• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome SEGA Genesis Music

This is a good place to mention it. If you like the sound of the Yamaha YM2612 (the Mega Drive sound chip) it is worth checking out the PC-98 as the Yamaha YM2203 sounds very similar (I think its the model before) while the Yamaha YM2608 adds another 10 channels so in a way is a glimpse into a synth future that never happened...

Ryu Umemoto* in particular did some noted work...a good example is Teito from the visual novel game YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world.

Tree of Knowledge by yogurtbox notes that soundtrack as being inspiration.

*-On a side note Spinning "Guru Guru" Logic is Snapdots (aka reskinned Guru Logic Champ), right? Sounds like another reason for me to get it...

Further reading might be the Sharp X68000 with its YM2151+MSM6258 combo. But I guess its more PCM than FM Synth...

Huh. Thunder Force remixes. Didn't know they were hiding in a pinball game! (But then I only recently learned of the awesomeness that is Thunder Force soundtracks, sooo...) These actually sound better than the versions from Thunder Force III and II, respectively.

That's expertly curated and has some nice Western choices in. Do you have any arcade deep cuts from that era, even though it's a little off-topic?
Thanks! Mostly built up my knowledge from threads like these. I haven't played half of the games I've listened to soundtracks for :p

Not sure what you're asking, though. I'm nowhere near as familiar with arcade music as I should be...

This is sorta cheating, since it's an FM arrangement of a non-Genesis game, but it's still one of my favorite "Genesis" tunes ever.

Gecko Yamori, one of the composers on Streets of Rage Remake, took "Abandoned Memory (Dr. Wily Stage 1)" from Mega Man 10 and gave it an FM synth makeover in the style of the Thunder Force. The conversion couldn't have been more perfect:

Mega Man 10 - Dr. Wily Stage 1 (FM cover)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
^ He's done some other good conversions too.

Mega Man X3
Super Metroid

Conversions like this are hit or miss but usually interesting imo. I really like these two.

back in the early 90s, people were all lapping up the pseudo-symphonic molasses which was the SNES soundchip, while the mega drive's was seen as crass and positively archaic.

now, in 2013, SNES OSTs just sound like first gen midi synthesisers with no distinction or idiosyncratic worth, while mega drive OSTs are hard hitting industrial dickstompers with no modern equivalent.

mega drive won the war. you could put on the SoR2 soundtrack in a club today and it would still be at the peak of relevance.
I agree overall, although there will always be good examples for any piece of tech. Games like FF6 and DKC have soundtracks that really live up to the hype imo.

For Genesis, I present: Stereo Protect. What would you even change if you were to attempt to remake this track with more modern and versatile equipment?

Huh. Thunder Force remixes. Didn't know they were hiding in a pinball game! (But then I only recently learned of the awesomeness that is Thunder Force soundtracks, sooo...) These actually sound better than the versions from Thunder Force III and II, respectively.

Thunderforce and Dragon's Fury are both by Technosoft, so it's not a coincidence that they both have ROCKING MUSIC!

Agreed! My favorite from Sonic 3D Blast is one I haven't seen posted yet (its not one of the popular ones): Spring Stadium Zone

I don't know why, but this tune always reminds me of Brit-pop when I hear it.

For Genesis, I present: Stereo Protect. What would you even change if you were to attempt to remake this track with more modern and versatile equipment?

Oh yeah, Pulseman had a lot of good music too. So easy to forget about this game.

And on a random note, Cool Spot had some pretty great music too...

Bonus Stage
Off The Wall
Beach Music

Also, one of my favorite pieces of Music from Earthworm Jim 2:

Lorenzen's Soil

Overall I did feel like EWJ 2 on the SNES had the better soundtrack for the most part, though I actually prefer this track on the Genesis over the SNES version. I also prefer the Genesis rendition of Moonlight Sonata over it's SNES counterpart. To me the Genesis version has a deeper crisper sound, while the SNES games has this kind of muffled lullaby thing going on.

Though when it comes to Earthworm Jim 1, the Genesis version had the way better soundtrack.

Also, one of my favorite pieces of Music from Earthworm Jim 2:

Lorenzen's Soil

Overall I did feel like EWJ 2 on the SNES had the better soundtrack for the most part, though I actually prefer this track on the Genesis over the SNES version. I also prefer the Genesis rendition of Moonlight Sonata over it's SNES counterpart. To me the Genesis version has a deeper crisper sound, while the SNES games has this kind of muffled lullaby thing going on.

Though when it comes to Earthworm Jim 1, the Genesis version had the way better soundtrack.
I think I agree with the general "EWJ2 sounded better on SNES while EWJ1 sounded better on Genesis" sentiment, yes.
The CD soundtrack versions sound better than either :V

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The PS I dungeon arrange is glorious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziuZmaMiOCQ

Also loved the Dezolis field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUNSRsJa_E

I remember the first time hearing the PS1 dungeon remixes, I nearly lost it... PS4 had such a unique soundtrack for an RPG, the rave and industrial-inspired tunes being particular favorites.

Sword_Of_Vermilion_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

Sword of Vermilion - Opening
Sword of Vermilion - Village A
Sword of Vermilion - Shop

Shadow_Dancer_The_Secret_of_Shinobi_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

Shadow Dancer - Stage 2
Shadow Dancer - Bonus Stage (this is SUCH a jam!)
Shadow Dancer - End Theme

i could post music from shadow dancer all day.

Oh yes, Sword of Vermillion and Shadow Dancer had some incredible soundtracks.

Sword of Vermillion - Last City
Sword of Vermillion - Boss A

Shadow Dancer - Stage 3

See, I'm loathe to suggest Sunset Riders; the music conversion was good, but it had a similarly good conversion to the SNES, and SNES sound quality is generally better; this case is no exception, keeping in all the orchestral hits and stuff.

Then again, the arcade original has FM Synth for the most part, with some sample-based instruments to go along (the rock guitar, the orchestra hits, the drums, etc), so it's kind of the best of both worlds. And I suppose the Genesis version does have two tracks not present in the others...

Ocaso

^ He's done some other good conversions too.

Mega Man X3
Super Metroid

I'm sorry, I was a Genesis kid and have a lot of love for the system, but there's no way Super Metroid would have sounded that good on a Genesis. He produces a somewhat similar sound, but it's a richer, cleaner sound that the Genesis actually produced, and some of the instruments don't sound like any instruments I ever heard on the Genesis.

I don't exactly buy that, actually. I mean, yes, I'm pretty sure he didn't use a tracker designed to mimic the Genesis's YM2612 and SN76489 verbatim, so there are probably some subtle differences, but most of that sounds pretty authentic to what a Genesis could actually do.

Noriyuki Iwadare awesomeness from Langrisser 2

Neo Holy War

Knights Errant

No Surrender

Dark Princess

A Story Forever

there's high quality versions for the saturn and ps1 versions of the game but the megadrive one is wonderful to me

Fuck yeah, Iwadare!

Something not as common, but you should listen to this if you never did, The Hybrid Front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FpiS7GbQI

So good

:O

That is divine synth going there. Holy shit.

Ok, lots of Phantasy Star IV, but nowhere near enough Phantasy Star II. That's a crime, beause PSII has probably the best OST of the entire series:

Rise or Fall
Silent Zone
Violation

Seriously, one of the most unique and perfect soundtracks ever, no other game sounds like this, and it just sets the tone for the world so very well it's amazing. This soundtrack wouldn't work for any other game, and a more generic OST would have hurt the atmosphere so much.

Bo you rock.

Moving away from that we get: The Last Soul (Streets of Rage)

And yeah this is Streets of Rage, but it always gets ignored, and it is far and away the most impressive composition in the game, the way it builds, bridges and loops cannot be beat. That and the FM bass line is amazing.

and another one from Ys III:

Valestine Castle

The TG-CD version is my favorite, but of the three the genesis was the closest to the original PC-88 versions.

Oh and who can forget:

Sentimental Twilight

I think I agree with the general "EWJ2 sounded better on SNES while EWJ1 sounded better on Genesis" sentiment, yes.
The CD soundtrack versions sound better than either :V

Well, there's really no comparison when you bring the CD soundtracks into this. The Sega CD version of EWJ1 is the definitive version of the first game for me, yeah I would take it any day over that Gameloft "HD port". The first SNES game always seemed kind of busted to me though, It was missing almost half of the voice samples and sound effects from the Genesis game. The underwater tube levels were missing its music track and replaced with the level 1 music. Also the intestinal distress level was missing too. The SNES game had nicer visuals, but it was lacking in every other area.

Though I would give EWJ 2 an edge on the SNES as a whole, as they didn't cut out any content from that version. Though both the Genesis and SNES versions were good for their respective platforms.

Moving away from that we get: The Last Soul (Streets of Rage)

And yeah this is Streets of Rage, but it always gets ignored, and it is far and away the most impressive composition in the game, the way it builds, bridges and loops cannot be beat. That and the FM bass line is amazing.

I know Streets of Rage 2 is the go to game whenever these 16bit music threads come up. But I must be in a minority that prefers the SOR1 soundtrack over SOR2.

Violent Breathing
Stealthy Steps
Keep The Groovin
Moon Beach
Dilapidated Town

Too god damn good... Though I never actually owned the original Streets of Rage on the Genesis, instead I had the game on that 5-in-1 Sega CD collection (which had SOR1, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Columns and Super Monaco GP) . They were essentially straight ports, but with minor audio improvements over the Genesis versions.

Streets of Rage series

Thunder Force series

Super Hang On

Midnight Resistance

Mercs

Shadow Dancer

Contra Hard Corps

Adventures of Batman & Robin

Revenge of Shinobi

Shinobi 3

Gaiares

Phantasy Star series

Valis 3

Fuck my life. Every cool thread happens when I'm busy! Please PM me whenever anyone ever does these threads, I love video game music so much.

Master of Monster's been mentioned, but I think Large Green Meadow is the better track from the game. Based Sakamoto really digs in deep with the bass frequencies, and I think it's heavier than Metal Squad (though nothing beats that track overall).

Player Phase 1 from the original Langrisser is one of the best battle tunes I know of—like the MD counterpart to Romancing Saga's Four Noble Devils jig. Iwadare kicks ass.

Alien Soldier's got an incredible, death-defying soundtrack from Norio Hanzawa. But, since everyone brings up either Runner 2012 AD or the game's version of Seven Force, I prefer talking about its amazing ending theme, Oblivious Past. Crazy synth layers leading up to a generous fanfare—just the best.

This is a good place to mention it. If you like the sound of the Yamaha YM2612 (the Mega Drive sound chip) it is worth checking out the PC-98 as the Yamaha YM2203 sounds very similar (I think its the model before) while the Yamaha YM2608 adds another 10 channels so in a way is a glimpse into a synth future that never happened...

Ryu Umemoto* in particular did some noted work...a good example is Teito from the visual novel game YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world.

Further reading might be the Sharp X68000 with its YM2151+MSM6258 combo. But I guess its more PCM than FM Synth...
This is just as important. Umemoto is a given, true, but there are so many great artists who have done music on the PC-98 and its competitors.

They do, and that's because Toshiharu Yamanishi got better at arranging older tracks very quickly. The entirety of Thunder Force IV, when compared to his work on III and Elemental Master, is a testament to this.

Here are the original demo tracks Takenouchi transferred to the game version (I'm assuming, anyway). Wonderful musician, and the perfect choice for Climax's definitive game.

Shaneus

AWS Pro Moves Soccer Menu: Jesper Kyd's first work on the Genesis (before he did Adventures of Batman and Robin, Red Zone or Sub-Terrania). I dunno how good the game is (sports games aren't my scene), but there's no way it could live up to a menu theme this kickass.
You posted Jesper Kyd! <3 (but the rest of your post is also incredible)

Should've posted Sub-Terrania as well, though! Having said that, the one you posted was awesome as shit, too.
Road Rash 2

Also great that he got to work on a lot of Ubisoft games (I think all the Hitman games except for Absolution and a number of Assassin's Creed titles as well). My first run-in with his stuff was actually a .mod he did called Radio Moscow. So rad.

The underwater tube levels were missing its music track and replaced with the level 1 music.
I wouldn't really say it was missing, considering the track's shared with Level 5, and Level 5 still has it. Lord knows why they didn't bother to use it in both places like every other version of the game, though.

And yes, let us never speak of the Gameloft versions again.

I wouldn't really say it was missing, considering the track's shared with Level 5, and Level 5 still has it. Lord knows why they didn't bother to use it in both places like every other version of the game, though.

And yes, let us never speak of the Gameloft versions again.

Oh, you're right. I never played EWJ1 on the SNES all the way through, so I assumed it was missing from Level 5 as well.

Damn, this is terrible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2I8orVQs0, everything sounds muted and tiny, there's almost no beat at all.
Genesis version sounds great in comparison though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtHJUyzfVfI

I don't think I've ever heard a bad Genesis tune

I'm sure I'll be reminded though :/

There's always crazy bus.

But yeah, when Genesis music goes wrong, it can be ear piercing. Here's one that was hard on my ears when I first heard it: Scooby Doo Mystery theme.

And while it's no where near as bad as that Scooby Doo theme, The Rock and Roll Racing Soundtrack on the Genesis could never live up to the richness of the SNES version. Though the Genesis version did have a pretty groovy version of Radar Love that was not found anywhere in the SNES game.

[edit] Nevermind, turns out that Scooby Doo theme is an emulation error. I have never played this game on a real Genesis, so when I played it through emulation the first time, I assumed that was how the music sounded on real hardware. Here's what the actual theme sounds like : link. The game always kind of intrigued me though, as it looks like a dead ringer for a SCUMM title. The interface and art style look so similar to Day of the Tentacle.

Loona

Gotta love SoR, but I'm surprised the original Sonic music isn't getting a mention - then again, in Europe the system was slightly slower, and this was also reflected on the music. In sonic's case, IMO, that was an improvement in these two cases:

Starlight Zone - in a game all about speed, this was almost like a nice quiet moment before the actual final stages to take a breath and enjoy the actual stars over the comparatively plain scenery

Final Zone - the final boss fight used a variation on the regular boss music, but sort of "stretched" it (I really lack the musical education to describe it better) in a way that made it feel more serious, intense and final, the moment to stop at the end of the game's whole chase to deal with the menace at hand.

I kinda feel sorry for those that grew with the "regular", speedier versions - when I listen to those, it just lacks the impact and feels like a forced mockery of something great.

TheOGB

Banned
Final Zone - the final boss fight used a variation on the regular boss music, but sort of "stretched" it (I really lack the musical education to describe it better) in a way that made it feel more serious, intense and final, the moment to stop at the end of the game's whole chase to deal with the mena at hand.

I kinda feel sorry for those that grew with the "regular", speedier versions - when I listen to those, it just lacks the impact and feels like a forced mockery of something great.
Good lord, that's actually a little bit scary D:

Gotta go slooooowwwwww

Top Bottom