• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Infinity War: Adding Defenders Into Film Is "Complicated"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Avengers-Infinity-War-Logo-Official.jpg

SUPER: The Marvel Cinematic Universe that we see in theaters today is much bigger than the one we first saw with The Avengers. There are many more heroes and there are new pieces being added with the ABC TV series and the Netflix series. How do you organize it? Is there a chance we see Jessica Jones battling Thanos (the villain) in Infinity War?

Anthony Russo: It's complicated. When we start to serialize the telling of stories it's difficult. You have to have a lot of control and focus on the course of history. The films are controlled by a group led by Kevin Feige, so they function as a unit. Other products, even if they are from Marvel, are controlled by others. Then there is the possibility of a crossover, but it's more complicated. It is a smaller scale version of the problem that exists when remembering that Fox holds the rights to some of Marvel's most popular characters, as does Sony and others. As storytellers, we only have control over what happens in Marvel movies, but everything is possible, Spider-Man (whose rights were held by Sony) became possible!

Source: Super Interessante and Comicbookmovie.com
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=127691

So not impossible, but complicated. Hmm...

Killgrave me if old.

Platy

MCU Defenders would vaporize just by looking at Thanos.

BUT that doesn't mean they can't appear helping minimize collateral damage, helping people on the background feel safe, battling some thanos minions while the big guys handles thanos and stuffs like that

Shaanyboi

Banned
Would it be so hard to just cut away to a shot of these guys on the ground, fighting off Thanos' minions, showing them saving some civilians, if only for acouple minutes? I don't think anyone expects them to be some major plot element as an impactful team for the overall conflict, but these guys are gonna do what they do - save whatever civilians they can.

I honestly doubt any of the TV characters will ever show up on film. Even with what I've seen of Agents of Shield, the show most tied into the movies, it definitely seems like the relationship is pretty one-directional. The TV show builds story arcs and episodes to tie into the movies, but it seems like as far as the filmic MCU is concerned, none of that shit is referenced even remotely. If you just watch the films, you'd still think Coulson is dead.

Viewt

Well, now's the time to figure that stuff out, as they start pre-production.

I don't need the Defenders in Avengers 3, but it'd be nice if there were bit roles for them to make this the line-wide gigantic crossover to end all crossovers Marvel probably wants this to be.

black070

I'll honestly be really disappointed if the Netflix characters don't cross over with the movies, it should have already begun with a Daredevil cameo in Civil War.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

BUT that doesn't mean they can't appear helping minimize collateral damage, helping people on the background feel safe, battling some thanos minions while the big guys handles thanos and stuffs like that

Most of the avengers would too.

Eidan

We can't even get the Netflix series to say the words "Iron Man" or "Captain America". No chance in hell do we ever see any kind of TV/film crossover.

Luigi87

I honestly doubt any of the TV characters will ever show up on film. Even with what I've seen of Agents of Shield, the show most tied into the movies, it definitely seems like the relationship is pretty one-directional. The TV show builds story arcs and episodes to tie into the movies, but it seems like as far as the filmic MCU is concerned, none of that shit is referenced even remotely. If you just watch the films, you'd still think Coulson is dead.

This is why I'm hoping things will change come Phase 3. Feige himself said it is inevitable that the movies will eventually reference the TV shows, so I hope this will be sooner rather than later.

Zaph

Good. Keep those two universes as separate as possible because otherwise continuity and the audience's understanding of what the 'world' knows (or is supposed to know) becomes impossible, and grounding the street-level characters becomes harder.

*Scarlet Witch causes the Hulk to go mad in Brazil, helps save a city in the sky and joins the Avengers*
Jessica Jones "Nobody will believe there is a man out there mind controlling people"

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
We can't even get the Netflix series to say the words "Iron Man" or "Captain America". No chance in hell do we ever see any kind of TV/film crossover.

That's a choice though. If they wanted to say they're names like Candyman, they can do it.

If they really wanted to do a full crossover, they'd do it... it's just a logistical nightmare and thinking of a logical way to bring them in.

black070

Aren't film appearances in Charlie Cox's contract ?

EDIT

It’d be great. I’ve read Civil War [comic] now, I’ve read The New Avengers [comic], I know he’s in there but I think I missed the boat on Civil War because they’re filming that. I don’t know, Marvel have not mentioned that to me at all. It’s in my contract that if they want me to do it, I’m there, and I would love that. That would be an extension of the dream, but I’m a pretty happy customer at this point, to get to do the series again. And I get to do The Defenders at some point.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/daredevil-charlie-cox-contracted-do-marvel-movies

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't expect the movies and TV shows to crossover in any significant way in the near future. Daredevil and Jessica Jones don't benefit at all from being in this supposedly larger universe. Maybe it's for the best since they have to nurture their own strengths, but if these were produced by another company with the rights, they'd probably have the same level of connection. Vague references and tiny easter eggs.

Mariolee

Good. Keep those two universes as separate as possible because otherwise continuity and the audience's understanding of what the 'world' knows (or is supposed to know) becomes impossible, and grounding the street-level characters becomes harder.

*Scarlet Witch causes the Hulk to go mad in Brazil, helps save a city in the sky and joins the Avengers*
Jessica Jones "Nobody will believe there is a man out there mind controlling people"

They acknowledge this in the show though. Something along the lines of, "Aliens attacked New York and you're having trouble believing mind-controllers are real?"

Perlmutter being an ass?

I thought Perlmutter was gone? I think this is merely a case of logistics.

Denzar

Ther is no way, NO WAY, they'll be able to get EVERYBODY in those movies. Defenders or Avengers. No way.

GeeTeeCee

I'd love it, but I'm not hopeful. It's a little jarring that Avengers Tower isn't visible on the NYC skyline in either of the two Netflix series so far.

Fury451

Banned
Luke Cage has been such a constant in the Avengers for like 14 years or something. It'd be a real shame if he never crossed over in some capacity.

Agreed, especially since they nailed the casting with him IMO. But I get it, they're two different worlds between Netflix and film, with entirely different tones, even though they're all part of the MCU.

Ther is no way, NO WAY, they'll be able to get EVERYBODY in those movies. Defenders or Avengers. No way.

Not without it turning into a giant cluster. They definitely have to have the Guardians though. It would be an utter waste if they didn't team up, plus it makes sense from the story perspective at this point.

Parallax

But then again we would probably have random Cap using Mjolnir or something overpower like that =P

Would be awesome to see Daredevil help deflect a projectile that would kill Hawkeye

The defenders are beyond peak human as well to various degrees. That gives them better chances than hawkeye and widow. Especially if matt is less prone to getting massively fucked up in the future

Anthony Russo: It's complicated. When we start to serialize the telling of stories it's difficult. You have to have a lot of control and focus on the course of history. The films are controlled by a group led by Kevin Feige, so they function as a unit. Other products, even if they are from Marvel, are controlled by others. Then there is the possibility of a crossover, but it's more complicated. It is a smaller scale version of the problem that exists when remembering that Fox holds the rights to some of Marvel's most popular characters, as does Sony and others. As storytellers, we only have control over what happens in Marvel movies, but everything is possible, Spider-Man (whose rights were held by Sony) became possible!

Let's read between the lines here.

Feige's got a story locked down
That story doesn't really include the Defenders right now.
The Defenders is part of the TV division
The TV division isn't really managed like the Film Division
I'm comparing how far apart the two are by using Fox's X-men and Sony's Spidey, even.
We only have control over what the film division says is good.

Basically: Feige isn't accounting for the Defenders, so neither are the filmmakers, and the possibility of Feige and Perlmutter coming together to hammer out a way to get the two divisions to merge isn't particularly high.

I imagine it would be complicated. I still hope they find a way to do it. Would be cool to see literally everything come together.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Of course they will.

I expect a scene in (probably) the second Infinity War film that has fucking everybody in it. The Avengers, the Defenders, the Agents of Shield, everyone. Can't be that hard to get a bunch of people in for a ten second cameo in front of a green screen as they chew through whatever army of mooks Thanos shows up with.

That's the money shot of this whole endeavor. Of course it's happening.

Anth0ny

they're making two Avengers 3s for a reason. can't fit all that greatness into one film.

I fully expect Daredevil to get in some shit with Spider-Man.

they'll also work out a deal with Fox to get F4 and Wolverine in there. believe.

The Kree

Banned
That's a choice though. If they wanted to say they're names like Candyman, they can do it.

If they really wanted to do a full crossover, they'd do it... it's just a logistical nightmare and thinking of a logical way to bring them in.

They can do it like the beginning of Hickman's Avengers run. Establish that there is a serious challenge before them and have a montage of Tony and Steve (or whoever is leading) going around recruiting people.

They need an Avengers Machine.

Ike Perlmutter: Man, I don't know, Kevin. That sounds like a huge endeavor, and you know actors have all these scheduling conflicts and whatnot...

Kevin Feige: We'll pay for the actors

Ike Perlmutter: Sold.

Ithil

The only characters from the whole TV area of Marvel (not counting Peggy Carter obviously) that really have a chance of a film appearance are Coulson (returning) and Quake (for Inhumans, if it doesn't exclusively take place in Attilan).

The Netflix shows are remotely removed even from the ABC TV shows, let alone the films. At best I could see some kind of mass crowd cameo somewhere in Infinity War, since that's always been a fun thing to do for one splash page for these big crossovers in comics.

obin_gam

The Avengers should assemble to take down the Netflix villains.
Killgrave & Kingpin = much scarier than that purple dude sitting in a chair all the time.

I keep thinking how in the Infinity Gauntlet comic, they cut back to Earth showing Widow and a couple other heroes trying to save civilians from the devastating effects of Thanos using the gems. I really think it wouldn't be too hard. Throw it in there in such a way that doesn't completely alienate Non-TV viewers. Like how Peggy and Howard appear in Ant-man. They appear in a way fans keeping up would go "Oh hey it's them!" but someone who doesn't really keep up with the MCU just goes "Oh they're just colleagues I guess"

Booooo. I wanna see Jessica and Rocket Raccoon get shitfaced.

I'm now sad this will likely never ever happen :(

jax

Banned
I can't see why each couldn't get a small cameo or something, helping out people on a street level. Every time Captain America stopped his fight with Ultron to help a kitten out of a tree it really broke the action sequences for me. Having Daredevil and Luke Cage for that would be awesome. And in a 2 part movie there better be some damn cameos.

Seems kind of silly to not have the movie and film divisions working closely together.

Infinity War 2 really needs to have a scene where The Defenders, The Guardians, and Coulson's SHIELD team arrive to support the Avengers.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It wouldn't be too believable to see someone that's street level facing off against Thanos. He'd snap Daredevil's neck like it ain't no thang.

Parallax

The Avengers should assemble to take down the Netflix villains.
Killgrave & Kingpin = much scarier than that purple dude sitting in a chair all the time.

You should check up what the mad titan is capable of. I know we arent gonna get any backstory, but if hes but a fraction of as imposing as his comic counterpart, hes gonna be a beast

Stark is a goddamn lightweight compared to those two

It'd be the best drinking competition in history

Time to sub in the mead drinking champion. Then have them walk around in a semi drunken state in new york

stuminus3

The tone of the Netflix shows is so different from the MCU movies that I don't even know if this is something I'd even want to see in the first place.

NotLiquid

Booooo. I wanna see Jessica and Rocket Raccoon get shitfaced.

It's stuff like this that makes me think the Defenders at best would just be cameos.

It's already going to be crazily stuffed and most of The Avengers at this point are on different levels entirely.

Also this

The tone of the Netflix shows is so different from the MCU movies that I don't even know if this is something I'd even want to see in the first place.

Fury451

Banned
The defenders are beyond peak human as well to various degrees. That gives them better chances than hawkeye and widow. Especially if matt is less prone to getting massively fucked up in the future

Getting the crap kicked out of him is practically Matt's defining character trait though

Sephzilla

Stark is a goddamn lightweight compared to those two

It'd be the best drinking competition in history

Meanwhile Hulk and Drax would be having a conversation in the background because Hulk is the only person who can speak so basically and literally that Drax will fully understand the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom