• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barbie | Review Thread

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just saw it. My GF dragged me, i am a fan of Gosling though, but I wasn't expecting much yet I surprisingly enjoyed it? Hard to admit to my GF but here I am telling GAF. ImI had some genuinely good laugh, some jokes didn't land but still. And the movie looked gorgeous.

StueyDuck

I am not the least bit interested in it but the internet gender warriors want men to cry about Barbie so they can then go on social media and whine about male tears and fragile masculinity. Don't take the bait.
Yeah it feels like people are doing exactly what they want them to do. Like all outrage culture, they are all just being hypocritical because they say "don't see this movie and give them money" yet they all do exactly that to feed their youtube channels Twitter feeds.

Like Velma wanted everyone to hate watch it so they could get greenlit for s02 and all the angry boys went and go it done.

I don't see a world where I'm going to see a barbie movie (good or bad) unless I'm dragged to it, its just never a movie made for me... so like why do I care if it hates patriarchy 🤣. It's also a plastic toy and the movie clearly is made for 30-45 pink haired single fat girls so it's not like the young girls (who the movie should be for) are going to understand anything going on. They'll just enjoy the silly barbie in barbie land stuff

Last edited:

ManaByte

He’s fallen hook, line and sinker for what is just one gigantic shitpost.

Barbie is a troll.

Let them enjoy it, and don’t rise to the bullshit.

The people behind this movie want men angry and raging on the internet. Idiots like Drinker are giving them the satisfaction.
HYUJkm5.jpg

Pigenator

Saw it on Friday cause my GF and her friend begged. Jesus what a piece of shit movie.
It's just pure cringe from start to end, filled with shitty gags, PC litter everywhere, non-existing plot that drags for no reason and terrible acting throughout. Can't believe this abomination even reviews that good, guess you just gotta shit out PC wokeness and get your 5 min of fame with the crowd.

Pretty bummed I didn't watch Oppenheimer instead, or lit myself on fire that would have been a nicer 2 hours

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Saw it on Friday cause my GF and her friend begged. Jesus what a piece of shit movie.
It's just pure cringe from start to end, filled with shitty gags, PC litter everywhere, non-existing plot that drags for no reason and terrible acting throughout. Can't believe this abomination even reviews that good, guess you just gotta shit out PC wokeness and get your 5 min of fame with the crowd.

Pretty bummed I didn't watch Oppenheimer instead, or lit myself on fire that would have been a nicer 2 hours
But what did your GF and her friend think of it? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Jalucan

Neo Member
Neogaf THE place to discuss Barbie and Disney princesses. Can you link me to the My Little Pony thread? I got my top 5 pony list ready to go. Butter Muffin Twilight Cinnamon Sprinkles best pony fight me.

Woggleman

My cousin who is a woman saw the movie and said it was not that good. She said it wasn't awful and the set design and art direction were top notch but it felt too on the nose. It felt like one big lecture to her.

That being said people like Ben Shapiro just need to calm down and stop getting bent out of shape. Imagine being triggered like this by barbie. When feminists get triggered by unabashedly male centric movie we rightfully call them snowflakes so let's not pick up their bad habits.

Toons

Men can take being the brunt of a joke, so long as it is a GOOD joke.

And if Barbie success means I can have action movies with damsels in distress, girls showing tits, and men being allowed to be the police/CIA/secret agency boss again, I'll call it a win :p

Let women have theirs and us ours, I say.

QEuEgWj.jpg

This is a false dichotomy tho.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive, and both continue to exist and THRIVE to this day. You cant say stuff like this and pretend like John Wick, mission impossible, top gun maverick', tenet, fast and furious, bourne, creed, expendables, extraction, etc dont exist. All have had recent entries.

"Hypermasucline" films haven't gone away, there's just been in increase in variety from JUST being that over andexpendable, and again, variety is good.

TCD doesn't understand the difference, but hes playing a character anyway. He literally cant make a positive Barbie movie review. His base wouldn't have it. When one of his buddies gave a positive review of Eternals from the mcu a couple years ago, it splintered his base who expect them all to agree with them pretty much all the time. Its way past time to realize the guy is an entertainer, not a critic. He makes money making entertaining videos with a political angle that is disguised as film criticism. You can almost predict to the letter what films he'll like and won't like before they come out, thats part of the selling point.

I've not seen Barbie yet but it's success proves that its marketing did its job, and in spades. Its way, way more successful than I expected and probably more than it has any right to be.

Last edited:

Toons

I remember a time not too long ago when feminists despised Barbie.

But then again the culture fluctuates.

Yeah, around that time conservatives defended Barbie more often than not, or at least supported their girls playing with them and being told they could "be anything".

We've gone full circle.

Toons

Come on dude.. As Drinker actually explains in quite a bit of detail, the promotion for this movie apparently doesn't correlate with the actual movie. At all. All the clips and trailers make it seem like a sarcastic comedy, fish out of water with some music and good banter. Lighthearted and colorful, tongue in cheek comedy.

Read the movie synopsis and then watch the trailers again and tell me they didn't deliberately paint a completely different picture of what this movie is. There is literally no reason to go this hard on the "women superior, men inferior" messaging in the movie and it caught people by surprise.

F1lDLD2X0AM_XR2

The posters LITERALLY said "she's everything. Hes just ken".

Like... verbatim that's what they said.

Sleepwalker

I feel like I'm the only cunt who's completely uninterested in a movie about a girl's doll.
I find it so weird that we have so many grown people have never ever touched a barbie suddenly get caught up in this frenzy lol. Sign of the times.

Last edited:

Toons

Looks like a lot of fun, but I'm the type that can enjoy a movie for the acting, the art design, and the world as it exists within the movie without getting my knickers in a twist over "messages," real or perceived. And the fact that some are labeling it as "woke" makes me more interested, not less. (Seriously, has there been a more over-used word this century? It has lost all meaning at this point).

As the good lord intended it. Movies are art, and art always has a message, or if it doesn't it is derived from one. It is a reflection of an idea of the person or people making it; so it is inherently biased in some way, and asking for that not to be the case... is actually asking for pandering.

You have the correct approach. You dont HAVE to agree with a movies message to find it well made or even find quality in it. A lot of people have forgotten that over the years.

That sounds more like a rich people problem, a hold over from old white men having the most power and not letting go of it. That's something all of society has to deal with, and not just women, or other ethnic groups. It's anyone who has less money than those in power.
All of society has to deal with it, but all of society and being a woman or minority means you have to deal with more. That's the actual point, no one is really saying if you're white you automatically have it on easy mode.

I'm just tired of hearing how good of a time I've had it because of my race and gender, when my life has never been that way. I grew up in poverty, and had a learning disability that required me to take special courses in high school to graduate. Only white kid in school, so I only ever knew being made fun of and bullied by black and hispanic kids, so I never felt like I was the one getting special treatment. Being less than average in terms of looks, I've always been single, and straight up insulted most of the time I've tried meeting girls. Was called ugly just walking in the halls by some girls a few times, but hey I guess I deserved it for existing.
I'm tired of being told I need to step aside for others when my life has kinda sucked, and one of the only things I've gotten joy out of in my life is enjoying entertaining movies and video games. Now the people in charge of both those industries seem like they have an agenda to tell me how evil I've always been, and I need to ask for penance or something for being born my race and sex, when I've never had the special treatment that they act like I've gotten all my life because some other white dudes with lots of money have gotten at some point.

I could respond to this more thoroughly but I dont wanna get flagged for politics. I'm just going to say you have some astute observations that a lot of folks on both sides need to hear, but the conclusions you are drawing are underrated and reductive. You're on a decent path but you've got some things not quite right and your perspective is a little skewed.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is a false dichotomy tho.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive, and both continue to exist and THRIVE to this day. You cant say stuff like this and pretend like John Wick, mission impossible, top gun maverick', tenet, fast and furious, bourne, creed, expendables, extraction, etc dont exist. All have had recent entries.
Go watch the OG Conan. Then compare and contrast Valeria against ALL the other women in the film. Look at how they portray Conans mom. These are STRONG women in a MASCULINE film.

You don't get that today. I like MI but those aren't masculine films. Go watch Commando. Or Predator. Or Rambo. Or Death Wish. Or The Mechanic. Or Game of Dearh. Or Bloodsport.

There is a very different vibe and I say that if Barbie can exist, then those films can as well

Toons

Go watch the OG Conan. Then compare and contrast Valeria against ALL the other women in the film. Look at how they portray Conans mom. These are STRONG women in a MASCULINE film.

You don't get that today. I like MI but those aren't masculine films. Go watch Commando. Or Predator. Or Rambo. Or Death Wish. Or The Mechanic. Or Game of Dearh. Or Bloodsport.

There is a very different vibe and I say that if Barbie can exist, then those films can as well

You're not describing masculine, you're describing macho. I consider those very very different.

You're describing power fantasies and feats of physical strength suppressing of all emotions that aren't rage, and general might as a virtue type storytelling.

Conan is macho. Gladiator is masculine.

That has its place too but frankly those were on their way out way before the modern era. And they've tried bringing those back many times. Hercules, that live action tarzan, that Conan reboot movie with mamoa... Audiences didnt turn up.

Barbie on the other hand is not a new type of movie either. You csn draw a direct line to stuff like working girl or Thelma and Louise. Girl power trips are not like male power trips. Girl macho is no about physically overpowering the enemy, its about proving them wrong, being morally superior, or outsmarting them, or defying them something. And yes, often men are the common denominator in those movies because most every girl or woman has had SOME experience dealing with a scummy guy. Its just a universal.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You're not describing masculine, you're describing macho. I consider those very very different.
I don't think so. Macho, for me, is actively engaging in the most destructive aspects of masculinity, something out of Will Ferrels Anchorman or a caricature like that. Masculine films often don't need women at all, like war films, because the aspects and behaviors are not only displayed to the fairer sex.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I saw the movie this morning, and here are some of my thoughts before I read other reviews and taint my experience with the opinions of others.

If you were to ask me if I thought that megacorp Mattel would greenlight a Barbie movie about their doll escaping The Matrix and having an existential crisis about the nature of her reality and what it is to be an emotionally multi-dimensional human tainted with negative feelings about death and sadness, I wouldn't have believed you.

But here we are.

I have to say, it works. When other brand owners like Hasbro churn out CGI-shitfest after shitfest like Transformers with hardly any meaningful character development or dimensionality, and a contrived plot that revolves around a stupid McGuffin fetch quest that ends in a cliche skybeam with explosions all over the screen, Barbie is by comparison a breath of fresh air wrapped in real practical sets/effects that actually speaks to the tragedy and frailty of the human condition. Whether the movies message resonates with you, or makes you vomit, is another thing entirely, but I can't deny that this movie is comprised of all the core components I want to see in movies, even if I may not necessarily vibe with the overall theme. After all, I'm not little girl that plays with dolls. However, this movie is deceptively much more than a soulless vehicle for merchandising in that it has solid writing, solid acting, solid production values, great practical set design, good cinematography, and good directing. To be clear however, I'm not saying this movie ISN'T a vehicle for merchandising. It totally is. But it could have been a brain-dead corporate sellout cash grab. Instead it's more like a clever commercial wrapped in a good movie to reframe the narrative about what the role and message of Barbie in 2023 could be and why even dangerhairs can find something about Barbie to value. It's clever marketing jiu-jitsu. I have to commend Mattel for approving a script this unorthodox and risky instead of taking the safe, bland route.

Instead of a plot synopsis and review, I think I'll format this post in a series of questions and answers that I think might be useful, from what I have briefly skimmed in this thread on the way to the "post reply" button.

Does this move overuse CGI? No, it does not. It utilizes many practical sets and effects, with some CGI, and it does feel like the actors are in these environments and not on a green screen.

Does this movie have character development? Yes. There are multiple characters with dynamic character arcs whose actions are guided by motivations that make sense. Mostly. When they don't make sense, it's most likely for the sake of comedy/satire/hyperbole.

Does the plot make sense and is it structured logically? Yes. One of my main criticisms of films nowadays is how story beats aren't connected to each other and it's just a bunch of scenes with no narrative flow. Matt Stone and Trey Parker from South Park once made an interesting observation on how an engaging script should flow - that each scene should be connected not by "and then", but rather "but" or "therefore". Here they are explaining how it works:

Barbie exists in an alternate reality where everything is perfect. But she starts having thoughts about death and sadness. Therefore she ventures to the real world to fix it. But she soon realizes that the real world is not what she expected and that she is not the saviour of all women as she thought she was. Therefore Barbie undergoes a lot of harsh trials and emotionally traumatic experiences before she ultimately comes to a resolution as a newly realized independent being.

Does the movie contain a lot of references to other pop culture? Yes. 2001, Monty Python, The Matrix, Justice League, Saving Private Ryan, West Side Story, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, are some that were either strongly or vaguely referenced. You will either laugh or cringe at the Justice League joke. It has a lot of layers.

Is the acting good? Yes. The main actors all emote very well and have good chemistry together. The serious moments are serious and the silly moments are silly. The actors overall do a good job of conveying the levity or the gravitas of whatever the scene calls for.

Is the movie funny? Hit or miss. I had a few laughs, but not the bellylaugh type. More of a sensible chuckle, I see what u did thar laugh.

Is Barbie basically Misandry: The Movie? No, I don't think so. The themes of the movie are more complex than that and speak to what happens when the oppressed become the oppressor and vice versa. It speaks to what could happen to an ignorant second class populace, living in a world designed specifically to oppress them in that way, that receives the gift of the fruit of knowledge and then acts upon their newfound information. Are there caricatures of human behavior? Yes, but that is a vehicle for the satire and parody of the medium. From the naive dolls' point of view (both Barbie and Ken) the extreme portrayal of "real life" is probably how they would interpret it. The message isn't "men are bad". The message is more along the lines of "life is hard, and unfair institutionalized social constructs can be overcome. An existence that is contains pain and suffering but is free and with purpose can be more enticing than a life that is pleasurable yet static and ignorant. Both the men and women evolve to become more than they were at the start of the movie, aside from the extremely silly characters like the CEO.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I forgot to mention - one of the more darker, subversive, and poignant undertones in the film that couldn't be explored without making this an R-rated movie. You can see this point touched on by Joe Rogan as he talks about the nature of harassment and the contrast between men's and women's experiences.

That underlying truth that one of the main reasons that a patriarchy is even established in the real world is because of the threat of violence against women, who are the less physical of the two sexes. The Kens go about with their fake civil war, but as the CEO points out, there are no actual weapons and you can't actually get hurt in Barbieland. The Kens can't implement an actual patriarchy because 1. They don't have more than a superficial understanding of what it's supposed to be, and 2. They don't have any actual force or threat of violence behind them to enforce their authority.

Might makes right. Unless there's no might.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have to completely disagree with the summations of the film going around and being believed by many who haven't even seen the film.

First off, I have two younger sisters who played with Barbie a lot and at times I played with them and I've also in the past helped run a daycare for 7 years so I have quite a lot of observational experience with the whole Barbie thing. I thought it was so well done the way they not only did this thing where Barbieland was literally how the toys function, but expressing this whole kind of mental space of social play around Barbie. It is definitely its own unique construct and besides the concept of the relation of this activity to real life social constructs that they examine in the film, I just appreciated how they nailed this mood that is put on in order to "play Barbie" together particularly among the way little girls socialize, reflected in the Barbies of this film.

The commentary on the relationship between toys and reality in view of projection on/reflection back/social modeling/existential wrestling is something I love and is also deeply similar to what Blade Runner 2049 (and to a lesser extent yet closer in thematic proximity, Megan) addressed in view of technology. We create things while putting something of ourselves in it but then they start affecting us and so it goes back and forth. It happens with language and toys and social constructs. Examining this, many elements that the movie examines with toys can apply to things like Instagram. Philosophically it's just very rich with contemplation, yet so much of it is done in so many subtle touches and jokes. It's brilliant.

As for the feminist themes, I really liked how they flip-flopped things with Barbie and Ken more than once to demonstrate both similarities and differences of their experience of life and also perhaps to help some who may more naturally empathize with Ken to better understand and empathize with Barbie's feelings and experience. With the criticisms and depictions of toxic male traits it seems to go a bit overboard, nearly reaching misandrist levels and committing against men some of the things mentioned in Gloria's beautiful speech on the paradoxical burdens of expectation that women experience. It plays this into war of the sexes a bit, which is a means of drama and humor, but can be an uncomfy attitude toward each other that you don't want to teach or instill.

However, Gerwig being very insightful and not working against her own aims, ends the movie by building a bridge between sexes that many other creators do not bother to build as Barbie and Ken find themselves and each other more truly through the experience and needed heartful conversation. Because of this, I think that the more extreme criticism/frustration/reductionism concerning men earlier in the film is to express a mental space experienced amid certain societal patterns rather than "the truth about men" or considering it the ideal attitude to have about/toward them. Rather, we end on a note where we try to see and listen to each other better and make progress together while yet being existentially autonomous and that is very positive.

Now, this movie IS primarily about Barbie herself, not her relationship with Ken, so I wouldn't want to go too deep on Ken and I don't think Gerwig is out here trying to pretend to be an expert in conveying the male experience of life, so all this is by no means a criticism of her or the film. To the contrary, you can't explore the female experience without addressing feminist concerns, which involve men and their impacts, but you can't make a movie about Barbie and have it thoroughly explore both sides of that. It's a real challenge to involve just enough but not go too far and not take too much time and I think she handled it extremely well while keeping focus in the headspace of her three leading ladies.

The finale is very interesting indeed. Gerwig at several points of the film wonderfully captured some very complex sets of feelings. Utilizing both an absolutely incredible, diverse, nuanced, complex, dynamic performance by Margot Robbie and special ordered soundtrack and dreamlike imagery, she takes you right into the emotional weight of it all, the swirl of life and purpose and desire and relationship. Barbie is encountering it for the first time and she is observing and feeling the common humanity of us all and wanting to embrace it richly. Gerwig leaves us with questions not only for ourselves but of these things we create to represent ourselves, whether they be Barbie dolls or a persona we project to others or movie just like this.

We make ideas come to life. That is essential to human identity, yet what do we do with those ideas as they start to develop a life of their own? The poignant lines from Ruth at the end explicitly drive this home as the meaning that the movie searches and invites us to search. The concept and presentation of the whole movie is surreal, yet feels quite natural as it comes to dig at the most real parts of us. Somehow it manages to do all this while also being incredibly entertaining, funny, and concise. It's an achievement far beyond my expectations for it and may well be my film of the year.

Regarding this movie being perceived as misandrist, I think people are missing an incredibly important nuance of concept. Barbieland is not a representation of the real world or what it should be. Barbieland in this film is the mental space of Gloria in reference to her sense of personal identity, self worth, and potentials. The film very explicitly explains this not only in the intro sequence but specifically in reference as to what is happening to Barbie and why she needs to go to the real world. So everything in Barbieland is about how Gloria feels as she bears the burden of her experiences in life.

Because of this, Ken is representative of how she has been viewing men her whole life. Quite frankly, she doesn't much regard them in terms of their own personhood, but rather only in the context of how they relate to her. "Ken is only important when Barbie looks at him" is not a knock on Ken having an insecure ego, but it's a knock on how Gloria has been regarding men, or rather, how she does not. The fallout between Barbie and Ken isn't a representation of Ken being corrupted and how evil men are, but of Gloria's view of men falling apart due to her perception of them as interpreted through the challenges she faces in society. This is unfair to Ken and the movie very clearly depicts a very serious unfairness to Ken as being one of the main causes of his own disenfranchisement and embrace of anything that values him.

Consequently, the Barbies who fall under the spell of his influence are not to represent all of life and society in the real world being garbage, but rather how placating to a disenfranchised man's desire to be admired is not the solution to the problem of his disenfranchisement or the rift between sexes. Now, some may argue it is still painting a negative picture of men in society, but I honestly don't think you have to have an agenda to encounter negative experiences with men. Nearly every single woman I know (entire extended family, friends, coworkers) has suffered abusive behavior from men. I myself on some occasions in life have suffered abusive behavior from men. Have I from women? No. Toxic behavior yes, but not abuse. It is VERY common and yes common enough that many women become doubtful and judgmental of men in general. Is it fair and rational to good men? No. Is it a real issue you can make a movie about? Yes.

Yet while that negative response is very real and common and depicted in Gloria's teenage daughter, there is also the placating response. To those who may think women never sell themselves short in order to placate to men, I really must ask... have you ever been on Instagram? Even once? That is just the tip of the iceberg. That also is just a very real and observable trend that you don't need a political agenda to recognize. Many men who complain about "woke" feminism and love women flaunting their sexuality and acting servile in various things will turn around and make every effort to prevent their daughters from choosing those paths. Yet this film isn't saying that either the negativity or placating are a correct response. It is saying that both are a lazy and detached response to the problem of not understanding why men are choosing what they do and giving into either is giving up on the dignity of both women and men.

That Matchbox 20 song the Kens sing to the Barbies is actually supposed to represent the mental space of a girlfriend who abused one of the band members, yet it ended up resonating with angst and angry temptations in a lot of men among their fanbase and became a big controversy/discussion with feminist groups. Choosing that song highlighted not merely the toxic place the Kens fell to but also the relationship to Barbie and how women had felt those same things before, so the problem isn't going to be found from the sexes alienating each other or we'll just end up causing the same hurt in each other in a pendulum swing.

Barbie was feeling terrible about the whole situation and at one point wanted to give up and "wait until some of the leader Barbies" did something about it, but that wasn't the answer. Even taking back Barbieland itself wasn't about women taking over society, because Barbieland isn't society it is an analogy for the mental space of women to dream about life's potential for themselves. Sasha wasn't a Barbie who got programmed but rather a very conscious teenager, but "her Barbieland" had been destroyed by despair over toxic results of patriarchal patterns just like Barbie was experiencing at her lows. She didn't have hope to dream, only to be angry at men. Reclaiming Barbieland was representative of reclaiming hope to dream.

So it concludes that the Barbies had to escape from patriarchal explanations for their dissatisfaction and find their own voice and space to be, that in itself being Barbieland. Yet once they have reclaimed that space to be of themselves it was time to reconcile with the Kens because apparently they had made mistakes in how they related to Kens which is why there was even a crisis in the first place. And if Barbie is not women but a representation of women's perceived potentials, then Ken is not men but a representation of men's perceived potentials. So that reconciliation is about reclaiming hope that men aren't just naturally horrible and the answer isn't in leaving no room to relate to them, but working through the disenfranchisement that society impacts upon us all in differing ways and the confusion inherent to life and growing up together.

It's not only Ken realizing he can be "just Ken" but also Barbie realizing that Ken's existence isn't only in relation to her and when she thinks of him that way it hurts him, just like she can be hurt that way. While the perceptions of the Kens being immature, vain, and petty were definitely present earlier in the film, the scenes of reconciliation revealed that these things were true of how Barbie had been living her life and taking Ken for granted. But from her time in the real world she had seen and absorbed a sense of all of humanity in all their variety and seen the commonality of dignities and needs among them, so she could see now Ken has the same needs that she does and breaks down to negative spaces just like she does.

So no, this is absolutely not some extremist feminist misandry propaganda. It is taking a very real look at how we view ourselves and others and how we estimate our meaning in the midst of each other and advocates respecting the fact that everyone else of both sexes around us are on the journey of joys and pains and learning too, so we should try to be fair and even helpfully communicative to one another even within our disappointments of what we may or may not mean to others. I don't think I have ever seen any feminist work be this fair to men or offer critique that maybe women have not been handling their relation to men correctly with an aim toward reconciliation rather than diminishing men in some way.

Very thoughtful post. Nicely written.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This is absolutely the most pathetic thing that’s ever been put on the internet.
I do wonder if he's just playing it up for views? I have no idea with him. He's an objectively smart guy but he also says some stupid things, so I have no idea lol.

In either case the marketing for this movie is brilliant. Grown men going to see a (girls) toy movie and feeling the need to share their opinion on it as only fueled this movies success. I have no interest in it whatsoever myself, but its success is fascinating to me.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I do wonder if he's just playing it up for views? I have no idea with him. He's an objectively smart guy but he also says stupid things, so I have no idea lol.

In either case the marketing for this movie is brilliant. Grown men going to see a (girls) toy movie and feeling the need to share their opinion on it as only fueled this movies success. I have no interest in it whatsoever myself, but its success is fascinating to me.

Who knows what the actual intention is, but the results speak for themselves. His video is at 1 million views now. Outrage, real or fake, sells.

FunkMiller

Oh yeah, me too. It has been an absolute masterpiece of marketing from the get go. Easily WB's best since The Dark Knight. They've manipulated insecure men to sell their movie for them. Masterful stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oh yeah, me too. It has been an absolute masterpiece of marketing from the get go. Easily WB's best since The Dark Knight. They've manipulated insecure men to sell their movie for them. Masterful stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's worked in other ways too. My girlfriends a big leftie and her whole motivation to go see it is just because it pissed Shapiro off. Truly masterful. They're playing everyone.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It's worked in other ways too. My girlfriends a big leftie and her whole motivation is to go see it just because it pissed Shapiro off. Truly masterful. They're playing everyone.

As I said earlier in this thread, it's one big, very successful troll. They hid what the movie was to incur maximum attention on release.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That underlying truth that one of the main reasons that a patriarchy is even established in the real world is because of the threat of violence against women, who are the less physical of the two sexes. The Kens go about with their fake civil war, but as the CEO points out, there are no actual weapons and you can't actually get hurt in Barbieland. The Kens can't implement an actual patriarchy because 1. They don't have more than a superficial understanding of what it's supposed to be, and 2. They don't have any actual force or threat of violence behind them to enforce their authority.

Might makes right. Unless there's no might.
Another consideration of something that has dictated a womans need to be protected and limits their ambitions .....pregnancy.

I'm curious, is there any point where Barbie sees a baby and longs for that most feminine of experiences? I note most feminists tend to sweep pregnancy under the rug unless its that "only women can CREATE life, men can only destroy" retort.

Ulysses 31

Another consideration of something that has dictated a womans need to be protected and limits their ambitions .....pregnancy.

I'm curious, is there any point where Barbie sees a baby and longs for that most feminine of experiences? I note most feminists tend to sweep pregnancy under the rug unless its that "only women can CREATE life, men can only destroy" retort.
Naw, they expect them to be girl bosses like Marissa Mayer who kept working shortly after delivering twins. :messenger_winking_tongue:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I saw the movie this morning, and here are some of my thoughts before I read other reviews and taint my experience with the opinions of others.

If you were to ask me if I thought that megacorp Mattel would greenlight a Barbie movie about their doll escaping The Matrix and having an existential crisis about the nature of her reality and what it is to be an emotionally multi-dimensional human tainted with negative feelings about death and sadness, I wouldn't have believed you.

But here we are.

I have to say, it works. When other brand owners like Hasbro churn out CGI-shitfest after shitfest like Transformers with hardly any meaningful character development or dimensionality, and a contrived plot that revolves around a stupid McGuffin fetch quest that ends in a cliche skybeam with explosions all over the screen, Barbie is by comparison a breath of fresh air wrapped in real practical sets/effects that actually speaks to the tragedy and frailty of the human condition. Whether the movies message resonates with you, or makes you vomit, is another thing entirely, but I can't deny that this movie is comprised of all the core components I want to see in movies, even if I may not necessarily vibe with the overall theme. After all, I'm not little girl that plays with dolls. However, this movie is deceptively much more than a soulless vehicle for merchandising in that it has solid writing, solid acting, solid production values, great practical set design, good cinematography, and good directing. To be clear however, I'm not saying this movie ISN'T a vehicle for merchandising. It totally is. But it could have been a brain-dead corporate sellout cash grab. Instead it's more like a clever commercial wrapped in a good movie to reframe the narrative about what the role and message of Barbie in 2023 could be and why even dangerhairs can find something about Barbie to value. It's clever marketing jiu-jitsu. I have to commend Mattel for approving a script this unorthodox and risky instead of taking the safe, bland route.

Instead of a plot synopsis and review, I think I'll format this post in a series of questions and answers that I think might be useful, from what I have briefly skimmed in this thread on the way to the "post reply" button.

Does this move overuse CGI? No, it does not. It utilizes many practical sets and effects, with some CGI, and it does feel like the actors are in these environments and not on a green screen.

Does this movie have character development? Yes. There are multiple characters with dynamic character arcs whose actions are guided by motivations that make sense. Mostly. When they don't make sense, it's most likely for the sake of comedy/satire/hyperbole.

Does the plot make sense and is it structured logically? Yes. One of my main criticisms of films nowadays is how story beats aren't connected to each other and it's just a bunch of scenes with no narrative flow. Matt Stone and Trey Parker from South Park once made an interesting observation on how an engaging script should flow - that each scene should be connected not by "and then", but rather "but" or "therefore". Here they are explaining how it works:

Barbie exists in an alternate reality where everything is perfect. But she starts having thoughts about death and sadness. Therefore she ventures to the real world to fix it. But she soon realizes that the real world is not what she expected and that she is not the saviour of all women as she thought she was. Therefore Barbie undergoes a lot of harsh trials and emotionally traumatic experiences before she ultimately comes to a resolution as a newly realized independent being.

Does the movie contain a lot of references to other pop culture? Yes. 2001, Monty Python, The Matrix, Justice League, Saving Private Ryan, West Side Story, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, are some that were either strongly or vaguely referenced. You will either laugh or cringe at the Justice League joke. It has a lot of layers.

Is the acting good? Yes. The main actors all emote very well and have good chemistry together. The serious moments are serious and the silly moments are silly. The actors overall do a good job of conveying the levity or the gravitas of whatever the scene calls for.

Is the movie funny? Hit or miss. I had a few laughs, but not the bellylaugh type. More of a sensible chuckle, I see what u did thar laugh.

Is Barbie basically Misandry: The Movie? No, I don't think so. The themes of the movie are more complex than that and speak to what happens when the oppressed become the oppressor and vice versa. It speaks to what could happen to an ignorant second class populace, living in a world designed specifically to oppress them in that way, that receives the gift of the fruit of knowledge and then acts upon their newfound information. Are there caricatures of human behavior? Yes, but that is a vehicle for the satire and parody of the medium. From the naive dolls' point of view (both Barbie and Ken) the extreme portrayal of "real life" is probably how they would interpret it. The message isn't "men are bad". The message is more along the lines of "life is hard, and unfair institutionalized social constructs can be overcome. An existence that is contains pain and suffering but is free and with purpose can be more enticing than a life that is pleasurable yet static and ignorant. Both the men and women evolve to become more than they were at the start of the movie, aside from the extremely silly characters like the CEO.

Thanks for the writeup. Will go see it with an open mind this week.

I wish I knew it’s was going to be the fucking feminist manifesto before I walked in there. I actually feel bad for the kids that see it, pure brain cancer.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I'm happy they didn't go down the " Barbie has been living a lie...for years she had that feeling..that feeling she was in the wrong body..and now she's sure..now, she knows. She will be ken, in a very real, and metaphorical way.." route.. 😂

Chaplain

Video: Brainwash Barbie - The Becket Cook Show Ep. 132
In today’s episode, Becket reviews the Barbie movie and addresses its extreme feminist overtones. This movie was hard to watch no only because the plot didn’t make any sense but because of the non-stop propaganda throughout. This is a must (not) see movie!

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I wish I knew it’s was going to be the fucking feminist manifesto before I walked in there. I actually feel bad for the kids that see it, pure brain cancer.
Of course it was going to be a feminist story.

I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was fine. A bit preachy/too on the noise at times, right down to featuring a feminist speech at some point in the story that I didn't particularly care about, but the girl I was with at the cinema said she felt that speech's message relatable and touching, so it depends on your life experience, I guess. I can understand why it would be powerful to some women, but I'm not the intended target audience for it. Outside of that, the movie had some good humor, clever ideas and a nuanced ending that gets better the more you think about it.

EDIT: Disagree with it being extremist feminism. At some point, it felt like it was going in that direction, but you have to misinterpret the ending pretty hard (or fallen asleep or left the theatre before it finished) if you believe the movie was appealing to any kind of extremism at all.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Nice movie but not for kids, do not know the U.S. rating but here in Mexico they promoted it to kids and a lot of families left the theathres disapointed.

Is a movie for Adults , a nice one has funny and stupid moments but in general is better than expected.

Saber

Gold Member
Nice movie but not for kids, do not know the U.S. rating but here in Mexico they promoted it to kids and a lot of families left the theathres disapointed.

Is a movie for Adults , a nice one has funny and stupid moments but in general is better than expected.

I think is doing exact on purpose. To act pretty much like The Mario movie, except that Mario is actually loyal to the game material(meaning the propaganda was correct).
This one feels like just want the promotion to fish the kids. They just want the little kids to see Barbie logo and scream to their parents to go watch it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks for the writeup. Will go see it with an open mind this week.

I can't promise you're going to love it. Everyone's tastes are subjective, after all. But it does contain enough of the elements of what I think a well written, well edited, well directed, and well acted movie "should" contain.

I feel like a lot of people are going to be uncomfortable watching this movie for a variety of reasons. Maybe they don't give the satire the benefit of the doubt and interpret tongue-in-cheek scenes more harshly than needed. Maybe they're shocked at how traumatic the portrayal of the ugly side of human nature can be. Maybe they see some of the negative behavior exhibited by either Barbieland or the real world, which forces them to reflect on their own similar personal flaws. Maybe they just want to turn off their brain but don't like watching a movie that makes them think about the philosophy of the duality of mankind. Maybe they suffer from "eternally online syndrome" and when faced with a political message they don't like, must mentally circle the wagons to prevent "brainwashing", otherwise known as "thoughtfulness". I'm not saying that everyone that doesn't like this movie is hating the movie in bad faith. There are legit good faith reasons not to like this movie, but when the public discourse is so polluted as it is nowadays, it's nearly impossible to either like a thing or dislike a thing without people assuming you had to do so because you picked a side.

All I know is that if I'm being honest with myself, I'd be a hypocrite if I complained about the writing/acting/cgi/safeness/blandness of modern AAA blockbuster moviemaking but then when handed a movie like Barbie go on to say, "oh not like that though" all because it hurts my feelings or doesn't align with the narrative I like.

They took an IP about a fucking doll from the 50s and turned it into The Matrix for girls. That's impressive. I'll take "wtf am I watching" Barbie over "ooo 'splosions!" Transformers any day.

The fact that this movie is creating more political controversy than that other movie about the most impressive effort in history to develop the most destructive weapon the Earth has ever known that instantly fucking vaporized 200,000 people in an effort to defeat one of the most ruthless empires to have existed on Earth is really telling about how stupid our internet discourse has become and how misaligned our emotional priorities are with what is actually important in reality.

Top Bottom