• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bamco Producer - "Which Ace Combat/Ridge Racer remake do you want to see?"

Alright, nah... you've lost me.

Even when I look back on it, Type 4 is a masterpiece in terms of audiovisual presentation. For that generation's racers, I'd probably only place Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 over it.
I'm lost as well, Type 4's cohesive presentation is lightyears better than RR, RR2 and RRR - even compared to other titles of the era like Daytona USA they've aged poorly whereas RRT4 is one of the few PS1 racers (like CTR) which have aged like a fine wine.

The typo art, the black/orange color scheme, the implementation of visual novel aspects (Sophie Chevalier <3), the fabulous cut-scenes showing new cars coming on you showroom, the gorgeous soundtrack... I never felt this classy atmosphere again. RRT4 is a piece of art, a artistic and innovative interpretation of a dreamed racing world.

This game is representing a golden age in term of artistic development on PS1, going closer of other nostalgic PS1 creations I also have in head like this game or this menu.
I agree with absolutely everything you wrote.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member

<3

Sometimes, I'm thinking of what could be a new Ridge Racer Type X. I'm thinking of a RR7 (or RR PSP) gameplay, car damages maybe, gorgeous classy maps, story involving some love story drama with Sophie Chevalier (or someone else for sure) and the player, with a sort of twist involving a big car crash of something like this (thinking of the Ayrton Senna crash and all the mediatization around it...). I don't know. There is plenty to do to create something unique using the good old creative assets implemented in RRT4. I'm dreaming too much.

I should play to Aurelien Regard's "The Next Penelope", I always thought this game looked like something near of what I always dreamed about RRTX.

~Cross~

Meh? Lol. 4,5 and zero were all epic. "Meh" isn't a term that should be associated with any of them.

For me, rex tremendae + agnus dei during that last fight was never surpassed. Equaled maybe, but not surpassed.

After playing 5 its pretty hard to get hype for 4. In terms of insanity the penultimate mission in AC5 is already a combination of the best missions in 4, siege of farbanti and megalith. The SOLG is a straight up more epic final weapon than the megalith.

Although I enjoyed the still picture storyline in 4 being narrated by a random person recounting his personal story and how the pilot affects him, it still doesn't hold a candle to the entire Razgriz mythos and how it parallels the pilots in AC5.

I agree, for me RRT4 is one of these game bringing innovations inside a certain genre.
Speaking about the racing gameplay, I must say I didn't really enjoyed it this much back at the time. Honestly, I'm playing and enjoying this game due to all the global artistic creation (graphical/musical) created around it. The typo art, the black/orange color scheme, the implementation of visual novel aspects (Sophie Chevalier <3), the fabulous cut-scenes showing new cars coming on your showroom, the gorgeous soundtrack... I never felt this classy atmosphere again. RRT4 is a piece of art, a artistic and innovative interpretation of a dreamed racing world.

This game is representing a golden age in term of artistic development on PS1, going closer of other nostalgic PS1 creations I also have in head like this game or this menu.

A complete remake of RRT4 taking note of these elements would be... This would be my Shenmue 3 I think.

So it's all fluff and lacks real substance.

Tagyhag

I think AC 4 had a better story and soundtrack than 5, but I wouldn't be bummed if it won as well.

I hope 6 isn't forgotten as well.

Type 4 is the worse entry in the series when you get passed the new game engine feel it gave. Just isn't as fun to drive and lost the feeing of RR like the switch from bungie to 343.

Atleast they are thinking of doing a new RR but doing the same thing they have been doing isn't what I would have hoped for a new RR.

I always like to think a game is popular because people liked what it started as, if not you wouldn't ever get a 2, 3 an 7

Originally Posted by Synth

It's one of the clearest examples of style over substance imo.

for sure, thats probably why a game like that will come out in a generation full of those games

Glowsquid

I assume Ridge Racer V is not an option because it's already a near-perfect Ridge Racer and cannot be considerably improved*

*though I really could use a quick race mode so that I can actually use the boss cars outside of that one race...

We only ever got a butchered version of Ace Combat 3. This is one of the few games I truly want t osee a remake of.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
So it's all fluff and lacks real substance.

Gameplay-wise you mean ?
Yeah... I don't know. I must say I wasn't a big fan of the racing part, mostly because of the car's handling/physics. Sure that Gran Turismo 1 was maybe funnier for me on this point (even if... we can't really compare these 2 games). But Ridge Racer 1 was basically the same if I'm correct. I should play it again, I don't remember the handling very well.
But anyway, I had way more feels playing RRT4, mostly due to all the creation around it (as said before). That's what I loved the most.

Nooooooooooooooo....

:D Well, I must say I like it, it's fast, dynamic, enjoyable. But... It's maybe too fast for a game like RRT4, where the atmosphere should be maybe more "calm" than RR7.
You can replace RR7 (or RR PSP) gameplay by any form of nice and fun drifting gameplay (but not RR Unbounded-like please, it felt like a Soap).

mollipen

Either Ridge Racer 2 (the psp game) or type 4. I'd rather get RR2 because that has all the best tracks from every Ridge Racer game anyway. It's an amazing game.

I'm making my second Vita dedicated to my Japanese PSN account in part to put Ridge Racer 2 PSP on it. I have the English-language Asian UMD release, and it's damned criminal that game never came to NA, especially as it's already translated.

I love Type 4 to death, but RR2 PSP brings together so much of what made the home releases great that, yeah, that'd be the best choice.

Though, I'd love to see how a Type 4 remake would work on current generation hardware.

mao2

I'm making my second Vita dedicated to my Japanese PSN account in part to put Ridge Racer 2 PSP on it. I have the English-language Asian UMD release, and it's damned criminal that game never came to NA, especially as it's already translated.

I love Type 4 to death, but RR2 PSP brings together so much of what made the home releases great that, yeah, that'd be the best choice.

Though, I'd love to see how a Type 4 remake would work on current generation hardware.
Ridge Racer 2 looks great in HD (running on an emulator). A simple HD remaster would be most welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaXGQMwLiVw

AmyS

Man, I sure didn't like how Namco turned Rave Racer's City track to night on the PSP version, Midtown Expressway.

gNLgTXl.jpg
yOcy8QN.png

m50sZZR.jpg

The low res textures didn't help either. On the other hand, the PSP version had two additional tracks based on Rave Racer that weren't in the original 1995 arcade game.

Oh, good, Ridge Racer 4 won.

I still go back to R4 every now and then. I just did a couple months ago! The story mode was a really cool idea, I'd love to see them just, like... add more stories to the remake.

What can I say. I'm more of a Ridge Racer guy. I can't remember every little game announcement. Besides, AC peaked at 4, but I still don't want a remake.

The only scenario that might make sense for a remake is AC 3 since they botched the non-Japanese versions of the original. But honestly I feel like that boat has sailed.

I'm lost as well, Type 4's cohesive presentation is lightyears better than RR, RR2 and RRR - even compared to other titles of the era like Daytona USA they've aged poorly whereas RRT4 is one of the few PS1 racers (like CTR) which have aged like a fine wine.

Daytona HD looked great. I don't think Daytona has aged poorly at all.

I'm quite surprised you guys didn't get Ridge Racer 2, it had a standard retail release in Europe.

Daytona HD looked great. I don't think Daytona has aged poorly at all.
I was implying Daytona has aged well in comparison despite being released in the same year.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
RRT4 is a fine game, but it's not what I think of when I think of Ridge Racer. RRV is my favorite arcade racer ever. It's basically perfect. No fluff. That, minus jaggies, in high def is my ideal racing game.

:D Well, I must say I like it, it's fast, dynamic, enjoyable. But... It's maybe too fast for a game like RRT4, where the atmosphere should be maybe more "calm" than RR7.
You can replace RR7 (or RR PSP) gameplay by any form of nice and fun drifting gameplay (but not RR Unbounded-like please, it felt like a Soap).

The problem I think many have with RR's gameplay from Ridge Racers on is that it's basically Ridge Racer simplified. The drifting was made in a way where it felt like you had to intentionally mess up in order for it not to complete. And obviously a big part of the challenge in RR is getting that perfect drift around a corner (depending on if you chose a drift or grip car). For me, the perfect RR would be Rage Racer's gameplay combined with Ridge Racer Type 4's aesthetics and features. Rage's gameplay is just so good, but it's perhaps the weakest in the series from a visual and audio perspective (although Silver Stream is fantastic and wouldn't be out of place on RRT4's soundtrack). I think as it stands RRT4 is the closest to being the perfect game in the series because of how meaty it is along with how it looks and obviously how it sounds. So it makes sense to use it as a base to build around if they ever did revive the franchise.

Shin-Ra

They should remake everyone's favourite RR, RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED.

It needs to be 30fps, with a really RAW style, heavy combat and REAL carz!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
How did I miss this thread?

if they give us *ANY* new Ridge Racer that resembles the old school ones I'm gonna piss shit and cum SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!!!!! That is how much I'm starving for a new RR game! Make for PC and PS4, give it cross gameplay support, up to 100 racers multiplayer on the track, proper and TRUE force feedback support, Oculus Rift/VIVE Support, spectator support, and graphics identical to the "Here's what an RR game can look like in 2025" demo they showed at E3 a few years ago.

Do this Bamco and I will LOVE YOU LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either Ridge Racer 2 (the psp game) or type 4. I'd rather get RR2 because that has all the best tracks from every Ridge Racer game anyway. It's an amazing game.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE YOUR POST MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU, THE VOICE OF REASON????

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
The isamu we know and love.

RR4 was balls out awesome. Wacky car designs, funky music, great track design.. Love the observatory track. I was playing the shit out of RR4 and Wip3out back to back in highschool.

AC4 didn't have the crazy soundtrack shenanigans of AC2/3 but shines in all other aspects. Dat harbour assault. Good memories.

Hope something comes from this, remakes of these games actually make a whole lot more sense to me then transitions to current gen from last gen.

Top Bottom