• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
What made the soundtrack really stand out for me were the non-instrumental songs; they're rare in games, and it's even rarer that they're actually good (and relevant to the story!).

Minsc

Gold Member
I found the soundtrack to be nice enough to merit a post-completion purchase, I like the mix of instruments and clarity / pacing of the tracks.

How is the PC version? Do you think this will be on the xmas sale or should I buy it now?

Plays perfectly, runs on almost anything, gamepad (ideally) or kb+m. There's a demo to be safe, you could try that first. The game gets much better after the first four or five hours when you start accumulating more weapons and buildings.

KarmaCow's definitely correct, it should go on sale again at some point during the holiday discounts, it's been on sale quite a few times now.

Red

I gifted this to my brother a few days ago on Steam, and just happened to see him playing when I stopped over at his place. He has a 4890. For some reason, no matter what settings I tried, his game ran half speed. Enabling and disabling vsync did nothing, did not notice tearing with it off, but the game still felt sluggish. I had a few frame rate problems when playing on 360, but it was still smooth the majority of the time. The PC version felt like running through syrup. Is this a known issue? I updated his drivers (he was on 11.2), but that made no difference.

Esiquio

Sunk about eight hours into this game so far and I just accidentally
escaped from the Anklegator Queen instead of finishing the fight.
This game is great, so glad I bought it + the soundtrack for ~$8. Build that Wall is an amazing song. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding some of the story as it is rich but told in a minimalistic and slightly cryptic way, but I think it's starting to come together now. I will finish this game this week and recommend it to everyone I know. Supergiant deserves every bit of success they get for this game.

dejan

I gifted this to my brother a few days ago on Steam, and just happened to see him playing when I stopped over at his place. He has a 4890. For some reason, no matter what settings I tried, his game ran half speed. Enabling and disabling vsync did nothing, did not notice tearing with it off, but the game still felt sluggish. I had a few frame rate problems when playing on 360, but it was still smooth the majority of the time. The PC version felt like running through syrup. Is this a known issue? I updated his drivers (he was on 11.2), but that made no difference.
Did your brother try running the game with the -nofixedstep parameter?

KarmaCow

Wow the new Stranger's Dream is tough. I beat the other three with all idols on my first try (admittedly cheesing some of it with life steal + pistols) but I can't get past the first 10 reflections without losing a life. It's mostly the repeater shooting guys and the spike spewing plants that wreck my shit since there is constant fire on the screen. Anyone else try it yet?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Okay, so I've put about two hours into the game. While I love the art, the narration, the soundtrack, and the storytelling, the gameplay feels SO shallow. I mean, it's to the point where I feel like the game is playing itself because I just keep mashing the same button over and over and completely destroy every enemy. I didn't realize this was mainly a hack-and-slash game, a genre I seriously can't stand.

Dammit, someone convince me that the general combat and gameplay gets better.

LiK

Okay, so I've put about two hours into the game. While I love the art, the narration, the soundtrack, and the storytelling, the gameplay feels SO shallow. I mean, it's to the point where I feel like the game is playing itself because I just keep mashing the same button over and over and completely destroy every enemy. I didn't realize this was mainly a hack-and-slash game, a genre I seriously can't stand.

Unlock more weapons and upgrades and if you still feel it's too shallow, turn on the Idols. But judging from your comments, you're still early.

dmshaposv

You Know Wheres + Idol stacking is where the challenge lies at. The game is very forgiving at the start.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
DerYt.png

Used the pike and mortar. Difficulty was on par with Zulf's dream I guess, took me two tries. Make sure you have the lifewine, hearty punch, leechade, bastion bourbon & the werewhiskey (you will be under 33% life a lot; it will help you on the Ura).

Story for this dream was not that interesting tbh; weakest of all the dreams. Just another tacked on challenge. Only missing one achievement now which is starting over completely on score attack and racking up a million points, which is not hard just time consuming (since you can replay levels). Maybe someday.

NG28

How difficult is to to purchase everything in the game in one play through? I just beat that shield challenge where first prize is supposed to be 2,500 fragments, but my game glitched and I got a whopping 10. Should I start a new game, or will I be able to buy everything anyway?

Erasus

Completed this yesterday, love everything about this game! Art style is the best I´ve seen, its like a painting. Gameplay gets deeper the more weapons you find and the who knows where adds a lot to the story, that I liked. Music was great too

Does the game (on PC) tear for anyone else? Apparently it does for a friend, but not for me. I linked him to GAF's D3Overrider thread (though I don't use it), but he wanted me to ask how he could fix it anyway.

Does the game tear for anyone else?

Dresden

Bought this last night and got all the buildings unlocked, puffed on the pipe to do the You-Know-What (or whatever it was called), and
that Zul guy left.
Enjoying it so far, although the combat feels repetitive.

I've been using the fang repeater and the war machete for the most part.

Satchel

Banned
Bought this for 600 last night, and played for a bit between Rage and Uncharted 3.

Anyone else find this game really relaxing to play? So good.

Just beat NG+. This time I
saved Zulf, and chose the evacuation ending. I like how the choice between the two endings is linked to the NG+ in this game.

kaskade

Bought it for 600 points. Had like 240 from some rewards thing so I only had to spend 5 bones on it. Not too bad. Now that winter break is here I'm going to try and catch up on so much.

Detox

I'm in the same position the gameplay is mind numbingly boring and the storytelling doesn't even come close to making up for it. I'm just tempted to stop playing as I have far better games in my backlog. The narration so far is nothing but a gimmick and I don't really care about the story at all. The art style is nice but all I feel like I'm doing is dropping into randomly generated dungeons, mashing buttons collecting a core and coming back to the bastion. I was looking forward to playing this as it looked like a special experience but it is just so boring.

I've been meaning to play Bastion for a while. Finally decided to try it on Chrome. Loading was far too slow for my tastes though. Also doesn't seem like it caches any of the files so everytime you start it has to reload everything again. I got to the Window in the Saloon and then it crapped out at the loading screen at that point. Looks like Chrome gaming still needs some work. It should also be able to cache ahead of time. For example, if you're near the saloon, it should already be downloading the next section of the level before you get there.

Will give this game a real try on my 360 after I finish with Uncharted 3 and Skyrim.

LiK

I'm in the same position the gameplay is mind numbingly boring and the storytelling doesn't even come close to making up for it. I'm just tempted to stop playing as I have far better games in my backlog. The narration so far is nothing but a gimmick and I don't really care about the story at all. The art style is nice but all I feel like I'm doing is dropping into randomly generated dungeons, mashing buttons collecting a core and coming back to the bastion. I was looking forward to playing this as it looked like a special experience but it is just so boring.

Then stop playing it. And the dungeons aren't randomly generated.

StuBurns

Banned
Just finished the game, really incredible, I can't believe I waited for the sale the other day. Stunning stuff.

Anyway, about the ending, I have a little question:

There would appear to be four endings based on what happened, I left Zulf to die, and I used the Bastion to restore the world. What happens with the other three combinations?

LiK

Just finished the game, really incredible, I can't believe I waited for the sale the other day. Stunning stuff.

Anyway, about the ending, I have a little question:

There would appear to be four endings based on what happened, I left Zulf to die, and I used the Bastion to restore the world. What happens with the other three combinations?
play NG+ for the other ending. also beautiful. there are only two endings, btw.

REV 09

i kind of agree with this so far, but i'm early. At first, the art style and narration sold me on the game, but now that i'm deeper in, nothing substantial has happened. the gameplay feels shallow and the story just isn't going anywhere. i'll make it through to the end though and form my final thoughts then.

wow.

To me it was the best game in 2011, not best XBLA game but best overall. I couldnt wait to get home to play it and i would love a full fledged retail release.

I think theres a reason it scored so highly and Edge gave it a 9 - it really is a special game.

"Mind numbingly boring" is not a quote i think should be attributed to this game.

Just beat NG+. This time I
saved Zulf, and chose the evacuation ending. I like how the choice between the two endings is linked to the NG+ in this game.

I did the same, but I don't really have time for the NG+. Can I see the difference with in 10 minutes of gameplay?

After the part where it showed the kid stealing the shield, I realized that I didn't have to go by the story the old man was telling. I decided that the kid was a willing participant in the calamity once I got the calamity cannon and I didn't look back. The choice to evacuate seemed like the only real one because my kid wanted the story to move forward, not back. Besides, so many Ura survived that it really wasn't that bad.

My only regret is that I felt no connection to the girl.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I haven't beaten the game, but in the hour I've played Bastion, I've certainly had a better time with Renegade Ops and Ms. Splosion Man.

I'm really bummed I missed out on the sale for this game. It really passed me by in recent months, as I figured it was just an old school RPG.

I'm curious, does it matter if you choose "normal mode" or "no sweat mode"? Are achievements affected? Is the game hard on "normal mode"?

Dresden

So looking back the Mortar + Lifedrain (can't remember the exact name) was the best combo, with something like a bow or the rifle for sniping.

I'm really bummed I missed out on the sale for this game. It really passed me by in recent months, as I figured it was just an old school RPG.

I'm curious, does it matter if you choose "normal mode" or "no sweat mode"? Are achievements affected? Is the game hard on "normal mode"?

Well, it's back on sale for the encore day!

Cystm

Well, this game really surprised me. The OST really complemented this game and I don't think it could have made as much of an impact on me if they went a different direction. Listening to it now, actually. The gameplay itself is so much better because of it. The art direction and concept grabbed me and sucked me into their world (I came into this completely blind) and the music kept me from wanting to exit out of the game.

Super Giant Games said:
We're the team behind Bastion, an original action role-playing game. Our goal is to make games that spark your imagination like the games you played as a kid.

So charming. Please make more games.

Dany

Banned
How do you access the Stranger's Dream? I started a
new game plus
but I don't see it

Spoilers...really?

His prompt is a stack of books up front with the bong and the sleeping back but I was able to access in my save before the final mission.

I'd assume it comes up sometime in the story.

OnPoint

Spoilers...really?

His prompt is a stack of books up front with the bong and the sleeping back but I was able to access in my save before the final mission.

I'd assume it comes up sometime in the story.

Eh, never can be too careful. Wish I asked first. Oh well, it's not too big a problem to play through the whole game again :)

Just picked this up in the Steam sale... seems fun so far, but I'm not getting 60fps :(

V-Sync on or off, it seems almost like it's locked to 30fps, but I understand it's supposed to be 60fps?

Any solutions to this?

No_Style

Just picked this up in the Steam sale... seems fun so far, but I'm not getting 60fps :(

V-Sync on or off, it seems almost like it's locked to 30fps, but I understand it's supposed to be 60fps?

Any solutions to this?

-nofixedstep in launch options

Anyone know if 5.1 surround is supported in the Steam version? I can't get it to work for Bastion.

Top Bottom