• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bamco Producer - "Which Ace Combat/Ridge Racer remake do you want to see?"

The Ridge PSP games are genius. Total love letter to fans of the series, so much content!

Anyway, I agree that Type 4 has the best "style" but if they are going the remake route I hope that is what they keep but they expand/change the structure of the game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I think Rage Racer's style and atmosphere doesn't get enough credit. The tracks are godlike and the handling is sublime.

AmyS

Who needs splitscreen when you have this

tmcfWo.jpg

Yeah, exactly.

BTW I found that entire article from EDGE (it's nicer than its sister version in NG).

I've been learning the joys of drifting for the very first time via Ridge Racer PSP.

Can we just have Ridge Racer 2 PSP over here? I'm not remotely done with this on handheld.

A-V-B

The Ridge PSP games are genius. Total love letter to fans of the series, so much content!

Anyway, I agree that Type 4 has the best "style" but if they are going the remake route I hope that is what they keep but they expand/change the structure of the game.

I agree with everything in this post.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I would rather see RR2 PSP redone with next gen graphics, FFB wheel support, Oculus support, cross platform play and support for up to 200 cars online race using ggpo netcode.

isamu

Does anyone know how to contact the Bamco Producer who wrote this poll? I want to write to him and make suggestions on what would make a good RR game and to thank him for keeping an open mind about the series.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I haven't played R4 but I've heard the soundtrack and damn, that is one helluva soundtrack. I'd be really excited if BN goes through with a remake of R4, since this console gen feels like it's missing something without an RR title. And more arcade racers / more Japanese console games are always a good thing.

Juicy Bob

Real Racing Roots '99 was such a simple but brilliant thing to add to the Ridge Racer series. By providing a context and a basic narrative to the main Grand Prix mode, it made the silly little three lap races you do feel like they were actually important and meant something to someone.

Also, I totally had a crush on Sophie Chevalier as a kid...

isamu

I haven't played R4 but I've heard the soundtrack and damn, that is one helluva soundtrack. I'd be really excited if BN goes through with a remake of R4, since this console gen feels like it's missing something without an RR title. And more arcade racers / more Japanese console games are always a good thing.

Yup, one of the most iconic soundtracks in gaming.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Real Racing Roots '99 was such a simple but brilliant thing to add to the Ridge Racer series. By providing a context and a basic narrative to the main Grand Prix mode, it made the silly little three lap races you do feel like they were actually important and meant something to someone.

Also, I totally had a crush on Sophie Chevalier as a kid...[/spoilers]
Hah, I always went MMM as my team because I always liked the story as simple as it was.

xemumanic

Unsung War PC remaster please and thank you.

Yes! Tie it in as a pre order Bonus for Ace Combat 7 on Steam and I'm SOLD.

Oh yes, AC 7 had BETTER come to PC, with Oculus Rift support. It's a UE4 title, so that keeps my hopes up. Bamco has been making a lot of PC ports as of late, so I hope this comes.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Namco I will name my first born after you guys if you give me the PS2 AC games on PS4. I'll pay whatever you want too. AC5 is lovely, but I'm greedy and want AC4 and AC0 as well.

isamu

Yes! Tie it in as a pre order Bonus for Ace Combat 7 on Steam and I'm SOLD.

Oh yes, AC 7 had BETTER come to PC, with Oculus Rift support. It's a UE4 title, so that keeps my hopes up. Bamco has been making a lot of PC ports as of late, so I hope this comes.

Rift support is a MUST for any of their new RR or AC games IMO!

Fury451

Banned
I would pay a lot for a remake pack of 4, 5, Zero and 6.

But if I could only pick one, it would've been Unsung War.

Camjo-Z

I heavily updated a post I made in the thread: 20 Years of PlayStation - RIDGE RACER interview on Eurogamer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141438295&postcount=9

A lot more extensive articles that ran in EDGE, which were either cut back in Next Generation, or not there at all.

Bonus: EGM confuses Rage Racer with Rave Racer.

MDkpVde.jpg

They got it right, the next time tho.

E7np7kQ.jpg

In case I haven't said it before, I seriously love all these retro scans you're always posting.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
And I'm sitting here wondering if WB Games will ever rerelease a pixel perfect port of Rush 2049 SE for consoles and PC...

yurinka

Would be nice if they make a Ridge Racer Type 4 type of game but with all cars and tracks of the entire series (so merging both glorious PSP games with RR8 and the one for Vita).

For PS4 at 1080p 60fps and with PSVR support.

Trojan X

Banned
I think Rage Racer's style and atmosphere doesn't get enough credit. The tracks are godlike and the handling is sublime.
Rage Racer is awesome. In some ways it is more appealing than Type 4. If Type 4 wasn't an option then Rage Racer is a no brainer.

Good to know AC5 won.
That game is a freaking masterpiece.

I would love a remake I can play in PC. And no nostalgia here. I played it last year after tracking it with an old ps2.

I would also really want to see a FULL remake of Electrosphere. Its a pity that the real game never arrived to us. Glad is in draw with AC4 in the poll.

And who want another remake of AC2? that game was already remade on the 3DS.

I think AC 4 had a better story and soundtrack than 5, but I wouldn't be bummed if it won as well.

I hope 6 isn't forgotten as well.

I think one of the worst parts of 4 is how the story is presented. You have no stakes in it, and at the beggining you dont even know which characters you are playing from the "animated" cutscenes. 5 is a little more into you face story type, but I say this in a good way. The wishy washy lore type of story that tries to pull your strings with some badly narrated scenes can go and fuck off. I didnt give a fuck of any of the characters that appared here.
5 and Zero where MUCH better in that department. And I know some people prefer the non epic music of AC4 ost, but yeah.... Lets say I think they are all fucking lunatics :p

Hell, I even undertstand more how good was Mobius 1 as a pilot in the arcade mode on AC5, and that thing had little story. I certainly didnt feel that way in AC4.

Also the gameplay variation of 4 is not its strong point. They types of missions are more varied in 5.

Meh.

AC5 end game blew AC4 end game out of the water.

The epic in-city battle under the dark sky. The exceptionally epic tunnel run. The incredibly epic YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO passing. The rush as the door closes in.

And THEN you shot the crap out of a falling satellite. With THIS playing on the background.

Not to mention the epic Whitebird fight, the stadium fight, the submarine boss, the stealth mission, etc etc. So fucking epic, all of them.

GOD I really LOVE Ace Combat 5.

This man knows.
The game is so freaking good. The final missions just give me goosebumps. What about helping the the ships that want to return with the good guys while the song with lyrics plays in the radio chatter.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm glad R4 is the pole leader. That one deserves a cleanup. Great game and awesome soundtrack. Still listen to Revlimit Funk to this day.

Empty

type 4 is a terrible choice. that game is one of the finest, most coherent aesethic achievements in games and has aged beautifully. even trying really hard there's no way they don't undermine the music, the graphic design, the lighting effects of the tracks.

ridge racer 5 on the other hand could do with its incredible and series best drift mechanics being put in modern graphics.

isamu

type 4 is a terrible choice. that game is one of the finest, most coherent aesethic achievements in games and has aged beautifully. even trying really hard there's no way they don't undermine the music, the graphic design, the lighting effects of the tracks.

ridge racer 5 on the other hand could do with its incredible and series best drift mechanics being put in modern graphics.

The first paragraph in your post confuses me.

Juicy Bob

The first paragraph in your post confuses me.
I think the point is that R4 stands well enough on its own as a retro classic even today than there isn't really much to gain from remaking/remastering it compared to other installments in the series.

I think it's a fair point.

Camjo-Z

I think the point is that R4 stands well enough on its own as a retro classic even today than there isn't really much to gain from remaking/remastering it compared to other installments in the series.

Type 4 definitely has its issues though. I'd love to see a remake add a progression system more like RR6/7's instead of the lame "intentionally lose a race to unlock a different car" stuff repeated ad nausem. It would also allow them to expand the visual novel sections a bit more.

GIVE ME ALL THE ACE COMBATS REMASTERED!!! I will give everything I have! Though honestly if I had to choose. I'd say 5. For Ridge Racer, RR Type 4

So true. Those games are like experiences in a way. Pristine awesome soundtracks too, particularly Rage Racer and R4 (the PSP games have some great songs as well).

It's worth it simply to expose it to a new generation that may not even know they'd be looking for a fun arcade racer w/ style, but maybe want something with more modernized graphics.

I've got no problem playing R4 again (it's sitting right here at my desk as I type); then again I can sit through Cremaster in one viewing. Point being, I can tolerate that generation's visual limitations b/c I mostly grew up w/ them, but there's maybe many kids today who can't (unless it's Minecraft). But they'd likely immensely enjoy the gameplay if they could get past that, or had that factor removed.

Just wish Sega would look at their stuff from that era the same way and at least attempt more digital rereleases beyond Genesis games :(

I heavily updated a post I made in the thread: 20 Years of PlayStation - RIDGE RACER interview on Eurogamer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141438295&postcount=9

A lot more extensive articles that ran in EDGE, which were either cut back in Next Generation, or not there at all.

Bonus: EGM confuses Rage Racer with Rave Racer.

MDkpVde.jpg

They got it right, the next time tho.

E7np7kQ.jpg

Wasn't Rave Racer the original arcade version of Ridge Racer?

I got it confused w/ Ridge Racer Revolution for a while, myself.

But if they're looking to pick one that'll potentially resurrect the franchise, then R4 is the best choice. It's really the most "complete" RR package.

Juicy Bob

Type 4 definitely has its issues though. I'd love to see a remake add a progression system more like RR6/7's instead of the lame "intentionally lose a race to unlock a different car" stuff repeated ad nausem. It would also allow them to expand the visual novel sections a bit more.

It's worth it simply to expose it to a new generation that may not even know they'd be looking for a fun arcade racer w/ style, but maybe want something with more modernized graphics.

I've got no problem playing R4 again (it's sitting right here at my desk as I type); then again I can sit through Cremaster in one viewing. Point being, I can tolerate that generation's visual limitations b/c I mostly grew up w/ them, but there's maybe many kids today who can't (unless it's Minecraft). But they'd likely immensely enjoy the gameplay if they could get past that, or had that factor removed..

But if they're looking to pick one that'll potentially resurrect the franchise, then R4 is the best choice. It's really the most "complete" RR package.
Don't get me wrong, I voted for R4 myself. It's definitely my favourite Ridge and I'd love to see the core elements of that game fleshed out a bit more and the game's unique style and graphic design brought into the HD era. But it's also a fair argument to say that it has aged well enough that there might not be much to gain from giving it a new coat of paint.

AmyS

Wasn't Rave Racer the original arcade version of Ridge Racer?

I got it confused w/ Ridge Racer Revolution for a while, myself.

Nope. Rave Racer was it's own arcade game, the true follow-up to Ridge Racer, given that Ridge Racer 2 was just an update of the original.

-Arcade releases-

Ridge Racer - 1993
Ridge Racer 2 - 1994
Rave Racer - 1995
Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle - 2001

-PS1 releases-

Ridge Racer - 1994 / 1995
Ridge Racer Revolution - 1995 / 1996
Rage Racer - 1996 / 1997
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - 1998 / 1999

This is an actual preview of the Rave Racer arcade game from EDGE.

lKEayh6.jpg

Again, these two EGM previews are of the same PS1 game, Rage Racer EGM fucked up by using the title Rave Racer on the first.
MDkpVde.jpg
E7np7kQ.jpg

note the low resolution graphics - native 320 x 220 and European art design]

9TrXM0P.jpg
]
[System 22 Rave Racer arcade, native 640 x 480 graphics]

isamu

Ahh I see now what he meant. Fair point indeed.

I like where you're going with this :)

Don't get me wrong, I voted for R4 myself. It's definitely my favourite Ridge and I'd love to see the core elements of that game fleshed out a bit more and the game's unique style and graphic design brought into the HD era. But it's also a fair argument to say that it has aged well enough that there might not be much to gain from giving it a new coat of paint.

That's why I think it's the best candidate. R4 still feels like a modern game even though it was released in 98. All it really needs is a technical makeover. Keep the artstyle and obviously heavily upgrade the technical aspects of the game (poly count, lighting, shaders etc.) and it's pretty much ready to go. As I mentioned earlier, while Rage is my favorite entry, R4 is the closest to being the perfect RR game. It has the least amount of things you need to improve to get it there. So it would make sense to use it as the game to try to get people back into the franchise.

I kind of agree, and the psp games inherited the look of that game outside the menus already.
It would be nice to retun to the pre nitro era, I'd prefer it to be something new, but basing it around RRV would be a good start.

AmyS

Looking at other magazines this afternoon, Ultra Game Players avoided the confusion and got things right with their Rage Racer PS1 preview.

5N5Sh06.jpg

In the late 90s, GP/UGP got better while EGM got worse, IMO.

Edit: from my updated post in the Ridge Racer thread, EDGE magazine was more in-depth on their NEC / VideoLogic / PowerVR / Namco PC port coverage. Pretty amazing stuff for 1995-1996.

OwseJH4.jpg

Ylmbf7o.jpg

KDOd0El.jpg

9TrXM0P.jpg

G0Xkq0y.jpg

0cCzajL.jpg

iKKaBET.jpg

jqIJGPg.jpg

HEa5v4d.jpg

TY8dY4K.jpg

I Raaage 'bout not getting Raaaaaaaaave Raaaaaaaaaaacer!

Nope. Rave Racer was it's own arcade game, the true follow-up to Ridge Racer, given that Ridge Racer 2 was just an update of the original.

-Arcade releases-

Ridge Racer - 1993
Ridge Racer 2 - 1994
Rave Racer - 1995
Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle - 2001

-PS1 releases-

Ridge Racer - 1994 / 1995
Ridge Racer Revolution - 1995 / 1996
Rage Racer - 1996 / 1997
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - 1998 / 1999

This is an actual preview of the Rave Racer arcade game from EDGE.

lKEayh6.jpg

Again, these two EGM previews are of the same PS1 game, Rage Racer EGM fucked up by using the title Rave Racer on the first.
MDkpVde.jpg
E7np7kQ.jpg

note the low resolution graphics - native 320 x 220 and European art design]

9TrXM0P.jpg
]
[System 22 Rave Racer arcade, native 640 x 480 graphics]
Looks tasty. I'd like to play it sometime, and it's easy to see its influence on Revolution. But Namco's naming conventions for the RR games back then was really confusing.

That's why I think it's the best candidate. R4 still feels like a modern game even though it was released in 98. All it really needs is a technical makeover. Keep the artstyle and obviously heavily upgrade the technical aspects of the game (poly count, lighting, shaders etc.) and it's pretty much ready to go. As I mentioned earlier, while Rage is my favorite entry, R4 is the closest to being the perfect RR game. It has the least amount of things you need to improve to get it there. So it would make sense to use it as the game to try to get people back into the franchise.
Very well said.

AmyS

Looks tasty. I'd like to play it sometime, and it's easy to see its influence on Revolution. But Namco's naming conventions for the RR games back then was really confusing.

Played Rave Racer in the UK when it came out, saw it a few times near where I lived in the Chicago area. Loved it.

Rave Racer heavily influenced Rage Racer. Same Namco designer I believe.

Top Bottom