• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Based on your prime childhood era here, are you Gen X, Millennial, or Zoomer?

Which one resonated most with your childhood?

• Total voters

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Of course not, man. Forums like this are for old people for the most part.
Those kids don’t know what they are missing. The feeling of community in a forum like GAF is hard to replace.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
1982, but I seem more late Gen X/early Millennial.
And yet again I'm suck in between the two

Wow, no Zoomers on the poll so far. GAF seems to skew older. Other sites like Reddit are completely dominated by Zoomer teens (i.e. the "My mom grounded me" and "Minecraft good Fortnite bad" posts).

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
M3M5SZN.jpg

Gp1

Considering that things arrived a little late here.

Late gen X RoboCop, Top gun, ROTJ, Back to the future, Nes, 85 born kid

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Late Gen X with a little mix of Core X culture wise because Brazil was behind the rest of the world at the time so a lot of what we consumed was Core Gen X (for example. while kids in other countries were playing NES we were still with the Atari) when the 16 Bit Gen came we started to play what the rest of the world was playing and it's been current since then (with astronomic prices but still).

I enjoy stuff from all of these eras (be it cartoons, games and stuff like that). And since my daughter is a late zoomer I enjoy a lot of that stuff from her cultural landscape as well. I call it my second childhood.

ps: why did millennials became so insufferable when most of the stuff from the early and core millennial eras was really good shit?

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Gp1

Hinedorf

Banned
Early millennials had the best shit! Back in the day you weren't a bully if you didn't have a mullet and red hair....god life was so easy!

1w8t-JcnDd_0Go7zXkQZmY75f95dl045ziHIesqK-VU.jpg

kunonabi

Man, Late Gen X really wipes the floor with everything else. The best part was we still had plenty of easy access to stuff from the earlier periods on syndication so we didn't really miss out on much.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The ass end of Late Gen X...lol....and early millennial/gen y

god damn @how lame most of that zoomer shit looks

lock2k

Banned
The ass end of Late Gen X...lol....and early millennial/gen y

god damn @how lame most of that zoomer shit looks

I don't know if it's because I have a 5 year old in the house but I love a lot of the transition shows between core and late zoomer and some of the latest zoomer stuff has some quirky humor and it reminds me of early 90's nickelodeon stuff. I also unashamedly love Teen Titans Go.

Collz69

I went for core Gen X even though almost every picture in late Gen X featured in my childhood I still feel core Gen X (born in 77) is where I belong.

According to most sites I am Millennial, born in ‘82, came of age at the of the millennium, Turned 18 in 2000.
millennials were born roughly 1981-1996 according to those sites, though many try to dodge being a millennial by saying they are Gen X when they may not be.

But some even say a combo of late gen x/early millennial, because we were the last gen that we’re pre mainstream internet age & pre modern tech age, but also first Gen to enter into the modern digital world in our Youth

So who Knows? think I’ll go for the combo X-Millennial

I was also born in 82. We hit that sweet spot of pre-internet merging and I consider the Late gen X early millennial as my exact middle. We had the best generation before toys were made safe and everything went to hell.

Skyfox

My kid was born a few years ago - what comes after zoomers?

I'm trying to make sure her media is of the highest calibre but I'm afraid her classmates will be tablet toddlers raised on unfiltered YouTube.

Might need to ramp up her self defence lessons...

Cutty Flam

Banned
These classifications are lame as fuck but I resonate with the two that range from Ren & Stimpy, Doug, Are You Afraid Of The Dark, Space Jam one to Kablam!, N64/PS, Pokemon

And how the forgot about Spongebob ........... man that is unforgivable. That one should fall in the Ren & Stimpy section towards the bottom of the picture. It was essentially the the same thing except way more charming and refined whereas Ren & Stimpy was the perfect mix of outlandish, crazy, ridiculous, and taboo humor. Fuck I miss those times...

I would give my left nut to go back in time and re-live those days as a kid

highrider

Banned
Old.

Was born in 67 but didn’t have much attachment to popular culture because my parents only allowed us to watch pre-approved pbs stuff as kids, and I was high energy, never watched tv and played video games until I was fairly well in to my 30s and became a dad. I do absolutely remember movies like Jaws and Star Wars which eventually my parents would cave and let us go see 👍

Last edited:
Late Gen X and Early Millennial, tho from glancing at the 'stuff' I'd say I skew a bit more into Late Gen X.... though I'll take more from Core Millennial compared to Core Gen X which feels a little before my time. (born '81)

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Kind of in between Early Millennial and Core. The only thing I cared for as a kid was video games, so I based it off of the systems I had access to when I was a kid (Genesis / SNES / N64).

If you think about it, the jump in tech from 1990 to 2000 is crazy.

1990:

2000:

Meanwhile, there hasn't really been THAT big of a jump from 2010 to 2020...

Kind of in between Early Millennial and Core. The only thing I cared for as a kid was video games, so I based it off of the systems I had access to when I was a kid (Genesis / SNES / N64).

If you think about it, the jump in tech from 1990 to 2000 is crazy.

1990:

2000:

Meanwhile, there hasn't really been THAT big of a jump from 2010 to 2020...

Gaming technology has been mostly perfected in recent years. Only minor changes from 2010 to 2020. Maybe there'll be another jump in the future with virtual reality.

K1Expwy

Playing Genesis at home and SNES with friends, and drawing the curtains to block any sunlight so I could watch BTAS in the dark, is definitely my childhood. So based on that meme I'm early M

And how the forgot about Spongebob ........... man that is unforgivable. That one should fall in the Ren & Stimpy section towards the bottom of the picture. It was essentially the the same thing except way more charming and refined whereas Ren & Stimpy was the perfect mix of outlandish, crazy, ridiculous, and taboo humor. Fuck I miss those times...
Pre-movie Spongebob is in there, on the line between core and late

poodaddy

Born in 87, so I guess late Gen X would be my answer. I know I'm technically a millennial, but I don't really feel much kinship with that demographic at all. Always felt like I "got" the gen Xers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
1981 here

So I still feel like I’m between gens because “late Gen X” is mostly those vague memories from ages like 4-9 in early childhood whereas “Early Gen Y” is all stuff I remember well as a kid.

Top Bottom