• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood - New Trailer and Open BETA, August 12th

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thanks mods for the title change

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Kupfer

Looks kind of off.
Sure, the L4D vibe is there, but the changes look more like aggravations to me. Just making enemies bigger and letting their eyes glow is kind of ... cheap. L4D was something new back then and still works today, I don't see why I would need B4B.
I also don't like the blood/splatter effects.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Matt O'Driscoll, Lead Producer at Turtle Rock Studios joins Persia to discuss everything you need to know about the upcoming Back 4 Blood early access, Beta, and release date.

He discusses major differences between the PvE and PvP of Back 4 Blood, and what players will have to look forward to with the upcoming PvP Beta.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ready for your Summer Slay-cation? Back 4 Blood’s Open Beta is coming August 5-9 & 12-16! Pre-order for Early Access.

Don’t miss any of the apocalyptic mayhem in the Beta, including:
- 2 PvE Campaign Maps
- 2 PvP Swarm Mode Maps
- 5 Playable Cleaners
- 6 Playable Ridden
- Fort Hope Communal Hub
- All Weapons & Gear
- Cross-play and Cross-gen Support

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We went hands-on with both PVE and PVP modes in Back 4 Blood ahead of the upcoming open and early access beta, and our biggest takeaway is that we can't wait to see more. Check out Mitchell Saltzman's Back 4 Blood impressions and find out whether it's a worthy spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead.

In addition to a full look at the new cooperative zombie survival beta map, Blue Dog Hollow, we've also got some of the first Back 4 Blood gameplay of the new Back 4 Blood Swarm mode, which pits humans against zombies in an asymmetrical competitive multiplayer mode.

april6e

Alot of people are hoping this game will be good.

I hope that I can somehow learn how to use a mouse and keyboard within a week as a lifelong console controller user because plugging in my xbox controller isn't gong to cut it against these insane PC players who played Counter Strike all their lives.

packy34

Alot of people are hoping this game will be good.

I hope that I can somehow learn how to use a mouse and keyboard within a week as a lifelong console controller user because plugging in my xbox controller isn't gong to cut it against these insane PC players who played Counter Strike all their lives.
This isn't a competitive game. You should be fine on a controller.

splattered

Naw, in for a penny in for a pound. Just gonna preorder straight from MS and cross my fingers it ends up as good as it looks :p

Reactions: Isa

M.W.

DL started on XSX. 26GB.

Why are MS speeds so slow btw? I just downloaded something off Steam, was getting 500 down. On my Xbox I'm getting 60.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

DL started on XSX. 26GB.

Why are MS speeds so slow btw? I just downloaded something off Steam, was getting 500 down. On my Xbox I'm getting 60.
i’ve noticed this lately, really slow speeds on xbox. few months ago they were solid and matched my provider speed but recently i get a 3rd of my actual speed

Last edited:

Xdrive05

I got in the public/open beta by doing the Alienware signup. They still have a lot left currently if you folks are interested. I had to create an account, but no big deal. Already preloading from Steam.

Edit: PC Recommended Specs:

CPUIntel Core i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
GPUGeForce GTX 970 or Radeon RX 590
RAM12GB
STORAGE25GB SSD
OSWINDOWS 10 64-bit
DXDIRECTX 11

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 had the “Versus” mode which mirrored the campaign but from a PvP angle, but as players may recall, the campaign aspect of the mode inherently meant you were committing to a lengthy match. Robb said in an interview with ComicBook.com during a preview event that the Back 4 Blood team hoped to avoid that with Swarm.

“There’s sort of a lot of things. One: We don’t want to just do the same thing, right?” said Robb when asked why Back 4 Blood opted for Swarm instead of a campaign PvP mode. “But, two: One of the things about the campaign PvP is that it’s a really big time commitment. I would say that most PvP games out there, you can jump in and have a few matches in 10, 15 minutes. So, it’s not as big of a time commitment.”

Robb continued by recalling some memories players probably have of the older zombie games where things go poorly in a PvP mode’s opening moments. This in turn leads to players getting kicked or leaving on their own terms. You’re then left at a disadvantage in an already unfavorable situation, and the experience quickly deteriorates.

“The other thing that’s nice about that is that if you’re looking at a campaign PvP and right off the bat, you know things aren’t clicking, you’re more than likely just going to quit out,” Robb said. “You’re going to ruin a bunch of other people’s games because you quit out, and matchmaking has to happen all over again. With this, it’s not that much of a commitment. You get in, you have a crazy, frenetic battle with other guys, and if things don’t go your way, the match is over very quickly, and you get to try again.”

Time commitments aside, Robb said the Turtle Rock team simply wanted to try something new, too. Players could draw comparisons between Back 4 Blood’s Swarm mode and the more traditional “Survival” mode from the Left 4 Dead games, but Robb said the developers wanted to avoid being formulaic.

“From a practical standpoint, I think those are pretty strong factors in that decision,” Robb said. “I think part of us … we just wanted to try something new. We’re not a studio that likes to stick to formulas and things like that. We like to innovate where we can, and we felt like that was one place where we could innovate.”

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

game is fun from what i’ve played so far, like that you can add attachments to guns etc and all guns feel pretty nice and balanced however the movement feels slow at times, fov could definitely be better, if you use a controller aim assist is best turned off as it doesn’t work right at all (not that you really need it in a game like this)

Codes for anyone who wants them! (Each link is a different code)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
just played the first act. Seems like it will be pretty good fun. I used to love left 4 dead and I think they’ve done enough to bring it up to date. The loot attachments for guns is cool and there’s some really tense moments. Some of the performance went to shit in heavy combat scenarios on my 3080 but over all it was decent.

will be there day one on gamepass. Is it gamepass pc too?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Codes for anyone who wants them:

ClosBSAS

good lord...what a terrible fucking game...its cod with zombies and terible game design with resident evil style monsters that are just so bad....

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"We don’t want to just do the same thing, right?”

"Time commitments aside, Robb said the Turtle Rock team simply wanted to try something new, too."

They created a Left 4 Dead clone but wanted to do something new? How does that work?

elliot5

"We don’t want to just do the same thing, right?”

"Time commitments aside, Robb said the Turtle Rock team simply wanted to try something new, too."

They created a Left 4 Dead clone but wanted to do something new? How does that work?
I mean it's very obviously a L4D clone, but it is doing some things new. Really need it to be PvP campaign to see if it all works well.

Fake

I mean it's very obviously a L4D clone, but it is doing some things new. Really need it to be PvP campaign to see if it all works well.

I watched time to time and don't looks L4D clone at all. More like a modern FPS with zombies.

The problem with those kind of devs are they insecurity. When they launch Evolve, every single time/trailer/preview they need to remind everyone that was 'for the same team behind L4D', and they're doing the same here again.

Top Bottom