• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Endgame (SPOILER THREAD)

Don’t want to spoil it for anyone that has seen it but what did you think people?

I enjoyed it...did go for a long time though

it was basically a time travel heist movie with some feminist overtones towards the end...I’m glad that tony saved the day as if captain marvel did I’m pretty sure I would of lost my shit....she was basically a bolt on to a storyline and served no real purpose apart from being a towtruck or a cannonball...rant over

MetalAlien

Banned
I've seen some reviews that say Cheese Larson has a minimal role. Hopefully that is true. There was always rumored to be two versions of the movie, one with a lot of Cheese and one with less. Seems they chose wisely.

I've seen some reviews that say Cheese Larson has a minimal role. Hopefully that is true. There was always rumored to be two versions of the movie, one with a lot of Cheese and one with less. Seems they chose wisely.

Well
She shows up to tow Tony and Cyborg out of space...sticks around for about 5 seconds and flys off...then shows up in the end battle as target practice for the Thanos love cruiser and we get a extremely cheesy and forced females banding together moment and just when you are about sick of it they luckily bring it back to the actual avengers and tony saves the day.......that part of the movie didnt need that forced crap they have been trying to do...just let things happen naturally....it totally fucked that part of the movie up i think...going to be interesting to see if other have the same view

Also Thor
Sorry for the pun but fat thor was funny but one thing that puzzles me...if he showed up in the past and took his hammer with him..wouldn't that screw the events after that point for him at that time??

mcz117chief

Also Thor
Time travel is notoriously difficult for writers to get right. It is mostly either convoluted beyond reason or it takes a shortcut and thus leaves a lot of plot holes. There aren't that many examples of well done time travel.

I lold. From other spoilers I’ve read the movie sounds not great

Honestly I thought Infinity War was exceptionally shit and expected people to shit on it all over the internet but was very surprised to see that most people liked it. I don't expect this movie to be significantly better for me but I am interested how it turns out and how people react to it.

Last edited:
So how does it compare to Infinity War?
I’ve sat on it for a few hours now.....not as good I don’t think..not a bad movie but not as good one either.

They seemed to of really dumbed down the logic to it .....feels like a different movie to part one.

Part one was cleverly executed and paced well and you got a really good feel for all the characters...this one is a clusterfuck at times..the final battle has no real structure or feel to it apart from the finale which is spoiled by another bolt on I mentioned before.

Other parts of this movie feel really drawn and parts bolted on to appease certain demographics And quite a few plot holes along the way

3 hours was definitely too long...they could of cut so much from this.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I’ve sat on it for a few hours now.....not as good I don’t think..not a bad movie but not as good one either.

They seemed to of really dumbed down the logic to it .....feels like a different movie to part one.

Part one was cleverly executed and paced well and you got a really good feel for all the characters...this one is a clusterfuck at times..the final battle has no real structure or feel to it apart from the finale which i mentioned before.

Other parts of this movie feel really drawn and parts bolted on to appease certain demographics And quite a few plot holes along the way

3 hours was definitely too long...they could of cut so much from this.

OK Duder, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll still go see it next week, but I'll temper my expectations regarding it.

fantomena

Disney forced captain marvel into the story and fucked up the Russo Brother's ultimate vision. From what I read, the original script that was filmed was really good until Disney showed up and said "yeah, rewrite the script and reshoot so that we add captain marvel to the movie."

Where did you read this?

It sounds bullshit because it is well known that Disney never fickles with Marvel Studios and Feige has the creative freedom to do what he wants since he only reports to Iger and not Perlmutter as he did pre-Civil War

Last edited:
Hey guys, I don't mind spoilers, can someone tell me
Does either Cap or Tony die? I hope not.
Captain
he goes back in time to return the infinity stones but stays which creates a paradox in the plot...he shows up at the end as an old man and gives the shield to the hawk guy

tony dies when he puts on the infinity gauntlet to click away thanos and his army (it’s gamma radiation)....this part was done well but the scene just before it with the slo motion female squad run and captain marvel was extremely forced and not executed well as the battle was just a massive clusterfuck by then

Black widow
hey guys me and Hawkeye are going to get the soul stone from that ghost planet with redskull ..you forgot to mention one of us has to die to get it at that point in time....why not pick a better time ..and send fucking Thor to chop off his arm before he gets all 5 ...nope me and Hawkeye are gonna fight it out and I die by letting go of Hawkeyes hand

Last edited:
Thanks captainraincoat captainraincoat . It looks like
I'm done with the MCU after this. Tony and Cap are the cornerstones of it to me. Someone else leading the Avengers sounds meh. No one can fill their shoes, certainly not Hawkeye or Marvel. Maybe Phase 4 and the MCU at large will go out with a whimper, not a bang. Oh well.

Do the fallen avengers get to fight once they come back? Is there a scene where all characters are shown together?

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Thanks for the spoiler bits, everyone. I was wondering what would happen with some characters. Looks like I'll be taking the wife to see it this weekend.

Verdanth

Do I need to watch captain marvel before this?

I'll be honest, I don't intend to give any money to that movie, so I've been waiting for a decent version on the webz.

But I really do want to go and watch Endgame.

pel1300

This movie is very Steve and Tony centric...maybe even more Steve. He kicks major ass like never before.

But there are a few pretty awful moments. It felt like this movie had a lot more Disney in it than Infinity War.

This movie made its message loud and clear: the future of this franchise is not for me. This is the last film we get to see white men shine. It was a weird mix of Cap and Tony being awesome......but also at the same time catering to the SJW crowd with other characters.

Odinnii

I enjoyed it. Not as much as Infinity Wars but still thought it was a good ending to the original Avengers. The death that surprised me the most was
Black Widow, wasnt she supposed to get her own movie?

Also what happened to
Gamora? Did she get snapped with the rest of Thanos's army or did she survive?

Paracelsus

Call it an asspull or whatever, but they claim Captain America's not a paradox, because

Steve is the man Peggy married all along, she lied to him because he was still needed as Cap, but this time he gets a letter from Peggy delivered by Fury where she tells him she's gonna wait for him

I enjoyed it. Not as much as Infinity Wars but still thought it was a good ending to the original Avengers. The death that surprised me the most was
Black Widow, wasnt she supposed to get her own movie?

Also what happened to
Gamora? Did she get snapped with the rest of Thanos's army or did she survive?

Present Gamora is completely dead, but due to time shenanigans there's a 2014 GOTG Gamora, which has no recollection of Quill or anything that happened obviously, so she just bails out the battle and leaves. The new GOTG include Fat Hobo Thor and they're gonna go look for her

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Endgame wasn't as great as Infinity War. I don't like how the movie..

...had a bunch of women assembled together like its trying too hard to say "Look guys women heroine!!" . Cringy and so out of place in a huge battle. Captain Marvel was pointless and so unlikeable not even the Russo Brothers can make her interesting.

Did like Captain America ending where he finally found his way home to the past and live a full life.

McCheese

Just came back from seeing this. Not going to spoil anything, but what a very strange and rather odd film.

I loved Infinity war and was hoping for more of the same in terms of tone, heck I was hoping for a darker more desperate film with higher stakes. But this is a comedy, it has very little action apart from one good set-piece towards the end, and plays almost like a satire of the Marvel movie franchise up until this point.

Just came back from seeing this. Not going to spoil anything, but what a very strange and rather odd film.

I loved Infinity war and was hoping for more of the same in terms of tone, heck I was hoping for a darker more desperate film with higher stakes. But this is a comedy, it has very little action apart from one good set-piece towards the end, and plays almost like a satire of the Marvel movie franchise up until this point.
It’s a very different movie and in it journey for fun they took away the clever execution and dumbed down everything.....the main plot line appears to of been butchered and if I’m being honest the first movie did a much better job of fleshing out the individual infinity stone gathering .....this movie leaves the detail out and goes for the gags.

What would of been a better ending
if they didn’t kill thanos in the first part of the movie..he could of helped his alternate self and maybe could of redeemed himself as the first movie did an excellent job of fleshing out his motives....he just doesn’t have the weight in this movie.

Also If they didn’t actually snap everyone back for the last battle it would not of been a massive clusterfuck and would of added so much more to the ending if tony sacrificed himself to bring everyone back

So many missed opportunities

JimiNutz

Banned
I loved Infinity War but this felt really slow and quite boring for large parts of the movie. The ending was ok I guess but considering how much I liked Infinity War I'm sad to say that this was a letdown.

It did seem a little forced with;

the russo cameo being a gay dude
the all female superhero scene near the end
captain giving the shield to falcon instead of bucky (who was his equal in strength/fighting skill/etc.)
thor making diversity valkyrie king of the asgardians

nush

It's a victory lap of the MCU. Not the Infinity War sequel we should have got. At points it feel like a SNL skit with guest stars playing themselves.

TimFL

Is this place a parody mirror world of that other forums? The things you guys get worked up about are beyond petty lmao.

She could‘ve been easily replaced. But that was to be expected, considering she‘s too OP.
So how does it compare to Infinity War?
I prefer this to Endgame, but I‘m a huge MCU fan and also not bothered by female characters taking the spotlight 🤷. I actually prefer it when they show off a variety of groupings / constellations because it only helps build out the world and lore.
Hey guys, I don't mind spoilers, can someone tell me
Does either Cap or Tony die? I hope not.
Soft Spoiler:
Tony dies
Hard Spoiler:
Tony dies snapping Thanos + army away, Cap gets written out by staying in the past at the end to be with Peggy and then showing up as old man.
Thanks captainraincoat captainraincoat . It looks like
I'm done with the MCU after this. Tony and Cap are the cornerstones of it to me. Someone else leading the Avengers sounds meh. No one can fill their shoes, certainly not Hawkeye or Marvel. Maybe Phase 4 and the MCU at large will go out with a whimper, not a bang. Oh well.

Do the fallen avengers get to fight once they come back? Is there a scene where all characters are shown together?
Last question spoiler:
The whole snapped crew shows up and we get a gigantic set piece where they fight Thanos and his army together. Lasts maybe 10-15 minutes, comparable to something like Helms Deep from LOTR TT imho
That's why they are not getting my money.
I‘m sure they‘ll do more than fine without your support.

Best MCU movie, full of fan service, satisfying „goodbye“ to the fans ending the MCU as we know it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just woke up again after my midnight screening and I still can't help but be disappointed. I don't know what went wrong here. Infinity War was such a good Marvel movie and set them up for what was hopefully going to be a truly epic send off and while the movie does stuff in a lot of fan service and has some cool moments and funny one liners, overall this feels like such a huge anticlimax.

The final battle is fine and IM and Cap gett a good send off but the rest of the movie up until that point just felt like it lacked any punch or real drama. Unlike Infinity War the pacing of this movie was poor, the three-hour runtime certainly didn't zip by and all four of the group that I saw it with agreed that the movie dragged and was dull for large periods.

Such a shame because Infinity War was the complete opposite for me, that kept me entertained throughout and felt like a perfectly paced movie. Endgame has such a different pacing and overall feel from Infinity War that it doesn't really feel like it's sequel. I saw Infinity War three times at the cinema but once def felt like more than enough for Endgame and I currently have no desire to see it again.

protonion

First part almost put me to sleep. Middle was good. Ending meh.

I didn't see Captain Marvel but those 5 minutes she appeared in the movie made me hate her. What a shitty character.

So they brought several billions people back in a destroyed world. How will that work? Most will starve to death.

kiiltz

Just saw it.

The third act is exhilarating but everything is a snoozefest and feels disjointed, as if they hastily put scenes together without thinking of how to transition or connect them. Some parts definitely felt forced and it does feel they've wrapped things up with first generation.

Also they called it a heist but it's more like Fetch Quest: the Movie.

McCheese

It did seem a little forced with;

the russo cameo being a gay dude
the all female superhero scene near the end
captain giving the shield to falcon instead of bucky (who was his equal in strength/fighting skill/etc.)
thor making diversity valkyrie king of the asgardians

This is one of those awkward situations. Marvel has always promoted inclusivity and so I give my support to women, gay, black heroes. scarlet witch 😍

But my god they are really hamfisting it in at times. It feels like someone is taking the Russo's script and crayoning these things over it.

"Let's have a montage of all the women followed by one kicking a guy in the nuts!"

It's weird as they can do it right, black panther is an awesome character that fits into the universe. Captain Marvel is not.

Thanos also snapped all the sons from the MCU by the look of it. I've prepared myself for the only new white males to be villains in phase 4.

Last edited:

K1Expwy

I rolled my eyes at the obligatory "future is female" shot, and knee to the nuts
IW+EG was enough spectacle to give my senses a break from AAA Hollywood blockbusters, for at least the next few years.

JimiNutz

Banned
I rolled my eyes at the obligatory "future is female" shot, and knee to the nuts
IW+EG was enough spectacle to give my senses a break from AAA Hollywood blockbusters, for at least the next few years.

Yeah I think the same way but then I saw the new trailer for Godzilla 2 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Tesseract

Banned
this was such a colossal bummer man, what on earth were they thinking

i knows it's ultimately for children but i expected something a little darker than we got, seeing how it's the end game and all

oh well gg marvel, thank you fox for giving me logan

i have now come to resent my title, my wrath will run long into the abyss

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
IW is the better superhero film. But i enjoyed EG for what it is, a victory lap for 10 good years of MCU, an ultimate comic buff send-off.

I did not like how the 2-parter went from a Thanos movie to chimp thanos. I did not like Disney managed to make feminism even more forced than IW. Was CM this boring and OP in her own movie?

It was a nice wrap up for MCU, imo this is really the end for following MCU. The next phases look boring with too much injected socio politics. Maybe Gotg3 looks more old school fun.

Top Bottom