• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Dartastic

So, I've been messing about a bit, and while the game does seem to be having some issues, it's definitely playable for me.

I'm running on an i7 4790k w/16 gigs of ram and a 970. Everything is maxed out and the Nvidia light rays and rain are on. I think the biggest thing I did was go into the .ini file and set the framerate to 60. I just upped it to 120, but I'm not sure it'll do much. I'll test it out tomorrow. I hope they iron it out somehow though, because it DEFINITELY stutters at times, and I should be able to play this thing without stuttering.

jett

D-Member
This almost contradicts everything I have read about it so far. People with more powerful rigs than you are struggling to maintain 30fps, your PC must be magic :)

There's a guy up above that's running it maxxed out with 7950, says it's been super smooth.

How does that even happen, I don't know.

meanspartan

Well its fine for me if I leave it at 30, except batmobile segments which drop to like 20 :-/

May as well have gone with ps4 version.

Kabuto

Okay, I've been playing for an hour or so since NA release. It runs perfectly fine except a couple frame drops here and there on Normal settings.

It was unplayable for me when I was playing on VPN earlier today, but now it's fine.

PC specs; i5-3570k, GTX 670, 8GB RAM

Cutebrute

Wow I'm glad I can't download this until next week, because holy shit is this insane. I'm afraid to see how my pc will peform:

i7 4770k at 3.5ghz
8gb ram
4gb 760

I hope I can avoid some of the vram issues, but this isn't looking promising.

I feel fucking awful about this too, because I knew WB's record with PC games, and I still convinced three of my friends to buy a GMG code over the PS4 version. I must deserve to be kicked in the nuts for every stutter or crash that they experience.

Smokey

I refuse to play this game with a 30fps cap.

Will not do it.

Even if you change it in the ini file...doesn't it cause some stuttering?

Fuck you Rocksteady.

Fuck

jett

D-Member
It's really sad you don't get to fully experience The Fourth Batman Game in all its AAA glory on day one, true, but you're kiddin' yourself if you don't think consoles are plagued with this shit too.

Not in this case.

As for frame-rate, aside from one streaming stutter as we're given control, the rest of play is locked at a consistent, smooth 30fps. We get seamless transitions between gameplay and cut-scenes too, which really brings this consistency to light over the breadth of a play session. The only hitch is in fast Batmobile pursuits, where the frame-rate dips to 26fps in one segment. Everything else - from effects-heavy tank combat to swoops across the city with a grappling hook - just cruises along at a clean 30fps. No stuttering, no frame-pacing issues, just a continuous line - as it should be.

dex3108

Man game has really low amount of graphical settings. It started good on my GTX 760 with locked 30FPS and 40-50 in cutscenes, then first fight happened and FPS dropped to mid 20s, then Batmobile chase and FPS dropped below 10.

UrbanRats

so

- PC Port is outsourced. (by Iron Galaxy.. why they didn't give it to Monolith Productions or WB Montreal)
- 30fps lock. (hope it's Iron Galaxy fault and not a Watch Dog situation again)
- Denuvo DRM. (why?)
- AMD and Nvidia drivers do not fix the game issues.

Well... WB sure screwed up big time on this.

lol, damn.
Glad i got it for cheap.

Tainted

There's a guy up above that's running it maxxed out with 7950, says it's been super smooth.

How does that even happen, I don't know.

Yeh theres definitely something weird going on.....maybe they pushed out bad files to the early adopters ? It's happened before with other games

Fracas

#fuckonami
I refuse to play this game with a 30fps cap.

Will not do it.

Even if you change it in the ini file...doesn't it cause some stuttering?

Fuck you Rocksteady.

Fuck
Edited my ini earlier, getting 60 in some spots then it drops to 30 like a rock everywhere else. Especially when gliding or moving

What is this port, my goodness

Nyanmaruz

Anyone also having problems running the game on a 960? I can't tell if it really is the optimization's fault or if my 960 i really that poopy. Then again, it might be both...
I've turned everything is on low and I'm still getting some major screen tearing and frame rate issues.

jg4xchamp

Once I fixed the framerate cap, and got rid of the gameworks stuff I had a smooth 60 frames and was beating up dudes. No issues there. Game looks vanilla without the good stuff though.

After an hour of unpacking I finally got it launched. Was really worried I was going to have it crash/blackscreen but I lucked out tonight.

Running it at 4k on a 970, with shadows turned down, no AA, and Nvidiaworks all off. Runs close to 30 at most times and looks really clean when you're inside. I hope it get's patched tomorrow and we can get some performance improvements.

Not sure if anyone posted yet but if you want a refund, you need to keep to under 2hrs of playtime.

Feel bad for all the PC gamers who are having issues though.

Dartastic

Once I fixed the framerate cap, and got rid of the gameworks stuff I had a smooth 60 frames and was beating up dudes. No issues there. Game looks vanilla without the good stuff though.
I might remove one of the game works things later. I'm only running the rain and the lighting. Which one has a greater effect on the frame Rate?

Also seriously. FUCK THOSE INTRO MOVIES. REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY.

Smokey

Catching up on the the thread got me like

kXuy22U.gif

fuck

This game is a cluster f*ck - Afterburner OSD doesn't work. Launched the game and saw that the MAXIMUM textures you can use is "NORMAL!" WTF?!?!

Don't really feel like this one is really cause for that much gnashing of teeth. The textures are on normal are presumably the same as those on the console versions, so they're 'normal,' but if you'd like to lower the texture resolution to consume less video memory, you can.

UrbanRats

Between this and MKX its crystal clear WB do not give a fuck about their PC customers

Shadow of Mordor is pretty damn good on PC though.
Probably because the developer has a big history on the platform.

I'm sure you can get around that 2 hour limitation if the issues are severe and well documented.

I got the key from Nuuvem, so i don't think the refund applies anyway.
Same for those who got it from GMG.

Okay so after raising my pagefile to a max of 4GB I didn't have any crash issues from where I left which was basically the start of the "Time to go to War" game play trailer and I stopped when around when that trailer ended. BUT, memory usage still went up all the way to 99% of my 8GB while swap utilization was at 92% (VRAM at 3.2GB-3.4GB) when I quit after walking into the GCPD. VRAM usage was at 3.2GB-3.4GB

So yeah, the game used up nearly every bit of RAM that was available and pushed into the SWAP file hard while at the same time using over 3GB of VRAM. I should have tabbed out of the game (assuming it wouldn't have crashed) and saw exactly how much of that 99% utilization was the game but seeing as it crashed when it hit 90% RAM use before, this game is just flat out using a ridiculous amount of memory.

Something is not right. But hey, I don't think I went below 30FPS so I guess that's something. >_> GPU utilization didn't seem to be super high either.

EDIT: I think it's safe to assume the game in total was using over 10GB of RAM/VRAM before I quit.

I just noticed the game isn't fully utilizing my GPU for some reason.

Only seeing around 40% usage max... CPU bottleneck?

Probably is... I have a 5930k but it only seems to be using two cores at most.

Is your CPU at 100% Did you take off the 30FPS cap? It's probably not being pushed hard enough with the cap in place.

Not being able to play at a solid 60fps sucks. For now, I just cranked the resolution up to 2880x1620 using DSR and set the frame rate to 30 in RivaTuner. At least the frame rate is locked.

3.5gb VRAM issue in the 970 is the culprit for the frame rate locking @ 30fps during hectic scenes. Need a patch that prevents VRAM from going over that amount similar to what they did in Dying Light. Either that, or time to invest in a true 4gb video card. :(

I really don't think it is.

Trace

Banned
I'm running at 50ish FPS on a GTX 670 with no stutter. I was concerned going in it would be unplayable or something but it seems fine?

Kabuto

yeah I just took off the framerate cap as well. Game is honestly running fine imo. Getting 30-50FPS on my 670 now

Between this and MKX its crystal clear WB do not give a fuck about their PC customers

seems that way. If it plays as bad for me as it has you guys then I think I'm done with WB. I was already burned with the MKX crap. if it happens to me again then I'm crossing off WB in general.

So, how about those steam refunds.......

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Its like they made all the perfectly wrong decisions with this game.

Yup, it's insane. almost seems like they trying to make people not buy this.

Picking Iron Galaxy to port the game is WB first and biggest mistake I think. for WB biggest release of the year (and if lets say WB Montreal and Monolith were really busy) why not just hire well known port people like Nixxes Software or Bluepoint Games? Arkham Knight is not a random potato-tier title from small developer, it's WB biggest release and one of this year most anticipated titles.

and Denuvo DRM already screwed Lords of the Fallen (and already cracked?) why using it in any game ever again?

After several excellent, in-house PC ports, this is actually pretty shocking. I think an extra month or so of dev time for the PC version would have been more than understandable with all the obvious issues here.

I hope WB and Rocksteady get hammered by the press for this, but I'm not hopeful...

This game is a cluster f*ck - Afterburner OSD doesn't work. Launched the game and saw that the MAXIMUM textures you can use is "NORMAL!" WTF?!?!

I changed the FPS cap in the INI file but come on! It's 2015 and they capped it to 30FPS?!? Seriously!?!?

Really disappointed with Rocksteady - Arkham City was a BRILLIANT game and worked (still does) so well w/ 4-Way SLI etc.

Afterburner OSD is working fine for me. It didn't work for me at first in TW3 when it came out, but worked fine after I updated it. You also sometimes have to turn up the application detection level in the OSD settings.
EDIT: Turning on the smoke effects and paper effects caused the OSD to not display, so one of those two things is causing that. Still felt like it was running quite well even with both of them on, but harder to quantify without the OSD.

The FPS cap is stupid and would have made some sense if it was a slider in the graphics settings to set 30, 60, 120 or uncapped.

AC had significant issues (and I believe it still does) with DX10 features. Turning it on basically butchered performance. I don't think it's a favorable comparison to make.

Oh geez, I didn't realise that both MKX and AK were WB projects.

Ugh.

Yep, another WB game this year that launched completely broken

Shadow of Mordor is pretty damn good on PC though.
Probably because the developer has a big history on the platform.

Yeah Mordor is pretty solid but WB launching their 2 flagship titles back to back utterly broken sends a pretty strong message. Its clear at the very least WB isn't prioritizing QA testing for PC at all

Vibranium

Banned
I know the framerate cap can be easily fixed but it's embarassing that the game was locked to 30 to begin with. That needs to be given an unlock option ASAP.

Posting my experience. i5-750 and a gtx970. Game runs absolutely fine at the 30fps lock. Changed the ini to 60fps and I get 40-60fps generally, and G-Sync is making it feel a lot smoother than it probably actually is for most. Definitely not ideal but not catastrophic for me so far.

Into

970gtx, 8gig RAM, 4460i5. Most stuff on high or ultra

Running above 50fps for majority of time, so far no crashes or issues, been playing for 5 hours.

Kaleinc

Banned
Troubleshooting guide.
Launch Arkham Knight, start a new game. When it's done loading switch to desktop, find a batman movie, play. Enjoy Batman.

After converting to the Holy Church of 60FPS, I decided to leave the 30FPS lock on, given the gnashing of teeth in this thread.

Seems pretty decent, and the game was clearly made with 30FPS in mind. Currently running at 1620p (the "1.5x" setting in DSR), and choppiness can occur, but nothing even close to the "unplayable" level that I've seen talked about.

980 OC'd +200 / +200 (GPU / mem)
i7-4970k @ 4.6Ghz
16GB RAM

DSR makes a big improvement, since the built-in AA seems pretty bad.

Cutebrute

I know that the godawful MKX port was handled by Fucking High Voltage Software, but did that port ever get fixed up in a timely manner? I wish that this game will be taken care of even more quickly.

I'm pretty sure the only reason that Mordor ran so well is because Monolith actually cares for the platform, seeing as they were primarily PC developers.

Top Bottom