• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood - New Trailer and Open BETA, August 12th

bender

What time is it?
Am I crazy for thinking that this plays more like WWZ than L4D?

I got those vibes too, specifically with the emplacements. Overall, I'm not sure how I feel.

+Run really well on PS5.
+Normal presented a good challenge for me, my buddy, his son and bot. Really forces you to stick with one another.
+Level lengths feel about right. This was one of my nitpicks about the original L4D/L4D2. No Mercy was a great campaign where each level felt like the perfect length for tough but fair. A lot of other campaign levels either felt too
short or too long.
+Weapon variety and attachments are a nice touch.
+Melee is fun but might be a little overpowered on lower difficulty levels, even with the stamina system.
=Card System feels like a weird step in between classic L4D and the leveling system from WWZ. I honestly didn't care for the leveling mechanic is WWZ as it felt like a necessary grind to take on higher difficulty levels than the more skilled approach of L4D (not saying WWZ required no skill). I'll need to spend more time with the system. My gut reaction is to dislike it but I do like pumping stamina cards and the melee perk that heals you for +2 with every melee kill.
=Collecting money for an item shop. From a lore standpoint this makes little sense and just feels like unnecessary padding. It really feels like between the money and cards, they always want you to be collecting something in the levels.
-Special infected designs have the same archetypes as L4D but are way less interesting. Boomer, Smoker, Hunter, Witch and Tank were iconic in the first and WWZ and B4B just feel like cheap imitations.
-The Ogre feels pretty lame.
-The weapons feel a little flimsy and the automatic weapons dump their clips way too fast. It feels really cartoonish.

Kenpachii

Saw it on twitch and frankly looks interesting, sadly 60 bucks isn't something i wanna pay for it, if it can go down to 20 i would check it out.

Sygma

Game is absolutely abysmal in terms of design. Not only is the gunplay bad since there's literally no variation from one gun to another, but on top of that the hordes are laughable, its too easy and the card system literally overpowers your ass to no end. Accessories are mostly L4D's, and the art direction in that first act is as generic as it can get

Darktide will utterly destroy this from a PvE perspective without the shadow of a doubt. Vermintide 1 and 2 elevated the genre to a way higher standard than this shit, like seriously. Sure there's some actual mechanics with the weakpoints and whatnot but its not nearly enough

Kenpachii Kenpachii will be on gamepass iirc

Last edited:
I don't understand why they didn't just straight up give us L4D. Less is more. There's too much crap added to this game, even something as benign as adding weapon attachments breaks the flow of the game.

engstra

Played it last night with some friends, I think all of our impressions were a MEH.
The gunplay was fine although didn't really feel like there was any impact to hits. I think the main thing that struck me was that it just felt like Warzone. Feels like we spent most of our time running around picking up items and ammo rather than worrying about the enemies ahead. Card system feels out of place. The enemy types were pretty underwhelming, didn't feel very diverse. All have some boils on them on some part of their body that you need to aim for.
If I had an Xbox, getting this on gamepass would be cool but I can't see myself paying money for this.

MiguelItUp

So i got a question.

Will there be a Campain Versus in the Final Version?
They've said it wasn't planned. But they could be lying. I mean, really. It's not like that's something that belonged to the L4D IP. Not doing campaign versus would be a HUGE missed opportunity. Especially when that's the biggest complaint a lot of the players have.

TheMan

I'm surprised reception has been so bad. So far I've only played one match (so maybe that's the problem), but I found the game to be enjoyable enough. Not amazing but fine.

It seems like people who doesn't like this game basically wants L4D2 with modern graphics. The core of the game is pretty much the same as i remember it. You shoot zombies to get to the next safe house etc. It's not perfect of course, but gun and shooting feels like L4D, and even has different damage points for each gun with different rate of fire.

winjer

Gold Member
After playing a bit, I just find the game to be boring.
And the card system sucks. It's just an excuse for future micro-transactions.

FUBARx89

Well, me and my friends aren't buying it at full wack.

Who the fuck decided some shitty arena pvp instead of the glorious verses mode from L4D was a good idea needs sacking.

Turtle Rock, coasting on that sweet L4D praise but not expanding on it. It's a shame really.

Now, if you excuse me. I'll be checking to see if my potato laptop can run L4D/2. Far cheaper. Leaps and bounds better.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm surprised reception has been so bad. So far I've only played one match (so maybe that's the problem), but I found the game to be enjoyable enough. Not amazing but fine.

I'm not sure where you get "so bad. . ." from. If you separate out the people who are willing to give the game itself a chance and not hoping to get another L4D the response has been positive.

The STEAM score for people who have skin in the game is at 90%. The game will do just fine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like most of you think the game is meh. Thats what I thought when I saw the trailer.

One thing I am curious though. I remember people saying this game is supposed to be more open worldish compared to L4D. Is that true?

Huge LFD fan here, been waiting for a new one forever. I just hope they were able to fix some issues before launch. The new special infected did not stand out at all, there is no music to announce them is there, there seemed to be no moments that gave that isolated one on one feeling with the special infected. Animations of the zombies seemed like a step back from LFD. I saw no crawling zombies. Some parts of the level felt lfdish. My friend was not happy with the graphics saying they looked like 360 in points. she was also a huge LFD player back when. I think some things may change as we just played lowest difficulty and that may be a big problem as we were experts on LFD. The melee felt weird, too powerful. But maybe thats a difficulty thing. Liked the giant monster more than I thought I would. Someone nailed the characters perfectly on twitter, saying their moods kinda seem to not meld well, but by the end the level I was liking the conversation a bit more. Need more stages ofcourse. I think it just needs some work, but can still be the game I wanted it to be.

Top Bottom