• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bamco Producer - "Which Ace Combat/Ridge Racer remake do you want to see?"

I'm joining this thread late, and sadly missed the Ridge Racer vote. Glad to see it ended on one of the PS1 classics I love the most at least! Though I would also have loved a Rage remake!

Looking through posts here and talking style and atmosphere, some thoughts come to mind of the early series:

RR1 (Arcade + PS1), RR2 (Arcade) and RRR (PS1) all have this bright, colourful and virbant look to them, distinctly looking typical like an arcade 3D title from the early/mid nineties. They are also all very typical built for arcades in their options and gameplay type. One could add RR64 (Nintendo 64, and RR DS which is the same game for the DS) as a later and slightly RRT4 influenced take on continuing this artstyle and simplicity.

Rave Racer (Arcade), however, takes a step into a more gritty and realistic looking style. While maintaining the classic RR feel and look. It's artstyle is taken to it's gritty and dark limits in Rage Racer (PS1).

Rage, imo, sets a new era for the series. It's a home version game built from the ground up with this in mind. Gone are short races and a simply menus and replaced is an actual campaign, complete with a moody intro text and CGI. It marks the step from the typical early fifth gen games that were straight up arcade conversions into the more time consuming home versions with proper singplayer experiences. Rage Racer is one of the few racing games I have truly felt atmosphere around. It feels moody and atmospheric, and features 4 really different courses with tons of trackside detail and variation. Racing feels dangerous, like you are on the edge, and a huge challenge as you progress each car with upgrades. the tracks have some really brutal corners and narrow sections that become real challenging at high speeds!

RRT4 maintained the realistic look, but stepped down the upgrade part (sadly!) and went back to a more colourful palette. It's typically influenced by Gran Turismo, like many other racers of the time, with a little to much focus on having 200+ cars. The gameplay is easier and more classic RR again. The singleplayer is built around joining a team and reading stories during each season.

Both Rage and RRT4 are amazing in their own ways, I'd love a combination of both!

I've posted a more length post on my blog about the early series: http://residentdante.blogspot.no/2014/09/looking-back-rage-racer-and-ridge-racer.html (for anybody interested, though it's only my opinion).

I'd love to see Ridge Racer 2 for the PSP added to the PS Vita library though. It contained EVERY track from RR1, RRR, Rave, Rage and RRT4, unlike a selection in the first PSP game. It's an amazing collection with "remastered" tracks. Though they loose some of their original and atmospheric look from the individual games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm joining this thread late, and sadly missed the Ridge Racer vote. Glad to see it ended on one of the PS1 classics I love the most at least! Though I would also have loved a Rage remake!

Looking through posts here and talking style and atmosphere, some thoughts come to mind of the early series:

RR1 (Arcade + PS1), RR2 (Arcade) and RRR (PS1) all have this bright, colourful and virbant look to them, distinctly looking typical like an arcade 3D title from the early/mid nineties. They are also all very typical built for arcades in their options and gameplay type. One could add RR64 (Nintendo 64, and RR DS which is the same game for the DS) as a later and slightly RRT4 influenced take on continuing this artstyle and simplicity.

Rave Racer (Arcade), however, takes a step into a more gritty and realistic looking style. While maintaining the classic RR feel and look. It's artstyle is taken to it's gritty and dark limits in Rage Racer (PS1).

Rage, imo, sets a new era for the series. It's a home version game built from the ground up with this in mind. Gone are short races and a simply menus and replaced is an actual campaign, complete with a moody intro text and CGI. It marks the step from the typical early fifth gen games that were straight up arcade conversions into the more time consuming home versions with proper singplayer experiences. Rage Racer is one of the few racing games I have truly felt atmosphere around. It feels moody and atmospheric, and features 4 really different courses with tons of trackside detail and variation. Racing feels dangerous, like you are on the edge, and a huge challenge as you progress each car with upgrades. the tracks have some really brutal corners and narrow sections that become real challenging at high speeds!

RRT4 maintained the realistic look, but stepped down the upgrade part (sadly!) and went back to a more colourful palette. It's typically influenced by Gran Turismo, like many other racers of the time, with a little to much focus on having 200+ cars. The gameplay is easier and more classic RR again. The singleplayer is built around joining a team and reading stories during each season.

Both Rage and RRT4 are amazing in their own ways, I'd love a combination of both!

I've posted a more length post on my blog about the early series: http://residentdante.blogspot.no/2014/09/looking-back-rage-racer-and-ridge-racer.html (for anybody interested, though it's only my opinion).

I'd love to see Ridge Racer 2 for the PSP added to the PS Vita library though. It contained EVERY track from RR1, RRR, Rave, Rage and RRT4, unlike a selection in the first PSP game. It's an amazing collection with "remastered" tracks. Though they loose some of their original and atmospheric look from the individual games.

Beautiful post ResidentDante. Eloquently put.

Winners

Ace Combat Poll

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

Ridge Racer Poll

Ridge Racer Type 4
amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

Meh.

AC5 end game blew AC4 end game out of the water.

The epic in-city battle under the dark sky. The exceptionally epic tunnel run. The incredibly epic YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO passing. The rush as the door closes in.

And THEN you shot the crap out of a falling satellite. With THIS playing on the background.

Not to mention the epic Whitebird fight, the stadium fight, the submarine boss, the stealth mission, etc etc. So fucking epic, all of them.

GOD I really LOVE Ace Combat 5.

Agreed. I do love Ace Combat 4 but man Unsung War rose the bar each step of the way. So the entire experience is memorable instead of me just pointing towards a singular element of the game.

I am happy it won.

Sorral

I was really hoping for an HD collection that has AC 4, 5, and 0. But this is definitely better than nothing and it shows that they are finally doing something.

Hopefully AC5 sells a good bit that it convinces them to do 4 and 0 as well.

AmyS

I stitched together DieHard GameFan's review of Rage Racer, although the quality of the scan is really low.

Edit: much better scans!
5xohxq5.jpg

0NICVUc.jpg

Edit: Here's GameFan's earliest coverage of Rage Racer (November 1996).

rrxTUzF.jpg

And here is GamePro's preview:

KscMPPT.jpg

A-V-B

I stitched together DieHard GameFan's review of Rage Racer, although the quality of the scan is really low.

w32wna4.jpg

KWlK4o5.jpg

If they go in the direction of RR4 for their next game, I'd still love to see the car customization from Rage Racer cross over.

Chirotera

Banned
All of them. I want all of the prior Ace Combat games remastered. Or at the least their PS2 offerings;

AC0
AC4
AC5

I'd buy the shit out of that. Bundled or no.

Juicy Bob

Am I super late to the party or super stupid because I can't find RR or RRREVOLUTION on the UK PSN store? Are they even up there?

Synth

Can i vote "not a remaster kkthxbye "?
Because this is really starting to get out of hand..

In Ace Combat case, Ace Combat 7 is happening too.

In Ridge Racer's case... well, tbh at this point it's best not to get choosy about it, lol. Let a remake set the series on the right course again after Ridge Racer 6, then Ridge Racer 7 and then fucking Ridge Racer Unbounded all had a hand in sending the series' gameplay off the deep end. I'm not the world's biggest Ridge Racer Type 4 fan... but at least that game if it becomes popular again would revert the series to its pre-boost-stupidity state. It'd be like how Street Fighter IV undid what Street Fighter III did.

Am I super late to the party or super stupid because I can't find RR or RRREVOLUTION on the UK PSN store? Are they even up there?

The European PSN store is complete shit for PS1 games.

We only have RRT4 and the first RR for PSP there for getting your older RR cravings.

If they go in the direction of RR4 for their next game, I'd still love to see the car customization from Rage Racer cross over.

If I am not mistaken, Ridge Racer Type 4 does already have a decal maker like Rage Racer did as well as custom colours. Though it was really limited.

AmyS

It's like I'm back in the nineties! Thanks so much for this!

You're welcome. However, I clearly also remember a GameFan preview of Rage Racer, where they mention Rave Racer and for the life of me, I cannot find it :(

Edit: the text is so blurry, I missed it lol

JamboGT

Missed this, I want the AC PS2 Trilogy, all of them please :p

And Type 4 is a good RR choice :) I really like Rage Racer as well though.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
came for RR, sad

first couple of games are by far teh best, by a cosmo light year mile

R4 is sort of garbage honestly.

I don't agree entire but I will say the first game, as in the very first Ridge Racer ARCADE cabinet game, is very underrated. Great controls and the drifting was never *exactly* duplicated from RR2 onwards.

isamu

I guess I'm ok with Type 4 of those that were available to vote on (I'd have been horrified if RR7 won)... Would have preferred Ridge Racer V though, which had easily the best gameplay in a Ridge Racer game.

The one thing about part V that I really loved was the design of the tracks, and how driving around them properly with each vehicle required a different strategy. The whole Freeway environment with different on ramps and overpasses was a real neat touch and something I wouldn't mind seeing return to the franchise.

Here's a fun fact....RRV runs really well in PCSX2 and looks pretty good at 6x native resolution if your PC can handle it. Furthermore, the game can be played with a wheel and if you set Lilypad to emulate the DS2, you'll get rumble to your wheel. JoGcon emulation hasn't been developed yet, unfortunately :(

Synth

The one thing about part V that I really loved was the design of the tracks, and how driving around them properly with each vehicle required a different strategy. The whole Freeway environment with different on ramps and overpasses was a real neat touch and something I wouldn't mind seeing return to the franchise.

Here's a fun fact....RRV runs really well in PCSX2 and looks pretty good at 6x native resolution if your PC can handle it. Furthermore, the game can be played with a wheel and if you set Lilypad to emulate the DS2, you'll get rumble to your wheel. JoGcon emulation hasn't been developed yet, unfortunately :(

Have they fixed the garbled textures yet?

muteki

The original Ridge Racer is still my favorite, but I'm probably biased as it is the only one I had originally. I got R4 to play on my vita and while I enjoy it, the simple pick up and play of the first one and the music/voice over get me everything.

VariantX

The possibility of a 1080p 60 RRT4 for todays consoles. It will likely have online functionality added too. Holy crap, what an age we live in.

isamu

Have they fixed the garbled textures yet?

To be honest I don't know. I haven't messed around with PCSX2 in ages but I'm gonna start using it again once I get my desktop repaired. Like you, I really hope those textures, particular the cars, have been fixed. They always annoyed the hell outta me.

SliChillax

Can i vote "not a remaster kkthxbye "?
Because this is really starting to get out of hand..
Omfg we're getting more games this is getting out of hand... I mean really? So you'd rather have Ace Combat 7 only instead of AC7 plus a remaster? What a stupid way of thinking. Stop shit posting.

isamu

RIDGE RACER IS COMING BACK?

OH MY JESUS YES....

*MAYBE* coming back. Let's wait until we get a response from Mr Yoshinoyanakasaki or whatever his name is. Fingers are firmly crossed!

isamu

Real Racing Roots '99 was such a simple but brilliant thing to add to the Ridge Racer series. By providing a context and a basic narrative to the main Grand Prix mode, it made the silly little three lap races you do feel like they were actually important and meant something to someone.

Also, I totally had a crush on Sophie Chevalier as a kid...

Who is Sophie Chevalier?

jett

D-Member

RIDGE RACER V DA BESS

No bullshit. No gimmicks. No 300 variations of 10 cars. No 30fps. No nitrous garbage. No easy mode on rails drifting.

Just driving sideways.

Like a fucking boss.

Ridge Racer V da bess.

Synth

RIDGE RACER V DA BESS

No bullshit. No gimmicks. No 300 variations of 10 cars. No 30fps. No nitrous garbage. No easy mode on rails drifting.

Just driving sideways.

Like a fucking boss.

Ridge Racer V da bess.

The truth right here.

AmyS

Damn, it seems I totally forgot to include the EDGE prescreen and NG alpha previews of Rage Racer - before the official title was known.

elBliex.jpg

hl1aJqA.jpg

Yet another excuse to bump this thread, lol.

isamu

Type 4 FTW. Was the soundtrack created entirely by Namco, so they shouldn't have any license problem?

It was created entirely by them, and I'm glad it was because it's a killer OST.

isamu

I get the feeling the next Ridge Racer game from Bamco will not only look better but will be more popular than GT Sport.

I don't agree entire but I will say the first game, as in the very first Ridge Racer ARCADE cabinet game, is very underrated. Great controls and the drifting was never *exactly* duplicated from RR2 onwards.

Yeah, the style of it is great. I want that look for many tracks but different locations. Not into the new track style recently or R4

Top Bottom