• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Infinity War: Adding Defenders Into Film Is "Complicated"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

I really don't want those Netflix series mixing with the movies. I know they're already in the same universe and all, but the Netflix-characters would feel way out of place in the kid-friendly Marvel movie environment.

Ithil

You know those montages they do where it shows heroes around the world helping with some big crisis? The 90s X-Men show did it once where it showed dozens of heroes worldwide (including a cameo from Spider-Man) helping in their respective cities. They're only on screen for a couple of seconds each, but you can do that in Infinity War Part 2 without running into the problem of having to introduce them all for the people who don't watch the shows, just the movies.
I mean, why not, it's supposed to be your big climax.

I'm expecting that what we'll end up getting is some sort of Infinity War: Part 1.5 that is all the Netflix characters, taking place on Netflix, doing something that's sort of related to the rest of the universe, but is mostly self contained, and it'll basically be represented as a Defenders Season 2.

Slayven

Never got the overwhelming need for people to see every facet of the universe at every second of screen time.

Ithil

Never got the overwhelming need for people to see every facet of the universe at every seconday of screen time.

Because that's what people are saying. "Everyone must be on screen always at the same time nonstop in everything forever".

jmood88

Never got the overwhelming need for people to see every facet of the universe at every second of screen time.
Me neither. I can understand both the in-universe reasons and practical reasons for why every character wouldn't show up. The one thing I do hate, though, are all the "big guy" or "guy with magical hammer" references on the shows. I don't know why they don't just name them.

Of course they will.

I expect a scene in (probably) the second Infinity War film that has fucking everybody in it. The Avengers, the Defenders, the Agents of Shield, everyone. Can't be that hard to get a bunch of people in for a ten second cameo in front of a green screen as they chew through whatever army of mooks Thanos shows up with.

That's the money shot of this whole endeavor. Of course it's happening.

Of course, though no way are you getting AoS. Maybe Coulson. Maybe maybe Daisy. No one else.

inky

The tone of the Netflix shows is so different from the MCU movies that I don't even know if this is something I'd even want to see in the first place.

Absolutely. It's so awkward already when they mention stuff from the movies in the Netflix shows, even if it's just a sentence. AoS is different, but I prefer them doing their own thing too. Having Sif as a cameo or stuff like that is enough for me.

I prefer them separate.

Ithil

technically he is but his will power alone would snuff the purple man

Have you seen read the threads?

The ones where they say "I'd like if the TV characters got a brief cameo in the climactic film of the MCU"? That's not exactly "everyone has to be on screen always at the same time forever in every single movie".

Slayven

Me neither. I can understand both the in-universe reasons and practical reasons for why every character wouldn't show up. The one thing I do hate, though, are all the "big guy" or "guy with magical hammer" references on the shows. I don't know why they don't just name them.
At least it isn't as bad as the wink wink nod nod crap Gotham does

bengraven

Plus people know the characters from the films and will be like "who the hell is Jessica Jones? I don't get Netflix".

jmood88

The tone of the Netflix shows is so different from the MCU movies that I don't even know if this is something I'd even want to see in the first place.
This will never make sense to me. There's nothing in the Netflix shows or the movies that suggests they are completely different universes or incompatible with one another.

Slayven

Let marvel cook they never fail.

Their biggest hurdle in the foreseeable future is getting people to care about Carol Danvers, that is a herculean task, i am sure Feign is losing sleep over

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Of course they will.

I expect a scene in (probably) the second Infinity War film that has fucking everybody in it. The Avengers, the Defenders, the Agents of Shield, everyone. Can't be that hard to get a bunch of people in for a ten second cameo in front of a green screen as they chew through whatever army of mooks Thanos shows up with.

That's the money shot of this whole endeavor. Of course it's happening.

I've had this scene in my head for years now, but I can't see it happening on screen. Not even taking into consideration as to narratively why they'd all be in the same place at the same time, logistically it sounds like a nightmare. Sure there's green screen, but eh.

I'd scream if it happened though.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Christ, it isn't fucking difficult Marvel.

Just do what you do everytime you have a shitty event comic (save for Secret Wars, that was boss.) The Avengers film focuses on the main threat, the other properties kinda tie-in in increasingly vague ways. Like fuck... have Thanos's little sewing circle of assassins target Shield and The Defenders.

Oh, and have Agent Carter meet Thanos in the 1940s and he's all 'LOL, WOMAN' and she stabs him in the eyes with her heel and he fucks off back to Legoland in his rocket ship like the chicken-leg bitch he is.

jmood88

Just do what you do everytime you have a shitty event comic (save for Secret Wars, that was boss.) The Avengers film focuses on the main threat, the other properties kinda tie-in in increasingly vague ways. Like fuck... have Thanos's little sewing circle of assassins target Shield and The Defenders.

Oh, and have Agent Carter meet Thanos in the 1940s and he's all 'LOL, WOMAN' and she stabs him in the eyes with her heel and he fucks off back to Legoland in his rocket ship like the chicken-leg bitch he is.
A comic isn't anywhere close to the same as coordinating two different branches of a corporation with different contracts and schedules.

Arnie7

Banned
Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Let marvel cook they never fail.

Their biggest hurdle in the foreseeable future is getting people to care about Carol Danvers, that is a herculean task, i am sure Feign is losing sleep over

It would be one hell of a swerve if it somehow manages to be about phyla rather than carol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Plus people know the characters from the films and will be like "who the hell is Jessica Jones? I don't get Netflix".

I don't think it will go that far. I think at some point there will be a call for help and Coulson will pull a Gandalf the White and show up with "reinforcements", and everybody will just be there. They won't even bother introducing the vast majority of the characters. Maybe there will be a few sight gags in the background during the "yay we beat thanos" after party with characters hanging out, but I wouldn't expect them to spend a lot of time on anyone from the TV side.

Just do what you do everytime you have a shitty event comic (save for Secret Wars, that was boss.) The Avengers film focuses on the main threat, the other properties kinda tie-in in increasingly vague ways.

Making movies is exponentially harder than making comics. You can't just have an editor drop a couple emails, swap in a fast artist, and crank out 15 scripts in the course of a month and hope the two-month pushback will be enough time. That doesn't work in TV and Film production.

It's crazy enough that Marvel Studios has managed to keep things as tightly organized with the storylines as they have. Besides which, having the Studios go out of their way to imitate publishing's strategies (especially during events) isn't a foolproof plan for success, either.

Kevinroc

This will never make sense to me. There's nothing in the Netflix shows or the movies that suggests they are completely different universes or incompatible with one another.

People are still getting used to the craziness they see in the films all being in the same universe. They aren't ready for the craziness of the comics.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Fucking
Yes

The Kree

Banned

The movies don't need to be two and a half hours of action. They can have some quiet scenes with exposition and character development, too.

Dalek

I don't believe they've even officially said the Guardians will be in Infinity War-even though with Nebula and Gamora's relationship to him it seems likely.

While the kid in me would love to see one giant shot of all the heroes together-I recognize it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense for Matt Murdock and Jessica Jones to suddenly drop what they're doing and head over to Avengers Tower to help out. Maybe just include a small montage of what the other heroes on Earth are doing while the main team is taking on Thanos or whatever.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've had this scene in my head for years now, but I can't see it happening on screen. Not even taking into consideration as to narratively why they'd all be in the same place at the same time, logistically it sounds like a nightmare. Sure there's green screen, but eh.

Simple. The Avengers are having trouble even getting to Thanos, then Coulson rolls by in his bigass plane and dudes just start dropping out of the back door onto motherfuckers heads. Cue 120 seconds of Marvel Super Heroes ® kicking ass in a gigantic battle, they punch a hole through the enemy lines and the Avengers (whatever that lineup happens to be) get where they're going. Continue with the movie.

I don't expect The Defenders to show up - their team-up TV show probably won't be ready until 2017, right? I guess they could fit into IW pt 2, but I don't really see it happening.

Also, with the Avengers and the Guardians on board to fight Thanos, they're probably going to have 15-20 heroes. Not sure there's going to be room for the Defenders as well.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Yeah, everyone wants that huge, mega-awesome spread page on screen, but I don't see it happening.
It's already looking pretty massive without including the Defenders and Secret Warriors. If you just use characters from the movies...

Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Warriors Three, Sif, Iron Legion, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Spidey, Ant-Man, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Inhumans maybe?

TVexperto

I honestly doubt any of the TV characters will ever show up on film. Even with what I've seen of Agents of Shield, the show most tied into the movies, it definitely seems like the relationship is pretty one-directional. The TV show builds story arcs and episodes to tie into the movies, but it seems like as far as the filmic MCU is concerned, none of that shit is referenced even remotely. If you just watch the films, you'd still think Coulson is dead.

Was he even mentioned in the second avengers movie? I dont remember..

Dalek

Yeah, everyone wants that huge, mega-awesome spread page on screen, but I don't see it happening.
It's already looking pretty massive without including the Defenders and Secret Warriors. If you just use characters from the movies...

Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Warriors Three, Sif, Iron Legion, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Spidey, Ant-Man, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Inhumans maybe?

Damn I wasn't even thinking about them. It would be awesome if during the final fight, Thor arrives with the calvary, Heimdal opens the Bifrost and all the armies of the 10 realms pour out to fight Thanos.

Feige more or less confirmed a couple months back that the films would start referencing the TV series eventually.

But all I expect is just that - references. If a character or plot point originating on a TV series ever gets more than a very brief cameo or cursory reference in a future Marvel Studios film, I'll be very surprised.

A comic isn't anywhere close to the same as coordinating two different branches of a corporation with different contracts and schedules.

This is true, too. The production schedules (as Feige himself said), audience sizes, and budgets are pretty vastly different between the two mediums, even on top of the different Marvel divisions involved.

This too.

jackdoe

I think it became obvious that the TV and film stuff would never cross over for the showrunners of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. That's why they ramped up the violence to R-rated levels, though they did keep the language and sexual content at hard PG-13 levels.

I don't think anyone is saying that it's unworkable if Marvel Studios really wanted to make it happen, but if you don't think the tone of DD and JJ is vastly different from any of the films and ABC shows, I don't think we've been watching the same series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom