• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands that you don't get the appeal of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

I think even a super-fan would tell you that they're hard to like until you see them live.

I get that. I've seen some of their shows in youtube videos etc ... and I wouldn't even bother to go to a show live if someone paid me the price of admission.

To each their own!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, and any Fleetwood Mac song not written by or featuring Stevie Nicks. I'm not saying that bands have to be virtuosos or anything, but these groups have barely any chops and don't make up for it other ways.

The Doors were pretty amateurish, but they made it work with Morrison's charisma, Manzarek's soloing, and having their own sound. The Beatles weren't Cream or anything, but they made it work with amazing song writing, harmonization, and versatility.

Eagles/Steve Miller/Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).
Whoa, I'm totally the opposite regarding Fleetwood Mac. In fact, I thought several times of making a thread here about how much I dislike Stevie Nicks' voice, and how Christine McVie is infinitely better than her. Nicks has several songs I like (with "Gold dust woman" being one of my favorite Mac songs), but I can barely stand her voice in most of them. I cringe every time I hear her singing the phrase "what's the matter baby?" ("When I see you again"). That's not to say I think she's a bad artist, not at all, but her singing style seriously annoys me.

I'll take any other band members over her any day. In my opinion McVie has a really beautiful voice, and I consider her songs some of the band's best ("Over & over", "Believe me" and "Behind the mask", among many others). But I also love Lindsey Buckingham's stuff (though not all of his songs), some from Bob Welch (he has a fair share that I dislike, but the ones I do like are awesome, like "Miles away" and "Bright fire") and a couple from Danny Kirwan ("Sometimes" and "Dust" are exquisite pieces of music). Even the new guys in Behind the Mask have some good contributions there, and nice voices too.

I haven't heard much of the blues era of the band, so I can't comment about that. I'm not a big fan of Then Play On, and half of the songs in Mr. Wonderful sound exactly the same to me.

I get why someone would like Taylor Swift, but it definitely hinges on them really not listening to very much music at all other than that.
To be quite honest, I find some of her songs to be a bit... catchy, to say the least. I don't like her, which is why I can't help feeling guilty for admitting I kinda enjoy the song "Speak now" each time my sister plays the album it's featured in. I'm never ever going to tell her that, though.

Dec

The people saying an entire genre are pretty funny.

Shit like metal - "When they start to scream I change the radio station." is hilarious to me.

I guess to contribute to the thread my choice would be: ACDC.

Sadsic

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
After staring at this thread for a while I finally figured out a sound that I don't get.

Glitch.

Some of it gets so damn abstract I don't even understand what people get out of it. Take Accelera Deck for example, for me 90% of what i've tried to listen to from him is unlistenable. However, he's been making music for a long long time so somebody out there is jamming to it.

Black Keys

pfft.

While I'm not a huge fan of the Black Keys. I love that distinct dirty, soulful garage rock sound of theirs (especially from back in the early 2000s) and many others that sound like em (especially from the south) like Luella and The Sun.

Revolver

Nice to see an older gentleman on here. I always assume I'm having a discussion with someone in their late teens/early 20s on here. FWIW, a lot of my friends are your age. :D

Funeral came out, what, 10 years ago? So you were right in the fan wheelhouse when it came out.

Yeah, when Funeral came out most of my friends didn't know who they were then either. But most of my friends don't listen to that "weird" alternative music.

SOME-MIST

I like (or at least understand) most music, but I honestly don't get why Death Grips and Grimes get so much praise. Especially Death Grips, I've heard about three good songs across their four albums and a whole bunch of wasted potential.

Macklemore and Hopsin are terribly wack too, but it's pretty obvious why they have their fanbases.
Death Grips
Neutral Milk Hotel

regarding Death Grips - it's all about Zach Hill. I honestly can't really listen to a full album at once since it's hard for me to handle, but I've been a big Zach Hill fan from Hella and I also love him in

Holy Smokes
Bygones
Marnie Stern
El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Team Sleep
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (mantra hiroshima is actually kind of hard to listen to, but there's a few songs I like)
and any of his avant-garde work with Mick Barr

He's being covered in the kickstarter drummer book "The Drum Thing" along with drummers Roy Haynes, Neil Peart, John Stanier, etc...
He's honestly one of my favorite drummers along with Charlie Zeleny, Weasel Walter, and Matthew Grossman.

I like death grips for Zach Hill... not for death grips. Imo, it's one of his worst projects, but he's still incredible in it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153775136240032&set=vb.131448480031&type=2&theater

I tried listening to MPP, the whole album sounds like an anti-climatic intro to a song. Except for Brother Sport, that song I have to admit is groovy as shit

Brother Sport is awesome but my favorite moment of the album is midway through In The Flowers; "If I could just leave my body for the night... "

Dart

Muse are fucking terrible. Should have had them in my list.

I have their entire discography synced on my iPod...

welp.gif

Bands I don't get.

AC/DC
Pink Floyd
Metallica

Bullshit 90s alternative. I know it has a huge fanbase and I've really tried but bands like mudhoney, Sonic youth, etc etc all sound like garbage to me. Same with almost all grunge bands. I guess growing up with rap / black metal made it really hard for me to listen to almost anything else.

I don't get why people don't like the things I like. :)
But it's pavement!!! their discography is basically error-free!? WHY

Bullshit 90s alternative. I know it has a huge fanbase and I've really tried but bands like mudhoney, Sonic youth, etc etc all sound like garbage to me. Same with almost all grunge bands. I guess growing up with rap / black metal made it really hard for me to listen to almost anything else.
You're really missing out.

SystemBug

radiohead tbh

all of their albums are pretty bad and musically they are pretty terrible. I bet the band members have done nothing notable outside of radiohead. they were just a bunch of british kids riding on the brit pop thing. truly atrocious

i kid

on a more serious note, i guess queen. I think it's because they haven't aged that well or something

Mahonay

Banned
As someone who has spent many days in nights in Cville, I'm biased, but the appeal of DMB is that, too this day, they put on a great amphitheater concert. Puff out on the lawn and dance the night away. In a way it's similar to a Phish show (except the community isn't nearly as developed and it's a lot more mainstream). It's a lot of fun if you have hippie tendencies.
Yep. This would explain my general distaste for it. Hah.

ledman

The real answer is Sonic Youth
Not that they suck completely, but critics rated them too hight , and I just don't get it.

New York Dolls too.

magundah14

Neo Member
Any metal genre with death growl/pig squeal/anything like that.
Fans tell me it's melodic and expresses the vocalist's feelings, but I just can't stand it!

Also: minimalism, deep house and lounge music

genjiZERO

Yep. This would explain my general distaste for it. Hah.

DMB is also kinda in-between the fan bases of Jimmy Buffett and Phish. So you get both hippies and frat boys at their shows. I suppose if either of those sub-cultures rubs you the wrong way I can see how you'd not like them. But anyway, it's the shows that make them such a big deal (even if they haven't had a decent album in 15 years).

Neutral Milk Hotel
The National
Elliott Smith

James Blake. Bleh

j/k JB is the shit. IMO he's the best young artist out right now. I've seen him twice at the 930 Club in DC. Absolutely amazing.

I don't get Nirvana either. I don't think anything that band does is done particularly well and a lot of their contemporaries were way more talented. I think the Foo Fighters are way better then Nirvana.

Malvolio

I don't get the appeal of any band that has progressed beyond the small club/indie label stage. I totally got their appeal before that time though, back then they were amazing. Now they are clearly just in it for the money and have totally sold out.

I don't get the appeal of any band that has progressed beyond the small club/indie label stage. I totally got their appeal before that time though, back then they were amazing. Now they are clearly just in it for the money and have totally sold out.
Indie labels don't mean much anymore. Arcade Fire are still signed to Merge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom