• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's gate 3 Release Date is moving forward from August 31 to August 3. PlayStation version September 6

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So guys.............since this is releasing on the PS5 on the same day Starfield is releasing...........Is it possible that it can outsell Starfield in the NPD charts for the month of September?

Or do I need to stop taking crazy pills?

Hard to say. On Xbox maybe because Game Pass will cannibalize potential sales.

On PC? Not a chance.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Do you know about the Combat system? I've heard they wanna rework it for the final release. Has the combat been changed since the beginning of the EA?

I do indeed, sadly it's a bit of a marmite, you will either love or hate it. Unlike prior baldurs gate titles it's turn based, so it's closer to how D&D works. So for D&D tabletop players it will feel closer to what they play... its not radically changed over EA and actually I would say its the thing that has changed the least. I would say unlike real D&D as you level up it makes the virtual dice rolls more likely to land higher on things your character excelles in... you can still roll badly though.

If you played either of their prior divinity titles you will feel at home with a few slight changes of course as it's now D&D. If your expecting something like the old Baldurs gate titles or Icewind Dale your going to be disappointed.

Last edited:

acidagfc

My most anticipated game of the year. Gonna use Monk even though everyone says 5E's Monk is shit.
5e monk is only shit in tabletop, since you have very little to do, other than punching ppl in the face.
Then again, any pure melee class in 5e is like that.
In the crpg environment you have your whole party to manage, you won't get bored with a slightly simpler MC.

amigastar

I do indeed, sadly it's a bit of a marmite, you will either love or hate it. Unlike prior baldurs gate titles it's turn based, so it's closer to how D&D works. So for D&D tabletop players it will feel closer to what they play... its not radically changed over EA and actually I would say its the thing that has changed the least. I would say unlike real D&D as you level up it makes the virtual dice rolls more likely to land higher on things your character excelles in... you can still roll badly though.

If you played either of their prior divinity titles you will feel at home with a few slight changes of course as it's now D&D. If your expecting something like the old Baldurs gate titles or Icewind Dale your going to be disappointed.
Thanks man, appreciate it.
I'm good with turn based. Looking forward to the game.:messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

thatJohann

Ha! A reverse delay? A game being pushed forward?

How much do you wanna bet it’s gonna be a broken rushed bug fest with promises of patches to come?

It’s like admitting you’re launching an incomplete game.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Yeah, I get that. But why the odd one week delay. Have it out before Starfield in that case.

All the discourse is going to be dominated by Starfield on the 6th.

I think they will pull resources from the ps version to get the pc version out earlier.

Metnut

Pumped to play this on PS5 in 60fps. Considering how well optimized Divinity 2 was for a controller, definitely going PS5 for this over PC. Want to play this on the big TV with the surround sound.

StereoVsn

Going to wait couple if months for this one to settle initial bugs. Will wait even longer for Starfield after release due to DLSS shenanigans.

Nickolaidas

JhYh5z7.png

Fucking. Finally.

DRAGONBORN, BABY!!!

Raven117

Between getting through Zelda, FFXVI, and Diablo IV....I hope to get all that done before Starfield...Unfortunately this one will have to wait.

Ha! A reverse delay? A game being pushed forward?

How much do you wanna bet it’s gonna be a broken rushed bug fest with promises of patches to come?

It’s like admitting you’re launching an incomplete game.
This game has been in early access for over 2 years now. So if anything they've had 2 million people playtest for them.
The only thing I worry about are the complex quests, they only opened up ACT 1 so the later quests could be buggy with all the different permutations.

Also just found out the game only goes to level 12. Which disappoints me but clearly they will have DLCs later to push the the game to higher levels.

Guilty_AI

So could Starfield, but they made a creative choice.

All joking aside... the early access build was amazing, I'm just worried they cant keep it up through a whole adventure. The number of responses and choices to characters is insane.
Well, according to the devs they have:
Baldur’s Gate 3 has more cinematic dialogue than three times all three Lord of the Rings novels combined. It has 174 hours of cinematics, making it more than twice the length of every season of Game of Thrones combined.
They also mentioned how one of the new races they're adding have something like 200 tailor made responses for it.

I think they'll be fine on the content spectrum, they seem very confident in the product too, especially with how at lenght they're talking about the new stuff. However i still do worry about bugs/broken quests at later acts in the game.

Last edited:

amigastar

So, i'm able to play the game 72hours before release and i can continue after Act 1 when the 1.0 version officially launches. I think i'm gonna preorder it although i don't preorder usually.

A release date change I can get behind! WOndering whether to get it on console or PC ... traditionally I prefer RPG on PC, but I did end up playing D:OS2 with a controller ... worked surprisingly well tbh

Buggy Loop

Wait, so they're pulling the PC version ahead almost a month but releasing the PS5 version the same date as Starfield?

uhh ok lol, if it's content complete and ready to ship, have the PS5 version release in early August too then, why delay it more ?

Sony fans don’t have Starfield? RPG starved market will maybe boost sales? 🤔

Guilty_AI

A release date change I can get behind! WOndering whether to get it on console or PC ... traditionally I prefer RPG on PC, but I did end up playing D:OS2 with a controller ... worked surprisingly well tbh
I'd still recommend PC for mods.

For example, some people may be bothered by the level 12 cap, uncapped levels would probably be the first thing modders would try to add.

Guilty_AI

Wait, so they're pulling the PC version ahead almost a month but releasing the PS5 version the same date as Starfield?

uhh ok lol, if it's content complete and ready to ship, have the PS5 version release in early August too then, why delay it more ?
They said they're trying to improve performance to get 60 fps more consistently. Whole game development was basically done on PC so naturally they have extra stuff to work on the console port.
The delay was also probably to pull resources to help release earlier on PC.

samoilaaa

i dont think starfield and baldur's gate 3 have the same audience , starfield is a game for those who just want to explore and collect stuff , baldur's gate 3 is a game for those that want a good story , alot of choice and consequence , many ways to solve a problem , i bet starfield will have the same depth as fallout 4 when it comes to writing/story

Buggy Loop

i dont think starfield and baldur's gate 3 have the same audience , starfield is a game for those who just want to explore and collect stuff , baldur's gate 3 is a game for those that want a good story , alot of choice and consequence , many ways to solve a problem , i bet starfield will have the same depth as fallout 4 when it comes to writing/story

You’re describing that they’re not the same genre, but fo you really think there’s not a big overlap in userbase for these on PC?

Hell I’m an audience for both and I have the hard decision to make to see if I even start BG3 before Starfield because BG3 is probably gonna take me longer (especially during vacations away) and for sure I won’t be done with it by Starfield release, which I’m more hyped about.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is a great move and I really appreciate it....as long as it's not broken on launch. I trust Larian though. Never steered me wrong

Last edited:

Madonis

This game is going to be huge in terms of content and scale. As a fan of BG2 back in the day, I wouldn't want it any other way. Glad to play it a little earlier than expected.

Yes, I'm sure there will be bugs, but that's what patches are for. Still going to be more than worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

You’re describing that they’re not the same genre, but fo you really think there’s not a big overlap in userbase for these on PC?

Hell I’m an audience for both and I have the hard decision to make to see if I even start BG3 before Starfield because BG3 is probably gonna take me longer (especially during vacations away) and for sure I won’t be done with it by Starfield release, which I’m more hyped about.
Yeah, it's mostly the same audience. Folks who are looking forward to BG3 will be most likely playing Starfield as well.

ebevan91

Larian hasn't disappointed yet. Been staying away from the Beta for what feels like years now on purpose. Happy days ahead :)

Same here, and I had just finished or was about to do finish DOS2 when EA started for BG3. It was SO hard to not want to buy the game and jump right in after.

Now I get to experience the full game all at once.

Last edited:

amigastar

I love the idea you can play different classes where each class plays differently, Whether you choose a fighter for upclose combat or Wizard with some nice Aoe effects. I like that alot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom