• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Oh, I forgot I had a picture from when I benchmarked around when I originally got the game and now post-update and firmware updates. Haven't updated my system beyond a new Harddrive and a hand down monitor (ergo the new screenshot is at a higher resolution), but for anyone curious:

2011 Benchmark picture at 1680x1050
2013 Benchmark picture at 1980x1080

i5 2500k/560 Ti, I forget the exact settings beyond what I jotted down for 2011, but for 2013 I know I maxed out everything other than what was listed and the AA (FXAA High, though it seems to be that on the old one too.) Driver updates probably did help since then, but it seems likely axing Securom significantly improved performance.

SecuROM is a piece of shit, I remember it caused significant performance issues on Witcher 2 before they removed it on the first patch.

I'm not seeing a price for any of the AC DLC? I have a retail AC key I want to use (when that whole thing is available) and buy the DLC to make a makeshift GOTY edition but none of the AC DLC has any of the prices. Can I even buy the DLC separately?

Echoplx

I'm not seeing a price for any of the AC DLC? I have a retail AC key I want to use (when that whole thing is available) and buy the DLC to make a makeshift GOTY edition but none of the AC DLC has any of the prices. Can I even buy the DLC separately?

You'll get the GOTY edition for free when you register your key.

catabarez

You'll get the GOTY for free.

Omega

Banned
great, the Arkham City save thing doesn't even work for me because I have no saves on my PC for some reason.

46 hours gone to fucking waste because Microsoft is retarded.

Wow, it really does run much better. Dx 11 maxed on my 7970 is now:

Min 52 (occurred between scene changes)
Max 139
Avg 106

When I originally played dx 11 mode caused serious stuttering especially during the outside scene and definitely dipped into the 30s. To be fair though that was several driver updates ago but the performance jump is significant.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
great, the Arkham City save thing doesn't even work for me because I have no saves on my PC for some reason.

46 hours gone to fucking waste because Microsoft is retarded.

Did you look under the proper folders? i didn't specify them. The possible locations are on the thread's OP.

Omega

Banned
Did you look under the proper folders? i didn't specify them. The possible locations are on the thread's OP.

I looked in all of them. There's nothing.

whatever. I save myself $60 on Arkham Origins and $500+ off an Xbone. both companies can go fuck themselves.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I looked in all of them. There's nothing.

whatever. I save myself $60 on Arkham Origins and $500+ off an Xbone. both companies can go fuck themselves.

I don't see how the fact that you have NO saves is Microsoft's fault.

You probably reinstalled windows without making a proper Steam backup. If you had the steam version of the games, the saves would be inside the SteamApps/Userdata folder.

If you had the GFWL version of the game, the saves would be under the My Documents folder, and you should backup that between OS Installations.

To avoid future issues, you should install and use Game Save Manager regularly.

JohngPR

I can't even get Arkham Asylum GOTY to work.

It goes through the title cards and turns black and crashes every time. :(

I haven't tried any save tricks with it...it just wont run.

Anyone know how to fix it?

I was literally coming here to post this. The game starts, plays the nvidia movie, shows all the middleware logos shows the batman title and right as it finishes loading it goes black (you can kind of see some flickering) and then it crashes. I haven't had an issue like this in a long time.

I'm having this same issue too. It boots in through the loading screens (how can we get rid of those btw) and at the main menu (w version 1.1 at the bottom) as soon as I click "Start" it freezes and crashes.

I'm going to screenshot the error at my next chance.

Grief.exe

I was literally coming here to post this. The game starts, plays the nvidia movie, shows all the middleware logos shows the batman title and right as it finishes loading it goes black (you can kind of see some flickering) and then it crashes. I haven't had an issue like this in a long time.

Good thing they get all those advertisements off before it crashes.

So is it ok to install AC? Did they fix whatever patching issues they were having yesterday that caused the game to re-install GFWL or w/e?

DeVeAn

Awesome no trace of a savefile anywhere on my PC for Batman AC. Was I suppose to find it before I booted it up?

Parsnip

I'm having this same issue too. It boots in through the loading screens (how can we get rid of those btw) and at the main menu (w version 1.1 at the bottom) as soon as I click "Start" it freezes and crashes.

I'm going to screenshot the error at my next chance.

Are you guys on Nvidia or AMD? If you are on AMD, is your Physx install up to date? With Nvidia the Physx updates come bundled with the gfx drivers, but naturally not with AMD. Also recently I had some trouble with some older game that required Legacy Physx driver installation as well. Worth a shot.

Also, the middleware logos and such are probably just bink videos. Most of the time in Unreal engine games you can just browse to the game folder and rename or delete the video files and everything should work.

The-Bean

I had the same problem, disabling crossfire fixed it for me.

JohngPR

Here's the error it threw up this time:

I2tdNs5.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized something.

Most games that are "not available in my region" are GFWL-enabled games, and only gain international release with their GOTY versions occasionally.

Does this mean they will all be available internationally now that GFWL is gone?

Yeah. It was yanked when the GOTY version released.

Ah I see.

Bii

I completely borked my AA game.
Tried to follow the instructions of restoring my save file...ended up with a "corrupt file" message. Went back to restore my save file because I had backed it up...and now the game crashes and won't even get to the screen where I can pick my save files. :(

Uh, I can't seem to boot AA at all. I click "Play" in the launcher and nothing happens. Launcher exits and no attempt to launch is made.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I completely borked my AA game.
Tried to follow the instructions of restoring my save file...ended up with a "corrupt file" message. Went back to restore my save file because I had backed it up...and now the game crashes and won't even get to the screen where I can pick my save files. :(

You removed the wrong amount of data from the save. It happened to me repeatedly, until I found a post telling me to delete everything before the 0x0184 position in the file. I mention it on the guide I wrote on the last page (or the one before that). Searching for 00:00:03:00 only works for Arkham City.

as long as you kept the original file from GFWL, it's still an easy fix.

Eusis

Not surprising. Witcher 2 disc installs had SecuRom vs the downloadable that didn't.
http://www.techspot.com/news/43989-the-witcher-2-patch-11-removes-drm-boosts-framerate.html

And that had a 30% difference in framerate between the two.

SecuROM is a piece of shit, I remember it caused significant performance issues on Witcher 2 before they removed it on the first patch.
Yeah, it may not be the worst DRM (I'd throw that to the likes of StarForce or Tages for solutions not specific to one publisher) but it's definitely one of the most counter productive ones out there. And it's EXACTLY because of the Witcher 2 I suspected there'd be improvements.

epmode

I'm looking through my original Arkham City save file (not GOTY) but I can't find any instance of "00 00 0E 00". I can only find a single instance of 0E anywhere and it's nowhere near the rest of the code.

Am I missing something?

edit: It looks like some instructions say to look for "00 00 03 00" and some say "00 00 0E 00". Which one is right?

I'm looking through my original Arkham City save file (not GOTY) but I can't find any instance of "00 00 0E 00". I can only find a single instance of 0E anywhere and it's nowhere near the rest of the code.

Am I missing something?

edit: It looks like some instructions say to look for "00 00 03 00" and some say "00 00 0E 00". Which one is right?

00 00 03 00

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Yes, sorry about that. I made that last "guide" late at night and got a bunch of things wrong (like the folders mixed up and the 0E 03 thing). But I already fixed them.

I only got the 0E thing now, so I apologize.

epmode

This is probably my last stupid question of the night:

Is there any way to convert a vanilla GFWL Arkham City (not GOTY) save to the Steamworks GOTY version? I keep getting a corrupt file error when I try it.

I have a feeling that this isn't possible and I'll need to start over if I want to play the GOTY release.

edit: Got it working by following these instructions instead: http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35012985

MrNelson

Banned

I found that running the game windowed kept it from crashing after the logos, but trying to fullscreen it after by pressing alt+enter just caused the game to crash again.

Kunohara

Hey guys, I just found this little program that someone on the steam forums wrote up to automatically strip away the gfwl stuff from your saved games. Works for both games. I just tried it and it works perfectly. It will create a new file so it won't overwrite your old one. Thread is here.

I found that running the game windowed kept it from crashing after the logos, but trying to fullscreen it after by pressing alt+enter just caused the game to crash again.

Yup, your right. Same here. I can use my borderless windowed utility I guess.

Edit:
Welp, figures Windowed Mode doesn't actually create a window of the right size so borderless window utilities won't work correctly.

Ugh, I'm seeing complaints about this from posts in forums back in 2009 with no resolution. That's not encouraging.

OK so I managed to get AA working (had to install AoE II HD and that fixed something apparently, go figure), but I'm not getting any fancy PhysX effects on my game even though I have them enabled. Any ideas on that one?

EDIT: Whenever I enable PhysX it tells me that my harware "does not meet the recommendation". Bitch, I'm on a GTX 770. Is it turning off PhysX because of a false flag?

Grief.exe

Yup, your right. Same here. I can use my borderless windowed utility I guess.

Good to know.

OK so I managed to get AA working (had to install AoE II HD and that fixed something apparently, go figure), but I'm not getting any fancy PhysX effects on my game even though I have them enabled. Any ideas on that one?

Maybe you have to reinstall DirectX manually, its certainly possible that this is causing errors.

If someone is having crashing issues they should try it out.

MrNelson

Banned
Alright, so I came across this post and tried launching the game fullscreen with anti-aliasing disabled. Sure enough the title screen appeared with no problems.

I have to be up for work in 4 and a half hours so I don't have time to test it with the 13.11 beta drivers myself, but according to the post it should keep the game from crashing with AA enabled.

Carm

Apologies if it has already been posted but in case no one knew, you can disable those stupid startup movies.

Batman AC is oddly different than AA
Steam>SteamApps>Common>Batman Arkham City GOTY>BmGame>Movies
Rename: Startup and StartupNV

Batman AA
Documents>Square Enix>Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY>BmGame>Config

*Ended up having to make the file read only for the changes to keep

BmEngine.ini

[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=baa_logo_run_v5_h264
StartupMovies=UTlogo
StartupMovies=Legal
StartupMovies=Black
SkippableMovies=Attract

Change to

[FullScreenMovie]
\\StartupMovies=baa_logo_run_v5_h264
\\StartupMovies=UTlogo
\\StartupMovies=Legal
\\StartupMovies=Black
SkippableMovies=Attract

Normally I turn off DoF in any game I can but I'm not sure on Batman AA. They definitely over use it, but it also makes, at least on some maps where you see the city skyline, look a lot better.

Yes, no AA is turned on before someone points it out.
Skyline and Lighthouse pics
DoF On
DoF Off

Eusis

Crap, forgot I OC'd my CPU thanks to the BF4 beta, whereas I'm pretty sure I didn't for the original release. Still, the FPS barely budged, so it still seems a lose of Securom/GFWL and possible driver updates still did more than anything else. Nevertheless adding the link to my earlier post.

Top Bottom