• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Helmholtz

Finished it.
I thought the art and narration was well done, but the gameplay (too repetitive for me) and story (a little on the simple side and not fleshed out enough, imo) didn't really do much for me, and neither did the ending
(saved zulf/evacuated. But why should I really care anyone in this game outside of maybe Rucks?)
. However, the art and sound alone was enough to keep me playing, and I did feel that once
you're done collecting core peices for the second time
the game picks up, and I was more interested, but it's a shame that that's only a very small part of the game.
I feel like there is a ton of potential here and I'll be looking out for what the team does next. I'm a big fan of Kasavin, and I actually think his story was pretty good here, just not explored enough. I just can't shake the feeling that if the art and narration wasn't as good as it is, I'd be left with a pretty standard and uninteresting game. It's a pretty good game, but not as good as some of my favorite indie titles.
I think a majority of people won't share my views, but I thought I'd post my two cents.

Just finished it tonight. Loved it, fantastic game.

Also, I had no idea Greg Kasavin worked on this game. He was probably my favorite video game editor back when he worked at GameSpot, so it was cool to see his name there.

Poyunch

Okay so I bought the game a couple of days ago since it was on sale on Steam. The weapon variety is great and it really makes me feel bad when I stick with what I enjoy (War Machete + Scarp Musket).

I don't know how far I am in the game but...
The Ura just attacked The Bastion. I lost my Pecker and Squirt.
X_X I feel so bad.

edit: Oh and playing this on the keyboard and mouse is kind of annoying. The mouse seems to lag a bit and moving with the keys has led to me falling down on multiple different occasions.

Just finished this and really enjoyed everything about it. My only complaint is with the save system. I didn't really have any problems, but it would be nice to save in the Bastion. Morse, I would like more than one save file so I could check out New Game Plus and Score Attack without having to decide on one or the other.

Other than that, the story, gameplay, music, narrator... I loved it all.

So, a bit LTTP here. Just finished the game, pretty much all in one sitting (I did the holiday achievement before, and had gotten around that far on a separate save, but I fell in that one.)

One of the most sublime gaming experiences I've ever had. Completely engrossing experience (well, playing the game in one sitting is indicative of that I suppose.) Very similar to the first Portal for me.

My complaint would be that the choices are so near the end of the game, that they don't really mean much. Yes there is a difference, but it's not as significant as I would have though/liked it to be, especially since it pops up an unavoidable huge freaking menu both times, which implies that there is more gravity to the choices than there actually is.

The only other complaint is that even the method of story delivery was fantastic and the story itself kept me fairly riveted, it was ultimately much to shallow for my liking. Learning about/exploring the unknown is what kept me going (again, in a similar manner to Portal) however, the plot underlying the narrative lacked any real substance.
Oh, there was a war with betrayal involved.

I don't think the story really did justice to the fantastic(al) setting. I expected something more, another twist or further elaboration. Not having that I think weakened the narrative and made that aspect of the experience a bit underwhelming.

Trey

Just beat the NG+ and felt I would drop some opinions. Great game all around, and my current favorite game of 2011 (still have to finish Vanquish and Deus Ex to come to a complete conclusion, but it's looking more and more like a formality at this point).

The relatively simple abilities afforded to the kid (a roll, two buttons dedicated to two different weapons, a special attack, and a nigh invincible shield that protects the entirety of 180 degrees in front of you) are perfectly implemented within the game. It becomes one of timing, patience, and knowledge of your enemies, of which there is a healthy and robust variety. In my two playthroughs, I have found that I must pay attention to everything going on, especially with all Idols on.

The story itself is novel to me. Personally, I thought the real time narration was used to great effect and really drew me into what was going on onscreen, and the implications thereof. It gave context to the world and its inhabitants, though I would have like the other survivors to have had their own voice
outside of the themes and Zia right before the end game decision
. I will admit: I didn't fully understand the story in my first playthrough, because most of the exposition occurs while you're frantically doing battle or finding the path forward, so the narrator all too easily becomes background noise unless you make the effort to pay attention, something many aren't accustomed to--I certainly wasn't--because the style just isn't used in most familiar games. However, things became much more clear during my NG+ run.

My personal favorite combo was the Brusher's Pike and the Calamity Cannon. The latter is godly when maxed out. OHKOs almost everything, and even has splash damage. It fires fast and hits hard. Has great feedback, too, and doesn't require any timing. Like I said, godly.

So...I've been trying to find the Strangers Dream DLC for a while now (PC version). I know that it's tied to New Game Plus, but how long to I have to play until I can access it?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.

lordy88

Just beat the game, and I absolutely loved it. Great music, RPG elements, weapons, spirits, etc. A lot of stuff to keep you going with very inventive level design and one hell of a smooth narrator to boot.

Question for all of you: What weapons/secret skills did you guys eventually go with?

I had a soft spot for the War Machete (Went with pure crit upgrades + attack speed) + Dueling pistols + Super-fast Pistols as my skill (I think is was called Gunslinger?). I felt like a boss.

I'd be curious to hear what the rest of you went with.

bs000

Just beat the game, and I absolutely loved it. Great music, RPG elements, weapons, spirits, etc. A lot of stuff to keep you going with very inventive level design and one hell of a smooth narrator to boot.

Question for all of you: What weapons/secret skills did you guys eventually go with?

I had a soft spot for the War Machete (Went with pure crit upgrades + attack speed) + Dueling pistols + Super-fast Pistols as my skill (I think is was called Gunslinger?). I felt like a boss.

I'd be curious to hear what the rest of you went with.

I used Scrap Musket and War Machete for most of the game. Flame Bellows was really helpful in later levels so I used that alot too.

Just picked this up last on XBLA due to the sale. I've been having some difficulty getting through the first stages -- I already died three times and used up all my continues. What happens if I die again?

Just picked this up last on XBLA due to the sale. I've been having some difficulty getting through the first stages -- I already died three times and used up all my continues. What happens if I die again?

I bought it last night too. Very happy to only pay 600 points for such a high quality game.

I was curious about starting on the easier difficulty level, where I guess your deaths don't matter. I'm curious to know how much harder the game is playing the default mode.

I bought it last night too. Very happy to only pay 600 points for such a high quality game.

I was curious about starting on the easier difficulty level, where I guess your deaths don't matter. I'm curious to know how much harder the game is playing the default mode.

I was finding default to be kind of difficult -- I'd find myself being swarmed by lots of enemies and unable to really get out of the way. Those 3 lives go really quickly, too.

senador

Banned
I'm sure this has been discussed, but how long is this game? I've had it since the last time it was on sale and need to bang it out before this year's games start dropping.

I didn't do much of the side stuff and got through it in 4 hours.

Wow much shorter than I expected, this is good. Thanks!

Maddog

I'm sure this has been discussed, but how long is this game? I've had it since the last time it was on sale and need to bang it out before this year's games start dropping.

I didn't do much of the side stuff and got through it in 4 hours.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Picked this up when it was on sale last week and have been enjoying the hell out of it. Love the good variety of weapons and the soundtrack is amazing. I've found the difficulty to be in just the right spot for the most part, challenging but it rarely feels like its the game's fault and not mine. I am having trouble with one of the challenges though, spoilers ahead.

The Calamity Cannon, I cannot for the life of me even get a third place prize with this stupid thing. I have it upgraded up to the fourth slot and still I can't do it. Once one Windbag gets past me, it all falls apart. I start aiming for that one, end up missing and destroying the things I'm supposed to protect and about 20 get by while my back is turned. Any tips?

Wow much shorter than I expected, this is good. Thanks!

It took me around 7, but you could definitely complete it in less. Taking the time to do every side thing to completion might take you a little longer.

This isn't counting New Game+

maty

Bought the game on steam sale and now I have finished it 3 times NG, NG+, Score attack mode (quite easy to get 1,000,000 if you can get through each dream with 10 idols). Great game and awesome soundtrack, especially the track that plays right before the end
if you decide to save Zulf
and the ending track . It took me 29hs to 100% the game but that includes doing the dreams several times to gain XP.

I found Brusher's Pike and Galleon Mortar to be the best weapon combination to complete the dream with 10 idols.

The Calamity Cannon challenge

It's quite hard to do it at first but with some practice it is possible. If it's getting frustrating you should fully upgrade the cannon as it has the option to follow targets, making the challenge a lot easier.

The Calamity Cannon, I cannot for the life of me even get a third place prize with this stupid thing. I have it upgraded up to the fourth slot and still I can't do it. Once one Windbag gets past me, it all falls apart. I start aiming for that one, end up missing and destroying the things I'm supposed to protect and about 20 get by while my back is turned. Any tips?

I'm having major problems with this, too. Can't seem to even get the bronze. It would help if it didn't destroy the pillars that you're supposed to defend. :/

demented

Equip bull brandy and stabsinthe, get first upgrade on the right(stabilized emitter), 2nd below and rest on the left, last one being most important. With that just aim and spam and should be easy enough, I struggled a bit without last upgrade but made it through when I upgraded.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I keep beating the Who Knows Where segments with all idols and having it not save to the leaderboard. I'll come out after beating it and when I look at the leaderboard it says "Must be signed into Xbox Live" even though I am. I swear I'll rage if this happens one more time.

Equip bull brandy and stabsinthe, get first upgrade on the right(stabilized emitter), 2nd below and rest on the left, last one being most important. With that just aim and spam and should be easy enough, I struggled a bit without last upgrade but made it through when I upgraded.

Will try tonight. Thanks.

Montresor

Bastion is incredible. I love the art style and the music. And with the right weapon loadout, the game play is so satisfyingly fast paced. I'm using the Fang Repeater and the War Machete and I always have lightning-quick attacks.

I've been on an XBLA tear recently. I've played:

Beyond Good & Evil HD
Limbo
Outland
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Super Meat Boy

in the past two months and I'm currently working through Bastion. Plus I've got Perfect Dark XBLA and Lara Croft GOL waiting in the wings. And it's really thanks to all the sales. I got BGE for 240 points, Outland for 600, Shadow Planet for 600, Bastion for 600, and Lara Croft for 600. Awesome!

not sure why it took me so long to pick this up, as I was interested in it from Day 1.. either way, I heard some of the OST over the weekend and bam. purchased. Time to dive in :D this game looks amazing.

Just played through the game over the last couple of days about a hour a day and I really enjoyed it, I wasn't completely sold at first but as the game went on I grew to love it, the ending of that last level was great, really powerful stuff

XeroSauce

I'm having major problems with this, too. Can't seem to even get the bronze. It would help if it didn't destroy the pillars that you're supposed to defend. :/

Yea, that was my problem too, but I didn't really get enough time with the challenge before I finished the game.

El Sloth

Banned
Since the thread was bumped only yesterday I'll take this opportunity to make a confession:

I plugged in my TE stick and turned on turbo for the dual pistol challenge.

Don't judge me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
After many struggles and throwing of controllers I just finished the story with all idols. So unnecessary but satisfying somehow still.

cj_iwakura

Just finished it, chose the
Evacuation End

Breathtaking stuff.

I used the Brusher's Pike and the Carbine.

Weird, didn't get The End achievement, is it because

I didn't choose Restoration?

Floex

Finally, finally, finally started this game. Err, I've been been hooked for hours on this now. The main story and world has got a hold of me now, breaking off and doing the challenge rooms is a welcome change of pace. Especially loving the temples to make the game harder if you want it too. What a an absolute ingenious idea. I know the soundtrack has been talked about alot but wow is it a thing of beauty definitely going to try and get a hold of it. The narrator is such a refreshing way to tell a story without taking away from the gameplay

I just want the developers to continue with this world and create an open world RPG with it. PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN

Finally started this one. Pretty disappointed after a few hours. Not getting the hype. Looks lovely but the graphics are actually too detailed for my taste. Can't spot the holes in the floor or where the game area ends and background begins. Combat is also not my thing. Half of it highly timing based with the shield, which I always suck at (have to play combo-based action games like GoW or Bayonetta on easy). The rest is just flailing away at dozens of the same five enemies at once with a short or long range weapon. The narrator is neat but doesn't lend anything of substance to the game. The other thing i despise is that I'll have half a life bar and a split second later I'm dead. Absolutly no time to heal. That's ok once but if it happens a second time ... Restart the area. After three or tries it just gets old.

I've got five or six cores so far. Thinking of quitting and moving on the next game worth my time. What am I missing? Did everyone go nuts over the style and polish of this one?

ZZMitch

Finally had a chance to sit down and beat this today. It was really great.
Deciding to save Zulf was probably one of my favorite video game moments of the last few years.
Oh and the music was outstanding, about to download the soundtrack.

Machete and Carbine for life.

Finally had a chance to sit down and beat this today. It was really great. Oh and the music was outstanding, about to download the soundtrack.

Machete and Carbine for life.

"Rucks: He sets foot inside one of Caelondia's famous watering holes. Inside's old Rondy the bartender. The Calamity got him before his drinking did. [...] He sets foot inside one of Caelondia's famous watering holes. Wait, haven't I...? Anyway, Rondy's place just brings back memories."

do u think even after rewinding time calamity did strike and was not prevented as nothing was done to change the timeline just rewind it.

Oh as far as my impressions for the game excellent just it not meant for keyborad n mouse layout and the shard collecting gets boring after the first set.

The OST is beyond amazing.

Chris R

Is there any solution to fix the issue where the game seems to run at 10 FPS or in slow motion? My machine is plenty powerful to run the game. Makes it kinda easy when everything is in super slow motion though :(

edit: adding -nofixedstep to the launch options fixed it. Yay!

Chris R

Quick question about weapon upgrades. Can I only select a single upgrade per tier? Or is it just limited by the number of upgrade items and crystals I have? Just want to know so I don't go off and upgrade the incorrect thing locking myself into a shitty version of a weapon.

XeroSauce

Quick question about weapon upgrades. Can I only select a single upgrade per tier? Or is it just limited by the number of upgrade items and crystals I have? Just want to know so I don't go off and upgrade the incorrect thing locking myself into a shitty version of a weapon.

Yea, so purchasing an upgrade tier unlocks both upgrades of the tier but you only select one. This selection can be changed at any time IIRC.

Top Bottom