• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Q3 Results - Youkai Watch Outgrossing Gundam

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Namco Bandai Q3 Results:
Net Sales: ¥149.846 billion yen
Operating Income: ¥15.764 billion yen
Net Income: ¥10.691 billion yen

Character IP Sales Q3:
Gundam: ¥17.1 billion yen
Youkai Watch: ¥20.5 billion yen

Kamen Rider: ¥10.6 billion yen
Power Rangers: ¥5.6 billion yen

Additional Information Q1-Q3 (Shipments):
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: ULTIMATE NINJA STORM REVOLUTION - 870K
ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red - 600K
SWORD ART ONLINE Hollow Fragment - 460K
Super Robot Wars Z III - 430K

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/financial/pdf_bnh/en_20141106_1Result.pdf
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/E79FADE4BFA1E8A39CE8B6B3E8B387E69699.pdf

1415104657801.gif

Level-5^

Biker19

Banned
Nintendo or Sony needs to get something like this exclusively on either Wii U or PS4. No PS3, PS Vita, or 3DS ports.

Tripon

Nintendo or Sony needs to get something like this exclusively on either Wii U or PS4. No PS3, PS Vita, or 3DS ports.

Yokai Watch makes the most sense on a system with a large kid demographic, aka the 3DS. Only other place it would make sense is mobile.

vinnygambini

Bandai-Namco doesn't even distribute the game, only the toys and other merch.

They're the master toy license. Even so, Youkai Watch out-grossed Gundam which is mightily impressive. Youkai Watch's earnings are derived from merchandise as oppose to Gundam which encompasses all aspects of the company.

They did good!

Meffer

That's very impressive for Youkai Watch considering Bandai handles the toys only. This is going worldwide for sure.
On that subject, I'm pretty damn sure Bandai are going to handle bringing it over as well along with Level5. They're not going to give this one up

Sayah

Is Bandai Namco the only third party Japanese company actually doing well fiscally?

That game release schedule isn't even..........astounding and they're profiting pretty well from what it seems. They've got a lot better stuff lined up in the future too.

Meffer

Is Bandai Namco the only third party Japanese company actually doing well fiscally?

That game release schedule isn't even..........astounding and they're profiting pretty well from what it seems. They've got a lot better stuff lined up in the future too.

Well, they're playing smart.

crinale

Well to be fair Falcom just announced they'll exceed the expectation, so there's that.

vinnygambini

Ever since their restructure in 2008-2009, Bandai Namco has been on all roll. They're doing great fiscally - shareholders are certainly pleased.

Top 4 publishers in Japan according to forecast FY15:

1. Bandai Namco (Operating Income - ¥50 billion yen)
2. Nintendo (Operating Income - ¥20 billion yen)
3. Square Enix (Operating Income - ¥11~16 billion yen)
4. Capcom (Operating Income - ¥10.5 billion yen)

Though in mobile, Gungho Online Entertainment has the equivalent Operating Income of the 4 above combined ;.;

I don't think they're targeted at the same audience lol.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Kids aren't into Gundam, and Yokai combines Pokemon-style collecting/trading with more recognizable and enjoyable elements of Japanese culture and main characters their age. It's actually pretty popular with older people too. There was a line around the corner even at the little mom and pop toy store near me on release date with lots of grandmas and grandpas.

And yet we can't get a decent Kamen Rider show in the US.

Gundam's for old people

Yokai are the future

Really, they just have to retrofit Gundam Build Fighters with more Youkai Watch elements. Done.

EDIT: Ah, those numbers are Toys only.

Busaiku

Ever since their restructure in 2008-2009, Bandai Namco has been on all roll. They're doing great fiscally - shareholders are certainly pleased.

Though in mobile, Gungho Online Entertainment has the equivalent Operating Income of the 4 above combined ;.;
Why an operating income comparison?
Not even that, but the forecasts?

TI82

Banned
Yokai Watch makes the most sense on a system with a large kid demographic, aka the 3DS. Only other place it would make sense is mobile.

An iPhone/Android version of this game would do INSANELY well. Puzzles and Dragons was already doing so well and this would do even better.

They're the master toy license. Even so, Youkai Watch out-grossed Gundam which is mightily impressive. Youkai Watch's earnings are derived from merchandise as oppose to Gundam which encompasses all aspects of the company.

They did good!

It doesn't help that we get a gundam anime series every couple of years (excluding OVA's) and G Reconguista kinda shit the bed.

vinnygambini

Why an operating income comparison?
Not even that, but the forecasts?

I don't understand your question Busaiku. The previous user stated that Bandai Namco seemed like the only Japanese third publisher that are doing well fiscally; hence their operating income.

I offered him the top 4 publishers guidance for FY15 which clearly puts Bandai Namco in a positive light.

I reiterate, what is your question?

It doesn't help that we get a gundam anime series every couple of years (excluding OVA's) and G Reconguista kinda shit the bed.

Bandai does not know what to do with the property outside of Asia, and it shows lol They don't understand the market place; hence why the left and licensed most of their properties to the likes of Funimation among others.

I'm still super surprised that we haven't gotten any localizations of Youkai Watch in the west yet. It's making bank in Japan, so now is the time to spend some of that money on expanding it across the globe.

Sayah

Namco operating forecasts above Nintendo? What. Wow.

Busaiku

I don't understand your question Busaiku. The previous user stated that Bandai Namco seemed like the only Japanese third publisher that are doing well fiscally; hence their operating income.

I offered him the top 4 publishers guidance for FY15 which clearly puts Bandai Namco in a positive light.

I reiterate, what is your question?

Sorry, thought it was in reference to overall relevancy, and a comparison of the companies' reception with the public.

javadoze

I'm still super surprised that we haven't gotten any localizations of Youkai Watch in the west yet. It's making bank in Japan, so now is the time to spend some of that money on expanding it across the globe.

It's coming. They're planning on rolling out the toyline, the anime, and the games all at once.

Bebpo

Banned

The sad thing is that despite Bamco doing very well and pretty much releasing 99% of the games worth caring about in Japan (pretty much every game I've imported in the last 3 years has been published by Bamco), they're continually cutting and lowering budgets for their key franchises (SRW, Tales) and filling them with hundreds of dollars of DLC. Which does increase profits in the short term, but the sales #s of these series are taking a hit each entry as the quality goes down due to budget cuts.

It's pretty evil and corporate driven at the expense of game quality for gamers.

;_;

vinnygambini

Namco operating forecasts above Nintendo? What. Wow.

I know; though Nintendo is slowly crawling back up! Bandai Namco do have their hands in many more areas though (Visual Content, Merchandise, Amusement Centers, etc)

The sad thing is that despite Bamco doing very well and pretty much releasing 99% of the games worth caring about in Japan (pretty much every game I've imported in the last 3 years has been published by Bamco), they're continually cutting and lowering budgets for their key franchises (SRW, Tales) and filling them with hundreds of dollars of DLC. Which does increase profits in the short term, but the sales #s of these series are taking a hit each entry as the quality goes down due to budget cuts.

It's pretty evil and corporate driven at the expense of game quality for gamers. ;_;

I like the idea that Bandai has become much more profitable these past few years. But I agree, the games quality they produce have suffered too - especially in the DLC realm, they're reaching.

Sorry, thought it was in reference to overall relevancy, and a comparison of the companies' reception with the public.

It's okay, you have my favorite mascot as an avatar ♥

rhandino

Banned
I like this idea but Japan is just hellbent on the 3DS.
It's not only a "Japan" thing me thinks, the target demographic of this is on the 3DS there, if the game was made in the west the most probably target were to be mobile and PC before a Console release...

God, I need this series here like now T_T

Sayah

Bandai Namco has a lot more to them than just video games.

I know they also do toys/amusement facilities but still.........Nintendo doesn't just put out games. Namco doesn't do hardware like Nintendo and even though Wii U is a sales disaster, 3DS is mega successful. And Nintendo is also technically in the toy business now with amiibos.

I know they also do toys/amusement facilities but still.........Nintendo doesn't just put out games. Namco doesn't do hardware like Nintendo and even though Wii U is a sales disaster, 3DS is mega successful. And Nintendo is also technically in the toy business now with amiibos.

Most profits in video games aren't made on hardware.

Top Bottom