• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announced - Summer 2012 [Up: BG2:EE also announced]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestami

I'm still baffled by the people who prefers DRM (steam) over non-DRM. If you need the fucking steam overlay you can open the game from steam.

I love steam. I have like 200 games on it but this valve/steam obsession that pc gamers are having is horrifying to me.

Aeana

I guess it's been expressed already, but if they can improve the interfaces then I'll definitely get these. I don't think really major changes are necessary, but a couple of issues with the UI always suck the fun out of replays of these games for me.

ArjanN

I'm still baffled by the people who prefers DRM (steam) over non-DRM. If you need the fucking steam overlay you can open the game from steam.

I love steam. I have like 200 games on it but this valve/steam obsession that pc gamers are having is horrifying to me.

It's because Steam also has a bunch of other advantages.

AEREC

Because I like having all my games in one place. I dont like the idea of having to create another account for a DD service that hasn't really proven itself.

If this doesnt come to steam then I will most likely pass since I still have the originals.

Well, I agree that it would behoove them to release it elsewhere. However, is there something horrible about Beamdog that I don't know about? Why not just buy it from there?

Nothing against Beamdog per se, but I'm against the practice that every game company having their own DD service on the PC to sell THEIR games. I understand the concerns EA, Valve, and others have of competitors putting their DD stores inside of games sold on other peoples stores. It's like having a Bestbuy kiosk inside of a Gamestop.

I'm not pro exclusive games on any service, even Valve games on Steam. If I uninstall a game I'd like to know that I'll be able to remember what service I used to buy it so that I can reinstall it someday.

Valve made their games use to Steam so that they could jump start the downloadable PC game era. (also available to purchase retail + a few other DD services now)
EA made their PC games use Origin so that they could directly sell DLC and get their own store up and running. (also available to purchase retail + places not Steam)
Blizzard made their PC games use Battle.net so that they could have tighter control over online competitive gaming. (also available to purchase retail)

Beamdog offers fast download speeds and the ability to purchase HD remakes of old Bioware games. (ONLY available on Beamdog)

NIN90

New Baldur's Gate title releasing this summer and all of GAF is moaning about the DD service.

Never change GAF.

coopolon

This is really confusing to me, unless they are consolizing it.

Why would we need a rerelease? You can already import it into BG2 via Tutu, get high resolutions that look good, and there are tons of mods out there that already add lots of quality and varied content, improve combat, ai, etc.

I guess they're going to add new towns and wilderness areas? That sounds okay for BG1, but BG2 DOES NOT need more content. That game is already absurdly overstuffed with amazing content.

Durante

New Baldur's Gate title releasing this summer and all of GAF is moaning about the DD service.

Never change GAF.
I really think DD platforms should be included in the general port whining rule.

IMHO it's actually much worse, since the people perpetrating it actually do have the possibility of playing the game in question.

Why would we need a rerelease? You can already import it into BG2 via Tutu, get high resolutions that look good, and there are tons of mods out there that already add lots of quality and varied content, improve combat, ai, etc.
One thing I hope for is that they make the UI (including, but not limited to, the text) scale better to very high resolutions. It gets too small at 1920x1200.

Nairume

Banned
This is really confusing to me, unless they are consolizing it.

I guess they're going to add new towns and wilderness areas? That sounds okay for BG1, but BG2 DOES NOT need more content. That game is already absurdly overstuffed with amazing content.

They've said that this is a part of a larger plan.

AlexBasch

Which is why I don't hate Origin that much. :| I just download the games through their service (thanks to Amazon awesome discounts) and launch them as non-Steam games, guess what: DA:O, Dead Space 2 and Dragon Age 2 display the Steam Overlay just fine and best of all, you don't need to keep Origin running at all.

I don't know, I know Steam gets me the patches for me and whatnot, but if I find a game I like on another place and can run through Steam, I won't say no to that. But then again, I know people who turned down the current UbiSoft DRM-Free sale on Amazon because the games couldn't be redeemed through Steam.

Wildesy

Fucking Beamdog.

Do they honestly expect to make more money by making it exclusive to their no-name DD service than if they released it on Amazon, GOG, Steam, etc.?

NEWS FLASH: They wont.

I'm sure one of their main goals of making this Enhanced Edition in the first place is to get people using their distribution service.

It's probably the only reason, because I mean, who the fuck are Beamdog...?

stuminus3

What is this bizarro world where everything we ever loved about gaming is teh d00med thanks to Nintendogs and Angry Birds yet here we are with a potentially delicious remake of two of the greatest PC-exclusive RPGs ever made.

I'm sure one of their main goals of making this Enhanced Edition in the first place is to get people using their distribution service.

It's probably the only reason, because I mean, who the fuck are Beamdog...?

Well, it didn't help when they released MDK2 HD last October. Lower profile game, I know, but I think it's the only exclusive they have at the moment.

syko de4d

i see they already remaked MDK 2, here are some comparison Pics

MDK said:
MDK2HD_Compare_CS1A_001.jpg

MDK2HD_Compare_CS1C_001.jpg

Is a Bioware game? I've never heard of it, is it good?

spirity

I read the news, I nearly cried in joy. I read the thread and thought I missed out on something. Like there was some bad news.

Guys, its Baldurs Gate 2, enhanced, with new content.

Guys, its Baldurs Gate 2, with new content.

Guys, its Baldurs Gate 2

I am so happy right now.

What are the odds of XBLA versions or Xbox 360 discs of each one or both combined? I am interesting to hear which platforms it will be coming to next week.

Wildesy

I read the news, I nearly cried in joy. I read the thread and thought I missed out on something. Like there was some bad news.

Guys, its Baldurs Gate 2

I am so happy right now.

It's enhanced only in name at this stage.

coopolon

Guys, its Baldurs Gate 2

I am so happy right now.

The question is what are they enhancing. BG1 and 2 have one of the greatest mod communities in gaming history. The games have been vastly enhanced by these mods (especially BG1.) Hell, Ascension is pretty major for BG2 as well.

So we already have an enhanced BG1 and enhanced BG2. What are they improving over what the mod community has already accomplished?

durante said:
One thing I hope for is that they make the UI (including, but not limited to, the text) scale better to very high resolutions. It gets too small at 1920x1200.

That's true, but there are mods that increase at least dialogue text size (I think, there's definitely one for PST). It is sometimes hard to read the numbers in the UI at 1200p though. I can never read how many items I have in a stack.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You can get it on the platform of your choice - it's PC. You may not be able to get it on your favourite distribution service, but this is like complaining that you can't buy the game at Walmart.
In this case it'd be more like complaining that you can only buy the game at Gamestop.

Varna

So we already have an enhanced BG1 and enhanced BG2. What are they improving over what the mod community has already accomplished?

This is what I said earlier. They said they are working with the original source code right? They would be very wise to figure out how to keep some compatibility with mods.

nickcv

after all the news we got i'm actually getting hyped from this...

i'd like to know what their plans are regarding localization and price...
i'll be waiting for next week screenshots!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It can't be too substantial content they're adding, otherwise why not just call it Baldur's Gate Something Else and release it as a new expandalone, hyping the return to form for the CRPG genre to hell and back in all the usual circles with an actually new product instead of a game everyone has played? Any gameplay/visual changes they made wouldn't feel like they may sour the original either. I'd be more inclined to buy that if it was good, than feel I have to buy something I already own twice just to get a few new bits and pieces. They kinda missed the boat with gog and the retail and dd collections making them available dirt cheap.

nickcv

Can't be too substantial content they're adding, otherwise why not just call it Baldur's Gate Something Else and release it as a new expandalone? Any gameplay/visual changes they made wouldn't feel like they may sour the original either. I'd be more inclined to buy that if it was good, than feel I have to buy something I already own twice just to get a few new bits and pieces. They kinda missed the boat with gog and the retail and dd collections making them available to pretty much everyone interested, dirt cheap.

if they make a good job with all the features they are talking about and are not too greedy i think this could turn out to be a mild success...

gabbo

I do not like the Beamdog client at all (Only reason I use it is because White Gold: Xenus 2, and Precursors were on their for 2 bucks at one time and with the fan enhancements). The thing is a piece of shit, but it does its job and I may look into this down the line. Finally grab the MDK2HD they released a while back along with it.

I'll wait and see of course, this could be horrible, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Wtf am I seeing here, MDK2 HD? What sorcery is this

Also you've never heard of this what is this I dont even

Beamdog own the rights to some great Bioware games, and have been HD'ing them for a while now as a means to draw people to their download service.

nickcv

I do not like the Beamdog client at all (Only reason I use it is because White Gold: Xenus 2, and Precursors were on their for 2 bucks at one time and with the fan enhancements). The thing is a piece of shit, but it does its job and I may look into this down the line. Finally grab the MDK2HD they released a while back along with it.

I'll wait and see of course, this could be horrible, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Beamdog own the rights to some great Bioware games, and have been HD'ing them for a while now as a means to draw people to their download service.

i never used their client, is it there just to force some kind of drm? does it offer any interesting feature?

So, their site is actually working now.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

That sounds pretty extensive.

Fugu

I'm a huge Baldur's Gate fan and I'm wondering what they could possibly be enhancing, as has previously mentioned in this thread. People are saying things like resolution and textures, but the game supports literally any resolution you want out of the box and most of the game is 2D anyway.

The new content is cool, though.

gabbo

i never used their client, is it there just to force some kind of drm? does it offer any interesting feature?

Like Steam, it's a kind of forced DRM but without all the features and a ugly design/layout, and so on. At least you can define your own install and download directories. So I guess it has that going for it.
I don't mind so much since I only use it for those two games that I mentioned. If I had to use it all the time, I'd probably bitch on their forums non-stop about how it needs this or that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom