• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Basement freezer is dead. It also smells like it's dead. What do?

nkarafo

So yeah, i went down to the storage and something smelled weird. I opened the freezer and... there was nothing that would prepare me for this.

The thing was full of dead meaty things. Got some rubber gloves and something to cover my mouth and nose and managed to put everything in a garbage bag but now there is a pond of water mixed with a liquid of death that can probably kill you if you are too close. So i sealed it again (thankfully it seems airtight so there are no leaks to the floor) but the smell is still around a pretty large distance.

Now i'm stuck. What should i do? I mean, i'd rather go inside the Chernobyl melted reactor and hug the elephant's foot than go in my storage again this year. Even if the freezer isn't really dead and it was something else that caused this, how on earth will i be able to use it again?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Should have a drain plug on the bottom back, you could move it over to your basement drain and let it discharge there.

If there is no plug, than I’d suggest a good gallon of bleach poured into it before you do anything. That’ll kill anything. Than you can drain with a pump if you want, or just bucket it out (wearing good dealers gloves).

nkarafo

Yeah, i already poured a lot of bleach (and a few other products i could find tbh) before i sealed it.

Not sure if there is a drain plug. I'll have to check that but the first thing i need to do is to move the freezer outside somewhere.

mcz117chief

Should have a drain plug on the bottom back, you could move it over to your basement drain and let it discharge there.

If there is no plug, than I’d suggest a good gallon of bleach poured into it before you do anything. That’ll kill anything. Than you can drain with a pump if you want, or just bucket it out (wearing good dealers gloves).
This man knows his freezers

Not too old. 3 or 4 years.

Shouldn't that still fall under warranty? These things usually do have pretty long ones. I have a freezer at my grandma's house that is over 15 years old and still runs perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Bluntman

It's not necessarly dead. Did you check the fuse on the electric circle it's connected to?

Because at our house sometimes what happens is, when there is a power outage and then the power comes back and suddenly every appliance tries to take electricity at once, it kickes down the fuse.

I always check after a power outage.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Shouldn't that still fall under warranty? These things usually do have pretty long ones. I have a freezer at my grandma's house that is over 15 years old and still runs perfectly fine.
I asked my father and it turns out it's older, he got it in late 00s.

It's not necessarly dead. Did you check the fuse on the electric circle it's connected to?

Because at our house sometimes what happens is, when there is a power outage and then the power comes back and suddenly every appliance tries to take electricity at once, it kickes down the fuse.

I always check after a power outage.
Yeah i have to check about all that. Thing is that the smell is probably never going to come off so i'm not sure if i want to.

nkarafo

Ok so i managed to clean up all the goo from the freezer without spilling a single drop outside. There was no drain plug but thank god it was watertight.

Then i brushed the inside with some vinegar, poured the whole bottle in and sealed it. I think i will keep it like this for today. Now i need to burn my clothes and sleep in the bathtube. I'm not sure about the shoes though.

Last edited:

MultiCore

Try an ozone generator. That's what the use commercially to get rid of offensive smells.

Gotta be careful with that though.

Top Bottom