• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands that you don't get the appeal of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question for people answering the Beatles, Mumford & Sons, and other very popular acts, are you actually answering the question... Like, you can't understand the appeal of those bands? Or, do you just think these well-liked bands suck?

I don't expect everybody to like the Beatles or Taylor Swift, but are you really incapable of understanding their appeal?

injurai

Banned
Tricky, Massive Attack and Portishead. But, I'm kidding a little bit with being so narrow.

I figured. It seems most people only know, like you said, the big 3. Which is fine really. Just makes it hard to use one word to describe the body of the iceberg.

Andrew.

Banned
Is this supposed to be some sort of insult?

Nope. I just always associate that band with today's youth.

Therefore it's over my head and I dont see the appeal, because I peg that band as one that caters to teens and young adults.

My brain wont accept them no matter what. Kinda like I cant bring myself to ever play a fuckin LEGO game.

This kind of shit happens to you when you get older.

King_Moc

Banned
Serious question for people answering the Beatles, Mumford & Sons, and other very popular acts, are you actually answering the question... Like, you can't understand the appeal of those bands? Or, do you just think these well-liked bands suck?

I don't expect everybody to like the Beatles or Taylor Swift, but are you really incapable of understanding their appeal?

I considered the question the way you phrased it right there. I came up with Mumford. I can kind of see how people like crap like Foo Fighters, RHCP, Britney, Eminem or whatever, but Mumford? No, sorry, i really can't see it.

Symphonia

Banned
How do you explain their immense popularity before Cobain's suicide?
I didn't mention pre-suicide in my post, merely that I have a theory all the hipster kids think they should listen to Nirvana purely because of the story regarding Cobain. That really doesn't have anything to do with it, though, I don't like Nirvana pre-suicide or post.

Ovid

Yes.

Mumford & Sons is folk music (right?).

The Beatles...I just don't get it.

There's a whole load, but i'm gonna go with Mumford and Sons. Seriously, what the fuck is that all about? Do you just have to dress like farmers and play the banjo to make it nowadays? They're like an extremely shit, 18th century Arcade Fire. And all their songs seem to do the same fucking thing.
LOL, that's what I'm saying.

Sobriquet

Therefore it's over my head and I dont see the appeal, because I peg that band as one that caters to teens and young adults.

My brain wont accept them no matter what. Kinda like I cant bring myself to ever play a fuckin LEGO game.

It's actually the opposite, though. Their fan base are largely in their late 20s and 30s.

I didn't mention pre-suicide in my post, merely that I have a theory all the hipster kids think they should listen to Nirvana purely because of the story regarding Cobain. That really doesn't have anything to do with it, though, I don't like Nirvana pre-suicide or post.

So you're projecting your dislike into made-up excuses as to why people could like them. Is it really hard to believe that people simply like the music?

genjiZERO

I figured. It seems most people only know, like you said, the big 3. Which is fine really. Just makes it hard to use one word to describe the body of the iceberg.

Like I said, I'm kidding a bit. Although, to be fair, triphop is pretty limited, especially if you want to separate it from later developments like downtempo or whatever. I also think it's fair to say the "big 3" typify the sound - they did/do (Portishead 4, when!?) put out great music.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Pop music as well, for adults. I get why pre-teens and young people like it, but for any adult with the mental capability to grasp deeper lyrics and more complex instrumentals it boggles my mind they put up with such shallow, meaningless and manufactured music.

1. Some people don't care at all about song lyrics, just the music itself (so how "meaningful" it is is irrelevant)
2. Complexity allows an informed listener to appreciate it on a different level, but it's certainly not a requirement for music that is pleasing to the ear.
3. Authenticity of the artist doesn't affect the way a song sounds, so for many it's irrelevant whether or not it's actually the artist creating the music, or just a talented team of producers, because it sounds like what it sounds like and you either like it or don't.

I can appreciate both types of music *shrug*. Depends on what mood I'm in.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, agreed. I can't stand them and have no idea what soever where all the love comes from for them. Is it because one of them died? They're just really irritating and childish. I'd be embarrassed to listen to them if i liked them. I don't think musical ability is particularly relevant when it comes to good music either. Songwriting and playing appear to be almost entirely unrelated in my experience.

Absolutely. You can watch a great musician do their thing and respect it, but yeah, that has bollock all to do with song quality. I'm more of Sonic-Youth-Confusion-is-Sex-jam-screwdrivers-in-yer-strings kind of guy any way.

In a word? Yes.

Well, not The Beatles, I get that.

I never thought opinions could actually be wrong. You live and learn.

Yeah I'm kind of wondering about this.. because Arcade Fire's fans are mostly late 20s, and 30s. Although, I'm sure they've gotten more popular with teenagers over the last couple years with commercial success. Back when they won the grammy in 2011 or 2012 there was a "Who is Arcade Fire" meme which was mostly young people asking who they were.

Also.. I don't really think they cater to teens and young adults...

(edit, and I'nm not really an Arcade Fire fan.. I like them enough though)

EYEL1NER

This thread quickly turned into a "Bands I Think Suck" thread after a few posts.

I guess I can't really think of any band that I would cause me to struggle to figure out why someone liked them.

EDIT: This thread made me go and listen to Mumford & Sons for the first time. Literally have not heard them yet, being out of the country for a while probably aided that. I listened to two songs of theirs and am stumped. I didn't hear anything grossly offensive about their music, anything that would make me yell "How could anyone like these fools?! They are so terrible!!!"
Ewan, I don't get it.

Sobriquet

Pop music as well, for adults. I get why pre-teens and young people like it, but for any adult with the mental capability to grasp deeper lyrics and more complex instrumentals it boggles my mind they put up with such shallow, meaningless and manufactured music.

Some people just want something innocuous to sing along with. Liking pop music doesn't preclude someone from listening to anything deeper or more experimental.

I was going to post the Eagles & Steve Miller Band, because I hate them, but I do get the appeal... That "easy peaceful enjoy life man" sentiment of the Eagles & Steve Miller is precisely why many people like them. I also hate Jimmy Buffet and I'd say "How can anybody like this?!" but people like Jimmy Buffet for the same reasons... relaxing party music for your parents.

Although Fleetwood Mac is fucking awesome. Well, Stevie Nix fleetwood. Go Your Own Way and The Chain.. couple awesome songs. The album Rumors is a seriously timeless album... it could be made by an alt-country band today and be groundbreaking. Shearwater/Okkervil River reminds me a lot of Fleetwood Mac.. And the Decemberists had some classic Fleetwood Mac melodies on their last album.

I would hope you like Fleetwood Mac, considering your avatar picture! Just to be clear, I love Stevie Nicks and also enjoy a lot of the material before the 1975 self-titled album. It's the other part of their catalog that sucks.

As for people liking these bands because they're simple, yeah, I get it too, but I think you can be simple without talking down to your audience. Around the same time as these three bands you also had groups like America that were very minimalistic, but at least tried to do something interesting harmonically and thematically (Ventura Highway). A great band like The Police or Steely Dan (Demolition Man/Regatta de Blanc or Show Biz Kids/Chain Lightning) can play a very simple vamp or a 12 bar blues and hold your attention for 6 minutes because they have something to say.

When I hear garbage like Big Old Jet Airliner, it feels like Steve Miller is insulting me personally. "Hey, idiot, you'll listen to anything with a beat, choke on this garbage. I'll be on my yacht". I just don't get why people like being pandered to.

King_Moc

Banned
Absolutely. You can watch a great musician do their thing and respect it, but yeah, that has bollock all to do with song quality. I'm more of Sonic-Youth-Confusion-is-Sex-jam-screwdrivers-in-yer-strings kind of guy any way.

In a word? Yes.

Well, not The Beatles, I get that.

I get why someone would like Taylor Swift, but it definitely hinges on them really not listening to very much music at all other than that.

Symphonia

Banned
So you're projecting your dislike into made-up excuses as to why people could like them. Is it really hard to believe that people simply like the music?
I didn't think it was possible to be so stupid but I guess I was wrong. I don't like Nirvana at all. My dislike for them has nothing to do with Cobain's suicide whatsoever nor does it have anything to do with my theory regarding Nirvana's younger 'fans' - as mentioned, I don't like any of Nirvana's music before Cobain's death nor after it.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah I'm kind of wondering about this.. because Arcade Fire's fans are mostly late 20s, and 30s. Although, I'm sure they've gotten more popular with teenagers over the last couple years with commercial success. Back when they won the grammy in 2011 or 2012 there was a "Who is Arcade Fire" meme which was mostly young people asking who they were.

Also.. I don't really think they cater to teens and young adults...

(edit, and I'nm not really an Arcade Fire fan.. I like them enough though)

Guess I'm just fucked in the head then

Sobriquet

I didn't think it was possible to be so stupid but I guess I was wrong. I don't like Nirvana at all. My dislike for them has nothing to do with Cobain's suicide whatsoever nor does it have anything to do with my theory regarding Nirvana's younger 'fans' - as mentioned, I don't like any of Nirvana's music before Cobain's death nor after it.

It's fine if you don't like them. I'm just saying your theory is wrong, and only exists because you dislike them.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I get why someone would like Taylor Swift, but it definitely hinges on them really not listening to very much music at all other than that.

I dunno, man. I admit I have fairly limited knowledge of her work, but that "Never ever ever" monstrosity is beyond me. The "weeEEEeee" is nauseating.

I didn't think it was possible to be so stupid but I guess I was wrong.

Ah, I see you reread your post. Good, man. ;P

Ourobolus

Banned
I dunno, man. I admit I have fairly limited knowledge of her work, but that "Never ever ever" monstrosity is beyond me. The "weeEEEeee" is nauseating.P

That reminds me of that Kelly Clarkson song, "Catch My Breath." The way she sings, "Catch myyyy buh-reath" really bothers the living hell out of me. I don't know why it does, but it's just awful.

Dude, have you listened to "Come Original" or "Amber"?

Or "Creatures."

Actually, now that I think of it, there were two bands around late-high school, early-college that I remember a bunch of people liking, and I thought they were absolute shit:
Skindred (Although "Pressure" is kinda decent)
Mindless Self-Indulgence

Both were so bad.

King_Moc

Banned
I dunno, man. I admit I have fairly limited knowledge of her work, but that "Never ever ever" monstrosity is beyond me. The "weeEEEeee" is nauseating.

Oh god, yeah, that one nearly gave me a terminal illness. Isn't this a recent thing for her though? Wasn't she all Country a little back, before the record company figured out they could make more money by not just limiting themselves to one, very, very tired genre?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That reminds me of that Kelly Clarkson song, "Catch My Breath." The way she sings, "Catch myyyy buh-reath" really bothers the living hell out of me. I don't know why it does, but it's just awful.

No musicality to it, just gimmicky. It doesn't belong in a song, a kid's TV theme or an advert, sure, but not a song.

Oh god, yeah, that one nearly gave me a terminal illness. Isn't this a recent thing for her though? Wasn't she all Country a little back, before the record company figured out they could make more money by not just limiting themselves to one, very, very tired genre?

No idea. Is Country the new Christian Rock; as in, it has a built in audience that artists (ha) use as a launch pad for their career?

see5harp

I've always seen them as a band that appeals more to college age kids. I'm older and listen to them (not so much anymore) but I don't know anyone my age that's ever heard of them.

They have been around for years though. They appeal to people who listen to music. If you were paying attention when Funeral came out, there's no way you could have missed them. I just think people get old and they stop caring about keeping up.

EDIT: and I'm so glad Blame Space posted 311. I went to college in Omaha and it still boggles my mind how much of a cult following they still have. The same city produces all of those great Saddle Creek bands in the 2000's and still people listening to 311.

Damaniel

Banned
Radiohead (with literally one or two exceptions) and Insane Clown Posse. But especially the latter - of all the bands to create creepy cult followings around, why a group of completely talentless musicians? Their music, across the board, sucks.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Daft punk is fuckin annoying. Categorizing it as music is pretentious.
Atreyu is trendy uninspired bs
majority of hip hop and rap music...
Weezer obviously
Green day..I want to hear punk not crap
Same opinion with sublime

see5harp

Weezer obviously

What a Strange and disparate group of bands. It's hard to even respond to this.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Weezer obviously

This may be true, but their first two albums are awesome. I would never out and out say "These guys are the shit and their music is incredible" but Suicide Notes & The Curse are fun albums when you feel like listening to that specific kind of music...

While crying and masturbating to pics of your ex.

SamVimes

Chalk me up for the Beatles.
I've spent a lot of time drunk around bonfires arguing with people over this, but sadly for me it's always an uphill battle.

As far as I'm concerned the Beatles pretty much defined the future of pop music and this is why I hate them, but apparently I'm ignorant of the stronger aspects of their catalogue

Educate yourself then. I used to think the same until i took the time to listen to their stronger albums and while i still believe a lot of their hits (mostly early stuff) are complete crap their best output is just insanely good.

zoozilla

I was expecting a lot more "jazz." Has anyone said that?

(I like some jazz, though).

I think the band I really don't get the appeal of is Manic Street Preachers.

I really, really like "Motorcycle Emptiness," but besides that I see nothing very distinctive or memorable about their music. It seems so safe and bland? Maybe I should give them another chance, and it's nice that they're politically active or whatever, but I don't find their music attractive at all.

daveo42

Banned
I can't think of anyone specific, but for me it's the majority of both rap and country. Never understood the appeal and I don't think I ever will.

Mdot

RAM was probably one of the least digitally re-touched albums of last year. They made a point to use world class musicians and orchestras during the recording of it in an attempt to try something different than they previously had done.

Ourobolus

Banned
Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana. I will never understand the appeal of either of them

I have a weird relationship with RHCP. I like their music, but I'm pretty sure the band simply grabs random words from the dictionary and the names of states, puts them into a bingo ball spinner, and creates their songs based on the order they come out.

It's some weird cognitive dissonance on my part to know that the lyrics are absolute shit and still like the song as a whole.

Sobriquet

Well I'm 47, so get off my lawn.

Nice to see an older gentleman on here. I always assume I'm having a discussion with someone in their late teens/early 20s on here. FWIW, a lot of my friends are your age. :D

Funeral came out, what, 10 years ago? So you were right in the fan wheelhouse when it came out.

Excision and the like, outside of a concert venue. I can get that it might be pretty cool to have your face blasted off live, but listening to it outside of that context just seems a little weird to me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm glad nobody's said they don't get Wesley Willis. Sometimes you have to have debilitating mental illness to be a genius. I reccomend people watch the Devil and Daniel Johnston, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom