• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome SEGA Genesis Music

Krammy

While perhaps not "awesome", Bravoo Man - Gunstar Heroes takes it for me, as being one of the most unsettling pieces I've ever heard. It absolutely creeps me out and I'll forever remember this theme.

Many people have already mentioned Sonic 3's entire soundtrack, but I'll narrow my favourite down to the Final Boss theme. When Mecha Sonic appears during the slow pan and this music starts up, I still get chills.

Retro

Wow, only one mention of X-Men 2: Clone Wars?

Phalanx Hive (Dunno why it's labeled "Avalon 3")
Magneto's Chambers
Climbing the Temple

Not to mention the soundtrack changed based on which character you picked for certain levels.

Other favorites
Visitor's Center - Jurassic Park (saw this one mentioned already, bears repeating).
Idaten - Shinobi III (sounds weird without the hoofbeats at the beginning)
Iron Blue Intention - Castlevania: Bloodlines
Calling from Heaven - Castlevania: Bloodlines

Really, the whole Bloodlines soundtrack is incredible. Especially that ending theme.

I see most of the Sonic games are covered, as are Phantasy Star and the like.

Wow, only one mention of X-Men 2: Clone Wars?

Phalanx Hive (Dunno why it's labeled "Avalon 3")
Magneto's Chambers
Climbing the Temple

Not to mention the soundtrack changed based on which character you picked for certain levels.

Other favorites
Visitor's Center - Jurassic Park (saw this one mentioned already, bears repeating).
Idaten - Shinobi III (sounds weird without the hoofbeats at the beginning)
Iron Blue Intention - Castlevania: Bloodlines
Calling from Heaven - Castlevania: Bloodlines

Really, the whole Bloodlines soundtrack is incredible. Especially that ending theme.

I see most of the Sonic games are covered, as are Phantasy Star and the like.

maaaan, was gonna post iron blue intention. was soooo good

Game wasn't up to the (back then) high standard of the series but Sonic 3D has one of the best OST on Mega Drive IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOEOg3Xmtdo&list=PLFE75B2841A7E423F

Actually I never liked B&R sountrack by Jesper Kid, Batman license or not.

You know, I never liked it either when I first heard it. But that was mostly based on the principal that it sounded nothing like the animated TV show at the time. But the B&R soundtrack was something that sort of grew on me over time. I liked the more that I listed to it. But it is an acquired taste for sure.

Sonic 3D Blast has one of the most underrated Sonic soundtracks though.

Popful Mail has fantastic music. The Sega CD version's soundtrack is mostly generated by the Megadrive/Genesis soundchip itself (save for the intro speech, the title screen, and the ending song).

Volcanic Zone (Exploration)

Cave (Battle)

Iceberg (Battle)

Ishikawa and Shikarawa were masters at their craft. I miss them so much!

Are you sure that was being generated on the Genesis? It sounds more like it is being generated on the PCM chip in the Sega CD to me.

Though I loved that PCM music that the Sega CD could turn out, Silpheed had such a meaty bassy arcade sound to it. Snatcher also had a few tracks that were PCM generated as well. So did the past tracks in Sonic CD.

jdkluv

Are you sure that was being generated on the Genesis? It sounds more like it is being generated on the PCM chip in the Sega CD to me.

Though I loved that PCM music that the Sega CD could turn out, Silpheed had such a meaty bassy arcade sound to it. Snatcher also had a few tracks that were PCM generated as well. So did the past tracks in Sonic CD.

For Popful Mail (and Silpheed I believe), the Sega CD PCM chip is responsible only for the drums (and voices. Popful Mail mostly just for drums, FM for the lead). For Sonic CD, it does everything in the PAST stages (except the sound effects). I think Sonic CD is true chip tunes because IIRC the CD disc stops spinning in the past stages, so it isn't streaming anything, just playing the music from RAM like a normal cartridge tune, only using the PCM instead.

For Popful Mail (and Silpheed I believe), the Sega CD PCM chip is responsible only for the drums (and voices. Popful Mail mostly just for drums, FM for the lead). For Sonic CD, it does everything in the PAST stages (except the sound effects). I think Sonic CD is true chip tunes because IIRC the CD disc stops spinning in the past stages, so it isn't streaming anything, just playing the music from RAM like a normal cartridge tune, only using the PCM instead.

Oh that's probably what throws me off. The drums sound very PCM like in those Popful Mail tracks. I'm no expert on music, but there's no way the Genesis could produce percussion of that quality on its own.

On that topic, I just remembered that Super Monoco GP on the Genesis 5-in-1 collection for the Sega CD had enhanced percussion as well:

Sega Genesis original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_vHtPU_HA
Sega CD version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KOPbdle4oI

I'm pretty sure this was being produced on the hardware too and not through redbook audio.

The game also had enhanced sound samples for the in game voices.

Kokonoe

Banned
More later~

Gynoug | Wings of Wor by Noriyuki Iwadare

Stage 1-1

Stage 2-1

Stage 3-2

Boss Theme

1-1 Wasn't aware the Genesis could make that type of flutey sound. Neat.

2-1 At 0:07 it sounds like Final Boss Sonic 3 lol

This is a nice adventurous while calm listen to. Gets even better as it progresses.

3-2 / Boss Theme You know, this music in some ways reminds me of Columns music, which ain't a bad thing. Different enough, but still.

War Like Requiem This is bumpin'. Heck yeah.

Stand Up Against Myself Very cool sounding and harmonic.

Sky Over Gotham City Kind of surprised this is in a Batman game, it sounds as if he's rushing through everything. The song sounds like you're cruisin' solo with a hint of some Mega Man. Nice unique Genesis song, reminds also of a Game Boy game called Sagaia.

Not posted in here, but here's my favourite Shining Force II track - To Arms!

Get's pretty epic about 40 seconds in :)

To Arms! It's epic in that orchestra sense, although, it's not orchestra and also has that arcadey sound to mesh with. Little repetitive, but a nice listen. Definitely suits the type of game it is.

Popful Mail has fantastic music. The Sega CD version's soundtrack is mostly generated by the Megadrive/Genesis soundchip itself (save for the intro speech, the title screen, and the ending song).

Volcanic Zone (Exploration)

Cave (Battle)

Iceberg (Battle)

Ishikawa and Shikarawa were masters at their craft. I miss them so much!

Dude. Heck yeah, man. This is some good stuff. I'll have to check this game out.

Volcanic Zone Exploration reminds me of Psychic Force music, which is pretty dang awesome so it's nice to see more of this stuff. It's like a hybrid between stuff you'd see in G Gundam with some Genesis.

Ice Berg This reminds me of Sonic Advance 1 Ice area. I wonder if someone got inspiration from this song for that? Sounds similar. Lovely listen regardless. Dem Genesis beats, yo.

I saw this thread and got ready to post that big list I made a few months back, only to discover this was the thread I did it in, back on page 2.

Well, can't complain about seeing the thread again, at least!

Zalman

Sonic 3 & Knuckles has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Big Arms is such an epic boss theme. Then there are other catchy ones like Flying Battery, Mushroom Hill, Launch Base etc.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Streets of Rage The Thread

Pretty much, but...

streets of rage 2 ending theme, still my favorite ending so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDaio2hf1fE

This is really where it's at. When I play this tune it not only evokes memories of the game and my entire Megadrive childhood, but also future years when I played with uni friends, forming new memories with older people with similar interests. It defines both my innocent self conquering a hard game, and my more mature self, using the uplifting melody as a drive to get through some coursework or prepare for a night out.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing for sure, but I still believe it's one of the finest compositions I've ever heard, let alone for a game. It gives me goosebumps every single time, at every major drop and swell. I don't understand why, but it almost brings tears to my eyes...

Can't explain it any better than that. Hope I'm not alone in my freak gushing!

Sonic music fans should listen to the Sonicesque albums. They're fan tribute albums with original music inspired by the Genesis Sonics.
Here's a nice sampling of my favorites:
Hydropolis Act 2
Magnet Mines

I would play a Christian Whitehead Sonic 5 with Genesis-style dot graphics and these tunes, lol.

Jazzem

This thread brings a tear to my eye :') So many favourites mentioned, even obscure gems like Toy Story (forgot how chilling that was to me as a a kid...) and Dynamite Headdy.

I'm sure most of my nostalgia/fondness for the MD comes from its incredible soundtracks, so many of them having stuck with me to this day. I agree with the consensus that it has held up better than the SNES's output, though of course that system produced great stuff too.

To add to the thread, I really like the MD versions of the SFII tunes.

Ken (*much* better than the SNES version!)

Blanka

Chun Li

Guile

Sky Over Gotham City Kind of surprised this is in a Batman game, it sounds as if he's rushing through everything. The song sounds like you're cruisin' solo with a hint of some Mega Man. Nice unique Genesis song, reminds also of a Game Boy game called Sagaia.

Yes It's a shoot'em up phase in the batwing over Gotham ... pretty epic between the speed and the music ^^

Tiny Toons - Inside the Cave

Tiny Toons - Forest

Wonderboy V - Spaceship

Landstalker - Let's go on an adventure

Landstalker - Lyle Heads Out (Seeking Treasure ~ Beneath the Mysterious Tree ~ Treasure Hunter Lyle)

Alladin - Rug Ride

Outrun 2019 - Feel the beat

Top Bottom