• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Based on what we know, will the PS4 will be THE multiplatform console next gen?

Just listening to Patrick on Giantbomb and he said that 3rd Party support for the consoles will be a "blood bath" and certain companies are aligning themselves with certain consoles. That timed exclusives will be a thing.

There are a lot of rumors surrounding this. Especially among some of the bigger publishers which is surprising.

dab0ne

Developers started using PS3 as their baseline in 2008.

Edit: meaning, PS3 owners didn't always get the better version, but games and systems were designed around what would work on the PS3, at minimum. More work went into those versions of the game. The myth of the "half-assed PS3 port" is just that: mostly a myth.

They might not have been "half assed" as far as work was concerned but the play and presentation certainly felt that way with some titles.

Ding-Ding

I think this gen things will lead from the top down as everything is close to being based on PC hardware.

So with the PC leading and everything pointing to advantage PS4 in the console stakes, then yes it looks like it will be the default console for multiplats.

As for the whole "it would hurt sales if there isn't parity" sounds like nonsense. 3rd parties dont really care that much about that just as long as it sells, regardless of platform.

What they will care about is if a competitor of theirs utilises the supposed power advantage the PS4 has and being made to look inferior in comparison, as that will hurt its entire franchise.

Opiate

Just listening to Patrick on Giantbomb and he said that 3rd Party support for the consoles will be a "blood bath" and certain companies are aligning themselves with certain consoles. That timed exclusives will be a thing.

Whoa, what was his evidence for this? That seems very surprising.

Where were you listening to Patrick? Bombcast?

Isn't this information from early 2012 in the case of Microsofts console? Specs which SuperDaE claims are no longer up to date, which was initially met as bullshit, but may have been correct: http://kotaku.com/5986239/the-rise-and-fall-of-superdae-a-most-unusual-video-game-hacker

Richard Ledbetter is a much more credible source than SuperDae. A guy who writes about gaming tech for a living, vs a dude with a twitter account. Think about it.

KidBeta

Isn't this information from early 2012 in the case of Microsofts console? Specs which SuperDaE claims are no longer up to date, which was initially met as bullshit, but may have been correct: http://kotaku.com/5986239/the-rise-and-fall-of-superdae-a-most-unusual-video-game-hacker

The amount of time it takes to verify and actually produce a console with a motherboard + all the other bits and bobs and having to respin it actually get it working, is around a year or so. The specs would have been locked down last year with minor changes happening (changing of amount of ram, clock speeds, etc) but one thing that will not happen is that the CPU / GPU will not change from what they are currently are.

If there do, Microsoft will not be releasing this year.

noobasuar

Banned

I can believe this. I could see EA partnering with Microsoft in hopes of pushing Sony out of the hardware bushiness while at the same time eliminating some other studios that they compete with.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I have a strange feeling if microsoft blocks used games they'll have a ton of exclusives.

What if then, everyone just went to PS4 because MS was blocking used games.
Everyone would say "thanks for trying but no-one is buying your system" and they will all come to PS4.
It's just gonna backfire on MS, thus why I believe they won't do it.

On-Topic: If it is as developer centric as they said then yes, but we need to see Microsofts hand first.

I wrote that post based on the idea that they will target the weaker machine. But when you consider how similar the hardware is, and the architecture, wouldn't it be quite simple to just turn up the anti aliasing, or jack up the shadow quality for the PS4 version, just like a PC gamer would now?

In other words, they're so similar that taking advantage of those extra ponies in the PS4 should take very little effort, thus ensuring most devs will do it.

I don't know anything about programming, but would it really be that easy. Like if you wrote identical code for both versions, is it as easy as just writing a few different lines of code or flipping a metaphorical switch so to speak to turn up antialiasing or shadow quality?

I think I might be leaning toward the idea that multiplats will be like this gen where they look nearly identical, but one of the two will see better performing or slightly better looking ports with PS4 looking to have the tech advantage this gen. Then again, I imagine sales play a big deal. Hypothetically (this is just a hypothetical) if Durango were to drastically outsell the PS4, wouldn't it make business sense to focus resources on the platform with the most sales even if it's less technically capable?

Obviously, I imagine the big disparity will be between the first-party offerings right? Like how Naughty Dog basically could to just focus on the PS3 and squeeze everything out of it while third parties were just trying to make sure PS3 and 360 versions were running at near parity.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can believe this. I could see EA partnering with Microsoft in hopes of pushing Sony out of the hardware bushiness while at the same time eliminating some other studios that they compete with.
Why in the world would EA do that, considering all the PS3 exclusives/advertising they did with Sony?

aegies

EA has, and has always had, a closer relationship with Sony than Microsoft. They are a strategic partner. Signed, someone who has to use fucking Dualshock 3s at every Battlefield 3 DLC event.

sleepykyo

Sony currently money hats EA for timed exclusive DLC so they have a good relationship so we'll see how that translates to next gen.

EA seems pretty fickle. Guess that should be the next armchair game.

Still, I'd imagine most companies are aligned with Microsoft. Should be interesting when Capcom, SquareEnix and Sega officially align with Microsoft (again).

iceatcs

No way. EA can't afford lose FIFA PS users.

orioto

Good Art™
I wonder, depsite the potential tech advantages we know, how important will be the way the major tool developers will work with Microsoft or Sony. I fear for Sony that Microsoft always have an advantage for that cause of its pc dominance.

I just can't see that happening. Money rules these corporations. MS would have to drop some serious coin for that kind of deal. It seems like it could easily backfire on EA leaving them in a bad spot. I'm not sure they have much to gain from that scenario.

There's a financial disincentive to make one version look significantly better than the other, generally. If both console bases think your game looks great, neither feels slighted (except for the crazies who insist their version has to be better, because their console is better, because REASONS).
Even then, without consciously adding effects that make 2 versions disparate, there will be things like consistent framerate and less tearing that are just a side effect of running on better hardware and not necessarily coded for. And apparently a few fps is enough to sway many Gaffers toward one version.

Tinfoil hat time, but if Microsoft goes the no-used-games route and Sony doesn't, what are the odds some third parties willfully make their games better for the Xbox?
I don't know, but those devs will be skewered by the gamer community, and Digital Foundry will either out them for it, or go silent. DF has a precedent of questioning why developers didn't take advantage of some of the hardware features of the 360, when the PS3 version ended up superior.

We don't know anything about Durango though, unless you consider rumors (possibly based on outdated information considering SuperDAE may have been telling the truth) to be a worthy point of comparison.
Well, yeah. It's a given that all this discussion is based on rumored specs until we get official ones. It's all hypothetical talk that interests some people. There was a whole bunch of speculative comparisons based on Sony going with 4GB of GDDR5, and that obviously changed.

That's the "special sauce" that could actually trump inferior hardware. Nintendo started next gen moneyhatting Monster Hunter and Bayonetta. If Sony or Microsoft(more likely of the 2) were to pay for timed-exclusivity of the first next gen COD, it'd be a huge blow if not game over for the other platform holder.

Wrong company with EA

EA has, and has always had, a closer relationship with Sony than Microsoft. They are a strategic partner. Signed, someone who has to use fucking Dualshock 3s at every Battlefield 3 DLC event.

Yup. That relationship sounds like its only gotten stronger for the next generation.

V_Ben

Banned

Oh yeah... that's going to be a huge thing. Both manufacturers are actively chasing third party timed exclusives. Alignments are still forming, but it probably isn't worth drawing those out from the third parties that appeared at Sony's reveal.

Corto

But timed exclusivity and exclusive special offers is/was something pretty prevalent this current generation. Bethesda, Activision, Rockstar aligned with Microsoft, EA, Warner Brothers and Ubisoft aligned with Sony. Maybe those will carry over to next generation?

CJ_75

Those next generations consoles are so similar that you can buy an Durango game, pop in your PS4 and start playing.

V_Ben

Banned
But timed exclusivity is/was something pretty prevalent this current generation. Bethesda, Activision, Rockstar aligned with Microsoft, EA, Warner Brothers and Ubisoft aligned with Sony. Maybe those will carry over to next generation?

I wouldn't say Rockstar aligned with Microsoft. They paid them a bunch of money to have that GTA4 DLC, but apart from that they were fairly even, apart from the odd weird bit of content being exclusive to PS3 (red dead and LA Noire had stuff)

Bethesda though...

Krilekk

Banned
Wrong company with EA

Yup. That relationship sounds like its only gotten stronger for the next generation.

If they wanted to MS could just buy EA. They paid 20 billion for Skype, EA is worth 5.3 billion right now. If the relationship was strong they'd have been at the PS4 reveal.

aegies

Either side is taking a risk on exclusive content. If one console gains a good enough foothold ahead of the other, it really won't even matter.

Salvadora

I naively thought this was a thing of the past, in all honesty. I wonder if Microsoft's used game ban was the price they had to pay for it.

EA seems pretty fickle. Guess that should be the next armchair game.

Still, I'd imagine most companies are aligned with Microsoft. Should be interesting when Capcom, SquareEnix and Sega officially align with Microsoft (again).

I don't see many Japanese companies align with MS this upcoming gen if both system come out around the same time still i could be wrong .

Corto

If they wanted to MS could just buy EA. They paid 20 billion for Skype, EA is worth 5.3 billion right now. If the relationship was strong they'd have been at the PS4 reveal.

Why stop at EA? Considering the same metric Microsoft could buy Sony wholesale and end this once and for all. hehehe If only it were that easy...

Darryl

Banned
I'm not going to assume anything until I see official specs for the nextbox.

it's pretty dangerous to place any bets this early. i'm still thinking that MS is going to go all out on this console to take over the home box space - throwing way more resources at it than Sony can afford to do.

It really depends on what Microsoft do. If they fuck up and make the 720 online only and unable to play used games then something like that could harm the system so much that the PS4 is default.

On the other hand Sony could fuck up with something we don't know about yet and send it in Microsofts direction.

I think the one thing we can safely say is that the default console definitely won't be the Wii U.

This.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

He's right.

DBT85

As others have said, Fifa is massive in Europe, and Sony is massive in Europe. I cannot fathom EA going heavily into Microsoft's corner and abandoning Sony at least on that franchise.

Reiko

Banned
He's right.

ehlxld.gif

Again.

i-Lo

Can I get the link please?

Thanks.

Top Bottom