• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAFTA Games Awards twitter voted Red Dead Redemption 2 as the best game sequel ever

GJ1irkgXgAAMylp

Indeed, RDR2 one of the best games of all time.

Seider

Isnt Red Dead Redemption the game Red Dead Revolver 2?

Then Red Dead Redemption 2 would be Red Dead Revolver 3.

Reactions: Gp1

Gojiira

List is objectively wrong if MGS3 isnt even top 10. No Uncharted 2? No God of War 3? No DMC3? Monster Hunter World?
Actually Id put World over all of them tbh

Hudo

I can spontaneously think of 10 sequels that are better:

Sim City 2000
Civilization II
Age of Empires II
Half-Life 2
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (it was known as C&C2)
Max Payne 2
Diablo II
Uncharted 2
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Edit: That RDR2 for some reason also apparently beat out Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fucking laughable. Come on.

Last edited:

kunonabi

SFII not winning or at least making it to the finals is ridiculous. Silent Hill 2 not even being on the list is almost as dumb.

This is really more of sequels in popular franchises being voted on for fun by a bunch of 15 year olds than an actual serious examination of important sequels in the medium. It's something I'd have expected out a disposable online poll and not something as supposedly respected as the BAFTAs.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Street Fighter 2 was the best sequel ever.
This. It massively improved virtually every aspect of the first game. There isn't one thing SF does better than SF II. The fact that it's also by far the most influential fighting game of all time further solidifies its place.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

As far as the jump in quality...I'm hard pressed to find one that's more impressive. HL1-->HL2 was a huge leap, but it wasn't on the same caliber. BotW-->TotK was a good jump too, but not nearly as impressive comparatively.

xrnzaaas

I would never put it above Half-Life 2, Diablo 2 or Assassin's Creed 2. While I can't argue that Rockstar made an awesome world with incredible attention to detail the main story dragged on for too long. I recently replayed RDR1 thanks to the PS5 remaster and I never got bored or tired with the main plot.

Still to this day do not understand the appeal of RDR2, but obviously plenty of people love it.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Beautiful open world, awesome music, great(and annoying) animations, brutal combat, pretty good story and well written characters in a Western setting. We just plain don't get a lot of Western themed games so having one of such production value in such a niche genre really helps it stand out. There's a lot to like about it.

When every open world game is sci-fi/post apocalyptic/modern day/fantasy it's easy to see why RDR2 stands out.

Topher

Gold Member
Beautiful open world, awesome music, great(and annoying) animations, brutal combat, pretty good story and well written characters in a Western setting. We just plain don't get a lot of Western themed games so having one of such production value in such a niche genre really helps it stand out. There's a lot to like about it.

When every open world game is sci-fi/post apocalyptic/modern day/fantasy it's easy to see why RDR2 stands out.

Don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, but let me ask, do you really enjoy the gameplay? That's what kills it for me.

StereoVsn

I don’t necessarily agree with the RDR2 (Half-Life 2 or SF2 for me), but keep in mind this is BAFTA. They aren’t going to examine gameplay improvements necessarily.

So naturally story heavy games will be front and center.

Don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, but let me ask, do you really enjoy the gameplay? That's what kills it for me.
I do. Though to be fair, I like to boot up RDR2 during the winter, get a nice cup of hot coffee, add a few mods to RDR2(a slo-mo mod really let's me enjoy the game more) and just kind of take it in. Toggling slomo during an intense gunfight or mishap can lead to some impressive things to see. I also enjoy just taking in the ambiance and atmosphere, fishing, seeing NPC's routines, watching the wildlife hunt, seeing a good sunrise or sunset from the top of a mountain or checking out a lighting storm.

I just find it to be super immersive to let yourself get lost in. If I try to play it as just a "game" per say, it feels like I'm just going through the motions at this point. But taking it holistically I find to be very enjoyable.

Top Bottom