• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Infinity War: Adding Defenders Into Film Is "Complicated"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
I honestly don't get the appeal of Kamala, I feel like she'd thrive far more in her own animated series than a film.

Shes fun and brings a nice sense of wonder and enjoyment to the Marvel Universe.Plus her costume is kickin' and she does all the right shipping.

TheFlow

Banned
I would must rather have the avengers in space fighting Thanos while the defenders protect and watch over NY like the comics.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I feel like the Netflix shows are telegraphing a solid desire to have the two integrate somewhere. Daredevil had a few references to the Battle of New York, but they were very low-key and done in passing. Jessica Jones had an episode where (episode... 4 or 5 spoiler)
someone who hired her turned out to be targeting her for a superhuman hatecrime in response to the Battle of New York
. The MCU has clearly become something more active than a background prop in the time between the two series. I think when they initially made Daredevil they were looking to keep the two rather neatly separated, but the strong response to DD gave them second thoughts.

But putting them in the films doesn't need to be outright weaving the Defenders into a blockbuster CGI fight. Just have a scene where, say, an enemy thug saunters into Luke Cage's bar looking to shake him down for intel on an Avenger. Luke replies, "I don't have anything to do with those guys." Thug throws a punch, Luke doesn't move an inch. He smirks. Quick camera cut to street, thug flies backwards out of the bar doors.

Cameo done.

Not everything needs to be connected. The tone is so different between the two shows that I actually think it's really jarring and hard to believe that during the events of Jessica Jones Tony Stark is joking about saving everybody in the country of Sokovia. Honestly I prefer my Avengers potatoes separate from my Defenders peas.

Dai101

Banned
Not everything needs to be connected. The tone is so different between the two shows that I actually think it's really jarring and hard to believe that during the events of Jessica Jones Tony Stark is joking about saving everybody in the country of Sokovia. Honestly I prefer my Avengers potatoes separate from my Defenders peas.

So, just like life?

You're here while some kid in africa is starving to death while in other country someone is fucking someone elses wife.

TimFL

It's not hard at all. The Infinity War movies should showcase a global fight everywhere on earth (I totally expected AoU to have several cities under siege with Ultron bots, but we got that secluded city no one ever heard of...).
All they have to do is cut to a trashed street where Daredevil fights against a few Thanos minions (maybe have Punisher show up too etc) and they included them somehow.

If I get another "oh hey, NYC is the only city in the world thats why the big bad focuses his attack on said city only" movie I'll rage quit the cinema. If I were Thanos and had a huge cosmic army I'd wreak havoc on atleast a continent (or heck atleast the east coast). Make it near impossible for the poster boys to stop the invasion, explain the minions being held off on the other side of the world/continent as "hey we got a few unknown heroes over there that got out on the street and helped stop/slow down the Thanos crew" --> Daredevil says "you're welcome".

I would rather they focus on making good movies than shoehorning literally everyone in. A lot of people seem to be saying "it's easy, you just throw in a bunch of contextless insert shots of Daredevil punching badguys!" But that's bad storytelling. You can't just throw in a character from a totally different medium with no explanation whatsoever. Pasting an offhand, winky, one-line explanation in the script isn't much better either. There has to be some actual dramatic reason for these characters to be there. More is not better.

The more I think about it, I can see the Defenders season 2 being a big tie-in to Infinity Wars, where it's just them (and hopefully a few others) taking care of things at home while everyone gets their ass-kicked in space.

I would be much more on board with this. Makes the Agents of Shield people make a lot more sense too.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
...why are they being called the defenders?
The Avengers was taken? :p

If I get another "oh hey, NYC is the only city in the world thats why the big bad focuses his attack on said city only" movie I'll rage quit the cinema.

What? Shit happens all over the place in the MCU. You basically want they to squash fires all over the place... but that's basically all their individual movies collectively.

It's not hard at all. The Infinity War movies should showcase a global fight everywhere on earth (I totally expected AoU to have several cities under siege with Ultron bots, but we got that secluded city no one ever heard of...).
All they have to do is cut to a trashed street where Daredevil fights against a few Thanos minions (maybe have Punisher show up too etc) and they included them somehow.

Let me hear the Punisher say, "Now what should I do with all these bullets..."

Xis

I wouldn't mind some cameos, but probably no more than that. The Netflix shows are much heavier / darker than the films so far. I'm not even sure they are going after the same demographics.

I wouldn't mind some cameos, but probably no more than that. The Netflix shows are much heavier / darker than the films so far. I'm not even sure they are going after the same demographics.

I would assume that they are not at this point. Marvel movies have to hit a lot of target demos. The Netflix shows can be...darker.

We can't even get the Netflix series to say the words "Iron Man" or "Captain America". No chance in hell do we ever see any kind of TV/film crossover.

Is there a rights reason for this? I always assumed they say stuff like "the green guy" to avoid the terms feeling shoe horned in . Even though it does generally come off as a camera nod like "hey look we're in a shared universe!"

I'm assuming it would cost quite a bit of money to get these characters to appear in the movie, especially if it's not already stipulated in their contracts. And if it's nothing more than a glorified cameo, I don't see the point. It's not like having Jessica Jones in Avengers 3 is suddenly going to help the movie gross more money.

jmood88

I don't think anyone is saying that it's unworkable if Marvel Studios really wanted to make it happen, but if you don't think the tone of DD and JJ is vastly different from any of the films and ABC shows, I don't think we've been watching the same series.
I didn't say that the tone of all the shows were the same, I said that there's nothing making them incompatible with each other.

I didn't say that the tone of all the shows were the same, I said that there's nothing making them incompatible with each other.

Not incompatible, but I definitely think it would be more of a challenge making any significant, direct narrative crossover work than it would be for, say, the Agents of SHIELD characters (who I don't expect to see in a film anytime soon, either).

I would rather they focus on making good movies than shoehorning literally everyone in. A lot of people seem to be saying "it's easy, you just throw in a bunch of contextless insert shots of Daredevil punching badguys!" But that's bad storytelling. You can't just throw in a character from a totally different medium with no explanation whatsoever. Pasting an offhand, winky, one-line explanation in the script isn't much better either. There has to be some actual dramatic reason for these characters to be there. More is not better.

I would be much more on board with this. Makes the Agents of Shield people make a lot more sense too.

Agreed, what they should do is address it in later seasons of the shows themselves. Maybe have a flashback scene of Daredevil fighting a minion when shits going down.
And you could have a simple line of dialogue in the movies prior alluding to how the Defenders are helping secure the city. Maybe they are seen in some news footage.

So... Who else thinks this complication is Isaac Perlmutter being an ass hat following the loss of control over the movies?

i'd chalk it up to A) not wanting to push children towards watching some PG13/R-rish content by advertising the defenders and B) not wanting those two films to feel bloated with heroes.

Ultron was already kinda feeling like there were too many heroes, adding a whole new team on top of whatever other crazy shit they have planned for the Infinity War movies seems like a bit too much.

Penguin

Not incompatible, but I definitely think it would be more of a challenge making any significant, direct narrative crossover work than it would be for, say, the Agents of SHIELD characters (who I don't expect to see in a film anytime soon, either).

Well their cameos are clearly being saved for the inhumans movie...

Is there a rights reason for this? I always assumed they say stuff like "the green guy" to avoid the terms feeling shoe horned in . Even though it does generally come off as a camera nod like "hey look we're in a shared universe!"

Saying stuff like "Green guy" EASILY sounds more shoe horned in and gringey than if she just casually aid "The Hulk"

i'd chalk it up to A) not wanting to push children towards watching some PG13/R-rish content by advertising the defenders and B) not wanting those two films to feel bloated with heroes.

Ultron was already kinda feeling like there were too many heroes, adding a whole new team on top of whatever other crazy shit they have planned for the Infinity War movies seems like a bit too much.
If they don't go all out with the cameos in the Infinity War, then they're doing it wrong... There's no need for them to be Central characters or anything, just other people who are also taking part considering that it's an event that would affect them as well.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Let the Avengers take care of Thanos, make the Defenders take care of whatever fallout Thanos causes on Earth. Make it part of the movie; up in Avengers-tower, they assemble the Defenders, and make a plan for them to defend Earth from whatever Thanos is sending down, so the Avengers can concentrate on Thanos. Show what the Defenders are doing in a separate Netflix movie.

Tacitus_

I just want Coulson to drop in with reinforcements and after the fight be all like "So... what did I miss?" and drop that awkward smirk of his. And then /Cap say to Fury "After we're done here, we gotta talk"

I'd go all squeee and I'm not even a comics nerd.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
We can't even get the Netflix series to say the words "Iron Man" or "Captain America". No chance in hell do we ever see any kind of TV/film crossover.

I don't think Netflix series are forbidden to say these words, but more of not namedropping just for the sake of namedropping because it feels forced and artificial. It'll be better if its done in mere passing or doesn't feel out of place like Anton Vanko's cameo in Agent Carter series.

They pretty much are forced to at this point, especially in regards to Agents of SHIELD since
there's a worldwide contagion of part alien supers now running around. The President seen in IM3 even put out a speech on the matter.

I think it would be naive at this point to assume that any such thing "has to" happen, regardless of how much sense it would make within the universe.

JSevere

If Infinity War is supposed to be the culmination of everything Marvel has done with the MCU so far, then they should absolutely try to get everyone in, from the movies, TV shows, etc. whether they just get a small cameo or have a bigger role in the overall fight against Thanos. It'd be the perfect way to close off this era of the MCU and be suitably epic considering this is gonna be a five hour in total affair that touches every corner of its fictional universe.

Donos

Thanos needs some cannon fooder victims/"heroes" who die from him in Infinity 1. They need the viewer to know that he is one of the most badest/strongest mofos in the MCU and a real threat.

This part of the article stood out to me:

Avengers: Infinity War will feature:
Directors: Anthony & Joe Russo
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America
Chris Hemsworth as Thor Odinson
Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk
Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye
Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther
Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man
Paul Bettany as The Vision
Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
Don Cheadle as James Rhodes/War Machine
Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne/Wasp
Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon
Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star-Lord
Zoe Saldana as Gamora
Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
Vin Diesel as Groot
Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon
Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange
Unknown actress as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Tom Hiddleston as Loki Laufeyson
Josh Brolin as Thanos

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This part of the article stood out to me:

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Reminded me of when I went to see Age of Ultron. Kids were standing there awed by the sheer number of actors on the list, I smiled and told them Infinity War will have all those and more. Their eyes almost popped out :D

kurahador

Disappointing to hear this. I really hope they can somehow work their way into including the tv series stuff later on. Fucking politics ruining stuff as usual.

hamchan

I could see it being a bit awkward when 8 year old Timmy sees those cool Defenders in the Avengers 3 and starts wanting to watch Jessica Jones on Netflix.

RDreamer

I must be one of the only ones that gets so ridiculously turned off by the crossover bullshit comics and now comic movies seem to love. It's one of the biggest reasons I never got into comics, and it's a huuuuuge reason I haven't really seen much of the Marvel movies. It just ruins my immersion really quickly.

I've been loving Daredevil and now Jessica Jones, and I suppose I'll watch Defenders, but them all grouping up together really isn't on my list of things I'm looking forward to. I'd rather they be separate universes.

jmood88

I must be one of the only ones that gets so ridiculously turned off by the crossover bullshit comics and now comic movies seem to love. It's one of the biggest reasons I never got into comics, and it's a huuuuuge reason I haven't really seen much of the Marvel movies. It just ruins my immersion really quickly.

I've been loving Daredevil and now Jessica Jones, and I suppose I'll watch Defenders, but them all grouping up together really isn't on my list of things I'm looking forward to. I'd rather they be separate universes.
You're definitely not the only person in the world who doesn't like it but it doesn't make sense to me either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom