• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bamco Producer - "Which Ace Combat/Ridge Racer remake do you want to see?"

dracula_x

I don't want to see remakes at all. And considering how successful all of their free-to-play franchise titles performed, I do not see the justification other than cashing in. This is exactly the kind of business practice that should not be rewarded by consumers.
Well, they announced Ace Combat 7 about four months ago.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Half the game was missing. (It was 2 discs in Japan, 1 in the States). If I recall a lot of cut-scenes especially. I played the Japanese one and it was GLORIOUS.

I just looked it up on the Ace Combat wiki after posting, I had no idea, and likely didn't notice as I was quite young so wouldn't have known about the original release advertising and then the cut content. Shame though.

SkylineRKR

I have JP Electrosphere. Its good but the gameplay was actually somewhat awful, I had issues with steering around. It felt better in 2 and the PS2 games. The story is very cyberpunk, interesting but I could see why they didn't bother to translate it all back then.

As far as the PS2 games go, I think 5 is good but also somewhat overrated. It had a shitload of banter that started to get on my nerves. AC4 had a lot of ground targets I think, which I never really enjoyed. I think I liked Zero the most.

As for Ridge Racer, Type 4 was great but the collect a car was dumb; forcing you to finish 2nd etc. I think I liked Rage more.

For Ridge Racer, it's a tied between Ridge Racer Revolution and Type 4

For Ace Combat, it's gotta be Ace Combat 3 with redone Anime cutscenes or bust.

The PC Master Race was robbed.

1ToTHwS.jpg

Yo someone needs to find the guy that wrote this and let him know that there's a typo in his 20 year old printed article.

"Not according to video logic, which ascertains that the complete version will fun at 30 fps on a Pentium 133".

:p

Reading this old tech stuff is amusing though. Interesting to see journalists speculate relative to how right / wrong they were about movements in the industry.

The issues with r4 could be fixed with new hardware, bad resolution and trying to push the hardware too mch but honestly I'd rather see more of the original ridge racer style and gameplay.

More courses like that would look and feel insane with a semi update with incredible IQ and 1080p

I'dd be fine with a very similar look as long as they enhanced the IQ to look amazing and maybe a mode that has more up to date post RR6 textures. Either way, like those old course designs a lot more than the recent stuff.

I think flat shaded cars can look incredible with increase in IQ and polygon counts. People think solid shades of colors look bad but that isn't exactly true nor is it true. When you think of textures you can get a nice blend of artistic styles that still look good.

I'd hope to keep the art style and crank the IQ a lot more than say this, and maybe a mode that uses textures a little closer to the original

I'd want the new game, tracks to look like this but a bit better

Ridge%20Racer%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSCUS-94300%5D-front.jpg
which artistically is more fun and intereting to me than any of the RR games.

Need a current gen RR. there are some good racing games out but we're missing a "pure arcade non-realistic power slide around EVERY corner you can".

So definitely give me some RR remakes (with updated features like online play?)

I'm ready for "Move Me" and "Moving in Circles" to come back into my life

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I can easily tell what the first 3 RR games are, but what's the last one?

Also, I'd think having a Racers 2 remake would probably be for the best. Tremendous amount of tracks. Hell, I'd settle for a RR7 port, but with VR support.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Is...Is this real life ? Have I been finally listened ?

My Ridge Racer Type X dream racing/visual novel/aesthetic game will finally be real ?

I... Can't believe it.

Please Bamco, call all the graphics/musical artist involved in RRT4, and make the legend come back to life.
I don't want a remaster, I want a Remake.

AmyS

The issues with r4 could be fixed with new hardware, bad resolution and trying to push the hardware too mch but honestly I'd rather see more of the original ridge racer style and gameplay.

More courses like that would look and feel insane with a semi update with incredible IQ and 1080p

I'dd be fine with a very similar look as long as they enhanced the IQ to look amazing and maybe a mode that has more up to date post RR6 textures. Either way, like those old course designs a lot more than the recent stuff.

I think flat shaded cars can look incredible with increase in IQ and polygon counts. People think solid shades of colors look bad but that isn't exactly true nor is it true. When you think of textures you can get a nice blend of artistic styles that still look good.

I'd hope to keep the art style and crank the IQ a lot more than say this, and maybe a mode that uses textures a little closer to the original

I'd want the new game, tracks to look like this but a bit better

Ridge%20Racer%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSCUS-94300%5D-front.jpg
which artistically is more fun and intereting to me than any of the RR games.

Regardless of which game they remake, I'd want everything to look more like this.

OqUfETH.jpg

w3pf14F.jpg

106dEkx.jpg

bk3QVhp.jpg

This is 11 year old CG from the RR6 intro.

I'd like to think with modern GPUs plus Unreal Engine 4, the above could be achieved in realtime 60fps where the tracks are *not* sprawling open landscapes, but an arcade racer.

Edit:

As far as style, this would be most perfect.

9zrSaCj.jpg

Synth

Which is the most arcadey and has splitscreen

Most arcadey is subjective, but would probably be the original or Revolution.

Which had splitscreen is unimportant in the context of a remake, where any of them could potentially have splitscreen.

I'm one of the biggest Ridge Racer fans around. I would really take anything at this point but if i had a choice then i'd go with "Type 4" remastered in 1080p/60fps with kick-ass graphics and a pounding soundtrack. Just like a Ridge Racer game should be.

Please Namco... ?

Thank god Ridge Racer Type 4 stomped everything else in that poll, it was the pinnacle of the series and I've been hoping for years for them to move RR back in that direction.

xemumanic

I didn't get in in time to vote to Type 4, but by what I'm reading, it won? Coolness.
At least I got in to vote for AC5, and that's in the lead as well. :)

Camjo-Z

Seriously though, a remake of RR Type 4 would be one of my dream games. The atmosphere in R4 was INCREDIBLE. Update the graphics, remaster/remix the music, fix the progression system to be more like newer games so it's not a grind, add modern RR mechanics while also having the option of turning them off for purists... just yes please.

I'm ready for "Move Me" and "Moving in Circles" to come back into my life

Seconded. Move Me is one of the best VG songs of all time as far as I'm concerned.

You and me, outside... after school...

Because of the resolution and look of it, going into the year they were at it could have had a high IQ and better art style and been much better. Honestly, it seemed impressive at the time with the look and lighting but when you see it now artististially and for what it is, it's sort of a mess that doesn't look that great in reality. That's my biggest issue with it.

RIDGE_RACER_TYPE_4_5.jpg

Much prefer what I see in those earlier screens like people are posting in thiose ads, this just doesn't feel good to me. I still like the game for a racer, but not for a ridge racer.

rrt41.jpg

PSX_Ridge_Racer.png

I'd take this any day of the week. R4 ust isnt anywhere near appealing for me and the ps2/3 games also had this same sense of art direction. Sad to see the results on the twitter account.

Synth

Because of the resolution and look of it, going into the year they were at it could have had a high IQ and better art style and been much better.

Alright, nah... you've lost me.

Even when I look back on it, Type 4 is a masterpiece in terms of audiovisual presentation. For that generation's racers, I'd probably only place Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 over it.

The fact I own a Playstation Console without a Ridge racer (or a Tekken for that matter) is an embrassment and travesty.

Hell, id even add a time crisis to that mix.

Probably because it's the first Ridge Racer game that most people were able to play to some successful standard?

It's basically the series' Final Fantasy VII.

That may be true, but a worse game is still worse. I don't understand the japanese mindset on it, I thought they would like the original more. Even with those pics I posted its hard to imagine why people in the thread find it visually more appealing to me.

My god, the feels during the opening RRT4 movie....

*fades in from black
*volume knob slowly turns

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*driver shifts into lower gear
*tach needle jumps up
*gets sideways like a fucking villain

QONVIyz.gif

EVERY.
FUCKING.
TIME.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Alright, nah... you've lost me.

Even when I look back on it, Type 4 is a masterpiece in terms of audiovisual presentation.

I agree, for me RRT4 is one of these game bringing innovations inside a certain genre.
Speaking about the racing gameplay, I must say I didn't really enjoyed it this much back at the time. Honestly, I'm playing and enjoying this game due to all the global artistic creation (graphical/musical) created around it. The typo art, the black/orange color scheme, the implementation of visual novel aspects (Sophie Chevalier <3), the fabulous cut-scenes showing new cars coming on your showroom, the gorgeous soundtrack... I never felt this classy atmosphere again. RRT4 is a piece of art, a artistic and innovative interpretation of a dreamed racing world.

This game is representing a golden age in term of artistic development on PS1, going closer of other nostalgic PS1 creations I also have in head like this game or this menu.

A complete remake of RRT4 taking note of these elements would be... This would be my Shenmue 3 I think.

Azcyatl

R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere all the way, this last title with all the content you (Bamco) butchered from the american version.

Thanks

Top Bottom