• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

vg260

Anyone have an idea of how many CPU cores this game uses? I'm running an AMD x3 720 black at 3.2 Ghz and a 5850XT, and am seeing the stuttering issues. Sounds alike it's a game engine/streaming issue, but would going to a 4-core CPU help? Getting close to 60fps at 1080p with AA low. Thanks.

XOMTOR

Got a corrupted game save and all I did was start a new game. The game kept crashing as soon I tried to login to GFWL. What a piece of shit.

Create an "offline" profile so you avoid logging into Live. Here's a YouTube video that shows how to make one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0Z2uOJKrA&feature=related

Note: in order to get to the first step in the video, you may need to X out of the G4WL dialog box that appears automatically when you start the game. Then hit the "home" key on your keyboard and follow the instructions in the video.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow so we're already getting lots of corrupt save file reports huh. I'm sure Rocksteady will listen to your pleas and not use GFWL again like they did after AA came out.

Create an "offline" profile so you avoid logging into Live. Here's a YouTube video that shows how to make one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0Z2uOJKrA&feature=related

Note: in order to get to the first step in the video, you may need to X out of the G4WL dialog box that appears automatically when you start the game. Then hit the "home" key on your keyboard and follow the instructions in the video.

Wouldn't that cause your save "offline" profile to disappear once you go signing "online" to Live?

Corto

Wow so we're already getting lots of corrupt save file reports huh. I'm sure Rocksteady will listen to your pleas and not use GFWL again like they did after AA came out.

Nah. What this game really needs is just another layer of DRM to be perfect.

Sectus

Unfortunately, game isn't performing as well as I had hoped. I was able to get 60fps all the time in Asylum as long as I kept physx off. In this game, if I keep physx on I might as well say bye bye to the framerate (I got 15 fps during the courthouse fight near the beginning of the game). If I keep physx off, I get 60 indoors and about 30-40 outdoors. I dunno what settings to tweak to make it better. It's annoying I have to restart the game to test any setting.

I also get a lot of stuttering while outdoors which I assume is due to constant loading. I'm pretty sure I got the same stuttering on 360 too.

As a minor annoyance, a PS2 pad seems impossible to use now. I could get by in asylum since there were only a few gadgets on diagonals and I didn't use them often, but in this you change rather often. And the only wired 360 pad I have is an absolute mess. D-pad is worse than normal. Left analog stick constantly drift upwards. RB is weak and doesn't trigger half the time. I guess I should get a new one.

And the biggest problem: the game keeps crashing on me. After about 30 minutes of play the game will crash with the error that it ran out of video memory. I'm using a gtx 560 which has 1gb ram total. Shouldn't that be enough?

I can remember Asylum crashed on me now and then as well (not as often though), so maybe it's the same problem.

XOMTOR

Wouldn't that cause your save "offline" profile to disappear once you go signing "online" to Live?

Yes, the saves for offline and online profiles are separate. However it sounds as if SoulClap is just attempting to start the game so he won't be losing anything. If you want to use an online profile to tie into a gamescore...well good luck with that. I personally have never set up a G4WL account and have never had a problem with Asylum or this game. It seems that all the issues with gamesaves stem from the online accounts and the syncing with Live servers.

Have you tried the game with fraps of?

You mean with the custom settings? No. I couldn't see the drop in frame rate before when gliding around, so I'll have nothing at all to report if I try it with fraps off other then it caused a slightly longer load time and my game crashed after a couple minutes.

mileS

to be fair we had two people say that and one is confusing a crash with save files when it really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Khal_B

Up to now I am unable to play the game as it remains "unreleased" and it is now no longer available in my region in the Steam store, despite the fact that up to a couple days ago, I was able to access the store just fine with the countdown timer like everyone else. I'm not the only one: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1280

Now I'm reading through the threads here and on the Steam forums and I'm seeing a host of other problems and I'll never support WB/Rocksteady with another purchase at launch ever again. Five dollar Steam sale ftw. At least that way they I'll know for sure that they won't take my money and then make the game unavailable to me a couple days before launch.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If you've unlocked the files go to Steam/steamapps/common/batman2/binaries/win32 and run the exe there.

SoulClap

to be fair we had two people say that and one is confusing a crash with save files when it really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Not sure if you're referring to my situation but I'm certain it was related to a corrupt save file. I was playing the game earlier in the day and decided to start over. I deleted the save file then immediately created a new save before exiting the game. When I tried to play again an hour later the game would would crash as soon I hit the login button for GFWL. I reinstalled the game, checked for GFWL and Direct X updates and nothing worked. For some reason I was able to login this morning and the save file was marked as corrupted.

Dipswitch

Not sure if you're referring to my situation but I'm certain it was related to a corrupt save file. I was playing the game earlier in the day and decided to start over. I deleted the save file then immediately created a new save before exiting the game. When I tried to play again an hour later the game would would crash as soon I hit the login button for GFWL. I reinstalled the game, checked for GFWL and Direct X updates and nothing worked. For some reason I was able to login this morning and the save file was marked as corrupted.

Out of curiosity, did you delete the game save from within the game itself (Not sure if it even allows you to do that). Or via Windows Explorer?

XOMTOR

As a minor annoyance, a PS2 pad seems impossible to use now. I could get by in asylum since there were only a few gadgets on diagonals and I didn't use them often, but in this you change rather often.

Got my PS2 pad (Logitech Cordless Action controller) working just by using the Xbox360 controller emulator. Simply placed the 4 files: dinput8.dll, xinput1_3.dll, xinput9_1_0.dll, xbox360emu.ini in the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\batman2\Binaries\Win32

Able to select gadgets, even diagonal ones just fine now.

And the biggest problem: the game keeps crashing on me. After about 30 minutes of play the game will crash with the error that it ran out of video memory. I'm using a gtx 560 which has 1gb ram total. Shouldn't that be enough?

You should be able to maintain 60 fps on a 560Ti. What are your graphic settings? The only things I turned off was AO which looks like crap, and motion blur cause I hate that effect. My AA is at 8x and I'm at 1080p. My framerate is constant 60 but may dip to 55 when loading a new area.

Got a corrupted game save and all I did was start a new game. The game kept crashing as soon I tried to login to GFWL. What a piece of shit.

I just purchased it today from the Origin sale. Was having the problem where it would crash the minute the GFWL log in screen popped up (had to sit through all the splash screens multiple times). I tried pressing the home dashboard button or whatever they call it on the 360 controller before the game got to the GFWL screen and was able to log in from there. After that, GFWL made me install an update and shut the game down. Finally when launching it now, I'm able to start a new game. I typically had auto log-in set up for GFWL, I'm not sure if that's what was causing the problem.

Edit: Oh, after seeing your most recent posts, it sounds somewhat different since you were able to play it earlier in the day. I couldn't even get mine to work from a brand new fresh install, never played before. I really fucking hate GFWL.

Sectus

Got my PS2 pad (Logitech Cordless Action controller) working just by using the Xbox360 controller emulator. Simply placed the 4 files: dinput8.dll, xinput1_3.dll, xinput9_1_0.dll, xbox360emu.ini in the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\batman2\Binaries\Win32

Able to select gadgets, even diagonal ones just fine now.
http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4 - Is this the emulator? I'll give that a go since I would much prefer to play with the PS2 pad.

You should be able to maintain 60 fps on a 560Ti. What are your graphic settings? The only things I turned off was AO which looks like crap, and motion blur cause I hate that effect. My AA is at 8x and I'm at 1080p. My framerate is constant 60 but may dip to 55 when loading a new area.
I've got a normal GTX 560, not a Ti, I'm not sure what the performance difference is.

I played at 1080p, all settings at max except AA at fxaa high, no motion blur, no AO and no physx. And with those settings my out door framerate is around 30-40. It's possible I'm cpu limited. My CPU is a Core2Quad Q9400.

But well, right now the crashing problem is the most major problem... I'm not sure how to fix that. Asylum crashed quite a bit too, but it happened so rarely that I just stuck through it.

SoulClap

Out of curiosity, did you delete the game save from within the game itself (Not sure if it even allows you to do that). Or via Windows Explorer?

I deleted it from within the game itself. BTW thanks for the suggestion XOMTOR. If it happens again I'll try the offline method.

Khal_B

If you've unlocked the files go to Steam/steamapps/common/batman2/binaries/win32 and run the exe there.

Everytime I try to run it, it says it's not compatible with my version of Windows.

Edit:
When you say unlock, do you mean using a VPN to bypass region restrictions? I was tempted to try it, but when it was suggested on the Steam forums, a moderator came on and said that doing so could get your account suspended.

Arucardo

Runs nicely on my end, i5 2500k, 8gb ddr3 and a 560Ti at 1080p, dx9/10, 4x MSAA, PhysX on High. 90% time it's at 60+ fps and the minor stuttering when entering a new area doesn't bother me. Most of the drops below 60 are because of the heavy physics stuff.

XOMTOR

Is this the emulator? I'll give that a go since I would much prefer to play with the PS2 pad.

Yup, that's the one I'm using.

I've got a normal GTX 560, not a Ti, I'm not sure what the performance difference is.

I played at 1080p, all settings at max except AA at fxaa high, no motion blur, no AO and no physx. And with those settings my out door framerate is around 30-40. It's possible I'm cpu limited. My CPU is a Core2Quad Q9400.

I keep forgetting there was a regular 560. Anyway, I would think your rig should be able to handle this game fine. I'd try turning down a few settings one at a time to see if you can uncover the culprit. OTOH, some people seem to be running fine with lesser rigs so who knows.

But well, right now the crashing problem is the most major problem... I'm not sure how to fix that. Asylum crashed quite a bit too, but it happened so rarely that I just stuck through it.

G4WL? Are you loggin in okay? Try re-verifying your cache files as a few others have mentioned that there's were incomplete.

@ JacksUsername, I see that you mentioned you were prompted to install an update for G4WL and I've seen a few others mention this as well. Funny because I never had to update. The game installed the version it came with and as soon as I booted up the game for the first time, I created my offline account and the dialog went away; G4WL never updated anything. When I start the game now, the sign-in box appears but I click the X to get rid of it and it auto-loads my profile which I simply named "Catwoman". And yes, you're right, G4WL sucks!

Edit: did a bit of testing and it appears that whenever the game stutters momentarily, it's hitting the hard drive so it's obviously loading in assets. Other than that, game runs smooth and knock on wood, the only crash I had was when I disabled the Steam overlay.

Derrick01

Banned
I finished the story about an hour ago, really fantastic game and a much better overall game than AA. It lacks that WOW factor that AA had because the gameplay was unique and fresh, and because we had never played a good Batman game before but all of the combat and flight enhancements were really well done. Not to mention that playing as Catwoman was so damn fun.

The boss fights were a lot more fun too. There were at least 3 fights that I greatly enjoyed and the last boss was just ok but a ton better than AA's. I still have a lot left to go though, only about 45% done with the entire game. I only have about 200 of the Riddler secrets and I haven't touched the challenge rooms and campaigns yet. Not to mention I still have new game+ to go.

masterkajo

Stupid release dates and stuff. I missed the calendar man because the game was released today here in Europe. Next holiday is crhistmas...

Is there a way to somehow still get him to believe it is the 24th? Like change the date of you computer?

hlhbk

I have tried this and my FPS are still all over the place. They will be on 60 FPS, panned the camera around, and they flucuate. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

I am running in DX 9 mode, with everything on max except for physx and MSAA. Physx is off and MSAA is on 2x. I am running at 1920x1200 I have tried fxaa and no AA and I get the same performance. I have checked my GPU isn't even maxed out, so I don't get why my FPS are up and down. Anyone have any ideas?

At the suggestion of someone else at another forum I turned off Hyperthreading and the issues are still present. If I am in the court house looking down on the thugs on the inside it goes from 60 FPS to 30 FPS. Anyone have any other ideas? Possible .ini tweaks?

BlaneH

Banned
Game crashes the second it tries to connect to GFWL. So glad I got this for free or I'd be so pissed off. This PC release is crap.

Sectus

G4WL? Are you loggin in okay? Try re-verifying your cache files as a few others have mentioned that there's were incomplete.
I've had no problems with GFWL so far. The crashes I've had mentions running out of video memory and it happens after 10-15 minutes. However, I just played for 1-2 hours now and everything was fine. I did tweak the settings so maybe turning something off helped. The primary thing I changed was fxaa high to msaax4 and I think that actually helped my framerate. But well, I guess I'll just accept that my computer can't reach 60fps all the time while exploring the city.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So after some reading around, I saw this suggested .ini file tweak until the DX11 issues get sorted out. Does this look okay?

[Configuration]
BasedOn=..\BmGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

[SystemSettings]
Fullscreen=True
UseVsync=True
AllowD3D10=True
AllowD3D11=False
ResX=1920
ResY=1080
EffectsLevel=3
MultisampleMode=FXAA-HI
PostProcessAAType=7
AllowSubsurfaceScattering=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
DynamicLights=True
LensFlares=True
bAllowLightShafts=True
DynamicShadows=True
MotionBlur=True
Distortion=True
Reflections=True
AmbientOcclusion=True
DetailMode=2
MaxShadowResolution=4096
CompositeDynamicLights=False
bEnableVSMShadows=True
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=True
bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=True
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True
bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=True
IniVersion=6.9
TessellationAdaptivePixelsPerTriangle=256

[Engine.Engine]
bOnScreenKismetWarnings=FALSE
bSubtitlesEnabled=FALSE
PhysXLevel=1
bPhysXPatched=True
Language=Int

[DevOptions.Shaders]
bAllowMultiThreadedShaderCompile=True

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Soo, I'm getting a message that I need to sign in to Live... even though I'm signed in to Live. And now my saves are gone.

The Xbox Home button on the controller doesn't work either, for some reason.

XiaNaphryz

That isn't DX11, only DX10 at most (as far as I can read).
I know, but the game settings only let you choose from either DX9 or DX11, which means you wouldn't be able to get some DX10 stuff like SSS. And that ini file purposely has DX11 disabled due to all the issues with it, it's supposed to be a "best you can do until it gets fixed" sorta thing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Should there be savedata in the folder My Documents > WB Games> Batman Arkham City > Save Data folder? Because if so, Rocksteady can go fuck itself forever.

Edit: Whew, for some reason, I had to launch the .exe directly from the directory. My saves are still there and everything works normally this way.

Accidentally talked to Cash right after falling on top of him

The ensuing scene did not play, neither analog stick worked, and only one or two buttons did

Had to restart and do the room all over again, including story scenes.

XiaNaphryz

Should there be savedata in the folder My Documents > WB Games> Batman Arkham City > Save Data folder? Because if so, Rocksteady can go fuck itself forever.
Mine's empty, but my save data is fine.

I'm guessing it's actually stored wherever your GFWL profile is? Meaning on their servers unless you force it to go offline I'm assuming.

mileS

Its really amazing how they kept the save system the same as AA after the overwhelming response to how bad it was. Stop fucking over the community and listen for once when it comes ports to PC. SMH

bwtw

Neo Member
Try to load game -> black screen, can't do anything, Task manager out
Change AA -> black screen fixed, game crashes after pressing Start
Reinstall GFWL -> get through Start screen, crash after opening scene
Load game -> SecuROM error, won't load.

Great.

Zomba13

I could download my GMG copy today but when I did I noticed I was pretty much out of HDD space on my main drive.

I've got to move some stuff around/uninstall some games I never play. >.<

Top Bottom