBoy

Banned
in threads like this the sarcasm comments get mixed up and replied to with serious posts easily.
The fight surely had an influence and the numbers are still huge and a big win for marvel. Speaking of a superhero decline is really laughable. A few million $$$ less than the first one and people already speak of "everybody getting tired of these superhero movies"? (based on some of the serious comments here)

I won't get enough of superhero movies if they are made well. Not looking forward to another Thor but anything else? Feed me!

I don't think Disney or Marvel is going to be ecstatic that this film made less opening weekend than the first one did. It's a business, they want to be seen as moving forward constantly artistically and commercially. It's terrific box office, until they have to explain to stockholders and investors how they spent more and made less.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I don't think Disney or Marvel is going to be ecstatic that this film made less opening weekend than the first one did. It's a business, they want to be seen as moving forward constantly artistically and commercially. It's terrific box office, until they have to explain to stockholders and investors how they spent more and made less.
I think the shareholders would be wise to not expect Avengers-levels of revenue every single incarnation. If you do, you're insane.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think they expected more to be honest.
Why would they? Out of the post avengers movies, only cap 2 and GotG outperformed expectations, iirc.
Plus, Avengers released stateside first, age of Ultron released internationally first before releasing in the US. By then any negative views on the movie put down anyone on the fence for this movie.

BBboy20

The fact that it did a buck 90 during mayweather / pacquiao weekend AND me returning from a business trip (therefore being unable to see it) is astonishing. M/P fight plays to the exact same audience as avengers and people spent $400M on it on saturday.
Boxing more popular then superheroes...huh.

MCUU-GAF is going to be on suicide watch is BvS does more than 200 mil opening weekend.
Considering those two are some of the most popular fictional characters that have ever existed, I wouldn't be surprised.

Russo brothers gave it a gritty spin, which is what we'll see with the next avengers installment.
Well, it's Infinity Gauntlet so I'd imagine "The End Is Nigh" would be screamed over and over.

I agree with all of those points. It felt like too much was crammed into the movie. Things happened too fast, there wasn't enough time for the story or characters to really spread their wings or play out naturally. Just too much too quickly, not enough time for the smaller, more human moments.
Yeah. I enjoyed the movie a lot. It just feels like a less satisfying meal than the other recent Marvel fare. A director's cut of some sort might iron out some of those problems.
Is there any reason these flicks not be 3 hours long considering these flicks are going to have constant action scenes to not bore the audience? Because I can't see each Infinity War flick not be 3 hours with all the characters that are going to be jammed in.

Besides, we all know Black Panther is going to have that Empire effect in the US, and I couldn't be more excited.
Empire Strikes Back?

I think the shareholders would be wise to not expect Avengers-levels of revenue every single incarnation. If you do, you're insane.
Welcome to Big Business.

Beyond the fact that Avengers 1 was a better 'event' moment, there's also a stronger sense of tightness, in the sense that every single pre-Avengers movie was a slow, simmering build-up to Avengers.

I never got that sense with the Phase 2 movies, tbh. All of them were building up to different things, but it wasn't as cohesive as Phase 1 movies building up to the Avengers.

From everything I saw leading up to the release without doing any research other than the marketing that reached me, it looked boring and like they desaturated everything so it would look gray.

It was a really nice weekend in the northeast.

It's the actors who sell Marvel movies and because of that Doctor Strange will print money while Ant-man and Black Panther will bomb. Paul Rudd doesn't have the big fanbase like RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Pratt or Benedict Cumberbatch do.

RDJ has a big fanbase because of Iron Man

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's the actors who sell Marvel movies and because of that Doctor Strange will print money while Ant-man and Black Panther will bomb. Paul Rudd doesn't have the big fanbase like RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Pratt or Benedict Cumberbatch do.

Was Chris Pratt really that famous before Guardians of the Galaxy?

I don't know if free comic book day hurt them but in NYC there were lines around the block at comic shops but the theater was barely half full when I went at 3pm.

kswiston

Was Chris Pratt really that famous before Guardians of the Galaxy?

No. He had his part in Parks and Rec, but other than that his biggest movie roles was the lead voice in the Lego Movie, and some bit parts in Her, Moneyball, Wanted, and Zero Dark 30.

I don't know if free comic book day hurt them but in NYC there were lines around the block at comic shops but the theater was barely half full when I went at 3pm.

Free comic book day always happens on the first Saturday of the biggest comic film of the year.

I liked AoU as much as the first avengers. I think both movies are up there with me in the MCU along with winter soldier and GOTG.

Slayven

What am I reading?

No. He had his part in Parks and Rec, but other than that his biggest movie roles was the lead voice in the Lego Movie, and some bit parts in Her, Moneyball, Wanted, and Zero Dark 30.

Free comic book day always happens on the first Saturday of the biggest comic film of the year.
Did it happen for the first avengers though? I honestly can't remember. I know they coincide it, that's most of the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom