• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands that you don't get the appeal of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdot

Country and death metal is where I draw the line. Just can't get into them. Most other genres though I can appreciate.

terrisus

Yeah, that's why I hate talking to people. I also hate going outside, and don't even get me started on watching TV, playing games, or watching movies with the sound on. I can't stand sound, it's all just noise.

I used to think all music was "just" noise in middle school. I regret thinking so now.

I do hate movies, don't really care for most anything on television, and I covered the games thing above. As far as talking to people and going outside, those have obvious necessities to them, and to use them as an example is obvious hyperbole.

As for the second part - yet again, obviously everyone is different.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

pants

Oh yeah, I hate whatever that wub wub genre is called as well. sounds like someone is catching farts coming out of a bathtub of water

SBH

This thread ended very early. Add Vampire Weekend to this as well.

I'm thinking about adding everyone that said Radiohead to my block list, it's that real out here.

Also agree with Dylan and Springsteen.
Serious business...
I can't stand the whiny voice of the singer. I don't need links where he sings differently. Just not for me.
Death/doom metal also annoys me.

Band called 69 Eyes is also awful. Why can't you sing with your normal voice. Sounds like an idiot with the too low key.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'll admit I'm ignorant when it comes to the genre, thanks to, like you said, modern country being the only thing I hear.

Some of those don't even really sound country, specifically the Iron And Wine. Still not a fan of the twang that goes on in country songs though.

It really depends on how you define country. There's no line to be drawn between country and folk, except that folk musicians tend to be more progressive (politically and musically) and don't always have Southern accents. I would probably advise you to avoid all modern country music altogether. It's marketed toward an extremely specific audience (poor white rural people), and everybody else isn't that likely to "get it".

Country music is really weird because it specifically targets one demographic in a way that I don't think other genres do. While most rap is meant for Black urban audiences, there are hundreds of rap artists that market themselves towards a "mainstream" audience, and then there are artists like Mackelmore who directly target white audiences. If you play country-sounding music and you don't appeal to "country people", you won't be seen as a country musician.

Spoon.

I usually hear them described as a really good indie rock band, with their albums ending up on best of lists, but I haven't heard one from song from them that wasn't extremely blah and non-descript. It outright bores me.

I don't get what people see in Eminem. I think he's just a mediocre radio rapper.

Yeah, arguably there are only three trip hop groups. All of whom are worth the hype IMO.

Lately Deafheaven. I really don't get the hype.
I can't disagree any harder. Eminem is one of the best ever. Sunbather was an awesome album, and thanks for reminding me to play it again. Can I get some reasons folks?

Serious business...
I can't stand the whiny voice of the singer. I don't need links where he sings differently. Just not for me.
Death/doom metal also annoys me.

Band called 69 Eyes is also awful. Why can't you sing with your normal voice. Sounds like an idiot with the too low key.
You're talking about Neutral Milk? I only like Oh Comely, but I cannot understand the critical acclaim behind these guys. Voice turns me off immediately. Content is just all over the place. Nope.

deli2000

Spoon.

I usually hear them described as a really good indie rock band, with their albums ending up on best of lists, but I haven't heard one from song from them that wasn't extremely blah and non-descript. It outright bores me.

Spoon are probably the least boring 'indie' band out there.

Songs like this and this and this are like the opposite bland. Especially with the production.

EDIT: Also this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Meatloaf. I just don't get it!

Dishwalla

Banned
Rise Against. Killing punk rock for more than a decade. Seriously, get off the fucking radio with your generic bullshit.

That can be true, but some of the best vocals in popular music also come from metal - Tarja, Tate, Khan, Dickinson, Floor, Cornell, Halford, and others all have some really great vocal performances, and some of them have conservatory training that is quite evident.

I think that the difference between a good metal vocalist and a bad one is that the good one screams because it is an artistic decision that fits with what they are trying to communicate in the song, or because of the aesthetics of screaming. The good vocalist may not even be 'screaming' per se, but using a particularly intense mix voice or head voice, though frankly I think it's quite hard to tell the difference. The bad one, by contrast, screams because that is all he can do.

He's not a metal singer, but James Brown is a good example of a singer who often employed screaming, but was still capable of singing with properly produced resonance and clarity across about three octaves.

Frank Black / Pixies is another great example of non metal screaming.

I do hate movies, don't really care for most anything on television, and I covered the games thing above. As far as talking to people and going outside, those have obvious necessities to them, and to use them as an example is obvious hyperbole.

As for the second part - yet again, obviously everyone is different.

You sound like heaps of fun. Also ignorant.

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh, shit. Forgot Guns n' Roses. I will never understand the appeal of Axl Rose's voice. It's like he's in pain while he sings. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Blink Me

Oh, shit. Forgot Guns n' Roses. I will never understand the appeal of Axl Rose's voice. It's like he's in pain while he sings. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Oh yeah forgot them as well. Kind of ironic since I like blink who have whiny vocals but Axl Rose's does my head in.

i don't get why so many college students like dave matthews

a fat, balding guy playing c-grade jam bandy rock doesn't fit that demographic at all

SamVimes

I think I have most of their discography on my iPod, because I told myself I would listen to them and figure out why they're popular. Every time they pop up, I skip the song. I just don't get it. All their newer stuff just sounds like noise with Thom Yorke moaning over it. It just seems like the band where if you don't like it, you must not like good music, according to music culture.

Have you tried listening to a full album, maybe a couple of times? A lot of stuff i love is meant to be experienced that way, listening random song in shuffle is a shitty way to enjoy more complicated music.

Have you tried listening to a full album, maybe a couple of times? A lot of stuff i love is meant to be experienced that way, listening random song in shuffle is a shitty way to enjoy more complicated music.
Listen to this man. Listen to Bends or OK Computer all the way through.

KingGondo

Banned
i don't get why so many college students like dave matthews

a fat, balding guy playing c-grade jam bandy rock doesn't fit that demographic at all
He's a lot of peoples' first exposure to "real" music. It feels authentic and different because of the violin and sax, and the songs aren't typical pop-radio stuff while still being safe.

Not a fan of the band, but that's my theory. It does seem like his popularity is waning, though. The late 90s and early 2000s was DMB's peak.

injurai

Banned
morcheeba

sneaker pimps

UNKLE

No Portishead, Massive Attack or Tricky? Odd.

I agree these groups are trip-hop, and it's certainly what I first came to know the genre by. But I would argue that this is hardly related to the hip-hop seen that everything grew out of.

These groups represent a small branch of the whole, and unfortunately are most synonymous with the name that best describes pioneers of the genre.

The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, and any Fleetwood Mac song not written by or featuring Stevie Nicks. I'm not saying that bands have to be virtuosos or anything, but these groups have barely any chops and don't make up for it other ways.

The Doors were pretty amateurish, but they made it work with Morrison's charisma, Manzarek's soloing, and having their own sound. The Beatles weren't Cream or anything, but they made it work with amazing song writing, harmonization, and versatility.

Eagles/Steve Miller/Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom