• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Scores 2nd Highest-Opening - The Age of Marvel is Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game4life

Banned
I kinda think this is the correct answer. Furious 7 was not even the best F&F movie and it was still a better action/drama/emotional movie than AoU.

Honestly I find that fact very sad, but cant help the fact that AoU was just forgettable. People have it right to label it filler. In the grand scheme of things it may not be from a story perspective, but the overall way it played out and the lack of anything hard hitting happening in the film completely made it feel like a filler episode. Not what you expect from a 200 million + production budget tent-pole blockbuster. There were just no stakes at all in this film.

AOU is mediocre but not a turd like Furious 7. Atleast AOU had moments of humor. Furious 7 had me face palming.

Afrodium

Banned
Ant-Man will do much, much worse. Seems like there is little to no hype for it in my circle of gaming/comic book friends, but that may be due to Wright leaving.

I don't think anyone is expecting Ant-Man to pull in Avengers money. The next MCU movie that could realistically beat Avengers 1 is Avengers 3, maybe GotG 2.

SFenton

Ant-Man will do much, much worse. Seems like there is little to no hype for it in my circle of gaming/comic book friends, but that may be due to Wright leaving.

Sure, but the question is how much worse. I'd peg it with anywhere between $60-$80 opening depending on the way early reviews swing.

Sure, but the question is how much worse. I'd peg it with anywhere between $60-$80 opening depending on the way early reviews swing.

$60-80 would actually line up with the rest of Marvel's first films, aside from Iron Man & Guardians. Thor brought in $65, Cap was $65, Hulk was a little lower at $55. I think if it can open between $60-80, it'll be just what Marvel has come to expect; I doubt it does what the other phase 2 films did opening weekend because they had Avengers & first part hype. Guardians was just a phenomenon. Hoping Ant-Man can get about $65mil opening weekend.

18-Volt

It's the actors who sell Marvel movies and because of that Doctor Strange will print money while Ant-man and Black Panther will bomb. Paul Rudd doesn't have the big fanbase like RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Pratt or Benedict Cumberbatch do.

Kusagari

It's the actors who sell Marvel movies and because of that Doctor Strange will print money while Ant-man and Black Panther will bomb. Paul Rudd doesn't have the big fanbase like RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Pratt or Benedict Cumberbatch do.

None of those besides RDJ come close to selling a movie.

3N16MA

Banned

Chris Pratt did not have a big enough fanbase to carry Guardians to 333M domestic. He had a following because of Parks but not nearly enough to account for what happend.

Chris Pratt did not have a big enough fanbase to carry Guardians to 333M domestic. He had a following because of Parks but not nearly enough to account for what happend.

Agreed. If anyone's name in Guardians brought the major star power, it was Bradley Cooper's. Maybe Vin Diesel, but obviously, as both were voices, can't bank on that.

Jaeger

Man. I was reading the first two pages and people actually think being the second biggest opening ever is bad. Y'all got issues and GAF can't help.

One man's contrivance is another man's "efficient storytelling."

I also agree that the Hulk and Black Widow romance was poop. It had no depth to it, no intrigue.

Given that they weren't yet in a relationship, how much more groundwork had to be laid?

How gradually are people supposed to get together?

Given that they established that Widow is now capable of calming him down, doesn't it make some sense that they might form a bond over that?

I'm not sure what "intrigue" you are looking for, the idea of it's doomed quality, Banner's reluctance to get close to anyone, and Widow finding some redemption in the one thing she does which doesn't involve hurting people-- seems like a lot of depth.

Chris Pratt is not what sold GOTG.

The fact that it was a love letter to Star Wars is what sold GOTG.

Sorcerer

Does anyone think Renner's/Evan's slut comments might have driven some potential female viewers away from the film?

I would guess no myself because peoples memorys tend to be short with that sort of thing.

Combined with the fight.

Combined with the fact the real good movie "Fury Road" is 2 weeks away?

Does anyone think Renner's/Evan's slut comments might have driven some potential female viewers away from the film?

I would guess no myself because peoples memorys tend to be short with that sort of thing.

Combined with the fight.

Or maybe people can take a joke? lol

Cheebo

Banned

Combined with the fight.

lol Fury Road. That movie isn't going to be a big hit at all, and I say that as someone who is extremely hyped for it. All signs point to it being crushed by Pitch Perfect that weekend. Last I saw Fury Road was tracking in the high 20's for OW and Pitch Perfect over 50.

Fury Road is destined to be this years Speed Racer. Blockbuster GAF worships, but fails to do big numbers.

Blader

Combined with the fight.

Mad Max is tracking in the 20 million range. No one's holding out for it.

FoneBone

I am beyond hyped for it personally, but I don't think Fury Road is even going to cross $100 million in the US. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: I thought tracking had it in the mid-high 20s, but if it's lower then that, it might not even be close.

That isn't the only reason. The film had weaker reviews than the first and marvel fatigue could have hurt it.

It's a great opening obviously but I'm sure Disney is at least a little disappointed with the result.
that definitely could have something to do with it.

phase 1 spanned for about 5 years. 2008-2012. phase 2 was 3 years. it could explain how iron man 3's box office exploded, coming off of the heels of av1.

I am beyond hyped for it personally, but I don't think Fury Road is even going to cross $100 million in the US. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: I thought tracking had it in the mid-high 20s, but if it's lower than it might not even be close.

I'm very hyped for it as well, but May is super-packed with major releases. And it's R rating will certainly effect its gross. And as much as I enjoy him, the only thing that could work against this film anymore is if Mel Gibson was in it. It's back is certainly against the wall. Regardless, I'll be seeing it opening night at the drive-in. Looks like a good drive-in movie.

Tobor

i can't tell if you guys are serious

It doesn't matter. Anyone who is seriously "concerned" is nuts anyways.

The movie is awesome and it's doing awesome numbers. It was just too high to climb to reach the 1st movies OW.

My guess is nothing will break that mark for a while.

Combined with the fight.

What comments?

Also, I doubt they made any impact. GAF is the only place where I heard about that.

Of course I am joking. That's just my personal opinion. I have heard Mad Max will most likely be buried by Pitch Perfect 2:(

Yeah it's a shame. Audiences keep sending the message that they don't want to watch fresh blockbusters. Fury road looks like it's making car crashes on film exciting again

If it does flop I just hope miller still has work. This film shows that he has a ton of life left in him beyond cartoon and family stuff

mr-paul

I don't get why they declare weekend box office takings on Sunday.

Surely it'd make more sense to get the true figure on Monday morning? Going on predictions seems utterly pointless to me.

cdyhybrid

I don't get why they declare weekend box office takings on Sunday.

Surely it'd make more sense to get the true figure on Monday morning? Going on predictions seems utterly pointless to me.

Because then you can get people to click on two articles.

does anyone think fandango and reserve seat theaters is playing a part?

I didn't even bother seeing it this weekend because I couldn't secure 4 seats for my family, whereas before we'd have just went to a theater early to get decent seats

Toa TAK

Banned

I didn't even bother seeing it this weekend because I couldn't secure 4 seats for my family, whereas before we'd have just went to a theater early to get decent seats

I always get my tickets from Fandango ahead of time.

BadAss2961

Of course I am joking. That's just my personal opinion. I have heard Mad Max will most likely be buried by Pitch Perfect 2:(
I honestly never heard of Pitch Perfect until this thread.

Mad Max looks awesome, and has been plastered all over television for the last month or so. I've seen more TV spots for it than The Avengers.

I was able to enter Saturday at 1:15PM with my whole family and had no problems finding seats, teather was half full BTW

inm8num2

rip marvel

rip boxing

took each other out tbh

Bob Iger, Mayweather, and Pacquiao did one of these:
VhX25rN.gif

Dalek

Why does this thread exist?

It was bait for a certain group of people to unironically jump out of their seats and shot "AH HA!" Before thinking it through, and at this point have doubled down to prevent embarrassment.

BadAss2961

It doesn't matter. Anyone who is seriously "concerned" is nuts anyways.

The movie is awesome and it's doing awesome numbers. It was just too high to climb to reach the 1st movies OW.

My guess is nothing will break that mark for a while.
Looking at the prediction thread and the general Marvel hype that engulfs GAF, most seemed to expect AoU to outperform the original.

Prototype

Showed up 45 mins early last night because I remembered how packed the first Avengers was, and there was no line. Theater on Saturday night at 10pm was like 30% full.

kswiston

Anyone who thinks any of the Marvel guys were box office draws before their Marvel movie is delusional. If we talking about proven "star power", Paul Rudd might be their biggest name yet (as sad as that is).

RDJ could barely get work before Iron Man. There's a reason he did the first movie for like $500k.

Measley

Yeah it's a shame. Audiences keep sending the message that they don't want to watch fresh blockbusters. Fury road looks like it's making car crashes on film exciting again

Eh... Desert car chases and punk-rock psychopaths really don't interest me at all. I have zero desire to see Fury Road. I might check out tomorrow land though.

I thought the movie was ok, trouble is I thought the first Avengers movie was just ok as well while everyone else was singing it's praises. For me the only interesting aspect of Marvel in film (aside from X-Men) is Captain America. Once the Steve Rogers arc is done, I likely will be as well and I can stop paying attention to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom