• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Storm360

I'd ordered a physical copy, but minutes later a kind GAFer offered me his unwanted vanilla key.

Ah okay, was wondering if physical was the only way to grab one, guess i'll grab one at Amazon once keys are confirmed to activate vanilla

graywolf323

"If you owned the vanilla versions of AA or AC, the GOTY version will now be added to your account"

well now I regret having double dipped...

Grief.exe

I still can see my AC GFWL key, but I can't see my AA key anymore: There's no CD Key option on the game page in detailed view. (Talking about regular versions here).

Not that it matters, but I was wondering if we could use those keys to, somehow, redeem the copy of the game on another Steam account. They are GFWL keys afterall, and probably they're assigned to my Steam account, as I bought these games on Steam.

They did remove the key from one of the vanilla versions but not the other yesterday. That us what you are seeing.

Those keys are tied to your account, you can try giving them away but it will probably have a duplicate product error.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You can't even buy the DLC on Steam. Probably why you get GoTY for free. Still cool. Has the Capsule key you get on GMG a whiles back been confirmed to work? I know the system isn't in place yet, but will it work once it does?

It's a standard 5x5 GWFL key so hopefully it will work, but it certainly doesn't yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's a standard 5x5 GWFL key so hopefully it will work, but it certainly doesn't yet.

06:17, GMT+8, AWST

EPLCrcn.jpg

No sighting.

I can kind of understand destroying saves depending on how they used saves in conjunction with GFWL (some games seem to bind them to profile, etc) but permanently removing leaderboards from the game seems like a weird move to me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I can kind of understand destroying saves depending on how they used saves in conjunction with GFWL (some games seem to bind them to profile, etc) but permanently removing leaderboards from the game seems like a weird move to me.

The architecture that provided said Leaderboard is no longer in place. Other than coding an alternative (be it using Steamworks or otherwise), how could they possibly NOT remove the feature?

The architecture that provided said Leaderboard is no longer in place. Other than coding an alternative (be it using Steamworks or otherwise), how could they possibly NOT remove the feature?

I haven't used the Steamworks SDK but I doubt that creating leaderboards with it are that difficult. Probably a step above changing out the achievements for Steam achievements, but I doubt it was a herculean task (unless they were doing some crazy shit behind the scenes with those leaderboards).

Edit: Of course any number of issues could cause it to be a hard task, I have no first hand experience with Steamworks SDK or GFWL SDK either. So take it with a grain of salt but the couple of times I have looked at SDK's with leaderboards it has been pretty trivial to use them.

Grief.exe

Didn't want to dedicate the effort and resources required to implement the feature.

I'm actually very surprised 2K went through the effort of implementing BioShock 2 multiplayer.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
06:17, GMT+8, AWST

EPLCrcn.jpg

No sighting.
I certainly feel that way at the moment. I've been a victim of GFWL in the past killing my saves so to play the games without it would be nice. Still, must be patient...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I haven't used the Steamworks SDK but I doubt that creating leaderboards with it are that difficult. Probably a step above changing out the achievements for Steam achievements, but I doubt it was a herculean task (unless they were doing some crazy shit behind the scenes with those leaderboards).

Sure, you're not wrong, but it's not like they actively said "let's remove this feature". They're just not coding an alternative to it.

To be honest, I'm surprised publishers are even patching older games. That's the kind of stuff that the userbase has to do, usually.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wait...

So my 75 hours of playtime is gone with AC???????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Guess you'll just have to play it again :/

Oh man I just realized this means I get to play as Nightwing/Robin in the challenge rooms and stuff right?

Sure, you're not wrong, but it's not like they actively said "let's remove this feature". They're just not coding an alternative to it.

To be honest, I'm surprised publishers are even patching older games. That's the kind of stuff that the userbase has to do, usually.

Everytime these games go on sale I bet they make a decent bit of money in the long term. They are doing it because they want to keep making this money for years.

Edit: Of course any number of issues could cause it to be a hard task, I have no first hand experience with Steamworks SDK or GFWL SDK either. So take it with a grain of salt but the couple of times I have looked at SDK's with leaderboards it has been pretty trivial to use them.

I have written online leaderboard code for both the Xbox and Steam.

Microsoft's leaderboard shit is lightyears more difficult than Steam's. I got Steam's integrated in a day. Xbox stuff took weeks. There were many many prerequisites before MS would let you submit scores.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So we can't have our gamesaves even if we used GameSave Manager to backup them? (that what I use for all GFWL games)

Grief.exe

Everytime these games go on sale I bet they make a decent bit of money in the long term. They are doing it because they want to keep making this money for years.

You are exactly right, that guaranteed income over the next decade is more than worth the investment.

And the goodwill and promotion generated going into their next product release is huge, Burial at Sea and Origins respectively.

Dambrosi

Banned
So hold up.

I should have two entries for AC (one for vanilla and another for GOTY) in my library, right? Because I only have one for Vanilla, but it has the Harley Quinn DLC attached, and I don't remember buying that at all.

Yup, just restarted Steam for the 3rd time and nothing.

JaseC

Using my acute mathematics skill set, I have determined that WB will generate approximately fifty bajillion times more goodwill should it return Wheelman to Steam.

Storm360

So hold up.

I should have two entries for AC (one for vanilla and another for GOTY) in my library, right? Because I only have one for Vanilla, but it has the Harley Quinn DLC attached, and I don't remember buying that at all.

Odd, I bought GOTY, but my vanilla has "Challenge Map Pack" i don't remember buying

Nabs

So hold up.

Your Steam community page says you have both. Are you sure you don't have AC vanilla in a different category?

catabarez

Using my acute mathematics skill set, I have determined that WB will generate approximately fifty bajillion times more goodwill should it return Wheelman to Steam.

How much money would you be willing to spend if someone had Wheelman in their inventory Jase?

Hundreds?
Thousands??

dEvAnGeL

why do i have 2 batman games on my account now? i have the vanilla batman AC which is the one i own and also out of nowhere i have the AC GOTYE as well, did they upgraded the vanilla versions for free like bioshock 2?

JaseC

How much money would you be willing to spend if some had Wheelman in their inventory Jase?

Hundreds?
Thousands??

The imminent Halloween Sale stopped me from offering some dude $250 for Avatar, CSI: NY, Emergency 2012, Outrun 2006 and Second Sight.

Dambrosi

Banned
Your Steam community page says you have both. Are you sure you don't have AC vanilla in a different category?
You were right, it's in my Uninstalled category. As are a whole shitload of games I got from various bundles over the last week holy shit why can't I install all these games.

Looks like I have something to do for the next hour or so.

Veelk

Banned
Batman AC is finally without GFWL and Securom restrictions.

All while I am on a Batman replay marathon to prepare for Origins.

My shitty laptop is too weak to play it.

:(

denx

why do i have 2 batman games on my account now? i have the vanilla batman AC which is the one i own and also out of nowhere i have the AC GOTYE as well, did they upgraded the vanilla versions for free like bioshock 2?

Read the OP.

DieH@rd

Banned
Merciful Gaben!!!! Arkham City is from today finally available for purchase in Steam Euro 2 zone!!!! No more bullshit GFWL region locking.

tumblr_mla65d1zKW1rlztjno1_500.gif

Grief.exe

GFWL not even available for purchase in all countries.

Micrsoft literally failed in every aspect. They didn't even set up GFWL to generate income properly.

JaseC

Oh man that price.

Thinking on it, I suppose it's a good thing I didn't jump on the deal as I presumably would have traded an RU/CIS flavour of XCOM, which 2K region locked at the eleventh hour by way of the onlyallowrunincountries flag.

I got your back bro. I'll look around.

I knew somebody with the words "cat bar" in their username would be a great person. ;)

Top Bottom