• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announced - Summer 2012 [Up: BG2:EE also announced]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised that such a blatant tease at the possibility of Baldurs Gate 3 hasn't drawn more attention.

People don't want their heart ripped out and stomped on.

Annnd I just lost what remaining interest I had in this project.

Why? The original's not on Steam either. Unless Beamdog are GFWL-horrible, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm waiting for the announcement of some sort of douchebagy DRM that prevents me from buying the new version of one of my top 10 favorite games ever.

I know it's coming.

I'm waiting to have my soul crushed.

I have no trust in PC gaming any more if it doesn't come from GOG.

2) That was then, this is now -- it's not acceptable to not release on Steam these days.
Not preferable I can see. But why is it not acceptable? I could see if Steam was being conspicuously left out, but I don't know if I understand what's wrong with making it exclusive to their service.

Durante

I hate people who want to deny people the option of getting a game on the platform of their choice.
You can get it on the platform of your choice - it's PC. You may not be able to get it on your favourite distribution service, but this is like complaining that you can't buy the game at Walmart.

I hate people who want to deny people the option of getting a game on the platform of their choice.

your logic is completely flawed. Steam isn't a platform, it is a service available on your platform of choice, which happens to be PC. PC has MANY methods of obtaining games.

1) It will be.

2) That was then, this is now -- it's not acceptable to not release on Steam these days.

1) OK

2) Why on earth not? I can fully get behind the GFWL and Origin-hate, given the former's complete shite and the latter's 'anything but Steam' policy is ridiculously transparent. But to deliberately ignore something just because it's not on Steam is silly.

HoosTrax

your logic is completely flawed. Steam isn't a platform, it is a service available on your platform of choice, which happens to be PC. PC has MANY methods of obtaining games.
You're arguing over semantics. "Digital download platform/service" if you prefer. If you don't understand why some of us want it all on one service we can access from anywhere, then I don't begrudge you the option of buying it DRM free. Fair enough?

RPGCrazied

As long as it runs in widescreen resolutions, day 1. I don't think the resolution was very high when it came out. 800x600?

I don't see where you guys are getting some of your claims...this sounds something more like a reissue to me(which is cool, games should have more reissues like albums). As in, closer to what GOG does than an actual remake. Says it's 'based on the Throne of Bhaal codebase'. High resolution and improved interface would be enough to get me on board.

Lancehead

GOG is natural habitat for these enhanced editions. Steam, not so much. They'd probably get a lot more exposure if the games are on GOG.

Ventrue

I don't see where you guys are getting some of your claims...this sounds something more like a reissue to me(which is cool, games should have more reissues like albums). As in, closer to what GOG does than an actual remake. Says it's 'based on the Throne of Bhaal codebase'. High resolution and improved interface would be enough to get me on board.

The twitter account says they are adding new content (he talked about how much voice acting they will have for said content, for example).

I have an account on Steam with 200+ games.

I don't have a GoG account.

That's why.

It takes 2 mins to create an account. They have plenty of exclusive games, and you get extra stuff with almost every game. Not to mention DRM free.

It's really silly to lock yourself in to one service.

If you don't understand why some of us want it all on one service we can access from anywhere, then I don't begrudge you the option of buying it DRM free. Fair enough?
I understand why people would prefer to keep their games contained in one service. I don't understand why you would make claims like "it's not acceptable to not release on Steam these days." It may be imprudent for those who favor maximizing potential revenue, but it's not unacceptable just because some gamers are adamant about sticking with one distributor.

You're arguing over semantics. "Digital download platform/service" if you prefer. If you don't understand why some of us want it all on one service we can access from anywhere, then I don't begrudge you the option of buying it DRM free. Fair enough?

I get why you want it on a single service, but your argument was completely asinine. You assume everyone loves steam as much as you do.

i doubt this will be decent in any way.
I can see why it would fail to live up to becoming the new definitive version -- especially if it doesn't incorporate natively or allow for compatibility with popular mods. However, it doesn't sound like they're rocking the boat too much on this one. It seems like they'd almost have to try to make something terrible given what they're working with. Given that, releasing something "decent" hardly seems unattainable.

Nairume

Banned
I can see why it would fail to live up to becoming the new definitive version -- especially if it doesn't incorporate natively or allow for compatibility with popular mods. However, it doesn't sound like they're rocking the boat too much on this one. It seems like they'd almost have to try to make something terrible given what they're working with. Given that, releasing something "decent" hardly seems unattainable.

Oster actually said that they are going to try to find a way to allow old mods to work with this.

Hex

Banned
So we have to wait another week to get some solid details on these games? I find this marketing a bit ridiculous.

Fine next time they won't mention a thing.
Why they would want to announce anything is beyond me.
Is it because there was no ambiguous countdown clock to a teaser of an announcement?
I fucking hate this gen of "gamers".

"How dare you tell us in a way that I do not approve of that you are bringing back some of the greatest games ever !"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
tre32ks6.png

Information keeps rolling in

I'll hold out for the Laserbunny edition.

Wedge7

I told myself I wouldnt get excited and that it was just going to be some crappy port.

Was cautiously hopeful for just a updated resolution and small tweaks, never expected them to actually add new content.

Optimism....rising.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd definitely be interested in this if it's well done. The BG games have some pretty unwieldy interfaces, after all.

I'm not sure what to think about this Beamdog thing, though. I hope the games come out on Steam and what not, too.

i doubt this will be decent in any way.

It's Baldur's Gate. After starting from such a strong base, they'd have to fuck up so much for nothing to be decent. I'd be really surprised if they messed with the gameplay in any significant way. It'll be good for a new generation of gamers to be introduced to what is, in my opinion, one of the best game series of all time.

Emitan

If a remake/update/whatever to what's considered one of the greatest games of all time is unappealing to you because of what service it's tied to, fine. Just don't expect others to share your beliefs.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I wanna believe! I recently tried getting back into BG, but I'd rather wait for the enhanced version now. very curious about the supposed new content they're adding.

ArjanN

Fine next time they won't mention a thing.
Why they would want to announce anything is beyond me.
Is it because there was no ambiguous countdown clock to a teaser of an announcement?
I fucking hate this gen of "gamers".

"How dare you tell us in a way that I do not approve of that you are bringing back some of the greatest games ever !"

Huh?

But there was ambiguous countdown clock to a teaser of an announcement.

Violet_0

Banned
Oster just confirmed new characters.

Oh, this is exciting. I haven't played the first BG for more than maybe 5 or 6 hours, but updated graphics & UI, minor tweaks to the gameplay and new content (such as new characters) will sway me to give it another try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom