• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Just finished. Great episode. I love how you guys reflected on the hype surrounding the western release. I remember it well. One of the games that convinced me to save up and get a Genesis even though I already had an SNES.

Fantastic premise for an episode. I have so many PS1 era RPGs I missed out on in their time since distribution in Australia was a bit of a nightmare but they're now available on PSN. Working out which ones are worth my time now that my time is a little more valuable than it was when I was in high school is super useful.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my gf (who is a giant Suikoden fan girl). Games take months, even years to develop...even 20-25 years ago. Sometimes those games even get retooled for a new hardware generation. I feel like (much like Tales of Destiny) the first Suikoden started its life as an SNES game and ended up on the PS1. (Just to be clear, I don't know this...just suspect it).

If I didn't know better (Sony 1st party game), I'd think the same of Wild Arms.

A couple other examples: ICO started life as a PS1 game, Shenmue started life as a Saturn game, Fable started life as a Dreamcast game (announced E3 2001 if memory serves).

So awesome to see continuous output again from Back in my play.... now I just need to set aside time to catch up :/

Keep up the great work Kev!

Teknoman

ogbt640f.jpg

Just saying :p

wondermega

just listened to Gunstar Heroes episode - very thorough, and definitely interesting! I really dig the chemistry between you guys -

meppi

Haha! Did I recommend it? I think it was just a weird and cool game.

Well you put it on the list and told people to check it out even with the price of 40-50$...
Although you did mention that it was past 11PM and your brain stopped working, so you do have an alibi. ;)

BTW you could most definitely play Quake III Arena versus PC gamers.
I remember doing that back in the day against a buddy that played on PC.
But they did have separate servers though, so PC players couldn't enter Dreamcast only servers.

Never used a mouse and keyboard myself and thus got my ass handed to me.
Although when I played against DC players with controllers, I came across quite a couple that couldn't believe I was playing with a controller as well.
Loved that game so much, and the system is still one of my favourites, along with the Saturn.

I grew up with arcade games starting in the late 70's so it's only normal that those systems would have such a pull on me.

DKHF

LISTEN TO THIS IMMEDIATELY!

http://fitcast.network/bimp/episode-74-sega-dreamcast-and-shenmue-1-3-w-ryan-payton/

Ryan Payton of Camouflaj joins Kevin to talk about his memories of the Sega Dreamcast, Shenmue I and II, the story behind Shenmue III, and some Q&A from Ryan and Yu Suzuki.
Just listened to this and that was an amazing podcast. I first heard of Ryan early last year when he was on the Kinda Funny Gamescast and discussed his time with Kojima and thought that was awesome too. He's a really good storyteller and has had a really interesting career. The part where he discussed convincing Suzuki to use Kickstarter/make the game in this way was fascinating. I didn't know he was so involved with the project and visits every 2 months.

That anecdote about showing Yu the latest tech didn't exactly inspire confidence. I realize he's been out of the AAA space a while, but he didn't know about Unreal engine or GTA V?

Hey Kev, sorry it took so long but backed you on Paetreon and just wanted to say that the Shenmue episode with R.Peyton is fucking wonderful

Thanks again for the awesome show (^____^)

Top Bottom