• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAFTA Games Awards twitter voted Red Dead Redemption 2 as the best game sequel ever

tenor.gif

Well deserved for an amazing game. Loved my time with it from start to finish even past the prologue leaving me with that empty feeling of not wanting to move on yet. Nor did I really understand the complaints about gameplay or movement. It's everything I wanted from a Cowboy sim.

That's wonderful.

In a list that has Portal 2, an  actual video game made by people that care about video games, a movie sequel to a game, won.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

I am indeed triggered.

Last edited:
Uncharted 2 not being in that list is a travesty. It's the game that turned the tables for Playstation and influenced most 3rd person adventure games..

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Uncharted 2 not being in that list is a travesty. It's the game that turned the tables for Playstation and influenced most 3rd person adventure games..
Is it? Uncharted 2 still strikes a right balance between cinematography and fun. TLOU is the one game that cared a lot more about writing and characters than the game. Sure, it was largely influenced by Uncharted but games like GOW 2018 and Horizon seems to be much more influenced by TLOU than Uncharted 2.

SoloCamo

If the top award was named best slow paced, boring game play, you have to have a lot of free time to play it sequel I'd understand.

Last edited:
Red Dead 2 is the most boring and overrated game ever made.

It also baffles me how people call it an open world game while failing quests for literally stepping six inches off of the approved path. Seriously fuck off

What a disappointment after Red Dead 1

DeathGuise

It's amazingly close but I'd say that Galaxy 2, Portal 2 and RE2 are better

That's a particularly cutthroat race though, I'm not going to press the matter

gtabro

That just goes to show how the vast majority of people haven’t played RDR 1 which apart from the graphics is superior in every other aspect to 2.

Last edited:
Is it? Uncharted 2 still strikes a right balance between cinematography and fun. TLOU is the one game that cared a lot more about writing and characters than the game. Sure, it was largely influenced by Uncharted but games like GOW 2018 and Horizon seems to be much more influenced by TLOU than Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 2 was the "level-up" moment for ND. TLOU is a better game but the foundations of the studio had already been established. Playstation was kind of struggling up to that moment.

In terms of impact, Assassins Creed 2 would be similar in defining the "Ubisoft formula" and setting up one of the most recognized franchises in modern videogames. For example, RDR 2 is a masterpiece, but it's just an iteration/improvement of the previous game.

Love everything about the game except the out dated mission design and the laggy controls.

For official sequel I'd go with either Super Mario Galaxy 2 or TLOU II.

yamaci17

From an improvement perspective, I'd say what they achieved with Portal 2 over Portal 1 is more impressive. But as the overall game, sure, RDR 2 is definitely the best of the bunch

nikos

Look at the rest of the garbage on that list. Only SFII deserves to be there. ACII was good too.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Fair enough

I see you know how this community works 💀
Been here long enough lol. Especially when it comes to games people are in love with. There’s really no point in arguing that, because I will always be wrong, even though in my personal opinion another game might be better.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Among those choices, RDR2 would be my pick as well. Well-written story, fantastic voice acting and presentation, beautiful art design and graphics, immersive gameplay, great music. It's the best video game Western of all time.

Hudo

Red Dead 2 is the most boring and overrated game ever made.

It also baffles me how people call it an open world game while failing quests for literally stepping six inches off of the approved path. Seriously fuck off

What a disappointment after Red Dead 1
I share the same sentiment about RDR2. It's easily the weakest game made by Rockstar so far. It's as if it had two directors who were in disagreement with each other. One wanted to have this living, systemic open-world and the other wanted to tell a gripping story and they both compromised in the most restrictive ways possible. The missions don't use the open-world at all and even, as you said, punish the player for even attempting to do so and the open-world is not allowed to tell any bigger stories with its systems. And also, fuck the animations. They're nice to look at the first 3 or 4 times but after that, just let me pick up shit/do shit fast. Look at Uncharted 2 for how to do it right. It does not forget it's a video game and is better for it.

It does look really pretty, though.

pxlwrld

Neo Member
I would've picked HL2 as the winner, but RDR2 is just as deserving. It's still an unmatched game in many aspects 6 years after its release and probably my personal favorite of all time.

tmlDan

I don't agree, thought RDR1 was better than 2.

I'd say ME2 and UC2 were better sequels with massive improvements. They're not even on the list, HL2 deserves it more.

Red5

I love these threads, always brings out the elitist snobs. Suddenly Mass Effect 2, Halo 2, Portal 2, games that defined a generation are trash, lol.

Anyway, currently playing RDR2, great game, Arthur Morgan and Dutch are definitely one of the best written characters in video games.

ReyBrujo

RDR2 is great but the first one was also great so it polished what was already fine. It's like TotK polishing and expanding what BotW had achieved. Both were successful and could spend more time expanding on those ideas. Street Fighter 2 had to be done from scratch, had to be completely redrawn and rebalanced because if people had remembered how awful SF1 was they wouldn't have played SF2. And it single-handedly revived the fighting genre and set the norm for every fighting game that came afterwards. And then thanks to one of its multiple versions literally revived the whole competitive fighting gaming scene. It's not even close.

Mozzarella

For the past few years i see Red Dead Redemption 2 reaching circlejerk levels that wasn't even possible.
People are quick to make fun of mainstream games like TLOU, Bioshock, Witcher, Zelda BOTW, Skyrim and even Elden Ring.
But when it comes to RDR2 i noticed a new unrelenting circlejerk unlike any other. Game is worshiped by casuals, this surprises me because from 2018 to 2020 RDR2 was put under the critical lens, something must've changed for it to become the top dog.
I remember in IGN poll God of War destroyed it, now if they re-do the poll im betting all my money on RDR2.

Ofcourse RDR2 is not a bad game, its a good game even, i just fail to understand where did that love come from?

Last edited:

Woggleman

For the past few years i see Red Dead Redemption 2 reaching circlejerk levels that wasn't even possible.
People are quick to make fun of mainstream games like TLOU, Bioshock, Witcher, Zelda BOTW, Skyrim and even Elden Ring.
But when it comes to RDR2 i noticed a new unrelenting circlejerk unlike any other. Game is worshiped by casuals, this surprises me because from 2018 to 2020 RDR2 was put under the critical lens, something must've changed for it to become the top dog.
I remember in IGN poll God of War destroyed it, now if they re-do the poll im betting all my money on RDR2.

Ofcourse RDR2 is not a bad game, its a good game even, i just fail to understand where did that love come from?
For all intents and purposes Arthur Morgan is one of the best characters and a fan favorite. I noticed that during the pandemic when many people had time to really sit down and take it in there was a turnaround on it.

Also why do some people seem so offended that a lot of people actually like this game. If you don't like or consider it to be fun gameplay then fine but many people do and they have their reasons. There are many fines that are arcadey and fast paced so enjoy them and let people enjoy a game that takes a different approach.

RDR was one of my favorite games of all time. I tapped out on RDR2 a couple of hours in on two different attempts at playing it. That is not what I call a good sequel.

Yeah, Half Life 2 was a good one...

I think I will have to go with:
a link to the past nintendo GIF by El Primer Mando

Best console game... therefore best console sequel therefore possibly best overall sequel.

Perrott

Gold Member

Oh... yeah... why would people like RDR2, arguably Rockstar's best game only rivaled by perhaps GTA IV?

nemiroff

Gold Member
RDR2 is a legit marvel and one of the wonders of the videogame world. I love it..

..But it also sadly has glaring mission mechanic problems which is hard to unsee..

Wildebeest

The only one there that stands out for having a sequel that was clearly much better or revolutionary is Street Fighter 2. In the top 4. RDR2, no opinion, don't care. HL2, some actual innovative tech, but in some ways no better than and not as groundbreaking as HL. Portal 2 is just Portal with more jokes and some bells and whistles, the biggest complaint about Portal is that it felt like a long tutorial with some lamp shading trickery to make you feel satisfied such as going behind the scenes a "boss fight" and a song, but Portal 2 didn't deliver anything substantial that took Portal to the next level. Mass Effect 2 is obviously loved for its characters, "standardisation" of third-person shooter gameplay, or whatever, but it is a less ambitious and interesting sequel to Mass Effect that never really delivered on the promises that game made.

Mattyp

Gold Member
RDR1 was one of my games of the generation.

2 is horse shit. Looks great, but literal horse shit. Cannot recommend.

Top Bottom