• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's gate 3 Release Date is moving forward from August 31 to August 3. PlayStation version September 6

Draugoth

Gold Member
Edit Confirmed

Baldur’s Gate 3 Is Coming To PC Early To Avoid Games Like Starfield, Cyberpunk DLC​

Baldur's Gate 3 is doing a reverse delay from August 31 to August 3. The game is being delayed on Playstation 5:

86xz5xc33z8b1.png

• Confirmed 4K60 FPS on PS5

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait, so they're pulling the PC version ahead almost a month but releasing the PS5 version the same date as Starfield?

uhh ok lol, if it's content complete and ready to ship, have the PS5 version release in early August too then, why delay it more ?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
on one platform they’re competing directly with Starfield, on the other they’re not and obviously they want that time still to work on the PS5 port

it seems pretty easy to understand their reasoning to me?

Yeah, I get that. But why the odd one week delay. Have it out before Starfield in that case.

All the discourse is going to be dominated by Starfield on the 6th.

Rush2112

Banned
No complaints here. FINALLY and RPG that:

-isnt made for switch
-isnt a JRPG
-doesnt have stupid anime bullshit in it
-doesnt have japanese fetish cartoon characters in it
-isnt about the “power of friendship”
-doesnt have stupid fukin karaoke mini games

hence, its not gonna be popular on this board.

JCK75

I've owned it a long time but have been putting off playing until it's closer to official release

Neilg

Wait, so they're pulling the PC version ahead almost a month but releasing the PS5 version the same date as Starfield?

uhh ok lol

A lot of people only have a PS5 and no Xbox. Pushing that back allows them to pull PC forward and capture people that would otherwise be on the fence about which to play.
Smart move, I hope it works for them.

I'm eager to play this but I'm not buying it until I get a deep review of how it controls on console.

Thank god, was worried i wouldn't be even close to finish the game before Bethesda's game release.

Starfield's scary i guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:, smart move by Larian, hope they sell a lot, i'll be there day 1

KungFucius

King Snowflake

uhh ok lol, if it's content complete and ready to ship, have the PS5 version release in early August too then, why delay it more ?
Its been running on PC in early access for years. They are likely taking some resources from PS5 optimization to hurry the final one out the door so they added a convenient 1 week buffer.

Chukhopops

It’s a good idea if they want to sell more on PC as September is just loaded. Play it on PC if you can as it’s just much better control wise (having played DOS2 on both PC and console).

Gonna wait a few months and get it for half price as there’s no way to fit it this year.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You can do better.

So could Starfield, but they made a creative choice.

All joking aside... the early access build was amazing, I'm just worried they cant keep it up through a whole adventure. The number of responses and choices to characters is insane.

Last edited:

amigastar

So could Starfield, but they made a creative choice.

All joking aside... the early access build was amazing, I'm just worried they cant keep it up through a whole adventure. The number of responses and choices to characters is insane.
Really? I haven't played the EA but that sounds promising.
Talking about the EA, did Larian finish the combat system or will it be different in the Release?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Really? I haven't played the EA but that sounds promising.

So for example one of your companions has an issue... you essentially make him promise not to attack anything sentient... he then goes out of his way to dicuss what you count as sentiant, if you specify things you can converse with he begrudgingly agrees... unless your a druid where he shouts "YOU CAN LITERALLY TALK TO TREES!, where does that leave me? Rocks?"

It's little details like that based on your race/class combination that the world makes note of and actively comments on that sets it apart.

Last edited:

amigastar

So for example one of your companions has an issue... you essentially make him promise not to attack anything sentient... he then goes out of his way to dicuss what you count as sentiant, if you specify things you can converse with he begrudgingly agrees... unless your a druid where he shouts "YOU CAN LITERALLY TALK TO TREES!, where does that leave me? Rocks?"

It's little details like that based on your race/class combination that the world makes note of and actively comments on that sets it apart.
Do you know about the Combat system? I've heard they wanna rework it for the final release. Has the combat been changed since the beginning of the EA?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Starfield is competition for BG3 on PC. It isn't competition on PS5. Staggering the release date obviously allows them to finish the PC version early and then turn to PS5 version.

So is this game NOT coming out on Xbox or something?

It will eventually once they figure out how to do split screen coop on XSS.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The audience for this game is on PC, not consoles - and it’s the platform with the two games they’re trying to avoid.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It will eventually once they figure out how to do split screen coop on XSS.

Thanks for the quick answer. Do we know if MS has some clause in play that says all games need to have the same features for XSS and XSX? Because why wait on XSS? Unless it's just a money play....

mckmas8808

I’m sure there’s a few people, but the main audience is on PC. Don’t want to lose out to Starfield (which won’t be on PlayStation) and Cyberpunk DLC.

So guys.............since this is releasing on the PS5 on the same day Starfield is releasing...........Is it possible that it can outsell Starfield in the NPD charts for the month of September?

Or do I need to stop taking crazy pills?

Topher

Gold Member
Thanks for the quick answer. Do we know if MS has some clause in play that says all games need to have the same features for XSS and XSX? Because why wait on XSS? Unless it's just a money play....

Yeah, Larian said as much. Feature parity clause requires split screen coop must be on both.

mckmas8808

Yeah, Larian said as much. Feature parity clause requires split screen coop must be on both.

This is so stupid. I swear to god it's as if MS hates their own console strategy. Or maybe I just don't get it. These are the type of clauses you'd put into place if you wanted to prove consoles should be a thing of the past.

So guys.............since this is releasing on the PS5 on the same day Starfield is releasing...........Is it possible that it can outsell Starfield in the NPD charts for the month of September?

Does NPD track PC steam sales? If not yes it’s possible. But Starfield will sell like gangbusters on steam.

Topher

Gold Member

No way this game outsells Starfield, imo.

JaksGhost

They did an even bigger blog post for Steam:

Some quick quotes:
We've said before that our goal is to bring our games to as many platforms as possible. We're optimistic about Baldur's Gate 3 on the Xbox Series X, but in order to announce and release the game on Xbox, we need to ensure that the game is performing without compromise across the entire Xbox X|S ecosystem, in multiplayer and with split-screen. We already put a lot of effort into making it work and will continue to do so. Like with the PS5 version, we'll release it when it's ready. We'll update you as soon as we can.

and here is the quote about 60fps
The PlayStation 5 version will be released roughly a week later than its originally scheduled date of August 31st. Baldur's Gate 3 is targeting 60 frames-per-second and we're close to achieving that on the platform but need a bit more extra time. We don't want to compromise on quality, and feel it would be a shame to downscale to 30fps or make other compromises to hit an arbitrary date.

We understand that folks may be disappointed with this but we're close enough to reaching new heights for RPGs on the system that the benefits of a short delay outweigh the downsides of rushing the PS5 release and having to downscale. The full Mac version will also be released at a later date, and we'll update you as soon as we have a target.

Top Bottom